2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Re: 49ers GM & HC News & Rumors 

Post#841 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Gase says decision to not hire him was Baalke's.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/adam-gase-baalke-made-decision-49ers
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#842 » by RedneckNiner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:33 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:Question Pozz you say Riddick would be your choice from the guys Jed picked. What about Gutenkest and Wolf. Admittedly as a casual fan I am not completely up to date on them. But looking at some of the stuff out there on them and how they have helped build the Packers to me they seem better choices than Riddick but that could because I am biased in the fact they are doing the job now while Riddick is an analyst. Decosta would be my first choice over all of them because the Ravens seem to always draft the players I like and I think they knock most of their drafts out of the park when it comes to finding quality players that fit their scheme. I am just curious as to your reasoning as you know more about most of these folks.

Just saw this for the first time (I'm really scattered today and haven't gone through each individual post in each thread for a little while).

Not a huge fan of Gutekunst other than some of his strong suits with his business background (similar to Tom Gamble a LITTLE bit in that regard). Everything I've gathered over the years is his make up and the types of players he's been tied to is just different stylistically and schematically than what I prefer. I can go into some more detail later (running short on time).

I used to have Wolf on my list of guys the 49ers should consider a couple years ago if they let go of Baalke but I've kind of cooled on him a little bit the more work I've done on him. More style/scheme concerns with him and some of the coaches I've heard he's tied with. I used to like Ted Thompson more than I do now as well. They all have shifted to a brand of football that personally I don't subscribe to with where the game is going. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that scouting department when Thompson leaves, though, because so much of it is his baby IMO.

Like I said somewhere in this thread already on DeCosta. The 49ers have tried multiple times to get him (dating back to the early 2000s) and they reportedly haven't gotten close at any point.

He would be one of the first people on my list of guys I'd call if I felt like there was a chance but Newsome and DeCosta collectively might be the hardest people to pry away from their current teams (Caserio was in that range I thought, too). The Ravens people just get it and I have more respect for what they do than JUST ABOUT any other organization in ANY MAJOR SPORT.

Sorry for kind of a shoddy and limited post but I'm just headed out for a bit and wanted to address this a little bit while I could. I'll come back to this later with some more.

Thanks Pozz for taking the time to answer and it makes sense and I agree with Decosta and the Ravens I wish the Niners could pry him out of Baltimore.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#843 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Gase says decision to not hire him was Baalke's.

Baalke should have been fired at the end of the year based on that decision alone. On top of being a bad judge of talent, he is an idiot also to have chosen Tomsula over Gase. I didn't think Baalke was that clueless and figured York was behind it. If this went down the way Gase stated I feel a little better about the Yorks with this. They did the right thing by leaving the decision up to the GM. They made the mistake of keeping him around too long.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#844 » by Dodub » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:42 pm

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#845 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Baalke should have been fired at the end of the year based on that decision alone. On top of being a bad judge of talent, he is an idiot also to have chosen Tomsula over Gase. I didn't think Baalke was that clueless and figured York was behind it. If this went down the way Gase stated I feel a little better about the Yorks with this. They did the right thing by leaving the decision up to the GM. They made the mistake of keeping him around too long.

Baalke should have been fired the moment he couldn't get along with the best coach this franchise has had since Bill Walsh.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#846 » by Jikkle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:09 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:

The Yorks were perfectly fine with Tomsula and probably preferred Tomsula over Gase anyways but let Baalke have the final call and went with whatever he said. That's why Baalke wasn't fired at the end of that year because Tomsula was their guy too or he would've been shown the door.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#847 » by Jikkle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Why would Shanahan be better or worse than any of the GM candidates on this?

49ers probably would have been better off if Harbaugh had the final say than Baalke. As it is, you can tell he had no enthusiasm for some of the picks, like Jenkins.

Last time 49ers had HC with more power in personnel, they ended up with better players. For instance, who made the key draft decisions when Nolan was in charge? Who decided to sign Justin Smith in free agency?

I don't know if Shanahan would be good at talent evaluation. I'd be interested to know what role if any he had in drafting Freeman, Coleman and Gabriel, for instance.

Because he's a HC and not a front office man, and the two roles need to be completely separate, especially if we're talking about a young, first time HC that needs to focus on coaching the team and nothing else?

Oh, and Nolan's power in the FO was stripped and given to McCloughan.

What a complete and utter sham. No self-respecting GM would sign on to play second fiddle to a 36-year-old HC that has NO drafting/personnel/scouting experience.

I agree! That's really pathetic on Jed to do. He seems to lack common sense when it comes to things such as these.

It's more desperation than anything because of his dumb decisions in prior years he has 0 leverage if he wants any of the top guys.

If a top candidate is going to risk his neck going into a questionable situation he's going to want more insurance to make sure he covers himself and that's obviously what Shanahan wanted.

I'm not happy with the arrangement because a young 1st time head coach should just only concern himself with coaching and getting that right instead of worrying about the draft too.

I can only hope that there will be a Carroll/Schneider like relationship that York wants and that Shanahan rarely exercises his final say powers and both the GM and Coach trust each other to make the right call. And I hope that experience with his old man has rubbed off on him because I would imagine he was heavily involved in the decision making in Washington when it came to players.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#849 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 am

I for one am glad McDaniels is not the coach. Or Riddick GM. I wanted nothing to do with any Belichick assistant. And if Riddick was such a great personnel man, why hasnt any team hired him since 2013? I am just fine and dandy with Shanahan and one of the Packers execs who are NOT puppets. They come from a first class front office and winning organization. You really think Eliot Wolf will be a puppet? Come on. They will work hand in hand.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#850 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

The Yorks were perfectly fine with Tomsula and probably preferred Tomsula over Gase anyways but let Baalke have the final call and went with whatever he said. That's why Baalke wasn't fired at the end of that year because Tomsula was their guy too or he would've been shown the door.

Or maybe Baalke saw in the interviews that Gase wasnt going to be a puppet and so he chose to hire Tomsula, someone no one else wanted and someone who would be happy to just be there. Which made Tomsula a perfect puppet to a power hungry GM.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#851 » by Dodub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 am

So I'm reading about Darren Perry and I'd be all for taking a chance on him. Even with the recent arrest. Seems like he could make a good DC
Dodub
General Manager

Post#852 » by Dodub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 am

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#853 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 am

Get this, Pats fans were hoping McDaniels would get the job with the 49ers and trade the #2 pick of the draft to the Pats for Garoppolo and #32 pick.

Not only did they think they could fleece the 49ers, they're assuming they're going to win the SB.

AT least that's what Bill Simmons is talking about in his latest podcast.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#854 » by Dodub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:55 am

wco81 wrote:Get this, Pats fans were hoping McDaniels would get the job with the 49ers and trade the #2 pick of the draft to the Pats for Garoppolo and #32 pick.

Not only did they think they could fleece the 49ers, they're assuming they're going to win the SB.

AT least that's what Bill Simmons is talking about in his latest podcast.

Honestly that's the trade I was expecting if we got McDaniels. However I said that we should also get a 2nd. It's a bad trade for us either way
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#855 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 am

For the love of Pete. If Haslett is anywhere around this franchise I'll be bedridden on Sundays. With that said, it was thought by some that Haslett was one of the many personalities Shanahan had issue(s) with so that one may not happen.

A few may remember me being a Manusky fan in general terms. Still am to some degree. He might be one of the best names Shanahan can get. Same with Pepper Johnson.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#856 » by RedneckNiner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:51 am

Darren Perry and Peppers both I find intriguing. They are both up and comers and both could be seing for tbe fence type of hires. Perry coming from Dom Vapers system holds an edge to me. But a first time head coach first time DC could end up going horribly wrong although either of those two candidates could also be a homerun. I would feel comfortable giving either of them a shot. In my pragmatic opinion the Niners are at rock bottom now might as well swing for the fences. They say fortune favors the bold. Although if you go that route i woul go with an expierenced coach for OC maybe Raheem Morris as OC/assistant head coach as im sure Shannahan is going to mostly run his offense and having someone who has been a head coach previously might balance out the inexpiernce of others. I know Rahim is wr coach atm but you bring him over for coaching experience. Or another former head coach or even a long time coordinator. Just my two cents.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#857 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:Darren Perry and Peppers both I find intriguing. They are both up and comers and both could be seing for tbe fence type of hires. Perry coming from Dom Vapers system holds an edge to me. But a first time head coach first time DC could end up going horribly wrong although either of those two candidates could also be a homerun. I would feel comfortable giving either of them a shot. In my pragmatic opinion the Niners are at rock bottom now might as well swing for the fences. They say fortune favors the bold. Although if you go that route i woul go with an expierenced coach for OC maybe Raheem Morris as OC/assistant head coach as im sure Shannahan is going to mostly run his offense and having someone who has been a head coach previously might balance out the inexpiernce of others. I know Rahim is wr coach atm but you bring him over for coaching experience. Or another former head coach or even a long time coordinator. Just my two cents.

This makes a whole lot of sense. Shanahan is not a total disciplinarian like a Bill Parcells or a Tom Coughlin, so Raheem though he's not a total Parcells type coach (in terms of personality w/ players), he does have somewhat of a authoritarian demeanor to him in terms of his coaching style. Shanahan seems the laid back type, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't be regarded as an authoritative figure in the locker room.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#858 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Maiocco:
Hearing it’s unlikely Kyle Shanahan will be allowed to bring any Falcons position coaches to staff with #49ers once hiring becomes official.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#859 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 pm

I've moved on from Manusky... he and Davis were not my favorites but improved after their SF stint respectively.

Darren Perry would be an interesting look, I'm open to it.

Rex is still my personal lead but i fear there is no relation between him and Shanny ATM
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#860 » by Dodub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Maiocco:
Hearing it’s unlikely Kyle Shanahan will be allowed to bring any Falcons position coaches to staff with #49ers once hiring becomes official.

That's not cool if they're going to block these guys from promotions.

Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers