Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: 49ers off-season talk 

Post#1321 » by I_am_1z » Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:
shouldakepowens wrote:@newsdamian: BREAKING. Deja Vu. Ray McDonald arrested again. Domestic Violence. Possible Child Endangerment. #SCPD. @ChicagoBears

It's weird that he didn't have these kind of problems before, but now that he's 30 the dude's all-of-a-sudden imploding.

I bet you're still sorry we didn't keep him. :)
DreDinis21
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#1322 » by DreDinis21 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:29 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:UNDRAFTED WR HOPING TO STICK WITH 49ERS

http://sfo.scout.com/story/1548464-undr ... with-49ers

Anderson said his injured knee was given a 'C' grade by some NFL team doctors, meaning there was significant risk in drafting him.

"That’s barely draftable, according to NFL teams," Anderson said, noting his agent told him, "A team may take a chance on you, it’s kind of doubtful right now."

I hope this is a kid we are redshirting for next season.
DreDinis21
Sophomore

Post#1323 » by DreDinis21 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:39 pm

MHSL82 wrote:
shouldakepowens wrote:@newsdamian: BREAKING. Deja Vu. Ray McDonald arrested again. Domestic Violence. Possible Child Endangerment. #SCPD. @ChicagoBears

Was just going to post this, serves Chicago right for signing him anyway. I dislike when teams think they are outsmarting others, getting good players at discounted rates because of off-the-field issues. (Not that we don't do it and benefit from it.) The only way to teach players that it isn't tolerated is to not sign them, not to sign them at a discount.

Having said all that, second chances are good (though I don't know what chance this is for Mac, depends on who you believe). I just wish the teams would have to risk real money to sign these guys and if these guys are caught doing it again, teams would lose the money but the player wouldn't get it. It would go elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind the NFL stepping in (if they are going to make the arrests a big deal and suspend them beyond what criminal & civil courts are doing) and forcing teams that sign players cut from other teams for disciplinary issues to guarantee the initial contract fully, meaning that there would be a full cap hit if they cut said player in the future. Maybe teams would think twice before signing a guy who obviously f'd up or he wouldn't be available.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#1324 » by ChrisPozz » Tue May 26, 2015 1:33 am

DreDinis21 wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

Was just going to post this, serves Chicago right for signing him anyway. I dislike when teams think they are outsmarting others, getting good players at discounted rates because of off-the-field issues. (Not that we don't do it and benefit from it.) The only way to teach players that it isn't tolerated is to not sign them, not to sign them at a discount.

Having said all that, second chances are good (though I don't know what chance this is for Mac, depends on who you believe). I just wish the teams would have to risk real money to sign these guys and if these guys are caught doing it again, teams would lose the money but the player wouldn't get it. It would go elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind the NFL stepping in (if they are going to make the arrests a big deal and suspend them beyond what criminal & civil courts are doing) and forcing teams that sign players cut from other teams for disciplinary issues to guarantee the initial contract fully, meaning that there would be a full cap hit if they cut said player in the future. Maybe teams would think twice before signing a guy who obviously f'd up or he wouldn't be available.

Goodell said during the last CBA negotiations that they were kicking around the idea of enforcing penalties in the form of draft picks docked to any team(s) who signed players that have backgrounds similar to the one that Ray McDonald has created for himself. It was right after when the Cincinnati Bengals had all those arrests one right after the other and continually were taking on high character risks.

I'm not sure whatever became of it in the negotiations but it went from Goodell saying the league was looking into doing it and would possibly soon implement a plan and then all of a sudden it died down and I never heard about the idea again after that for some reason.

My only problem with that idea was that I'd have a concern of how you enforce something like that. Do teams get docked after a certain number of arrests from players they added and would a team be affected the same way for an arrest or arrests that the courts/league deem a "minor" offense compared to ones that they deem "major" offenses? There would be a lot of grey area there that would have to be discussed if they went to this kind of plan IMO.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#1325 » by Jikkle » Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 pm

DreDinis21 wrote:I wouldn't mind the NFL stepping in (if they are going to make the arrests a big deal and suspend them beyond what criminal & civil courts are doing) and forcing teams that sign players cut from other teams for disciplinary issues to guarantee the initial contract fully, meaning that there would be a full cap hit if they cut said player in the future. Maybe teams would think twice before signing a guy who obviously f'd up or he wouldn't be available.

Team disciplining would be over policing it and I feel the punishment should be strictly for the players who are the ones responsible for their own actions.

My biggest concern would be that it would discourage teams giving players second chances and some guys do get their act together and stay out of trouble.

Pac Man Jones got into a ton of trouble early on but he's been relatively off the radar in terms of getting into trouble. It's still early but so far we haven't heard a peep about Aldon Smith as well.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1326 » by NinerSickness » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 am

DreDinis21 wrote:I wouldn't mind the NFL stepping in (if they are going to make the arrests a big deal and suspend them beyond what criminal & civil courts are doing) and forcing teams that sign players cut from other teams for disciplinary issues to guarantee the initial contract fully, meaning that there would be a full cap hit if they cut said player in the future. Maybe teams would think twice before signing a guy who obviously f'd up or he wouldn't be available.

Wouldn't that possibly reward a player for being a dumb@ss?

I think a better idea would be to punish both the player and the team when a player f***s up.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#1327 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed May 27, 2015 1:52 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

It's weird that he didn't have these kind of problems before, but now that he's 30 the dude's all-of-a-sudden imploding.

"Had a baby by the wrong bitch."
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#1328 » by MHSL82 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:49 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

"Had a baby by the wrong bitch."

Again, but for violating a restraining order. I don't think he hit or did anything like that again. Still, twice in 72 hours: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12965 ... -violation
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1329 » by MHSL82 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 am

NinerSickness wrote:

I think a better idea would be to punish both the player and the team when a player f***s up.

I imagine DreyDinis21 was thinking about guaranteeing it on the salary cap but not giving it to the player. Also, if they were to guarantee it, not pay it (goes somewhere else - charity, etc. - team has to lose that money), and can't sign with another team (either practically or permissibly, perhaps).

But that would punish a team more than the $1M New England got - so maybe it should cost 0.5 - 1.0 M, a draft pick (maybe not), and salary cap space for the entire contract.

Make it risky for the team, not just others.
DreDinis21
Sophomore

Post#1330 » by DreDinis21 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 am

MHSL82 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

I imagine DreyDinis21 was thinking about guaranteeing it on the salary cap but not giving it to the player. Also, if they were to guarantee it, not pay it (goes somewhere else - charity, etc. - team has to lose that money), and can't sign with another team (either practically or permissibly, perhaps).

But that would punish a team more than the $1M New England got - so maybe it should cost 0.5 - 1.0 M, a draft pick (maybe not), and salary cap space for the entire contract.

Make it risky for the team, not just others.

Like you stated above, my thought was to make the CAP HIT on the contract fully guaranteed. I would have no interest in paying an employee his/her full contract if they breach it based on criminal activity. DAL openly looked the other way and signed Greg Hardy, despite the severity of his crime, to a helluva lot of cheddar. They gave him an incentive based contract that didn't hurt them one bit when they found out he was going to be suspended for 10 games. If he f's up again, I feel as if DAL should be on the hook somehow and what better way to impact the team then to mandate that the contract signed with said player is fully guaranteed (from strictly a cap perspective) throughout the life of the contract. DAL suddenly would have to deal with a $10 mil cap hit, which severely hampers their ability to run their team.
DreDinis21
Sophomore

Post#1331 » by DreDinis21 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 am

A little bit off topic.

Brandon Thomas is a BIG F'N DUDE! Like built like a facking coke machine wide with shoulders that need their own zip code. Dude is one of the larger OL I have seen while not looking sloppy fat. He looks as if wearing 320 is completely natural to him.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1332 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 am

DreDinis21 wrote:A little bit off topic.

Brandon Thomas is a BIG F'N DUDE! Like built like a facking coke machine wide with shoulders that need their own zip code. Dude is one of the larger OL I have seen while not looking sloppy fat. He looks as if wearing 320 is completely natural to him.

One of my favourite picks from last year.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#1333 » by Jikkle » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing him and Martin together on the field as that would be a huge mass of humanity to run behind.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1334 » by MHSL82 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:45 am

Jikkle wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing him and Martin together on the field as that would be a huge mass of humanity to run behind.

Didn't Martin get cut or is it a different Martin? Different team? Re-signed?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1335 » by CalamityX12 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 am

MHSL82 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Didn't Martin get cut or is it a different Martin? Different team? Re-signed?

Marcus Martin is good

Jonathan Martin is bad!!!!!(and cut)
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Mem49er
Sophomore

Post#1336 » by Mem49er » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

Jikkle wrote:

Anyone else worried about the ramifications of our new zone blocking schemes for these guys due to their size?
Giggity, giggity!
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#1337 » by I_am_1z » Fri May 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Mem49er wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Anyone else worried about the ramifications of our new zone blocking schemes for these guys due to their size?

Worried? What are the chances that any run scheme the 49ers implement this year is it's worse than last year? We have an athletic HUGE Offensive line. They can maul and get to the 2nd level.

---

Any follow basketball feel like the Thibodeau firing in Chicago was very similar to Harbaugh's?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1338 » by CalamityX12 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Any follow basketball feel like the Thibodeau firing in Chicago was very similar to Harbaugh's?

LOL I kid you not, I had the same type of reaction/mindset yesterday when the news broke out...

I was thinking how funny it would be if Chicago used "mutually parted ways" HA
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1339 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri May 29, 2015 10:33 pm

I know the Warriors were very interested in Hoiberg before they hired Kerr. I'd expect him to do well with the Bulls.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1340 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri May 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Oh and...Go Dubs. I'm going to Game 1 of the Finals.

Return to San Francisco 49ers