ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 NFL Draft

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: 2015 NFL Draft 

Post#1041 » by I_am_1z » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:Excellent call on Jones, 1z. Dude's looking like the real deal. I don't know about best CB prospect in years, though.

Most (not myself) would consider Patrick Peterson to be the best CB prospect since 2011, despite Peterson being raw coming out of college. Byron Jones is about to prove he's just as athletic. Those jumping metrics are going to carry over to his speed. The friendly timers on his side means he might put up low 4.3 kind of numbers on his 40 time. He's world record leaper. His game at CB is very polished. He has the size: height, weight, arms, hands all check out. What exactly are you missing?
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#1042 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Jones is a stud. No doubt.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1043 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Man some of these ILBs are underwhelming. McKinney moves like a lead footed blocking TE. I want no part of him.
Anthony is an athletic freak but his tackling technique, play diagnostics, and strength leave a lot of room for improvement. Kid is the definition of happy feet. His speed and size are what he has going for him. Great at releasing and going after the QB though.
If Dawson hadn't timed so alarmingly poor he would be a no-brainer on the field.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1044 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Dawson on tape looked great... i'll roll with Dawson if possible in the 2nd... He's a good coverage LB....

maybe he'll fall 3rd or late 2... if so, I say trade up for him...
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1045 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Its not a great class for ILB to begin with, so i'm not expecting a HR type selection either...
The ModFather

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1046 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:46 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Dawson on tape looked great... i'll roll with Dawson if possible in the 2nd... He's a good coverage LB....

He has a bunch of off field concerns. Couple that with his times and it is a recipe for a draft tumble.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1047 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Dawson on tape looked great... i'll roll with Dawson if possible in the 2nd... He's a good coverage LB....

He has a bunch of off field concerns. Couple that with his times and it is a recipe for a draft tumble.

This whole off field issues is becoming a trending nightmare... some are serious and some are freaking overblown...IMO

anyhoot, if it helps(help meaning helps Niners) him slide down to late 2nd or early 3rd, i'm all for it... the guy was a stud for TCU
The ModFather

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1048 » by NinerSickness » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 am

With how this offseason is going, Baalke needs to just start putting up threes at this point. If they can't trade up for Leonard Williams, they need to just draft the best athletes in the draft & hope one of those guys turns out to be an all-pro'-caliber-or-close player IMO. If it does't work out, the team is worse & gets a better pick next year. If it does work out even better. Anything would be better than staying the same IMO.

1z's boy from UConn, Chris Conley, Ronald Darby, Gurley, Danielle Hunter, Bryce Petty and so on. These are the guys I want now. Might as well bet big if betting small is guarantees not to win a SB.

I'd rather get 1 all-pro' and 6 guys who don't make the team than a typical draft.

Man I'm frustrated with this team right now. :banghead:
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#1049 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:47 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Man some of these ILBs are underwhelming. McKinney moves like a lead footed blocking TE. I want no part of him.
Anthony is an athletic freak but his tackling technique, play diagnostics, and strength leave a lot of room for improvement. Kid is the definition of happy feet. His speed and size are what he has going for him. Great at releasing and going after the QB though.
If Dawson hadn't timed so alarmingly poor he would be a no-brainer on the field.

We should have drafted Telvin Smith last year. :-(
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#1050 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 am

I don't agree with his assessment that Vb can be moved in the inside (at least not on a "full-time" basis) and be as dominant at that spot, but that's something to keep a mind of nonetheless. I just think it takes much more than elite physical traits to play inside. Instincts is #1 IMO a la Chris Borland.

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers

An AFC defensive coordinator said Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley is the best outside linebacker in the draft.

"He's pretty much what you are looking for if you are a 3-4 team," the DC said. "I think he can play inside or outside because he moves so well. Out of the top-rated outside 'backers, he's the best in my opinion." The 6-foot-3-inch Beasley ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds at the combine and posted 44.5 TFL over the last two seasons. Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan compared Beasley's Indy workout to Mike Mamula's famous showing in 1995.
Source: NFL.com

Mar 19 - 8:23 PM
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1051 » by NinerSickness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 am

@Gil_Brandt

Jalen Collins (LSU- CB) had his foot operated on this past Thursday by Dr. Bob Anderson in North Carolina. Should be ready for mini camp

Baalke is drooling right now.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1052 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:10 am

NinerSickness wrote:With how this offseason is going, Baalke needs to just start putting up threes at this point. If they can't trade up for Leonard Williams, they need to just draft the best athletes in the draft & hope one of those guys turns out to be an all-pro'-caliber-or-close player IMO. If it does't work out, the team is worse & gets a better pick next year. If it does work out even better. Anything would be better than staying the same IMO.

1z's boy from UConn, Chris Conley, Ronald Darby, Gurley, Danielle Hunter, Bryce Petty and so on. These are the guys I want now. Might as well bet big if betting small is guarantees not to win a SB.

I'd rather get 1 all-pro' and 6 guys who don't make the team than a typical draft.

Man I'm frustrated with this team right now. :banghead:

I like Conley a lot. Very underutilized deep threat. I was hoping he would be a late rounder but as usual another combine explosion killed that for me.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1053 » by NinerSickness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:I like Conley a lot. Very underutilized deep threat. I was hoping he would be a late rounder but as usual another combine explosion killed that for me.

He could probably still be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

I say get all "potential" guys this year (or Leonard Williams).

I actually do like Conley; he's not just an athlete. He actually has good ball skills & big hands. He's a pretty good route runner too. He's part of the reason I don't want a WR in the first round.

Jalen Collins' foot surgery can't help his draft stock; maybe he drops to the end of the 2nd now? I don't like him very much, but he has the P word. I'd be interested if and only if he drops far enough. Maybe the 50-65 range.

Mario Edwards Jr. is another "potential" guy.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#1054 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Charles Robinson:

#NFL vet combine used electronic timing in 40 - NOT hand system used at combine/pro days. It's not apples 2 apples. Electronic always slower

Yes. Electronic hand pad at start of vet combine 40-dash. Much slower than combine. RT @ArifHasanNFL: they used electronic start, too? Oof.

@CenCalFaithful Yes. That's why the Amari Cooper time released at combine was inaccurate. He was much faster in times released to NFL teams

#NFL should've told reporters of electronic 40 disparity at vet combine. There's no electronic start at college combine. That = faster times

Teams were informed it was between 4.35-4.38 seconds. RT @askmetostay323: So, what is Amari Cooper’s official 40 time?

It wasn't. Official times showed a dead heat. RT @DigitalMayne: I assumed the Amari Cooper vs Kevin White was a video sync error before.

NFL source says vet combine 40 times should be adjusted .1 to .2 seconds faster when comparing to college combine. So 4.85 = 4.65 to 4.75.

I will repeat this for the millionth time. For me it's so much about how a player looks when running his time(s) and I've stopped listening to ANY opinion if a person did not see how a player looked when he ran. I have no use for an opinion if they can not describe to me in accurate detail what a player's running form looked like and how coached up their style appeared to look.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1055 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Correct. All forties should be based on video footage. This was apparent a couple years back when someone ran the fastest on video comparison yet their listed time was considerably slower. I forget who it was but it was a damn joke.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1056 » by NinerSickness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:56 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Correct. All forties should be based on video footage. This was apparent a couple years back when someone ran the fastest on video comparison yet their listed time was considerably slower. I forget who it was but it was a damn joke.

I'm more interested in the first 10 yards than anything else.

I never did get Jordan Matthews' 10-yard split from last year. :(
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#1057 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:22 am

Heard on various podcasts, which include former scouts, that combines don't change the grades of players, especially those at the top, that much.

They rely more on game film, to see how they played, than workout metrics.

If you think about the fastest players clocked at the combine, maybe only Daryl Green had a great career? Chris Johnson started out well but has petered out.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1058 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:38 am

wco81 wrote:Heard on various podcasts, which include former scouts, that combines don't change the grades of players, especially those at the top, that much.

They rely more on game film, to see how they played, than workout metrics.

If you think about the fastest players clocked at the combine, maybe only Daryl Green had a great career? Chris Johnson started out well but has petered out.

This might be closer to the truth now that Al Davis is no longer around. Without a doubt he drafted guys based on forty times. I bet there is still some personnel guys out there that do the same. We can't assume that every front office has guys that do their evaluations well.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1059 » by NinerSickness » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:00 am

Compensatory picks! WOOHOO! Finally some good news.

Niners get a 4th-round pick (132nd). Pretty good. They get a 7th rounder too, but that's pretty much worthless.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49e ... e90761243f
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#1060 » by I_am_1z » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:41 am

1st round, No. 15: Byron Jones, CB, UConn

2nd round, No. 46: Carl Davis, DE, Iowa

3rd round, No. 79: Donovan Smith, OT, PSU

4th round: Mike Hull, ILB, PSU

4th round, No. 132: Darren Waller, WR, GT

5th round: Kenny Bell, WR, WIS