Post#41 » by NinerSickness » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 am

Gone:

Brooks.
Dawson. :(
Dahl

Will walk 'cause the Niners can't afford 'em:

Skuta, Crabs, Iupati, Cox

Niners should consider trading:

Bethea, Boone (only if it means keeping Iupati).

They probably won't sign any FAs from other teams except guys making around the minimum. If Cully is back, I think they're ok at CB w/ him and Dontae Johnson w/ Brock or Ward in the slot. And Ack Attack & Reaser provide good competition.

Just keep those draft steals coming and, for the love of crap, extend Harbaugh at all costs, and the Niners will keep this thing going.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Re: LOOMING EXTENSIONS 

Post#42 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

Gone:

Brooks.
Dawson. :(
Dahl

Will walk 'cause the Niners can't afford 'em:

Skuta, Crabs, Iupati, Cox

Niners should consider trading:

Bethea, Boone (only if it means keeping Iupati).

They probably won't sign any FAs from other teams except guys making around the minimum. If Cully is back, I think they're ok at CB w/ him and Dontae Johnson w/ Brock or Ward in the slot. And Ack Attack & Reaser provide good competition.

Just keep those draft steals coming and, for the love of crap, extend Harbaugh at all costs, and the Niners will keep this thing going.

You are overthinking this. That same article stated the Niners can gain an immediate $8 million in cap room by restructuring Kap's contract. So with that we are already at +4 million in room. In addition, cutting Brooks would open up another $4 mil. So thats 8 million in room right there. Iupati is as good as gone. Probably Crabtree too. Niners will only sign or the other (Iupati or Boone).
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#43 » by NinerSickness » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 am

49er4life1979 wrote:You are overthinking this. That same article stated the Niners can gain an immediate $8 million in cap room by restructuring Kap's contract. So with that we are already at +4 million in room. In addition, cutting Brooks would open up another $4 mil. So thats 8 million in room right there. Iupati is as good as gone. Probably Crabtree too. Niners will only sign or the other (Iupati or Boone).

I think you're under-thinking this. Restructuring Kaepernick's contract would be a terrible mistake unless the team is trying to sign an enormous FA like Suh or something.

But I'm not sure where you're disagreeing because you said the same thing I did. I think either Boone or Iupati gets an extension, and I really hope it's Iupati. I don't think Cox will be back though. It'd be nice if he is, but I doubt it.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#44 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:22 am

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:You are overthinking this. That same article stated the Niners can gain an immediate $8 million in cap room by restructuring Kap's contract. So with that we are already at +4 million in room. In addition, cutting Brooks would open up another $4 mil. So thats 8 million in room right there. Iupati is as good as gone. Probably Crabtree too. Niners will only sign or the other (Iupati or Boone).

I think you're under-thinking this. Restructuring Kaepernick's contract would be a terrible mistake unless the team is trying to sign an enormous FA like Suh or something.

But I'm not sure where you're disagreeing because you said the same thing I did. I think either Boone or Iupati gets an extension, and I really hope it's Iupati. I don't think Cox will be back though. It'd be nice if he is, but I doubt it.

I highly doubt they trade Bethea, he's played very well this season at SS...And I believe you wrote Dawson is gone too, and again, he's a great kicker who is having another great season so I think he stays too. As for Kap, the Niners have shown a willingness to restructure deals - though they prefer not to do it. I have faith in Baalke and Paarag to manage the cap and get everything accomplished they set out to.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#45 » by NinerSickness » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 am

49er4life1979 wrote:I highly doubt they trade Bethea, he's played very well this season at SS...And I believe you wrote Dawson is gone too, and again, he's a great kicker who is having another great season so I think he stays too. As for Kap, the Niners have shown a willingness to restructure deals - though they prefer not to do it. I have faith in Baalke and Paarag to manage the cap and get everything accomplished they set out to.

I don't think they're going to trade Bethea either. I think they should consider it depending on how much faith they have in Ward. Bethea has trade value, but his salary is pretty high.

Dawson might be back, but I don't think he's going to be at his salary. We'll see.

And of course they're willing to restructure Kaepernick's deal if necessary; it would just be a really bad idea unless they want to sign a huge FA. And I don't think that's a good idea unless JSmith retires.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#46 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:46 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:I highly doubt they trade Bethea, he's played very well this season at SS...And I believe you wrote Dawson is gone too, and again, he's a great kicker who is having another great season so I think he stays too. As for Kap, the Niners have shown a willingness to restructure deals - though they prefer not to do it. I have faith in Baalke and Paarag to manage the cap and get everything accomplished they set out to.

I don't think they're going to trade Bethea either. I think they should consider it depending on how much faith they have in Ward. Bethea has trade value, but his salary is pretty high.

Dawson might be back, but I don't think he's going to be at his salary. We'll see.

And of course they're willing to restructure Kaepernick's deal if necessary; it would just be a really bad idea unless they want to sign a huge FA. And I don't think that's a good idea unless JSmith retires.

That's a fair point. But the 49ers have not once signed a big name free agent under Baalke. He doesnt believe in bringing in a player from the outside and making him the highest paid or one of the highest paid on the team. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for them to restructure Kap so they can maybe keep one of their own free agents or sign a player to an extension. In years past, they have restructured Willis, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, and I believe Bowman too (I could be wrong on this one though).

Return to San Francisco 49ers