ImageImageImageImageImage

GDT: Wk 6 49ers (1-4) at Buffalo(3-2)

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: GDT: Wk 6 49ers (1-4) at Buffalo(3-2) 

Post#201 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 am

Sorry, couldn't make it today but obviously and disappointingly the score of the game is a surprise for me....

the team is going nowhere....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#202 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Reid is playing his way off the team. He is looking more and more like a guy who isn't worth his asking price.

what's the asking price? lol
The ModFather

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#203 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:03 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Well Chip is to blame in some aspects. We have a young D that is even thin on depth, and yet we continue to play fast, go 3 and out too often, which then leads to the D being on the field too much. They are being destroyed by the running game, and yes, most of that is their own fault.

Terrible year to judge Chip in any way, IMO. Just talent devoid across the board. Contrary to popular belief, both Kaerpernick and Gabbert are terrible fits in this system, nevermind the fact that they aren't any good. After Torrey Smith we have absolutely nothing in the receiver department, and even Smith can't be fully utilized in this offense because he's almost exclusively a deep a threat. Defensively there are problems everywhere - Reid just isn't who he was a couple of years ago. We can't get to the QB and we can't stop the run. Injuries to Williams, Armstrong, Ward, Bowman, etc.

I do like the potential we have on both lines, with Armstead, Buckner, Purcell, Garnett and Brown - but these guys are all young and inexperienced run now.

Can you name another team that has less talent than we do other than the Browns?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,477

Post#204 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:49 am

Take away Andrew Luck and I would say the Colts.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#205 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Take away Andrew Luck and I would say the Colts.

This. Luck literally carries the team on his shoulders. He has 52 players piled up on his back jogging out of the tunnel. It's going to give him serious spinal problems one day.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#206 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Well Chip is to blame in some aspects. We have a young D that is even thin on depth, and yet we continue to play fast, go 3 and out too often, which then leads to the D being on the field too much. They are being destroyed by the running game, and yes, most of that is their own fault.

Terrible year to judge Chip in any way, IMO. Just talent devoid across the board. Contrary to popular belief, both Kaerpernick and Gabbert are terrible fits in this system, nevermind the fact that they aren't any good. After Torrey Smith we have absolutely nothing in the receiver department, and even Smith can't be fully utilized in this offense because he's almost exclusively a deep a threat. Defensively there are problems everywhere - Reid just isn't who he was a couple of years ago. We can't get to the QB and we can't stop the run. Injuries to Williams, Armstrong, Ward, Bowman, etc.

I do like the potential we have on both lines, with Armstead, Buckner, Purcell, Garnett and Brown - but these guys are all young and inexperienced run now.

Can you name another team that has less talent than we do other than the Browns?

Totally agree. This is all Baalke's doing. He overestimated the talent at ILB and chose to not upgrade last offseason. He did the same at NT after Ian Williams went down. Purcell is nothing more than a rotation player, and Dial is a DE not a NT. And of course he completely ignored skill positions yet again, most notably passing on Dak Prescott.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#207 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Does anyone think Baalke survives the season? This is all his doing.

I thought he was in serious trouble once Chip was hired.

Unless there is a massive swing at the end of the season I'd be shocked if he doesn't go. There isn't a chance Chip will be fired and Gamble is all lined up and ready to slide into the position so Baalke will be the one to take the blame.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#208 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 pm

49ers current defensive ranks:

32nd in total points allowed
31st in points allowed per game
27th in total yards allowed
32nd in rushing yards allowed (164 yards worse than 31st)
32nd in rushing yards per game (27.3 yards worse than 31st)
32nd in yards per rush
9th in total passing yards
7th in pass yards per game
10th in pass yards per attempt

Now to put some of these into scope, we still have a monday night game here in week 6 to play and 8 teams have already had their bye so they have played 1 less game.

Still the per game numbers are a valid metric. Also the points allowed stats are very alarming, considering they shut out the Rams in week 1. It just goes to show how terrible the D has been since then.

Looking at these confirms what he all already knew, the rush defense is unfathomably bad (a country mile worse than everybody else), yet the passing defense has been formidable. Which is actually kind of surprising considering the defense struggles to get a consistent pass rush.

After losing Bowman, the LB corps rivals the WR corps in terms of how unfavorably it stacks up with others around the league. This is a big reason why the run defense is dreadful.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#209 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:

What about the preparations? the scheme? the adjustments? right now, take away the name and no one really could've notice that Tomsula wasn't still the HC.

Chip deserves a fault here. The talent is lacking but when does the coach do something about it? does he need an all star roster to make something good? O'Neil is trash from Cleveland, he's not going to get another chance at DC anytime soon after this.
The ModFather

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#210 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:09 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

What about the preparations? the scheme? the adjustments? right now, take away the name and no one really could've notice that Tomsula wasn't still the HC.

Chip deserves a fault here. The talent is lacking but when does the coach do something about it? does he need an all star roster to make something good? O'Neil is trash from Cleveland, he's not going to get another chance at DC anytime soon after this.

It's not to say that there aren't likely faults with Chip but it's hard to know the extent he is at fault until he has a suitably talented roster. Every coach needs the talent to work with and even the greatest coaches needed a couple years to build up a roster and install their system.

It's hard for me to really be critical of Kelly when the QBs are struggling to make even the most remedial throws on a consistent basis and the skill positions are filled with #3 type WRs.

What gives me hope with Kelly is when the offense is the times we've seen Gabbert with good accuracy the offense does move the ball and generally looks pretty functional. And we've seen plenty of times over the course of the season big plays would've been had if balls were thrown more accurately.

It's not to say Chip is the next Bill Walsh it's just the roster needs to be put in order first before you can say coaching is the issue. I mean given the projections that the team had going into the year it's not like they are performing way below expectations.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#211 » by RedneckNiner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 pm

And on the subject of O'neil remember he was not the first choice they wanted Vrabel who took a lesser job vs coming here. It very well could be the Niners front office is considered toxic by some around the league. So we also have to think on who would come here if O'neil is fired. There wasnt exactly a line of folks breaking down the door for the job. The sad truth is there has to be something behind the scenes contri uting to the lack of free agent signings or coaches that wanted to come to the niners. Baalke may not be the best or worst gm but he is not stupid enough to not know the team had issues.
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Post#212 » by 49rangER » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 pm

I agree that most if not all the blame is on Baalke here.
Was kind of hoping we would start to hear some talk about letting him go today.

Chip and the rest of the staff definitely deserve some of the blame but this is just not a very talented roster right now so its hard to gauge what they can or cant do. While some of the play calling is still very predictable it seems Kelly offense is getting the WR's open but the QBs just are not very accurate. Also the run blocking needs to get much better.

Oneil will probably be the first scapegoat because this is just beyond bad play.

I'm not one for firing coaches every year kind of like the browns usually do as it messes up any continuity however Oneil would seem like the first to go if not Baalke.

Hopefully Baalke is gone and chip is able to pick his QB this draft.(Anyone think Chip run for college?)
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#213 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:16 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:And on the subject of O'neil remember he was not the first choice they wanted Vrabel who took a lesser job vs coming here. It very well could be the Niners front office is considered toxic by some around the league. So we also have to think on who would come here if O'neil is fired. There wasnt exactly a line of folks breaking down the door for the job. The sad truth is there has to be something behind the scenes contri uting to the lack of free agent signings or coaches that wanted to come to the niners. Baalke may not be the best or worst gm but he is not stupid enough to not know the team had issues.

As for lack of free agent signings, thats not Baalke's thing. And this past year, there really werent many free agents worth overpaying for. Although the one free agent I wanted was Marvin Jones and he wouldnt have cost that much. Oh well. Baalke has screwed the pooch by ignoring skill positions. As for DC, they should've kept Mangini.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#214 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It's not to say that there aren't likely faults with Chip but it's hard to know the extent he is at fault until he has a suitably talented roster. Every coach needs the talent to work with and even the greatest coaches needed a couple years to build up a roster and install their system.

It's hard for me to really be critical of Kelly when the QBs are struggling to make even the most remedial throws on a consistent basis and the skill positions are filled with #3 type WRs.

What gives me hope with Kelly is when the offense is the times we've seen Gabbert with good accuracy the offense does move the ball and generally looks pretty functional. And we've seen plenty of times over the course of the season big plays would've been had if balls were thrown more accurately.

It's not to say Chip is the next Bill Walsh it's just the roster needs to be put in order first before you can say coaching is the issue. I mean given the projections that the team had going into the year it's not like they are performing way below expectations.

The roster isn't the greatest but that shouldn't prevent Kelly n the staff from formulating a concrete plan to be competitive?

Was the lack of talent on the roster deterring the blame from Tomsula last yr? I'm not putting full force blame on Kelly but, for me personally from what I've seen with my eyes as Kelly coached in Philly, I don't think his style is efficient nor conducive enough to remain in the NFL. Some argue that he has a great mind and I'm sure he does and bring up all the running game concepts etc... but what are we seeing come gamedays now? For a great running concept coach that he is, the run game doesn't seem to be holding its own however one can argue the 20 men in the box.

This is not at you Jikkle just talking in the general.
The ModFather

clyde21
RealGM

Post#215 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:36 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Take away Andrew Luck and I would say the Colts.

But you can't take away Luck. I'd trade our entire roster for him.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#216 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Out of the games we've lost, which one would you say we should've won?
wartyOne
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#217 » by wartyOne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:34 am

thesack12 wrote:49ers current defensive ranks:

32nd in yards per rush

Now to put some of these into scope, we still have a monday night game here in week 6 to play and 8 teams have already had their bye so they have played 1 less game.

Still the per game numbers are a valid metric. Also the points allowed stats are very alarming, considering they shut out the Rams in week 1. It just goes to show how terrible the D has been since then.

Looking at these confirms what he all already knew, the rush defense is unfathomably bad (a country mile worse than everybody else), yet the passing defense has been formidable. Which is actually kind of surprising considering the defense struggles to get a consistent pass rush.

After losing Bowman, the LB corps rivals the WR corps in terms of how unfavorably it stacks up with others around the league. This is a big reason why the run defense is dreadful.

No it hasn't. The pass defense looks good because every team in the league knows the 9ers can't stop the run, not even against teams with poor rushing attacks. They haven't given up passing yards because the other teams aren't passing the ball. If I can put up 300 yards on the ground, I'm not even going to consider throwing the ball. It's a misleading stat, and the same could be said for a team that can't stop the pass, but in reverse. Their rushing defense would look good, but every QB they faced would be compared to a cross between Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.

What's really bad is the last two years Baalke drafted D-linemen in the first round, and has focused on defense almost exclusively since he started making picks in April 2010. I think part of it is coaching, too, but I don't see a single starter on this defense for a playoff team. I'm honestly amazed at how bad Baalke is at his job. I don't think there's a poster on this board who would be as bad at picking a QB as Baalke has been. It was the single biggest need of the offseason, and we came away with nothing from the draft (sure, we drafted a guy, but he's not even on the practice squad). The fact that Baalke survived last season speaks volumes about the actual problem with this team. I don't anticipate anything is going to get better once Baalke gets whacked, because Jed York will still be in charge, and will still be the guy tasked with finding his replacement, something he has demonstrated he isn't capable of doing.
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#218 » by DoobieKeebler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:43 am

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/snap-count-wilhoite-bellore-bump-hodges-sideline

"Snap count: Wilhoite, Bellore bump Hodges to sideline "

No wonder our LB corbs siuck so bad... Wilhoite and Bellore are boo boo.

Christ, what am I saying? I'm yearning for the days of Ray Ray Armstrong.... :banghead:
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#219 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 am

wartyOne wrote:

32nd in yards per rush

No it hasn't. The pass defense looks good because every team in the league knows the 9ers can't stop the run, not even against teams with poor rushing attacks. They haven't given up passing yards because the other teams aren't passing the ball. If I can put up 300 yards on the ground, I'm not even going to consider throwing the ball. It's a misleading stat, and the same could be said for a team that can't stop the pass, but in reverse. Their rushing defense would look good, but every QB they faced would be compared to a cross between Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.

What's really bad is the last two years Baalke drafted D-linemen in the first round, and has focused on defense almost exclusively since he started making picks in April 2010. I think part of it is coaching, too, but I don't see a single starter on this defense for a playoff team. I'm honestly amazed at how bad Baalke is at his job. I don't think there's a poster on this board who would be as bad at picking a QB as Baalke has been. It was the single biggest need of the offseason, and we came away with nothing from the draft (sure, we drafted a guy, but he's not even on the practice squad). The fact that Baalke survived last season speaks volumes about the actual problem with this team. I don't anticipate anything is going to get better once Baalke gets whacked, because Jed York will still be in charge, and will still be the guy tasked with finding his replacement, something he has demonstrated he isn't capable of doing.

I have to agree with you. The stat about the pass D may be a bit misleading, but overall I think the secondary is actually quite decent, especially at CB with a healthy Jimmie Ward and Rashard Robinson having a nice rookie season. Brock is a steady vet, and I like Reaser. I had high hopes of Dontae Johnson becoming a stud CB but at this point I think he's just a backup. Plus we have Will Redmond waiting in the wings. As for the Safeties, I am disappointed. Reid has not been anything more than OK, and Bethea is aging at this point. Another poster mentioned earlier this season that it's disappointing that Tartt has not been able to beat out Bethea for the starting SS job. You would expect more from a 2nd rounder, right? As for the DL Baalke drafted, I think Buckner will end up an All Pro at some point, and Armstead will be solid. What this team badly needs is a NT to anchor against the run. They badly miss Ian Williams. After that, another ILB to put next to Bowman is obviously a glaring need. Baalke completely screwed the pooch at these two spots in the offseason, especially when Williams went down again. He overestimated Purcell, Ray Ray, Wilhoite, and Hodges who are all backups and nothing more. And we also need another pass rusher to pair with Aaron Lynch. Brooks is way past his prime, Tank is officially a bust in my opinion, and I am losing hope in Eli Harold each game. The roster is badly lacking talent, the 49ers have the same weaknesses this year that they had last year, so this will end up costing Baalke his job.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#220 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 pm

wartyOne wrote:

32nd in yards per rush

Yeah, I hear what your're saying about the pass defense and there is merit to that. So I will take out the total passing yards and yards per game. The other passing related defensive stats.

10th in yards per attempt
1st in completion percentage
2nd in opposing QB rating
4th (tie) passing TD's allowed

So yes, teams know they can run all over the 49ers so they don't need to pass too often. That said, on passing plays the defense has actually had a backbone and provided some resistance.

Like I said earlier, it is a bit surprising to me because the pass rush leaves a lot to be desired. Now, if we are factoring in evaluating the pass rush into the passing defense then yeah it wouldn't stack up well. But the end results of the play are what matters most. Since the pass rush is poor, it would lead you to believe the secondary is performing well.

As for the rest, I completely agree. This roster has completely dissolved on Baalke's watch. The offense is among the least talented in the entire league. And the defense (supposed to be his strong point) is now going on the 2nd consecutive year of being ranked in the 30's.

Return to San Francisco 49ers