ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL firings - Baalke and Kelly talk ONLY.

Moderators: Wolfay, MHSL82, CalamityX12

ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#181 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:56 pm

thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Why oh why is Tom Cable on the list of coaches to be interviewed? Are you kidding me?


Maybe because Jed still thinks 9ers are a threat to Seattle and he thinks if he can get one of their guys it will be a win?

Idk, but Cable is a pretty disgusting route to go. But such is life, with the current state of this team/organization. Its going to be pretty difficult for Frisco to get one of the hot "name" candidates, because those guys actually have options.


By chance do you have a ranked list of your 7-10 favorite candidates?
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#182 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:02 pm

Jed York’s Silicon Valley startup

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/02/nfl-coach-firings-playoff-wild-card-schedule-peter-king

2. You know what struck me about these coach openings? There are no coaches everyone wants. If Stanford’s David Shaw were a candidate (he says he doesn’t want to leave college football right now), he’d likely get an NFL gig. Same with Nick Saban. I heard things Sunday night from teams like this: “There’s nobody out there who’s a slam-dunk guy.” … “We definitely don’t have a leader in the clubhouse.” … “Who do you really like?” (You know a team’s in trouble when it’s asking a sportswriter’s opinion.) … And this: “There’s no one out there we love.”

Hmmmm, who has said this a couple dozen times? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a sad state of affairs for coaches lately. It's a sad state of affairs for quarterbacks (obviously). It's a sad state of affairs for free agency the next year or two.

It's even a sad state of affairs for the quality of NFL fans that's developing as well with where the game is going IMO, but I'll leave that rant alone.
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#183 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:04 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Jed York’s Silicon Valley startup

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/02/nfl-coach-firings-playoff-wild-card-schedule-peter-king

2. You know what struck me about these coach openings? There are no coaches everyone wants. If Stanford’s David Shaw were a candidate (he says he doesn’t want to leave college football right now), he’d likely get an NFL gig. Same with Nick Saban. I heard things Sunday night from teams like this: “There’s nobody out there who’s a slam-dunk guy.” … “We definitely don’t have a leader in the clubhouse.” … “Who do you really like?” (You know a team’s in trouble when it’s asking a sportswriter’s opinion.) … And this: “There’s no one out there we love.”

Hmmmm, who has said this a couple dozen times? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a sad state of affairs for coaches lately. It's a sad state of affairs for quarterbacks (obviously). It's a sad state of affairs for free agency the next year or two.

It's even a sad state of affairs for the quality of NFL fans that's developing as well with where the game is going IMO, but I'll leave that rant alone.


Also.........

Jed York indicated to me he’ll be slow and wide-ranging with his two job searches, which he should be—and not rush the way most teams do every January.

This ties into my comment about quality of NFL fans and the fact this will/could drive many people nuts pleases me in a sad way. :)
49er4life1979
Senior
Posts: 557
And1: 17
Joined: Sep 22, 2014
   

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#184 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:10 pm

thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Why oh why is Tom Cable on the list of coaches to be interviewed? Are you kidding me?


Maybe because Jed still thinks 9ers are a threat to Seattle and he thinks if he can get one of their guys it will be a win?

Idk, but Cable is a pretty disgusting route to go. But such is life, with the current state of this team/organization. Its going to be pretty difficult for Frisco to get one of the hot "name" candidates, because those guys actually have options.


Maybe just to get a Seahawks coaches perspective on the Niners.
49er4life1979
Senior
Posts: 557
And1: 17
Joined: Sep 22, 2014
   

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#185 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:11 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Why oh why is Tom Cable on the list of coaches to be interviewed? Are you kidding me?


Maybe because Jed still thinks 9ers are a threat to Seattle and he thinks if he can get one of their guys it will be a win?

Idk, but Cable is a pretty disgusting route to go. But such is life, with the current state of this team/organization. Its going to be pretty difficult for Frisco to get one of the hot "name" candidates, because those guys actually have options.


By chance do you have a ranked list of your 7-10 favorite candidates?


My fav would be David Shaw but he is not leaving Stanford. In the NFL, I like Kyle Shanahan but for some reason his name isnt popping up. The other is also a long shot, Sean Payton.
thesack12
Head Coach
Posts: 6,040
And1: 201
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#186 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:29 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Why oh why is Tom Cable on the list of coaches to be interviewed? Are you kidding me?


Maybe because Jed still thinks 9ers are a threat to Seattle and he thinks if he can get one of their guys it will be a win?

Idk, but Cable is a pretty disgusting route to go. But such is life, with the current state of this team/organization. Its going to be pretty difficult for Frisco to get one of the hot "name" candidates, because those guys actually have options.


By chance do you have a ranked list of your 7-10 favorite candidates?


I'll keep it realistic meaning: 1) SF isn't getting one of the elite names 2) Keeping in mind its a huge transition time in 9er land and this coaching search is unlikely to find the guy that leads the team to Lombardi #6

1) Josh McDaniels: As I said before, IMO he has the highest upside of any of the realistic options
2) Kyle Shanahan: He is unquestionably a rising star, and comes from a successful bloodline
3) Brian Billick: Blast from the past, but he wants to get back I believe and could be a good bridge guy
4) Todd Haley: Not the most likable guy, but he's rebuilt his stock and Pitt's offense has solid player development and success
5) Rex Ryan: I'll qualify this one by saying only if a very good/strong personality OC is attached to him
6) Tom Coughlin: Unpopular choice for sure, but IMO he could help establish the proper culture as the bridge guy
7) Rob Chudzinski: Admittedly a wild card, but IMO he's back on the rise. Pretty good with developing players
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#187 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:45 pm

Eric Branch:

Can confirm #49ers have set up meeting with Pats OC Josh McDaniels in NE this weekend; will also meet with Chiefs exec Chris Ballard.

McDaniels' window for meetings will be pretty limited due to what's on his plate and those that are expected to come calling so the 49ers can't get too choosy if they want to impress upon him early. The new general manager can still do his own meet-and-greet down the road when McDaniels' season is over with if he still chooses.

A reminder that league rule states, "If the employer club elects to grant permission, the inquiring club may conduct one (1) interview with the assistant coach at any location acceptable to the employer club and at a time that is convenient for the employer club subject to the following rules
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#188 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:46 pm

Aaron Erickson:

Louis Riddick, rumored to be a candidate for #49ers GM, said on ESPN that SF may be most desirable HC opening. Putting in work early. #49wz
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#189 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:47 pm

Baalke’s lack of communication skills reason for his firing

http://www.knbr.com/2017/01/02/baalkes-lack-of-communication-skills-reason-for-his-firing/
zman1
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 7
Joined: Sep 15, 2014
   

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#190 » by zman1 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:54 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-alpha-dogs-ran-all-over-jed-york-and-its-why-the-49ers-are-in-ruins-now-070315808.html


Yup, it's all on Jed. And guess who is still here? Sonny boy, problemo numero uno. We won't be good until he is gone. I feel sorry for the number 2 pick already


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jikkle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,546
And1: 103
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
         

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#191 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:07 pm

Right now the focus should be nailing the GM hire because that's ultimately what's going to influence the potential willingness of the coaching candidates to take the 9ers job.

With the 9ers job being the only one that has a GM opening as well it could make it an attractive option for candidates that want to pair themselves with a GM.

I personally think the job is probably the 3rd most desirable for a coach right now behind the Chargers and Broncos.
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#192 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:29 pm

Jed confirmed during the PC that "every person in the organization" is free to find a job elsewhere if they so choose before the next GM and HC is named. There will be no tampering issues if other teams want to come calling.
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#193 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:33 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Jed confirmed during the PC that "every person in the organization" is free to find a job elsewhere if they so choose before the next GM and HC is named. There will be no tampering issues if other teams want to come calling.


Meaning guys like Tom Gamble, Mike Williams, Quentus Cumby, Ethan Waugh, and Mark Uyeyama COULD be some of the names you start to see popping up with other teams as they are some of the more well regarded names league wide that the 49ers have had in various roles.
wco81
Analyst
Posts: 3,044
And1: 310
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#194 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:36 pm

Yeah let's wait to pick over the leftovers after a half dozen other teams have chosen.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,153
And1: 165
Joined: May 09, 2014
       

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#195 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:56 pm

I want no part of Tom Cable.

I found it interesting that Garafolo reported Chip Kelly wanted to draft Prescott and Baalke said no.
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#196 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:59 pm

Ian Rapoport:

The #49ers have requested permission to speak with #Bills OC Anthony Lynn. Curious to see it this speeds up Buffalo’s decisions.
wco81
Analyst
Posts: 3,044
And1: 310
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#197 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:02 pm

Hmm, interesting. 49ers draft Rashard Robinson at #35 and the Cowboys pick Prescott at #37. OK , those are the picks of the 4th round, which had 41 picks due to compensatory picks added on.

So Robinson was #133 overall and Prescott was #135.

I don't think he'd have been as effective behind the 49ers OL as the Cowboys OL. But he showed accuracy (some back shoulder throws) and of course his run threat helped their running game, as it probably would have helped the 49ers.

Wonder if Kelly would have started a rookie though.
thesack12
Head Coach
Posts: 6,040
And1: 201
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#198 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:06 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Ian Rapoport:

The #49ers have requested permission to speak with #Bills OC Anthony Lynn. Curious to see it this speeds up Buffalo’s decisions.


They interviewed him last year. So not sure if they were intrigued enough to bring him back again, or if its a Rooney rule interview.

Either way, it seems as though Jed is lining up HC interviews before GM interviews. Which brings up the question who is going to be sitting alongside Jed during these HC interviews?
ChrisPozz
General Manager
Posts: 7,760
And1: 192
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
 

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#199 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:08 pm

thesack12 wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Ian Rapoport:

The #49ers have requested permission to speak with #Bills OC Anthony Lynn. Curious to see it this speeds up Buffalo’s decisions.


They interviewed him last year. So not sure if they were intrigued enough to bring him back again, or if its a Rooney rule interview.

Either way, it seems as though Jed is lining up HC interviews before GM interviews. Which brings up the question who is going to be sitting alongside Jed during these HC interviews?


Paraag Marathe. Said as much today at the PC. Didn't list anybody else. Eventually could be the GM as well if they go that route first as many expect them to.
thesack12
Head Coach
Posts: 6,040
And1: 201
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#200 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:12 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Ian Rapoport:

The #49ers have requested permission to speak with #Bills OC Anthony Lynn. Curious to see it this speeds up Buffalo’s decisions.


They interviewed him last year. So not sure if they were intrigued enough to bring him back again, or if its a Rooney rule interview.

Either way, it seems as though Jed is lining up HC interviews before GM interviews. Which brings up the question who is going to be sitting alongside Jed during these HC interviews?


Paraag Marathe. Said as much today at the PC. Didn't list anybody else. Eventually could be the GM as well if they go that route first as many expect them to.


Marathe should have been included in Jed's house cleaning if he truly wants to create a "championship culture."

Return to San Francisco 49ers