ImageImageImageImageImage

QB Options for 2017?

Moderators: Wolfay, MHSL82, CalamityX12

RedneckNiner
Veteran
Posts: 2,551
And1: 97
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#181 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:30 am

thesack12 wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:Kolb, Flynn, Cassel... make me say hell no to a first or even a second for Garrapolo... The Patriots could put Cody Pickett, RG3, or even Tebow at QB and make them look decent. Just please no Garrapolo will end up Hamstringing the Niners for years...


If we are throwing in some non NE quarterbacks into the discussion, I'll throw Brett Favre in there. Also, Garoppolo was a much better prospect coming out of college than all those guys you mentioned so its not solely his time in NE that is driving up his market.

The way I look at it is this, the probability is high that Frisco is going to draft a QB in the early rounds so assuming the trade isn't #2 the draft capital it takes to get Garoppolo is inconsequential.

To build on that, I personally am not real high on any of the QB's in the draft. I like Watson the most, but as of now I'm not sold on him and am much higher on Garoppolo. Also none of these rookie QB's are capable of stepping in day one and being the guy, a few are arguably a couple years away.

I am aware of Garoppolo's contract situation. But to me, thats not too much of a factor as SF is absolutely flush with cap space and will have to spend a ton of money anyways. In addition, as mentioned earlier these QB prospects are not ready to play, so the team will be wasting however many years of cheap QB play it take them to get ready to get on the field.

One more thing, there are no guarantees any of these QB's workout long term including Garoppolo. That being the case I still lean towards going with the guy that is ready for the field today because if he flops the team will be able to move forward a lot quicker. If they take someone like Trubisky and he ends up failing it could be 4-5 years until they move on from him, 2 years of seasoning on the bench then 2-3 years of seeing what he does on the field.

So for me it comes down to who do you like better as a prospect? Garoppolo or any of the QB's in the draft. For me personally its clearly Jimmy, from a talent perspective as well as all of the other factors I mentioned above.

Now if you just aren't high on Jimmy's talent and skill set that's one thing, but to give it a blanket no because other backup QB's have failed when they went to new teams and became the guy is not a very thorough way to view it.


Favre is the one resounding success of trading for a backup QB off the top of my head... Can also go Schaud as another hes so awesome... Not to mention Garaplo is up for a big contract next year and If the Niners blow their draft wad on him it could be a one year rental...or you sign him to a big extension and he busts... A rookie QB even at the number 2 pick is cheaper and controllable for longer. I just think Garrapolo is an unknown and definately not worth the draft picks the Patriots want for him. I wouldn't even give up a second rounder for him. IMO Trubisky, Watson, Kizier, Kaaya are all better options and even Kelly I would put even with him and Kelly could be a 3rd or 4th round steal. Mahomes might be a viable option in the third round. Yes the Niners need a qb .. what they don't need to do is be so desperate they overspend to grab one. ANd trading a first or even the high second rounder the Niners have for Garrapolo is like paying 100 bucks for big mac.
thesack12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,965
And1: 170
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#182 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:54 am

RedneckNiner wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:Kolb, Flynn, Cassel... make me say hell no to a first or even a second for Garrapolo... The Patriots could put Cody Pickett, RG3, or even Tebow at QB and make them look decent. Just please no Garrapolo will end up Hamstringing the Niners for years...


If we are throwing in some non NE quarterbacks into the discussion, I'll throw Brett Favre in there. Also, Garoppolo was a much better prospect coming out of college than all those guys you mentioned so its not solely his time in NE that is driving up his market.

The way I look at it is this, the probability is high that Frisco is going to draft a QB in the early rounds so assuming the trade isn't #2 the draft capital it takes to get Garoppolo is inconsequential.

To build on that, I personally am not real high on any of the QB's in the draft. I like Watson the most, but as of now I'm not sold on him and am much higher on Garoppolo. Also none of these rookie QB's are capable of stepping in day one and being the guy, a few are arguably a couple years away.

I am aware of Garoppolo's contract situation. But to me, thats not too much of a factor as SF is absolutely flush with cap space and will have to spend a ton of money anyways. In addition, as mentioned earlier these QB prospects are not ready to play, so the team will be wasting however many years of cheap QB play it take them to get ready to get on the field.

One more thing, there are no guarantees any of these QB's workout long term including Garoppolo. That being the case I still lean towards going with the guy that is ready for the field today because if he flops the team will be able to move forward a lot quicker. If they take someone like Trubisky and he ends up failing it could be 4-5 years until they move on from him, 2 years of seasoning on the bench then 2-3 years of seeing what he does on the field.

So for me it comes down to who do you like better as a prospect? Garoppolo or any of the QB's in the draft. For me personally its clearly Jimmy, from a talent perspective as well as all of the other factors I mentioned above.

Now if you just aren't high on Jimmy's talent and skill set that's one thing, but to give it a blanket no because other backup QB's have failed when they went to new teams and became the guy is not a very thorough way to view it.


Favre is the one resounding success of trading for a backup QB off the top of my head... Can also go Schaud as another hes so awesome... Not to mention Garaplo is up for a big contract next year and If the Niners blow their draft wad on him it could be a one year rental...or you sign him to a big extension and he busts... A rookie QB even at the number 2 pick is cheaper and controllable for longer. I just think Garrapolo is an unknown and definately not worth the draft picks the Patriots want for him. I wouldn't even give up a second rounder for him. IMO Trubisky, Watson, Kizier, Kaaya are all better options and even Kelly I would put even with him and Kelly could be a 3rd or 4th round steal. Mahomes might be a viable option in the third round. Yes the Niners need a qb .. what they don't need to do is be so desperate they overspend to grab one. ANd trading a first or even the high second rounder the Niners have for Garrapolo is like paying 100 bucks for big mac.


That's the whole thing to consider here though. Are any of these QBs in the draft worth taking high in the draft? From pretty much all accounts this is a grab bag type pool of QB prospects, there are no clear tiers. Why spend a 1st or 2nd on any of these guys when you can probably get another guy with a very comparable grade later on?

I'd also argue that spending the #2 overall pick on a QB who has many legitimate questions is a much heftier price to pay than giving Garoppolo an extension, especially with the team's current cap structure. Due to the cap structure I have no worries about Garoppolo being in a contract year. Also, when you trade for a player you also get the right to franchise tag that guy if you so choose. So again, I have no issues with Garoppolo being in a contrct year then going out lighting it up and him being a one year rental. It just won't happen.

I totally agree that the team shouldn't get desperate and overspend on a QB. Overdrafting a QB just because you need one, is a definitely a form of overspending.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
Posts: 2,551
And1: 97
Joined: Sep 07, 2014
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#183 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:04 am

I don't worry about Garapolo Lighting it up and having to franchise tag him thats a win... I worry about trading the number 2 pick for him signing him to an extension and he becomes the Next Alex Smith/Kaepernick shows enough potential that you don't look for a replacement and such a high dollar amount its hard to move on. I don't think any QB is worth the number 2 pick in this draft. Though if I had to give up the number 2 pick in the draft for a QB I'd use it for Cousins if the Skins use the non exclusive tag.. Otherwise I go Garrett unless the Browns grab him, trade back and try For Reuben Foster, Tim Williams, Or Solomon later in the first round. If Cousins is off the table I'd pursue Glennon, Cutler (if the Bears release him) Hoyer, Schaub in that order to be the bridge to the next QB and see if we could grab Kizer, Watson, Kaaya Mahomes or Kelly in that order of preference later in the draft.. ( I don't include Trubisky because I think hell go top 3 probably to the Bears if the Niners do trade back... )
thesack12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,965
And1: 170
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#184 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 am

RedneckNiner wrote:I don't worry about Garapolo Lighting it up and having to franchise tag him thats a win... I worry about trading the number 2 pick for him signing him to an extension and he becomes the Next Alex Smith/Kaepernick shows enough potential that you don't look for a replacement and such a high dollar amount its hard to move on. I don't think any QB is worth the number 2 pick in this draft. Though if I had to give up the number 2 pick in the draft for a QB I'd use it for Cousins if the Skins use the non exclusive tag.. Otherwise I go Garrett unless the Browns grab him, trade back and try For Reuben Foster, Tim Williams, Or Solomon later in the first round. If Cousins is off the table I'd pursue Glennon, Cutler (if the Bears release him) Hoyer, Schaub in that order to be the bridge to the next QB and see if we could grab Kizer, Watson, Kaaya Mahomes or Kelly in that order of preference later in the draft.. ( I don't include Trubisky because I think hell go top 3 probably to the Bears if the Niners do trade back... )


Oh yeah, I agree 100% that I wouldn't trade #2 for Garoppolo, he simply isn't worth that (Cousins either for that matter.) But depending how the board falls, I would likely trade #34 for Jimmy. That's an underrated aspect to this hypothetical, you probably don't have to make that trade prior to the draft. Wait to see how the first round falls, then ring up Belichick that Thursday night and do your final negotiations then if you don't like how the board looks.
wco81
Veteran
Posts: 2,869
And1: 270
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#185 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:10 am

I don't support trading #2 or #34.

However if Kyle (easier to type than his last name) and Lynch think Garoppolo or Cousins is worth trading such a high pick, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt -- though I wouldn't give up two first-round picks as they might have to do if Washington tags Cousins.

Let them bet their tenures on such a trade but if it blows up in their faces -- the guy they get doesn't perform and/or the assets they give up in the trade turn into all-pros -- it would be fair to count the trade as a big strike or maybe even two strikes against them.

If they make a mistake, they got only one or two more mistakes allowed before they're gone.

Just as Nolan had to be given the chance to make that first pick of the draft but once it became clear he shouldn't have drafted Smith, he had only one strike left.

So they better be damn sure.

Now that's the way it should work. But with 6-year contracts, they may have 6 strikes instead of 3.
thesack12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,965
And1: 170
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#186 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:52 pm

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer was just on NFL radio. He listed Denver, Houston, then Frisco as places Romo might be most interested. He elaborated alluding to the 49ers being the antithesis of his desire to win now, but apparently he has a good relationships with the Shanahans.

I'm pretty skeptical it's a realistic scenario, but he would obviously be an ideal bridge guy. When healthy he still plays at a pretty high level, and would would give the team a puncher's chance to win games. Also would allow the team to be more patient with finding/grooming the heir apparent.
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#187 » by Dodub » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Bald Bull
Pro Prospect
Posts: 811
And1: 43
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
     

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#188 » by Bald Bull » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:44 am

thesack12 wrote:ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer was just on NFL radio. He listed Denver, Houston, then Frisco as places Romo might be most interested. He elaborated alluding to the 49ers being the antithesis of his desire to win now, but apparently he has a good relationships with the Shanahans.

I'm pretty skeptical it's a realistic scenario, but he would obviously be an ideal bridge guy. When healthy he still plays at a pretty high level, and would would give the team a puncher's chance to win games. Also would allow the team to be more patient with finding/grooming the heir apparent.


I'd be depressed if this happened. I live in Cowboy country. I can't think of a more cruel punishment than Tony Romo in a 49er uniform. I've talked way too much trash about Tony Romo. I'll never hear the end of it. Cowboys fans are already becoming smug about the success of Dak Prescott, I don't want to put up with the "You got our left overs" nonsense. :x
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#189 » by Dodub » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:25 am

I would so much rather trade our second rounder for Jimmy G than draft any of the three QB's in even the second
Jikkle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,538
And1: 103
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
         

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#191 » by Jikkle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Just my speculation but Cousins if he's going to stay with the Redskins is going to make them pay top dollar for two reasons.

One the Redskins have basically told Cousins that they like him but not LOVE him by giving him the franchise tag and not working out a long-term deal. Players take that kind of stuff personal and you're not going to want to commit to a team long term that's isn't seriously invested into you.

The other reason is Shannahan and the 9ers. He knows Shannahan wants him and he knows that the 9ers will pay him a nice hefty contract.

So he has no real reason to take a good long-term deal from a team that sorta wants him when he can get a great long-term deal from a team that really wants him.
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#192 » by Dodub » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Jikkle wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Just my speculation but Cousins if he's going to stay with the Redskins is going to make them pay top dollar for two reasons.

One the Redskins have basically told Cousins that they like him but not LOVE him by giving him the franchise tag and not working out a long-term deal. Players take that kind of stuff personal and you're not going to want to commit to a team long term that's isn't seriously invested into you.

The other reason is Shannahan and the 9ers. He knows Shannahan wants him and he knows that the 9ers will pay him a nice hefty contract.

So he has no real reason to take a good long-term deal from a team that sorta wants him when he can get a great long-term deal from a team that really wants him.


Literally the ONLY thing that gives me pause on Cousins is his age. He's going to turn 29 in August and that's not extremely young. If he can play until he is 36 or 37 then it would be completely worth it, but I'd say 34 or 35 is more realistic. If we are truly in rebuild mode, does that put pressure on to speed up the rebuild?
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,149
And1: 165
Joined: May 09, 2014
       

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#193 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Once Cousins is tagged maybe this obsession with the media linking him to the 49ers will die down. Really looking forward to that.

Giving up two first round picks and a massive contract for Cousins would tell me all we need to know about Lynch and Shanahan's personnel abilities.
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#194 » by Dodub » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Once Cousins is tagged maybe this obsession with the media linking him to the 49ers will die down. Really looking forward to that.

Giving up two first round picks and a massive contract for Cousins would tell me all we need to know about Lynch and Shanahan's personnel abilities.


I'd sign him as a FA but I'm not really interested in giving up any high picks at the moment. I'd consider swapping 2nds with the Pats for Jimmy but I wouldn't want to give up the second round all together
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#195 » by Dodub » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Team isn't likely to break the bank with draft picks on a QB. Nor are they likely to reach in the draft.

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,538
And1: 103
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
         

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#196 » by Jikkle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Once Cousins is tagged maybe this obsession with the media linking him to the 49ers will die down. Really looking forward to that.

Giving up two first round picks and a massive contract for Cousins would tell me all we need to know about Lynch and Shanahan's personnel abilities.


It wouldn't cost two 1st rounders or even 1 because Washington if they sense they'll lose Cousins next offseason would likely want to get something for him.

If Cousins doesn't get a long-term deal done with the Redskins I'm guessing the 9ers will just wait until next year and get Cousins as a free agent.

They'll sign a guy like Schaub or Hoyer to be a stop gap, draft a developmental type rookie at some point, and focus on building up the other areas of the team.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,371
And1: 861
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#197 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:13 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Dodub
Starter
Posts: 2,052
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 19, 2014
 

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#198 » by Dodub » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter


I would do a backflip if we pulled this off. Definitely too good to be true.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,149
And1: 165
Joined: May 09, 2014
       

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#199 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 pm

I might be ok with that trade. I'm not the biggest Cousins fan there is but I'll take his ass over what we got which is jack ****. If we could get Davis at 17 then boom.
Jikkle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,538
And1: 103
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
         

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#200 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I'd be down with that trade. We don't lose a draft pick and #17 isn't a terrible spot to be in by any means. And the transition would be smooth as Cousins is a Shanahan guy so he knows the offense.

Would be a far better option than trading for Garapollo.

Return to San Francisco 49ers