Chargers @ Bills Game Thread

Moderator: bwgood77

matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Chargers @ Bills Game Thread 

Post#1 » by matt131 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Chargers head to Buffalo to battle the surprising 2-0 Bills. This promises to be an exciting, hard-hitting game. Unfortunately, the Chargers will be without RB Ryan Mathews (knee) and LB Melvin Ingram (hip). Expect Donald brown and Jerry Attaochu to fill in admirably for those players.

While the last time the Chargers played the Bills the score was incredibly lopsided in the favor of the Bolts (37-10), this game most likely will be much closer. A hostile environment, an improved offense for the Bills, and the fact that the Chargers often struggle to finish games will make this a very intriguing matchup.

Hopefully we can escape from Buffalo 2-1, and hopefully those trash-talking Seahawks can again destroy the Broncos, helping to even the race for AFC West leader.

BOLT UP!!!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,151

Re: Chargers @ Bills Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Revived » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Conservative playcalling but a win.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,359

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:02 am

Huge win. It's amazing how different this team feels without Norv coaching. I know McCoy has been there for a year, but it finally feels like there is no Norv effect left.

I honestly think they can compete with anyone.

How long is Woodhead out? The thing that hurts the most is that without him OR Mathews, the running game is not looking good. Woodhead is a pretty good weapon when we need to kill clock.

Brown may be better as time goes on, but I hope Woodhead gets back soon.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by matt131 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:Huge win. It's amazing how different this team feels without Norv coaching. I know McCoy has been there for a year, but it finally feels like there is no Norv effect left.

How long is Woodhead out? The thing that hurts the most is that without him OR Mathews, the running game is not looking good. Woodhead is a pretty good weapon when we need to kill clock.

I don't know for sure, but I think Danny's injury might require surgery (heard that on 'Football Night in San Diego'). Lucky thing is we SHOULD be 6-1 going into our first matchup against the Broncos. Even without Ryan or Danny, we should win the next 4 games (JAX, NYJ, OAK, KC). Lucky we signed Brown, but he's not the runner Mathews is and he isn't the pass catching, make-you-miss RB that Woodhead is. Still nice to have him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 am

matt131 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Huge win. It's amazing how different this team feels without Norv coaching. I know McCoy has been there for a year, but it finally feels like there is no Norv effect left.

I don't know for sure, but I think Danny's injury might require surgery (heard that on 'Football Night in San Diego'). Lucky thing is we SHOULD be 6-1 going into our first matchup against the Broncos. Even without Ryan or Danny, we should win the next 4 games (JAX, NYJ, OAK, KC). Lucky we signed Brown, but he's not the runner Mathews is and he isn't the pass catching, make-you-miss RB that Woodhead is. Still nice to have him.

Oh yeah, I'm very glad we signed Brown. I heard the surgery thing too on NBC but I was on the phone and wasn't sure they were talking about him even those his face was on the screen..because seeing that it was an ankle injury and surgery didn't seem to add up.

Time to sign Ray Rice or trade for Peterson. :lol:

I think we SHOULD be 6-1 going into the Denver game too, but I am always a little scared to count on victories. There is not way we should lose to any of those teams, but the Jets and KC could be a little tougher. We will see. I think we are clearly better than all of them though and the tougher ones are at home.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by matt131 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm

So Woodhead is out for the year with a broken fibula. Devastating. He was Rivers' security blanket, an amazing pass-catcher, and a solid, no-mistakes type of guy. Hopefully Mathews heals quickly and Brown gets used to the amount of contact he will now be forced to take. Maybe the rookie Oliver can show us something, but no one will be as trustworthy as Danny was. He was a very intelligent player as well. I know he can still be the mental and spiritual leader of our RB group.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 pm

matt131 wrote:So Woodhead is out for the year with a broken fibula. Devastating. He was Rivers' security blanket, an amazing pass-catcher, and a solid, no-mistakes type of guy. Hopefully Mathews heals quickly and Brown gets used to the amount of contact he will now be forced to take. Maybe the rookie Oliver can show us something, but no one will be as trustworthy as Danny was. He was a very intelligent player as well. I know he can still be the mental and spiritual leader of our RB group.

Yeah, hopefully Mathews will come back at full strength after the bye week and remain healthy. Woodhead is a huge loss. Luckily we signed Brown who is also a pretty good pass catcher.
Revived
RealGM

Post#8 » by Revived » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:39 am

Manti Te'o is also out for weeks with a sprained foot.

Hardwick, Mathews, Ingram, Woodhead, and now Te'o.

Chargers players are dropping like flies.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by matt131 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:37 pm

SF88 wrote:Manti Te'o is also out for weeks with a sprained foot.

Are you effing joking? This is unreal. Wasn't that Te'o's injury last year? Dude this isn't fair. Haha but our schedule is kind to us for the next 4 weeks. Still, if we face Denver as a 6-1 team, Rivers will be the leading candidate for MVP in my opinion.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:24 pm

matt131 wrote:

Are you effing joking? This is unreal. Wasn't that Te'o's injury last year? Dude this isn't fair. Haha but our schedule is kind to us for the next 4 weeks. Still, if we face Denver as a 6-1 team, Rivers will be the leading candidate for MVP in my opinion.

Rivers would have a good case for MVP if SD won the division and especially the top seed in the AFC, but everyone seems to be on Russell Wilson's jock so I wouldn't be surprised that even if Rivers ended up with better numbers than Wilson, and even though Wilson has the better D, if Wilson got it.
Revived
RealGM

Post#11 » by Revived » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:18 am

matt131 wrote:

Chargers always seem to play down its competition so I wouldn't call it so easy for the next 4 weeks even though it should be.

Te'o's 3rd foot injury since being drafted. He should got a foot transplant or something.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:39 am

SF88 wrote:
matt131 wrote:

Chargers always seem to play down its competition so I wouldn't call it so easy for the next 4 weeks even though it should be.

Te'o's 3rd foot injury since being drafted. He should got a foot transplant or something.

I was reading today that Ingram is out too, which I didn't know. That sucks.
Revived
RealGM

Post#13 » by Revived » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:
matt131 wrote:

Yea I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Our second rd pick Attaouchu also out.

I'm pissed that we passed on LaMichael James to sign a bunch of scrub RBs to replace Woodhead. Very bizarre.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:15 am

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:Chargers always seem to play down its competition so I wouldn't call it so easy for the next 4 weeks even though it should be.

Yea I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Our second rd pick Attaouchu also out.

I'm pissed that we passed on LaMichael James to sign a bunch of scrub RBs to replace Woodhead. Very bizarre.

Losing Grice is big. As a senior at ASU, he scored more receiving tds than any other rb in the country, so he was a decent replacement for Woodhead. Oliver is an ok receiver though.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers