ImageImageImageImageImage

AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT...

Moderators: Wolfay, CalamityX12, MHSL82

I_am_1z
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,354
And1: 30
Joined: Aug 22, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#61 » by I_am_1z » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:59 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Anyone in the boat of getting Fournette or Foster with our first round pick, needs to meet an iceberg


I was in that boat then Foster lowered his shoulder and the iceberg became ice cubes for my Scotch. Foster will be an absolute beast.... one of my favorites since Earl Thomas on the defensive side. True I would prefer Garrett but Foster would be a great consolation prize.


What does he offer in terms of coverage? He's a great, instinctive run stopper obviously, but can he defend TEs or RBs to any degree?
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 2,920
And1: 149
Joined: May 09, 2014
       

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#62 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 pm

WTF are we gonna do at #2. The great mystery...
Bingo_AlphaMan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,187
And1: 41
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#63 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:WTF are we gonna do at #2. The great mystery...


It's almost obvious that we'll be trading down:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mock-draft-5-0-jets-trade-up-to-take-a-qb/?utm_content=buffer3ba3c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl
CrimsonCrew
Analyst
Posts: 3,548
And1: 136
Joined: Aug 21, 2014
 

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#64 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:WTF are we gonna do at #2. The great mystery...


It's almost obvious that we'll be trading down:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mock-draft-5-0-jets-trade-up-to-take-a-qb/?utm_content=buffer3ba3c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl


If we can find a partner. The Bears adding Glennon at such a high sticker price kind of hurts our leverage with QB-needy teams. It's pretty clear we won't get the haul the Titans did last year. Depending upon how far back we drop, I'd consider a second this year or a first next year.
CrimsonCrew
Analyst
Posts: 3,548
And1: 136
Joined: Aug 21, 2014
 

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#65 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

That PFF scenario is more or less what I'd like to see, though I'd obviously prefer not to send a 4th rounder back their way in that case. Honestly, I could see a couple trades back, though Barnett is probably the guy I target if we stay in that 5-10 range.
TheMonarch
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 22, 2015
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#66 » by TheMonarch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 am

There doesn't seem to be any player worth taking at the #2 for the 9ers. I know a lot of people have proposed trading down to get more picks, but what about trading up? What do you think it would take to get the #1 pick from Cleveland in order to draft Myles Garrett?
Bingo_AlphaMan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,187
And1: 41
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#67 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 pm

TheMonarch wrote:There doesn't seem to be any player worth taking at the #2 for the 9ers. I know a lot of people have proposed trading down to get more picks, but what about trading up? What do you think it would take to get the #1 pick from Cleveland in order to draft Myles Garrett?


In addition to our #2 overall pick, they would want This year's 3rd and 4th. And next year's 1st and 3rd.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,887
And1: 816
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#68 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
TheMonarch wrote:There doesn't seem to be any player worth taking at the #2 for the 9ers. I know a lot of people have proposed trading down to get more picks, but what about trading up? What do you think it would take to get the #1 pick from Cleveland in order to draft Myles Garrett?


In addition to our #2 overall pick, they would want This year's 3rd and 4th. And next year's 1st and 3rd.

kiss my butt for that 1 spot move.....

lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
RedneckNiner
Starter
Posts: 2,418
And1: 86
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#69 » by RedneckNiner » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:28 am

I_am_1z wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Anyone in the boat of getting Fournette or Foster with our first round pick, needs to meet an iceberg


I was in that boat then Foster lowered his shoulder and the iceberg became ice cubes for my Scotch. Foster will be an absolute beast.... one of my favorites since Earl Thomas on the defensive side. True I would prefer Garrett but Foster would be a great consolation prize.


What does he offer in terms of coverage? He's a great, instinctive run stopper obviously, but can he defend TEs or RBs to any degree?


Short answer yes... while he may not be Kuechly good in coverage he is well above average in coverage. Good sideline to sideline speed, good instincts. He has all the makings of a pro bowl caliber lb.
wco81
Veteran
Posts: 2,554
And1: 217
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#70 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Well McShay or Kiper just did a mock with Watson going at #12 and Trubitsky at #25.

So a team wanting to trade up for a QB seems unlikely now.

49ers better prepare to use that #2. How about Howard?
CrimsonCrew
Analyst
Posts: 3,548
And1: 136
Joined: Aug 21, 2014
 

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#71 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 pm

wco81 wrote:Well McShay or Kiper just did a mock with Watson going at #12 and Trubitsky at #25.

So a team wanting to trade up for a QB seems unlikely now.

49ers better prepare to use that #2. How about Howard?


That doesn't mean all that much. This time last year, Kiper and McShay both had Goff going to us at #7. At least this year, the Bears at #3 (arguably) and the Jets at #6 both have pretty big needs at QB. There probably isn't the market there was last year for the pick, but we may still get some offers worth considering. And we need to think about QB if there's a guy we think could be a franchise guy.
Jikkle
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,483
And1: 101
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
         

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#72 » by Jikkle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Trubitsky won't fall all the way to #25.

The worst case scenario would be #17 to the Redskins who would snatch him up in a heartbeat and look to unload Cousins.

Also I would say the Cardinals would be very much in play for him as well since Palmer is probably a goner after this season.
wco81
Veteran
Posts: 2,554
And1: 217
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#73 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:36 am

Bears signed Glennon didn't they?

So maybe the Jets.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,887
And1: 816
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#74 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 am

wco81 wrote:Well McShay or Kiper just did a mock with Watson going at #12 and Trubitsky at #25.

So a team wanting to trade up for a QB seems unlikely now.

49ers better prepare to use that #2. How about Howard?

why am I drawing a blank? Howard who?

EDIT - OJ Howard the TE... lol.... no way at 2(and I do want Howard too)... no wonder I couldn't think who u were talking about haah
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
Veteran
Posts: 2,554
And1: 217
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#75 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:20 am

It may be a reach but if he starts having 10 TD, 70 pass seasons while still on the rookie contract, it would be well worth it.
thesack12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,957
And1: 163
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#76 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:WTF are we gonna do at #2. The great mystery...


Do what the Vikings did in '03 and "pass" on the pick.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,187
And1: 41
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#77 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 pm

I like most of these trade scenarios. The Jacksonville Jaguars scenario is a far fetched one, but still I enjoy reading these things.

https://www.google.com/amp/ninernoise.com/2017/03/17/49ers-nfl-draft-5-sensible-trades/amp/
Bingo_AlphaMan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,187
And1: 41
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#78 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I hate the idea of having to spend such a high pick on a safety, but this kid isn't your ordinary safety IMO. If Garrett is gone, then he's next on my wish list for us to draft with our #2 pick:

ivang101
Pro Prospect
Posts: 853
And1: 13
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
     

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#79 » by ivang101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 am

With all the Jets interest-in-Trubitsky rumors today, they appear to be our most likely trade partner. If they fall in love with him, and fear that either the bears or jags might pounce on the top QB available, we may be presented with our best opportunity to move back in the draft.

So here is my idea, I added the rough pick values http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

#2(2600) for #6(1600), #70(240) and Sheldon Richardson

Why?

As you can see, the combined value of the draft picks the jets give us leaves a decent gap in value. Sheldon Richardson is in the last year of his contract and will be get paid, which will be tough for the Jets to match with Wilkerson making 20m a year for the next 4. Should not be an issue for us with our cap status. The #70 is the higher of two 3rds that the Jets currently have, leaving them with a 2nd and 3rd to still build depth.

The Jets get their man, and we get an elite down linemen to go with armstead-buckner-mitchell. Plus at the 6 we can either truly establish our defense with another defensive pick or get one of Corey Davis or Mike Williams to get our offense another weapon it desperately needs.

Thoughts?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,887
And1: 816
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#80 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Sounds like Solomon Thomas is the lead in the mock draft department!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.

Return to San Francisco 49ers