ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Rookies Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Yadahell
Sophomore
And1: 6

Re: 2014 Rookies Thread 

Post#41 » by Yadahell » Fri Oct 3, 2014 3:15 pm

With the 49ers playing KC this week- keep your eye on rookie TE Travis Kelce. They do a lot of interesting things with him to get him in open space. A great red zone target as well.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#42 » by Dodub » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:43 pm

imac_21 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I'm glad you think so because all I was hearing was bad about his play. I actually haven't paid a ton of attention this season so far because of a few different things, but I'm glad to hear he's made a few good plays. Wouldn't want another Mike Rumph.

He also got abused pretty bad by Jordan Matthews at times during the Eagles game, I know the Eagles offense didn't have a ton of bright spots but that match up was one of them.

As a whole I would say he's had a below average showing as a slot CB, I also think that this highlights the fact that his future is at the safety position. We basically are playing him at CB out of necessity at this point but it's not ideal for him.

Matthews was targeted 7 times, caught 4 of them and had 28 yards receiving. I don't know that you can "abuse" a DB with those numbers. You might beat him for a catch, but if you're expecting any CB to pitch a shutout, you'll always be disappointed.

It was also shown (at Ninersnation) that Eric Reid was responsible for one of the TDs Arizona scored where Ward loooked bad (and Reid later said he screwed up), and on the other Perrish Cox vacates his zone (it's Cover 3) to jump a crossing route. Brown catches the TD in Cox's zone with Ward trailing. Ward looks bad because he's the DB on the screen when the TD is scored, but it was others' mistakes.

He's made some mistakes, he's been beaten a few times (but seriously, he was left 1 on 1 with Marshall in the redzone), but to start writing him off after 4 games where he's had some tough responsibilities (and has made some plays) is very premature.

Im not writing anyone off I said that he was better suited as a safety and we will see his true play when he goes to that position. As a CB his man cover skills just aren't there from what he's shown on the field.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#43 » by Dodub » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:45 pm

Yadahell wrote:With the 49ers playing KC this week- keep your eye on rookie TE Travis Kelce. They do a lot of interesting things with him to get him in open space. A great red zone target as well.

I've been pining him for a year now he's like baby Gronk, he's not a rookie but spent the majority of last season on the IR
Dodub
General Manager

Post#44 » by Dodub » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:48 pm

imac_21 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
It's posts like this that make me even more pissed the Niners left Bradley Roby on the board (along with not going after a big CB in FA he last 2 offseasons like your boy Sean Smith or my boy DRC a season ago). Ward never struck me as a CB. That said, I'll be patient & see how he progresses over the season.

Oh I agree. I would have loved to see them move up for Cooks or Fuller. They should have signed Sean Smith, you're right. He was super cheap.

I think Ward will be fine once he gets in his natural position but right now he's a bit out of his element.

Smith signed for 5.5M per year. That's not exactly "super cheap."

That's super cheap considering how much top level guys make (he's not too level yet) and guys like Brock make $4 million per year.
Mem49er
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#45 » by Mem49er » Sat Oct 4, 2014 10:56 pm

Yadahell wrote:With the 49ers playing KC this week- keep your eye on rookie TE Travis Kelce. They do a lot of interesting things with him to get him in open space. A great red zone target as well.

Oh, is he good? Who knew....

:tooth
Giggity, giggity!
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#46 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:38 pm

imac_21 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I'm glad you think so because all I was hearing was bad about his play. I actually haven't paid a ton of attention this season so far because of a few different things, but I'm glad to hear he's made a few good plays. Wouldn't want another Mike Rumph.

He also got abused pretty bad by Jordan Matthews at times during the Eagles game, I know the Eagles offense didn't have a ton of bright spots but that match up was one of them.

As a whole I would say he's had a below average showing as a slot CB, I also think that this highlights the fact that his future is at the safety position. We basically are playing him at CB out of necessity at this point but it's not ideal for him.

Matthews was targeted 7 times, caught 4 of them and had 28 yards receiving. I don't know that you can "abuse" a DB with those numbers. You might beat him for a catch, but if you're expecting any CB to pitch a shutout, you'll always be disappointed.

It was also shown (at Ninersnation) that Eric Reid was responsible for one of the TDs Arizona scored where Ward loooked bad (and Reid later said he screwed up), and on the other Perrish Cox vacates his zone (it's Cover 3) to jump a crossing route. Brown catches the TD in Cox's zone with Ward trailing. Ward looks bad because he's the DB on the screen when the TD is scored, but it was others' mistakes.

He's made some mistakes, he's been beaten a few times (but seriously, he was left 1 on 1 with Marshall in the redzone), but to start writing him off after 4 games where he's had some tough responsibilities (and has made some plays) is very premature.

To expand on the bolded part a little bit. Ward vs. Matthews numbers specifically:

Thrown at 3 times, 3 receptions given up for only 17 yards with 6 yards after the catch and a long reception of 8 yards.
Yadahell
Sophomore

Post#47 » by Yadahell » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:24 pm

Odell Beckham Jr. looked pretty good in his NFL debut:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014 ... hyped.html
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#48 » by NinerSickness » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:40 am

Watching EJ Gaines on the Rams yesterday was painful. The Niners could use him IMO. And he was a 6th-round pick.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by NinerSickness » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:18 pm

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -week-6-3/

Aaron Lynch made he top 10 on this list! :)

My guy EJ Gaines allowing only 52% of the passes made to his guy to be completed. Wish he were a Niner. :banghead:
Yadahell
Sophomore

Post#50 » by Yadahell » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Min rueful starting to look money for Indy. Is that your boy Sick?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 am

Yadahell wrote:Min rueful starting to look money for Indy. Is that your boy Sick?

:o Who's Min Rueful?

The only Colt rookie who was absolutely my boy is Dontae Moncrief. 113 yards & a TD on 7 grabs tonight. Looks like he's coming along nicely.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#52 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 am

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Brandin Cooks like good but let's keep things in perspective - Drew Brees and that offense also have something to do with that. If he was on, say, the Raiders, he wouldn't have half the production.

If he were on the Raiders, he'd be the #1 receiver; so I think he' might have more production.

Cooks is in the perfect offense for him, but he's also perfect for that offense.

I disagree. Drew Brees has a lot to do with his success. Why is Cooks any different than Tavon Austin? He is couple inches taller and thats it. Both are explosive. But one BIG difference. One has Drew Brees, the other has Austin Davis. End of discussion.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:37 am

imac_21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:So how is everyone feeling about Jimmie Ward? Does he just look like a bust? Or is he potentially a really good safety who just so happens to be playing corner right now?

He's a rookie who is playing pretty well but had the unfortunate assignment of trying to man cover Brandon Marshall in the endzone, and then Larry Fitzgerald the next week. Fans saw him get eaten up by two of the best in the game and have decided he's playing horribly.

He's not.

He made a couple very nice plays against Arizona, he played well against Philly, and he's 4 games into his NFL career.

From all the articles I read, the coaching staff is pleased with Ward.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by NinerSickness » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 pm

FINALLY!!!!! HE DOES EXIST!!!

My guy James Stone, an undrafted center from the Vol's, is going to start for the Falcons on Sunday. I've literally never heard anyone else on planet earth say anything about this guy until now. I was starting to think he was a figment of my imagination.

His next assignment: Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley. :o

I hate to root for an Atlanta Falcon, but I hope the guy does well. Always like him.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:10 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Why is Cooks any different than Tavon Austin? He is couple inches taller and thats it. Both are explosive. But one BIG difference. One has Drew Brees, the other has Austin Davis. End of discussion.

Cooks has a better 2nd gear, he's taller, bigger, tougher, has bigger hands, has longer arms, jumps higher, was more productive in college w/ a MUCH worse QB...

...Cooks is better than Tavon Austin in every way except acceleration, and they're about equal in that respect. Cooks is Simon; Tavon is Garfunkle.

What is it with holding it against Cooks because he has a good QB? Jerry Rice & Terrell Owens had great QBs too; that doesn't mean those WRs weren't great too. Cooks is one of the many WRs from this draft who is looking great so far. Not just good; he's looking great. Like he should've gone top 10.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:17 am

49er4life1979 wrote:From all the articles I read, the coaching staff is pleased with Ward.

I'm not sure I buy that. I haven't seen a ton of him this year, but the last bit of what I saw didn't look good. Not saying he's a bad player; I just think he's a safety playing CB. He's the heir to Bethea when Bethea's salary gets too big IMO. He's a guy who needs to play going forwards not backwards IMO.

Man I'm pissed the Niners didn't get a CB. Is not secret I wanted Bradley Roby. W/ Aldon, the VP & Bowman back (not to mention Dorsey & M.Martin), they would've been unstoppable w/ another really good CB. Maybe Dontae Johnson will make me forget about this...
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:12 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Why is Cooks any different than Tavon Austin? He is couple inches taller and thats it. Both are explosive. But one BIG difference. One has Drew Brees, the other has Austin Davis. End of discussion.

Cooks has a better 2nd gear, he's taller, bigger, tougher, has bigger hands, has longer arms, jumps higher, was more productive in college w/ a MUCH worse QB...

...Cooks is better than Tavon Austin in every way except acceleration, and they're about equal in that respect. Cooks is Simon; Tavon is Garfunkle.

What is it with holding it against Cooks because he has a good QB? Jerry Rice & Terrell Owens had great QBs too; that doesn't mean those WRs weren't great too. Cooks is one of the many WRs from this draft who is looking great so far. Not just good; he's looking great. Like he should've gone top 10.

I had Cooks as the 4th best WR coming out of the 2014 draft: Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, and Odell Beckham were all better than him IMO. So maybe not top 10, but top 20-25 sounds right.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#58 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Nov 2, 2014 5:35 pm

Moncrief. That's my dude.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#59 » by I_am_1z » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:32 am

So this Martavis Bryant guy is pretty good.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#60 » by I_am_1z » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:36 am

By the way, Jeremy Hill is clearly better than Carlos Hyde.

Return to San Francisco 49ers