WR Lance Lewis
T Chris Martin
NT Garrison Smith
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: 49ers off-season talk 

Post#2 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:39 am

I think the Niners need to let Culliver & Cox both walk. Let the youngs play. Neither of 'em are great CBs, and people pa a premium for FA CBs. Don't pay a premium. Let Donte play one spot and let the 2 CBs from last year compete (possibly w/ a rook?) for the other spot.

I see the CB position like the WR position. The Niners have a ton of 2nd-tier guys. If they sign a FA CB he needs to be a #1 guy like Revis.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 am

going to be a long ten days lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#4 » by RedneckNiner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 am

I would like to see the Niners keep Cox he played remarkably well. AAs for the rest of the offeseason short of them miraclously making a good hire for the head coach I am having trouble looking forward to anything with more than a sense of apathy. I understand there are two sides but you don't force a winning coach out just because your ego isn't getting stroked enough. ANd frankly I have zero faith in York and Baalke's ability to hire a coach that will be anything special.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#5 » by I_am_1z » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:35 am

When one of our very own interview for the HC job, is it just done as a formality or is the coach/coordinator seriously interested in the job?
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#6 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:18 am

I_am_1z wrote:When one of our very own interview for the HC job, is it just done as a formality or is the coach/coordinator seriously interested in the job?

Tomsula and Fangio are legitimately interested in becoming head coaches and now I am sure they would like to do so in San Francisco.

Owners sometimes look inside their own house when a replacement is needed, and that can have many advantages, but it's not extremely common to have somebody in house that gets interviewed and it's even more rare to have two men in house after a change that are considered to be among the top candidates in the league.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#7 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:18 am

I_am_1z wrote:When one of our very own interview for the HC job, is it just done as a formality or is the coach/coordinator seriously interested in the job?

I'm worried what happens if Vic doesn't get hired? Does he bolt for feeling dissed or passed over?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 am

CalamityX12 wrote:

I'm worried what happens if Vic doesn't get hired? Does he bolt for feeling dissed or passed over?

I know the other day I said strongly that I do not see Fangio on staff next season unless it's as head coach but I shouldn't have QUITE gone that far. I do think there's a chance that if Fangio is passed over for every other job that there's a shot that Rex Ryan could look to keep him on board if the 49ers went with Ryan. Both men are VERY good friends and both have talked about how each has made each other better as coaches. Of course if Ryan was hired I'd put my money on somebody else as his DC just because the odds favor that obviously, but there'd be an outside shot that Rex would consider him given their history/relationship IMO. I don't see Fangio staying on board in any other scenario, though.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#9 » by I_am_1z » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:30 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:

I know the other day I said strongly that I do not see Fangio on staff next season unless it's as head coach but I shouldn't have QUITE gone that far. I do think there's a chance that if Fangio is passed over for every other job that there's a shot that Rex Ryan could look to keep him on board if the 49ers went with Ryan. Both men are VERY good friends and both have talked about how each has made each other better as coaches. Of course if Ryan was hired I'd put my money on somebody else as his DC just because the odds favor that obviously, but there'd be an outside shot that Rex would consider him given their history/relationship IMO. I don't see Fangio staying on board in any other scenario, though.

What about the Tomsula scenario?! :evil: I want hope
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#10 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 am

I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I'm worried what happens if Vic doesn't get hired? Does he bolt for feeling dissed or passed over?

The chances of Tomsula returning in some role if he's not head coach are higher than Fangio's IMO. That wouldn't absolutely shock me but I would say the interest in him is going to be pretty big from other teams, too.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#11 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:56 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

The chances of Tomsula returning in some role if he's not head coach are higher than Fangio's IMO. That wouldn't absolutely shock me but I would say the interest in him is going to be pretty big from other teams, too.

And among the things it could take to keep him is his "assistant head coach" title that he once had which gave him an increase in salary from most other DL coaches.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 am

I think Rex Ryan should be the next head coach of the 49ers.

Here's a list of players I don't think the Niners should bring back because I think they need a rebuilding year or for other reasons:

Kaepernick
Crabtree
Brooks
Boldin (not ready to compete for SB in 2015 IMO)
Gore (ditto)
Culliver (don't wanna pay a premium for an average CB; play the youngs)
Cox (same)
Skuta (will cost too much)

And if I had my way, the Niners would pay up for Iupati since JSmith retired and RayMac was cut and because of the cap room saved from those other guys not returning.

Sign: Ndamokung Suh, Iupati. And maybe a QB like Sanchez or Hoyer. Draft a QB either way.

Bring back the 2009 / 2010 Jets! Great OL & defense & maybe even the Sanchize (and Rex Ryan of course).
michaelwarner
Junior
And1: 42

Post#13 » by michaelwarner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:34 am

RedneckNiner wrote:I would like to see the Niners keep Cox he played remarkably well. AAs for the rest of the offeseason short of them miraclously making a good hire for the head coach I am having trouble looking forward to anything with more than a sense of apathy. I understand there are two sides but you don't force a winning coach out just because your ego isn't getting stroked enough. ANd frankly I have zero faith in York and Baalke's ability to hire a coach that will be anything special.

They did pretty well last time out.
RedneckNiner
Veteran

Post#14 » by RedneckNiner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes and we all know how easy it is to find great coaches... York's have also given us singletary and nolan. So 33% of the time they are successful. I'd have more faith except they ran off a really good coach. And to sickness I'd love the Niners to sign Suh but don't see how that's realistic considering cap room.
RedneckNiner
Veteran

Post#15 » by RedneckNiner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:19 pm

My off-season hope would be Rex Ryan as coach.
Beg plead to get the cowboy back for one more ride
Restructure or trade or cut Vernon.
Restructure trade or cut Brooks
Let Culliver walk
Bring back Cox if he's reasonable
If reasonable sign iupati otherwise let him go
Keep wilhoute
Draft a tall speedy receiver there's a few but none I'm in love with like I was with Beckham last year and get Gurley to replace Gore.
Sign Sanchez to push Kaep
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:58 pm

NinerSickness wrote:I think the Niners need to let Culliver & Cox both walk. Let the youngs play. Neither of 'em are great CBs, and people pa a premium for FA CBs. Don't pay a premium. Let Donte play one spot and let the 2 CBs from last year compete (possibly w/ a rook?) for the other spot.

I see the CB position like the WR position. The Niners have a ton of 2nd-tier guys. If they sign a FA CB he needs to be a #1 guy like Revis.

It would be tough to let both of those guys walk, IMO. I suppose Brock will be back next year - frankly forget he's on the team sometimes - but we're still very thin at the position. Dontae had some very good moments, especially for a rookie later-round pick, but he also blew plenty of coverages. I'd like to hang onto at least two of our experienced, starter-caliber players. That said, I agree that it would be tough to pay either guy top dollar.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#17 » by Tomikcon1971 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:35 pm

Dontae looks good at times but he missed some tackles and even a sack on a blitz that led to a big play. Gotta clean that up. Also, he bit on some fakes that I'll give him a pass on based on his rookie status. He's impressed me way more than Ward at this point.

I agree that we need to keep either Cox or Culliver......hard to let both walk. There are a lot of things I really like about Culliver but he doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the Chandelier. Cox had an issue in Denver but he's been a model citizen in SFO as far as I know. I wonder if Cook will come back. He looked okay before he hit IR.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#18 » by Tomikcon1971 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:41 pm

And one more thing......let's shave the offensive coaching staff down from 12. You shouldn't need more coaches than players on the field, especially when it yields such poor results.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#19 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:09 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

I'm guessing Tomsula will hang around unless he gets an HC gig from another team. Currently his best and closest shot at becoming a HC is still with the 9ers even if he does get passed over in this round of hires.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#20 » by I_am_1z » Thu Jan 1, 2015 3:23 am

Just thought this was interesting. I stand fully behind Baalke's decision though.

Return to San Francisco 49ers