ImageImageImage

Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Eagles Draft Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by Ong_dynasty » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:47 pm

To get things rolling I thought i'd start this

anyways what you guys expecting from the draft?

Im really puzzled this year as I have no idea what they'll be going for.
All I ask for is a 1st or 2nd round safety to be groomed after *gulp* dawkins.

and maybe a CB as well
philbe311
Starter
And1: 0

Post#2 » by philbe311 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:56 pm

Here is what I see as our areas of need:

Safety - Agreed. Dawk is aging and Constedine isn't a starter in this league

Linebacker - Still a concern, even after Spikes.

Tight End - I don't see Smith & the eagles coming to terms after this season.

RB - A big short yardage goal line back

DE - Kearse and Howard are overpaid and haven't produced to expected levels... As much as I hate taking another OL/DL in the 1st round I wouldn't be shocked..

As a side note, I'm GMing the eagles in the realgm mock draft... I took Jon Beason in the 1st round... This was before the Spikes signing... He reminds me of Demeaco Ryans last year in that forget the combines, the kid can just flat out lineback...
APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#3 » by APerna » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:22 pm

I'd like to take a back, as philbie mentioned. We need someone who can consistently spell Brian. I'd also agree with nearly any position on defense...
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Ong_dynasty » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:32 pm

Only RB that I'd really want is Michael Bush, due to the fact we can use a 3rd or 4th to get him and give him the year to get back in shape. I would not use the top 2 picks on him.

Linebacker-I'd like to maybe 2nd rounder tops. I still would like to see what Gocong and Gaither can do.

DL-As much as Kearse stats where never great I think he was more important to the team than the stats. Look how shaky the pass rush became after he got injured (granted it was only 2 games). We also still have cole and thomas available and I also expect more from howard with Kearse back. and theres always Mcdougle I guess :lol: .
Just not this year imo
DT-maybe, but theres already so much invested in it that it would not be wise to use a top pick on it.
later rounds fair enough
T.E- I can see that happening. But I would like Smith to stay so we'll see
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#5 » by youngcrev » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:41 pm

1: Safety: Need a guy to snatch up that starting job from Considine right away, and reduce him to spot play. With Considine and Mikell off the bench, we'd have some solid depth at the position for now and the future as well.

2: Cornerback: Need a bigger guy to complement Sheldon and Lito, who have trouble against Plaxico twice a year, as well as some other big Wide outs. Depth is also a concern here with Rod "where the Hood at" gone.

3: Linebacker: TKO was a great acquisition if healthy, but him and Trot are short term solutions. Gocong could still be a player, and I loved what I saw out of Gaither, but they could use a young impact guy at the position. Only problem is they haven't had much success drafting early at the position.

4: Running back/Full Back: Need a pounding, north-south runner to complement Westbrook and come in on short yardage downs. A big guy like Tony Hunt or Brian Leonard could come in handy.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#6 » by OMPunk » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:05 am

Everybodys saying what we already know.

We definitely need a short yardage power back, also the LBs are going to be very talented....however both Spikes and Trotter are getting up there in age. I'm not really worried about the Eagles picking up guys to "groom" for their aging veterans on the team, Philly always seems to have a firm grasp on talent and should be able to pick up plenty of guys in the draft that will be able to contribute in the future.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
Sixerlover
Starter

Post#7 » by Sixerlover » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:29 am

We have to remember that this was Considine's second year, and his first he didn't have any playing time at all. So he was pretty much a rookie last season. So we can't expect him to be an all-star corner his first year. Everyone should know that a player should have at least two years on the field to have the experience in playing these teams. It is different when you are in practice compared to a real game. We should at least see what he will bring this year, then make our decision on wheather we should start looking for another safety or else. I still feel that they should look into a fullback.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:34 am

Im not against considine as most people here are. But I think another safety is needed for 2 reasons. To challenge considine and for the replacement of dawkins
APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#9 » by APerna » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:58 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:Im not against considine as most people here are. But I think another safety is needed for 2 reasons. To challenge considine and for the replacement of dawkins

Considine is an amazing tackler. I don't think he got enough credit last year.
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:24 am

PacerPerspective wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh I agree, He is a very good open field tackler. But he just needs more muscle and I felt he was wearing down in the last couple of games.

I think he will get better this year, But when you consider Dawkins age and Considine is not a sure thing, a safety should be a priority to take in the draft
bech01a1
Senior

Post#11 » by bech01a1 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:48 pm

PacerPerspective wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. I'm not saying all hope is lost with him, I know he was under weight since he could train really because he was recovering from injury. But I saw nothing to indicate him being an "amazing tackler". Everyone keeps harping on the play where duece ran him over in the playoffs, but that was just one play. He completley whiffed at burress in the giants playoff game. In both the Jags, and the Colts games, all of their RB's constantly ran through his arm tackles.

I'm fully aware that he finished 3rd on the team in tackles. But I'm willing to bet if they kept a missed tackle stat, he would have led the team. Like I said, I haven't given up on him, he just didn't really impress me this year.
bech01a1
Senior

Post#12 » by bech01a1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:33 pm

You obviously don't know much about the eagles do you? Our offensive line is really deep. Our first round pick will almost without a doubt be someone on the defensive side of the ball.
tk_soccer9
Junior

Post#13 » by tk_soccer9 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 pm

I've recently posted a Draft Preview for the Eagles at The NFL Guru

http://www.NFLGuru.info
The NFL Guru- Your source for NFL news and analysis...

[quote:968267f139="Gilbert0Arenas"]Dallas doesn't win more than 7 games this year. Skins will make the playoffs.[/quote]
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#14 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Mike Walker (my school UCF) would be a steal in the 2nd Round. He's worth our 1st Round pick though considering how SOLID the man is. He's big, but he's still one of the fastest guys coming out of the Combine. :D :clap:
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:55 pm

tk_soccer9 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

While you're already deep at offensive line a club can never have too many offensive linemen. You also filled a couple major holes on defense when you acquired Montae Reagor and Takeo Spikes so the pick could very well be on the offensive side of the ball.

Don't be so sure when you say your first pick will be on the defensive side of the ball, it may not be. :wink:

I know where your coming from with offensive line, but I'd be very surprised if we pick an O-Line, I would put money down. We are really deep at the position.

and defensive side I think were looking at a safety or corner if not only position I can see on O is T.E due to L.J smith being in his last year of contract.
Those are the 3 positions I can really see us picking..But with the eagles brass, you never know
Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#16 » by Philly KDub » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm

our biggest needs are DE and S. i think we need a DE more than we do need a safety. our DEs didnt do much puttin pressure on QBs last year. if you want our defense to do better then we better put some pressure on the QB. it all starts with the DEs.
tk_soccer9
Junior

Post#17 » by tk_soccer9 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 am

KDubbz wrote:our biggest needs are DE and S. i think we need a DE more than we do need a safety. our DEs didnt do much puttin pressure on QBs last year. if you want our defense to do better then we better put some pressure on the QB. it all starts with the DEs.

Well you're getting Kearse back and when he's healthy he's an absolute monster. That really solves the pass-rushing problem that you pointed out which leaves safety. That's the most needed position for them but the problem is that there really isn't a nice fit for them at their spot.
http://www.NFLGuru.info

The NFL Guru- Your source for NFL news and analysis...

[quote:968267f139="Gilbert0Arenas"]Dallas doesn't win more than 7 games this year. Skins will make the playoffs.[/quote]
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Ong_dynasty » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:00 am

Yea Kearse was really important, even though he didnt get the sacks he gets the double teams which helps the other side.
It also gives Cole more rest.
I kno it was only 2 games but the first 2 games the pressure was crazy and we had two sets of 4 in the line
bech01a1
Senior

Post#19 » by bech01a1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:43 pm

tk_soccer9 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well you're getting Kearse back and when he's healthy he's an absolute monster. That really solves the pass-rushing problem that you pointed out which leaves safety. That's the most needed position for them but the problem is that there really isn't a nice fit for them at their spot.

We will still pick a DE with one of our first 3 picks i think based on the age, and injury problems of both kearse and howard.
Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#20 » by Philly KDub » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:09 pm

yea i know about kearse. he can be a monster but im still not sure about him coz of his health. thats why i want us to draft a DE in case kearse goes down again. he hasnt been THAT productive since signing with the eagles few years ago. hopefully this year can be different.

Return to Philadelphia Eagles