ImageImageImageImageImage

POTENTIAL EXTENSIONS

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

POTENTIAL EXTENSIONS 

Post#1 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:56 am

Anyone expect a contract extension or two to get done during camp or preseason? If so, who do you think? Aldon Smith? Or do they wait until after the season to see how he does first? They can always use the franchise tag on him anyway. I guess Aldon should give the Niners a hometown discount after they way they supported him through his troubles....Michael Wilhoite? Ian Williams? Anquan Boldin?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: POTENTIAL EXTENSIONS 

Post#2 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:04 pm

Not really. No great candidates. Ian Williams is possible, but he's had so many injury issues. Smith needs to prove it on and off the field this season, IMO.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#3 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:01 am

If Looney shows well and locks up a spot then I could see him possibly getting an extension.
imac_21
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#4 » by imac_21 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:23 am

I think the top candidate is Hunter. He's on a one year right now, and if he stays healthy could be had for a really good price. Not in the pre-season though. That wouldn't come until November or so.

The dark horse is Boone. That will be influenced by conversations with Davis and how whoever ends up at RT performs early. I don't see Boone getting an extension at LG, but at RT (then Martin, Kilgore and Thomas become the interior OL).

Boldin's a no. I think if he shows he's still got it, we negotiate with him in February. If he wants 5 or 6 M per still, he walks. I'm hoping Smelter can get activated for some of camp and we can get a good long look at him.

I don't see Aldon getting one, and can't think of anyone else who is eligible and worthwhile.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#5 » by Tomikcon1971 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:48 pm

The sarcastic part of me says Trent resigns Dahl for 3 more years.

Man, I hope that guy is gone by the end of camp.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#6 » by NinerSickness » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:14 pm

I believe in the "buy-low-sell-high" personnel philosophy. And just because a player is low doesn't mean he'll eventually get better; and just because he's playing extremely well doesn't mean he won't play even better or the same for a long time. But when a player's play is a lot better or worse than what one would expect from the guy, that says a lot about whether or not you should give him an extension IMO.

If the Niners don't extend Aldon's contract or at least tag him in the offseason, they're out of their minds (assuming he doesn't ***k up again). They need to put all kinds of clauses in there to limit the financial damage done if he blows it again, but Aldon is still the most valuable commodity the team has had in a long, long time: a young, all-pro' pass rusher.

I say let Boone walk. He sucks. Same with Looney.

I say extend Vernon's deal. It's a buy-low situation. He knows he won't get a ton of money elsewhere, so I think the Niners have almost all of the leverage.

I don't think I'd give Hunter a long-term extension just because he's not a guy on whom you can rely for 2 consecutive seasons. He's never going to get more than a series of 1-year deals or the equivalent thereof IMO.

Boldin needs to go. His time is up.

I say give Dorsey an extension. Can't have too many good DL for reasonable prices.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#7 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 4:05 pm

Of the list that was provided, I see Smith as the most likely. But in his case, I think the FO would rather wait till year end to make sure he stays out of trouble and is still effective. I could see him being franchised. Boone could be a possibility also. Don't see Boldin. He is too old. I could see another one to two year deal at the most, assuming he plays at a high level throughout the season. Davis is turning 31 years old and I don't see the 49ers giving him an extension but i he has a great season I could see them giving him a short term contract
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 3, 2015 5:31 pm

With Aldon, unless the FO has tremendous faith on his return on and off the field, I don't see it getting done at this time. If he starts off well, I could see a mid-year extension. I don't think his pricetag goes up all that much between now and the end of the year, though, particularly if the Niners protect themselves against off-field stuff. Yes, he's coming off a down year. But he's still going to want to be paid up there with Justin Houston.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by NinerSickness » Mon Aug 3, 2015 5:50 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:With Aldon, unless the FO has tremendous faith on his return on and off the field, I don't see it getting done at this time. If he starts off well, I could see a mid-year extension. I don't think his pricetag goes up all that much between now and the end of the year, though, particularly if the Niners protect themselves against off-field stuff. Yes, he's coming off a down year. But he's still going to want to be paid up there with Justin Houston.

Aldon has "franchise tag" written all over him. Although I think now is the best time to give him an extension.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Tomikcon1971 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 5:54 pm

I see Davis finishing his career as a Raven, with and outside shot as a Patriot.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#11 » by Jikkle » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:13 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:With Aldon, unless the FO has tremendous faith on his return on and off the field, I don't see it getting done at this time. If he starts off well, I could see a mid-year extension. I don't think his pricetag goes up all that much between now and the end of the year, though, particularly if the Niners protect themselves against off-field stuff. Yes, he's coming off a down year. But he's still going to want to be paid up there with Justin Houston.

Aldon has "franchise tag" written all over him. Although I think now is the best time to give him an extension.

If Aldon has at least a good season and doesn't go full idiot and get himself into trouble I think he'll get an extension over the franchise tag.

Tagging Aldon would just make him more expensive in the long run and Baalke is a guy that tends to get guys extended if he can before they get even more expensive.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:41 am

Jikkle wrote:If Aldon has at least a good season and doesn't go full idiot and get himself into trouble I think he'll get an extension over the franchise tag.

I hope you're right. But I think the time to give him an extension is now.

Backload the guaranteed money with behavioural clauses. The money will be guaranteed throughout the contract as long as he doesn't screw up. Cut him and he still gets the money (unless he get arrested or something).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:55 am

i can only see tagging Aldon if we don't plan to keep him longterm.

Based on reports out of camp, I'd strongly consider extending Ian Williams. Of course, he's been looking good when on the field for a while now. It's just been a matter of staying on the field. Still, we could probably get him at a pretty reasonable price if we extended him now.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Tomikcon1971 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 4:00 am

Way too complicated guys. Top 9-10 players get $100 million and let's move on.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#15 » by Jikkle » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:23 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Jikkle wrote:If Aldon has at least a good season and doesn't go full idiot and get himself into trouble I think he'll get an extension over the franchise tag.

I hope you're right. But I think the time to give him an extension is now.

Backload the guaranteed money with behavioural clauses. The money will be guaranteed throughout the contract as long as he doesn't screw up. Cut him and he still gets the money (unless he get arrested or something).

Me personally I would do an extension now.

But from the team's perspective I'm sure they are looking at a PR nightmare if they give him an extension now and he screws up even if there are clauses in his contract. If he keeps his nose clean this year and they do an extension than he screws up at least they could shrug their shoulders and claim they really believed he had it all together.

From Aldon's perspective he knows his stock is at an all time low so I'm sure his mentality is to play out the year and have a monster season to increase his payday and leverage. If he registers 15+ sacks this season he'll get a truckload of money from somebody.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#16 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 11:28 pm

Baalke talked about it yesterday, his priority is Aldon Smith being locked long term. Smith's agent was at practice yesterday too.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Aug 6, 2015 12:25 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Baalke talked about it yesterday, his priority is Aldon Smith being locked long term. Smith's agent was at practice yesterday too.

I don't know how much stock we can put in Baalke's statements, but we'll see. It wouldn't be beyond the pale for us to extend him.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#18 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:52 am

Ian Williams and Michael Wilhoite are two of my favorite developmental players on ANY team in the NFL and would far and away be the top two candidates to look into re-signing if I were in charge.

Ian is/was one of my highest rated UDFA signings of any team since I started following the draft closely in '99. I still believe that if he stays healthy, which complicates matters obviously, he has monster explosion potential with a chance to be a defensive cornerstone when you add up everything - his ability, personality, and overall make-up.

He's a rare find in today's NFL IMO. But again, he has GOT to stay healthy and I'd almost definitely take on the health risk if it meant they can lock him up long-term for what could be a bargain price vs. what it could end up costing if they wait and he starts to hit the massive potential.

--------------

Hunter has been one of my favorite acquisitions in a while as well but with the injuries lately and the position he plays I've cooled off on that idea quite a bit since then. Also, if I were the one in charge again, I just feel like I'm the type of person who has a pretty dang good eye for RB talent and it's a position I feel like I can hit big on better than just about any other, so when I take that into account I'd probably wait to see if he can hold up for a good stretch before I'd make the final call on him. Plus, I don't think you run the risk of having to pay TOO much more if you wait. You may run the risk of him wanting to look elsewhere for a better opportunity, though, which is maybe almost as big of a concern as the injuries.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#19 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Aug 6, 2015 4:04 am

Also, since I have some time, in alphabetical order, here are some of my other favorite, non-rookie, developmental players that could wind up on the list for extensions down the road:

Kenneth Acker
Asante Cleveland
Chuck Jacobs
Dontae Johnson
L.J. McCray
Mike Purcell
Keith Reaser

I did not include Carlos Hyde on this list as I don't see him as a similar developmental type. As many/most might know, I think he's a flat out stud from the get go if he has even remotely the right people surrounding and working with him. He's on his own type of list. I'm already thinking of the day when he's eligible for an extension.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#20 » by Jikkle » Thu Aug 6, 2015 9:35 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Ian is/was one of my highest rated UDFA signings of any team since I started following the draft closely in '99. I still believe that if he stays healthy, which complicates matters obviously, he has monster explosion potential with a chance to be a defensive cornerstone when you add up everything - his ability, personality, and overall make-up.

He's a rare find in today's NFL IMO. But again, he has GOT to stay healthy and I'd almost definitely take on the health risk if it meant they can lock him up long-term for what could be a bargain price vs. what it could end up costing if they wait and he starts to hit the massive potential.

Ian seems more unlucky than injury prone so I don't see health being a problem. Both his injuries seemed like the "would happen to anyone" kind of injuries.

Though I would load up on calcium if I was him.....

Return to San Francisco 49ers