ImageImageImageImageImage

2016 SF 49ers Head Coach Hunt

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Preemptive coaching change thread 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:35 am

As many of you already know, I'm not a fan of this coaching staff at all, so this is gonna be (my) preemptive coaching thread. I started the same one when Mike Singletary was in town and the first name I dropped was Jim Harbaugh.

The first name I'm gonna drop here is Brian Kelly...though this is much more of a stretch than Harbaugh ever was. I'd throw money bags at him to get him out of South Bend.

On a more realistic note, and sticking with the collegiate theme, I like Gus Malzahn. He'd be my second choice if we were to dip again into the college ranks.

In the NFL, it's pretty dry for me as far as intriguing coaching candidates go, but if Sean Peyton or Chip Kelly were fired, I'd give him them a call immediately.

My top choices right now would be:

1. Sean Payton
2. Brian Kelly
3. Chip Kelly
4. Gus Malzahn
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Re: Preemptive coaching change thread 

Post#2 » by Tomikcon1971 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:22 am

Ugh, not a fan of 3 or 4. I'm down with Payton though as long as he leaves his Lynnard Skynnard DC behind.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Post#3 » by 49rangER » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:43 am

Little to early for this nonsense. No way tomsila would be let go after 1 year seeing as how the situation the guys been put in. It's only week 3 let's wait a while shall we.

Only thing I will add is that Payton is the only one that would intrigue me if we had to start over next year.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#4 » by Tomikcon1971 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 am

And to be clear, I'm not in Clyde's preemptive camp.....just responding to the list.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:13 am

clyde21 wrote:As many of you already know, I'm not a fan of this coaching staff at all, so this is gonna be (my) preemptive coaching thread. I started the same one when Mike Singletary was in town and the first name I dropped was Jim Harbaugh.

The first name I'm gonna drop here is Brian Kelly...though this is much more of a stretch than Harbaugh ever was. I'd throw money bags at him to get him out of South Bend.

On a more realistic note, and sticking with the collegiate theme, I like Gus Malzahn. He'd be my second choice if we were to dip again into the college ranks.

In the NFL, it's pretty dry for me as far as intriguing coaching candidates go, but if Sean Peyton or Chip Kelly were fired, I'd give him them a call immediately.

1. Sean Payton
2. Brian Kelly
3. Chip Kelly
4. Gus Malzahn

Your Payton / Goff idea is actually quite tempting. My only question is Goff's arm (and it looks better than last year by a little bit so far; although I missed any plays this weekend when he threw it on a rope). But I think Goff would be perfect for a Drew-Brees kind of offense.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#6 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:22 am

Jets and Falcons are both 2-0.

Did the 49ers interview Bowlea or Bradley?

Did they even try?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:30 am

wco81 wrote:Jets and Falcons are both 2-0.

Did the 49ers interview Bowlea or Bradley?

Did they even try?

Dan Quinn was one of the few guys I thought would end up being a very good coach. :(

This could be a hidden blessing: team tanks and gets a QB. :nod:
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#8 » by DoobieKeebler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 am

49rangER wrote:Little to early for this nonsense. No way tomsila would be let go after 1 year seeing as how the situation the guys been put in. It's only week 3 let's wait a while shall we.

Only thing I will add is that Payton is the only one that would intrigue me if we had to start over next year.

I highly doubt the point of the thread is that we need a new coaching staff BECAUSE of what we've seen from the first 2 weeks of the season, but that even if Tomsula overachieves as head coach, he'll never be able to bring a Lombardi Trophy to San Francisco (or SC, I guess.* Ugh.) because unless he "2000-2001 Dilfer"s his way to a Super Bowl victory, aka everyone on the team is just so much better than the competition that all he has to do is not single handedly fuhck everything up himself, he'll most likely never be good enough to out coach any coach of significance the team faces during a playoff run.

I like Tomsula, but with just using names off the top of my head, I severely doubt Tomsula would be able to out coach a Sean Payton, Bill Belicheck, Mike Tomlin (already proved this one), Chuck Pagano, Pete Carroll (Image), Bruce Arians, John Harbaugh, Gary Kubiak, Chip Kelly, Tom Coughlin or Mike McCarthy. And even though their teams won't even make the playoffs, probably not even a Bill O'Brien or Jay Gruden, either

*If/When SF whens a Super Bowl, be it this year or 20 down the line, where is the parade? SF or SC? (rhetorical question. I know it happens in SF.)
wco81
RealGM

Post#9 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 am

It could be the repeat of the Singletary syndrome.

Limited coaching experience (yes a lot of years but not on different teams which coordinators typically end up logging before they're HC candidates) means no network of top assistants to join his staff. Or ambitious coaches wanting to work under him to learn, as Holmgren sought out working for Walsh.

So Singletary could only attract journeymen coaches whom most teams didn't want for coordinators or HC.

Well let's be real. Gase didn't want to work for Tomsula and Baalke basically got guys who didn't have many other options. Mangini was the TE coach, even though his background was defense -- wonder if Harbaugh hired him or Baalke did.

If they have a poor season, like under 7 wins, they may try to replace the coordinators but probably won't find that any candidates wanted by other teams would come here, unless York was willing to significantly outpay other teams.

But there is no economic pressure for York to change coaches. With the PSLs and season tickets locked in, he could keep Tomsula for 5 years, no matter the record. If they become doormats, there will be empty stands but the season tickets will be sold out. Could hurt parking and concession revenues but compared to how much more he'd have to pay for a top HC and assistants, maybe he comes out even or even slightly ahead.

If he's pissed at the flack he got for how he handled the Harbaugh situation, he could decide to flip the bird to the fanbase for years.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 am

49rangER wrote:Little to early for this nonsense. No way tomsila would be let go after 1 year seeing as how the situation the guys been put in. It's only week 3 let's wait a while shall we.

You're right. I don't think he'll get fired.

York has a hard on for Baalke, and Baalke has a hard on for Tomsula. Unfortunately we're stuck with Baalke and Tomsula for the foreseeable future.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:55 am

clyde21 wrote:
49rangER wrote:York has a hard on for Baalke, and Baalke has a hard on for Tomsula. Unfortunately we're stuck with Baalke and Tomsula for the foreseeable future.

You're probably right, but I could honestly see the Niners losing the next 9 games in a row. Maybe 10 if they don't travel well to Chicago.

1-10 might be enough to make my dreams of a new coach & QB come true...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:58 am

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:As many of you already know, I'm not a fan of this coaching staff at all, so this is gonna be (my) preemptive coaching thread. I started the same one when Mike Singletary was in town and the first name I dropped was Jim Harbaugh.

1. Sean Payton
2. Brian Kelly
3. Chip Kelly
4. Gus Malzahn

Your Payton / Goff idea is actually quite tempting. My only question is Goff's arm (and it looks better than last year by a little bit so far; although I missed any plays this weekend when he threw it on a rope). But I think Goff would be perfect for a Drew-Brees kind of offense.

Goff's arm compares favorably to a Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers. In fact, those two would be my closest comparisons for him.

Payton/Goff would be an absolute dream. Payton also would be awesome with a guy like Bruce Ellington as Pozz pointed out.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#13 » by MHSL82 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 am

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
49rangER wrote:York has a hard on for Baalke, and Baalke has a hard on for Tomsula. Unfortunately we're stuck with Baalke and Tomsula for the foreseeable future.

You're probably right, but I could honestly see the Niners losing the next 9 games in a row. Maybe 10 if they don't travel well to Chicago.

1-10 might be enough to make my dreams of a new coach & QB come true...

Hate to break it to you, but 1-10 is not enough, we'll be 2-9 or better, and Kaepernick will get at least the first year with the new coach... and Tomsula will be here next year. So you can figure out the math on the timeline.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#14 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I want no Chip Kelly wearing my 49ers shield on his jacket. He's getting exposed and showing he's a one trick phony with no managerial skills what so ever. The idiot got rid of players that made his system work/plausible and drafts for Bradford, that's terrible!

Gus is someone that intrigues me from the college ranks. Idk what his interests of jumping into the NFL are.

Gary Patterson of TCU would be awesome for me. I'd like to see him succeed here for sure
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#15 » by zman1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:18 pm

How about a change in management before a change in HC? Who hired the guy you already want to fire?
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#16 » by I_am_1z » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Exactly why are we firing Tomsula? Can someone explain this to me...?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#17 » by Jikkle » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Baalke would have to go before a coaching change happens. He's in York's ear and he sold him on the idea that talent trumps coaching and you don't need a big name (spend big money) on coaching.

Tomsula has exceeded my low expectations but my concern from earlier still stands in that he just doesn't seem to have the strong connections needed to assemble a top tier staff.

It's never a good sign when your offensive coordinator is basically the last person hired and it's not a good sign when you don't already have at least one side of the ball all ready to go in terms of coaching. The entire staff is just a patchwork of guys jumbled together.

Tomsula may have the chops to be a good head coach but he was better served being a coordinator first and being on staff to a few different NFL teams to build up some connections.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#18 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Tomsula was my last choice of HC's from the rumored list of candidates. Still, talking about the current assistants, the 49ers had the highest paid assistants in the NFL under Harbaugh. The defensive staff was good under Harbaugh but the offensive staff left alot to be desired. There are some good coaches on this staff. Foerester is a really good oline coach, but he doesn't have alot to work with. There are also some of harbaugh's carryover here. While was not a fan and skeptical of Tomsula as the HC, not ready to throw in towel yet. We can play Fantasy Football with the coaching staff but it has no impact on who will be hired anyway.
wco81
RealGM

Post#19 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:Baalke would have to go before a coaching change happens. He's in York's ear and he sold him on the idea that talent trumps coaching and you don't need a big name (spend big money) on coaching.

Tomsula has exceeded my low expectations but my concern from earlier still stands in that he just doesn't seem to have the strong connections needed to assemble a top tier staff.

It's never a good sign when your offensive coordinator is basically the last person hired and it's not a good sign when you don't already have at least one side of the ball all ready to go in terms of coaching. The entire staff is just a patchwork of guys jumbled together.

Tomsula may have the chops to be a good head coach but he was better served being a coordinator first and being on staff to a few different NFL teams to build up some connections.

And this is a repeat of the Singletary mistake.

Singletary was a fan favorite to an extent, a player favorite, based on his interim tenure. But he have very limited coaching experience and none as a coordinator.

It allowed York and the front office to be lazy, not go out and look at other candidates.

Then pursuing Harbaugh was also kind of lazy. Don't think they really interviewed other candidates.

That Jed is willing to risk the same kind of thing with another HC who won't have the pull is an indication that he doesn't care about results on the field for at least a few seasons, since there is no financial incentive to win because of SBLs are sold out at Levis.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Heard a former Jets safety on 95.7 the game today who was crapping on Mangini. I'm blanking on his name now. Feels he's out of his league as a DC. Got to hope he's wrong. I think we've got to start giving Harold some passing down snaps over Brooks. Brooks hasn't gotten within three yards of the QB this season. Might as well see if the young kid can step in and contribute, or if we have a huge need next offseason.

It would seem that all those reports about our great DL in training camp should have been (and was, by many) read as an indictment of our shoddy OL play rather than a positive for our pass rush. Granted that's before we really lost Aldon.

Return to San Francisco 49ers