Chargers draft

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Chargers draft 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 pm

So anyone in particular you would want the Chargers to draft? What positions do you think they should focus on?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... s_jeremiah
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,152

Re: Chargers draft 

Post#2 » by Revived » Thu May 1, 2014 5:18 pm

If Lou Nix drops, then him. It would be a no brainer with our NTs being crap.

I like the the Guard Xavier as well.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#3 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu May 1, 2014 11:03 pm

I know the Chargers forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, so I'll check it out more and see what's happening. Basketball is my first love, but I do like football also. As far as the Chargers go I think we could improve our defense. I've been all in on the NBA lately so I'm not that familiar with the players in the NBA draft. Hopefully we can find someone that will help impact the defense.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Revived
RealGM

Post#4 » by Revived » Sun May 4, 2014 6:09 am

Thankfully no more AJ Smith, so no more drafting guys who nobody's ever heard of.

And hey how about we all browse these forums this next weekend to post our thoughts on the rookies that we draft?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 4, 2014 5:54 pm

SF88 wrote:Thankfully no more AJ Smith, so no more drafting guys who nobody's ever heard of.

And hey how about we all browse these forums this next weekend to post our thoughts on the rookies that we draft?

I will try to find other Chargers fans and guide them here for their thoughts.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#6 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Mon May 5, 2014 6:47 pm

I'll be checking out the forum. It would be nice if we could get more people on here. Hopefully the draft is a way to get that started.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Revived
RealGM

Post#7 » by Revived » Tue May 6, 2014 1:42 am

I think there's only like 10 of us on the real gm forum as a whole.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 7, 2014 4:52 am

I haven't seen anyone else with a Chargers logo in a while. I think I will try and contact some of have posted here before.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 7, 2014 4:10 pm

OK. The Chargers as we all know blew the draft with Larry English, instead of Clay Matthews from USC. But whats new. I would like for them to pick up one of those Stanford Linebackers if available. The Corners are giving up waay too much, so that is a need. But I always believe in the up the middle approach. DTackle. So that's an early prognostication for now. Some Linebackers. Some DBs. Some Dlinemen
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Revived
RealGM

Post#10 » by Revived » Wed May 7, 2014 11:19 pm

Don't forget WRs and OL. Keenan Allen is the only starting caliber one we got. Floyd's too injury prone.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 8, 2014 1:04 am

SF88 wrote:Don't forget WRs and OL. Keenan Allen is the only starting caliber one we got. Floyd's too injury prone.

Yeah, it's tough to know if the OL can play as well as they did last year. Because Rivers is a completely different qb with adequate protection. They are capable of winning and going far with a subpar D if he is able to be at his best with enough time in the pocket.

Obviously the D is the biggest priority, but it's just tough to know if the OL will come back strong again. Rivers can even do well with subpar receivers if he has adequate protection.

The draft will be interesting for sure.
Revived
RealGM

Post#12 » by Revived » Thu May 8, 2014 1:22 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:Don't forget WRs and OL. Keenan Allen is the only starting caliber one we got. Floyd's too injury prone.

Yeah, it's tough to know if the OL can play as well as they did last year. Because Rivers is a completely different qb with adequate protection. They are capable of winning and going far with a subpar D if he is able to be at his best with time.

Obviously the D is the biggest priority, but it's just tough to know if the OL will come back strong again. Rivers can even do well with subpar receivers if he has adequate protection.

The draft will be interesting for sure.

I thought in our playoff loss, our OL was what let us down the most.

Joe D made the O line look a lot better than it actually is. Imagine what he and Rivers could do with some OL players who are actually good.

Ryan Mathews running behind this guy instead of Clary would be just straight up nasty

http://boltbeat.com/2014/03/23/chargers ... -sua-filo/
Revived
RealGM

Post#13 » by Revived » Fri May 9, 2014 6:41 am

Jason Verrett yall...that's who it is.

I think we could have traded down and still got him. Plus he's a midget. Idk about that.

I'd like to have seen XSF, Roby or Nix.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:22 pm

SF88 wrote:Jason Verrett yall...that's who it is.

I think we could have traded down and still got him. Plus he's a midget. Idk about that.

I'd like to have seen XSF, Roby or Nix.

I just looked at Todd McShay's top 300 and he had Verrett 23 and Attaocho at 30, so according to him we got good value picks. Kiper had them both a little lower, but I like McShay better anyway.

23. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (Grade: 90): He's undersized but plays bigger and isn't afraid to deliver a big hit. He also has elite top-end speed and movement skills, allowing him to stick to receivers in coverage.

30. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech (Grade: 89): He came on strong down the stretch, and he has above-average, first-step quickness and explosive closing burst in getting to the QB.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:11 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I'm not that good at scouting NFL talent. I just know that we need some help on defense and so far we've taken two defensive players. We all know the draft isn't an exact science, so we'll see how Verrett and Attaochu turn out. I'm always optimistic so I hope they can make an impact.

Yeah, I have no idea about any of these guys outside of possibly the qbs in the draft. We also got a DT in the 5th round (Ryan Carrethers) who was ranked 9th among defensive tackles by Kiper.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Tevin Reese highlights

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCloVsqYUA[/youtube]
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Chargers also signed 17 undrafted free agents.

Mike Flacco spent four years playing minor league baseball before making the decision to go back to college to try his hand at the sport that’s made his brother Joe a rich man.

The younger Flacco played one year at New Haven as a tight end, catching nine touchdowns and averaging nearly 20 yards per catch. That wasn’t enough to get him drafted, but his skills impressed the Chargers enough for them to make him one of the 17 undrafted free agents that the team signed after the draft came to an end.

Auburn cornerback Chris Davis is another notable member of the undrafted free agent class. Davis made the play of the year in college football when he returned a missed field goal 109 yards for a touchdown to beat Alabama as time expired in the 2013 Iron Bowl.

The Chargers also signed Portland State running back D.J. Adams, West Texas A&M wide receiver Torrence Allen, North Texas wide receiver Brelan Chancellor, Arizona State safety Alden Darby, Washington cornerback Greg Ducre, Oregon State wide receiver Micah Hatfield, Arkansas wide receiver Javontee Herndon, New Mexico guard D.J. Johnson, Utah defensive lineman Tenny Palepoi, Wofford linebacker Alvin Scioneaux, Nebraska tackle Jeremiah Sirles, Nevada punter Chase Tenpenny, Boise State defensive lineman Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe, Illinois State linebacker Colton Underwood and Boston College tackle Ian White.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ee-agents/
Revived
RealGM

Post#18 » by Revived » Mon May 12, 2014 5:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Tevin Reese highlights

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCloVsqYUA[/youtube]

He's so skinny...I weighed more in middle school than he does now and I wasn't obese or anything either.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:40 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I'm not that good at scouting NFL talent. I just know that we need some help on defense and so far we've taken two defensive players. We all know the draft isn't an exact science, so we'll see how Verrett and Attaochu turn out. I'm always optimistic so I hope they can make an impact.

Well they've looked pretty promising so far, so lets hope they can bring it hard enough to get some quality playing time and make some big plays this year. Excited for next Monday.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:41 am

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I know the Chargers forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, so I'll check it out more and see what's happening. Basketball is my first love, but I do like football also. As far as the Chargers go I think we could improve our defense. I've been all in on the NBA lately so I'm not that familiar with the players in the NBA draft. Hopefully we can find someone that will help impact the defense.

I take it you are not around for a game thread tonight. I see you haven't logged in since Aug 26th. Are mods allowed to take that big of break?

Return to Los Angeles Chargers