ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: Wolfay, MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#41 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 4, 2017 3:28 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Watched a little more Sam Darnold, and I have to say that I like Rosen's game a lot better so far. Darnold looks smart & coordinated, which were the qualities I like in Connor Cook, but the dude looks even more heavy-footed than Rosen, and Darnold's delivery is not pretty at all; it's long. Dude's got a Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-like sky hook thing going on; I foresee a lot of fumbles. He also doesn't seem as accurate as Rosen (or Trubisky).

In fact, I might like Trubisky better than either one; although Rosen is better in some areas. I definitely like Jared Goff more than Darnold so far.

Still have more games to watch though...


I'm surprised by that comment. Don't look at their highlights, but pay attention to a full game. I challenge you to watch USC's rose bowl game this past season and I guarantee you won't find a better played game by a quarterback (other than a few Lamar Jackson video game type performances). Darnold is a much mobile QB compared to Rosen inside the pocket - a sixth sense type of feel in his ability to detect pressure and avoid sacks. Again, not saying Rosen is immobile or that he's not worthy of a top 5 pick, but to say that he has better overall tools than Darnold is crazy. Also, Darnold ability to see the entire field is already at an elite level. Also, if a coach comes in and tries to change his delivery/throwing motion, then that coach deserves to be stone to death :curse: The way he throws allows him to release / gets rid of the ball in all sorts of crazy angles that most QBs wouldn't be able to do (if they wanted the ball to travel beyond 10 yards). That's not necessarily a flaw in his game Sick (i.e. Phillip Rivers).

Lastly, Trubisky is NOT a better prospect than either of them.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#42 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 4, 2017 4:14 pm

This kid here is a player I want to pay close attention to in the upcoming season. He has a good skill set that can translate very well in the NFL. Quick release, strong arm, accurate, anticipatory passer, solid throwing motion making his his throws seem effortless.

User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Thu May 4, 2017 4:27 pm

Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.

Either way, I don't think it'll be Rosen vs. Darnold. Darnold will return to school most likely. It'll be Rosen vs. Allen vs. Jackson, in which case I'm taking Allen all the way (at this point).
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#44 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 4, 2017 4:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.

Either way, I don't think it'll be Rosen vs. Darnold. Darnold will return to school most likely. It'll be Rosen vs. Allen vs. Jackson, in which case I'm taking Allen all the way (at this point).


Hey Clyde, not a fan of Rudolph?
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#45 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 4, 2017 4:53 pm

Josh Rosen - QB - Bruins

The MMQB's Albert Breer spoke to one AFC executive who called UCLA QB Josh Rosen a "mess" off the field.

On top off that statement, the exec notes Rosen is coming off a shoulder injury. "He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts," the NFL evaluator told Breer. As always keep this note in mind on anonymous quotes on a prospect's personality: you are trusting a person you have never met describing another person you've never met. It is stunning that an executive feels the need to put this information out there less than a week after the 2017 NFL Draft.
Source: The MMQB

May 4 - 10:39 AM
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Thu May 4, 2017 4:55 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.

Either way, I don't think it'll be Rosen vs. Darnold. Darnold will return to school most likely. It'll be Rosen vs. Allen vs. Jackson, in which case I'm taking Allen all the way (at this point).


Hey Clyde, not a fan of Rudolph?


Haven't watched enough of him to formulate an opinion yet.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#47 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 4, 2017 8:31 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Watched a little more Sam Darnold, and I have to say that I like Rosen's game a lot better so far. Darnold looks smart & coordinated, which were the qualities I like in Connor Cook, but the dude looks even more heavy-footed than Rosen, and Darnold's delivery is not pretty at all; it's long. Dude's got a Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-like sky hook thing going on; I foresee a lot of fumbles. He also doesn't seem as accurate as Rosen (or Trubisky).

In fact, I might like Trubisky better than either one; although Rosen is better in some areas. I definitely like Jared Goff more than Darnold so far.

Still have more games to watch though...


I'm surprised by that comment. Don't look at their highlights, but pay attention to a full game. I challenge you to watch USC's rose bowl game this past season and I guarantee you won't find a better played game by a quarterback (other than a few Lamar Jackson video game type performances).


I never watch highlight videos for college players.

I only saw a couple of games so far, but I consistently saw too many WTF passes from Darnold. He'd have easy completions in front of him and miss the guy by like 3 yards. And his sky-hook delivery screams "fumbles" at the NFL level.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#48 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 4, 2017 8:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.


Even if you're right, that's extremely faulty logic. Being much, much better than another, no-name college QB does not mean you're better than Josh Rosen.
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#49 » by clyde21 » Fri May 5, 2017 1:33 am

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.


Even if you're right, that's extremely faulty logic. Being much, much better than another, no-name college QB does not mean you're better than Josh Rosen.


I was just making an observation, wasn't saying that that was the reason I like Darnold better than Rosen. I already said why. Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by Darnold's release. Can you point it out?
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Fri May 5, 2017 1:47 am

Just saw what you're talking about. Not see a major issue. It's an over the top windup but the release is still quick and his throws are on time. It doesn't really disrupt his rhythm nor does it require him to overcompensate in other areas.

I generally don't care what the release looks like as long as the ball arrives on time, and with Darnold it does. Non-issue.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#51 » by NinerSickness » Fri May 5, 2017 4:36 am

clyde21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Darnold > Rosen and it's not even close. Watch USC's offense when Browne was the QB vs. when Darnold came in.


Even if you're right, that's extremely faulty logic. Being much, much better than another, no-name college QB does not mean you're better than Josh Rosen.


I was just making an observation, wasn't saying that that was the reason I like Darnold better than Rosen. I already said why. Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by Darnold's release. Can you point it out?


The arc has quite a large circumference. That's a lot of time / space for a DL to hit his arm, IMO.

Image

I also see Rosen plant his feet super quick & stand tall like Tom Brady, and I've seen too much of this off-balance throwing from Darnold where it's a little late and / or a duck:

Image
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#52 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 5, 2017 4:57 pm

This kid has been compared to Sidney Jones, but I think he might even be a little better than Sid, who I think is a very skilled player pre injury.


Jaire Alexander - DB - Cardinals

Louisville junior CB Jaire Alexander ran a 4.32s 40-yard dash during spring testing.

Alexander's 4.32 showing would have ranked fourth-best among all players at the NFL Combine this year. An All-American candidate, Alexander was listed as a late first-rounder earlier this week in Thor Nystrom's 2018 mock draft.
Source: www.courier-journal.com May 5 - 12:32 PM
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#53 » by clyde21 » Fri May 5, 2017 6:10 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Even if you're right, that's extremely faulty logic. Being much, much better than another, no-name college QB does not mean you're better than Josh Rosen.


I was just making an observation, wasn't saying that that was the reason I like Darnold better than Rosen. I already said why. Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by Darnold's release. Can you point it out?


The arc has quite a large circumference. That's a lot of time / space for a DL to hit his arm, IMO.

Image

I also see Rosen plant his feet super quick & stand tall like Tom Brady, and I've seen too much of this off-balance throwing from Darnold where it's a little late and / or a duck:

Image


Does the motion matter that much if it's still quick, in rhythm, and on time?

Image

Image

Non issue, IMO, especially considering the dude is still 19.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#54 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 6, 2017 2:13 am

clyde21 wrote:Non issue, IMO, especially considering the dude is still 19.


Well, he certainly has time to clean all that up. But when I look at Rosen right now, I see a better QB by a significant margin.

As far as his release goes, I'm not so sure it's quick. But maybe I'm wrong; the sports-science people will tell us that in about a year...
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Sat May 6, 2017 2:19 am

NinerSickness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Non issue, IMO, especially considering the dude is still 19.


Well, he certainly has time to clean all that up. But when I look at Rosen right now, I see a better QB by a significant margin.

As far as his release goes, I'm not so sure it's quick. But maybe I'm wrong; the sports-science people will tell us that in about a year...


I'm not seeing it, but we'll agree to disagree.

I think this will be a moot point anyways, as Darnold is a USC lifer. He'll stay until he's graduated or wins a 'ship. I doubt he comes out in '18.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#56 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 6, 2017 6:53 pm

This 2018 class does not look top-heavy at all. Looks pretty weak at the top (QB notwithstanding).
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#57 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 6, 2017 7:24 pm

Believe it or not, Clemson DT Christian Wilkins is near the top of my wish list next offseason if the team can't get a QB. He's the kind of thick, athletic, heavy-handed DT the team needs IMO. And no, I don't have a problem taking a D-lineman in the first 4 years in a row.

Image

Image
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#58 » by clyde21 » Sat May 6, 2017 9:27 pm

Nah, enough with the DL in the first.
User avatar
clyde21
Head Coach
Posts: 7,241
And1: 2,298
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Sat May 6, 2017 9:30 pm

NinerSickness wrote:This 2018 class does not look top-heavy at all. Looks pretty weak at the top (QB notwithstanding).


It's strong(er) at the top depending on who stays and goes but the depth and value as go greatly diminishes if you compare it to the 2017 draft. That said it's still early and these things can change throughout the year but I'm not excited about '18 as I was about '17.

QB and OL will be and should be stronger than this year's but everything else is weaker.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,833
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#60 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 7, 2017 11:21 am

clyde21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:This 2018 class does not look top-heavy at all. Looks pretty weak at the top (QB notwithstanding).


It's strong(er) at the top depending on who stays and goes but the depth and value as go greatly diminishes if you compare it to the 2017 draft. That said it's still early and these things can change throughout the year but I'm not excited about '18 as I was about '17.

QB and OL will be and should be stronger than this year's but everything else is weaker.


The 2017 class was insanely good at the CB and RB positions respectively; and it was also loaded with edge rushers.

This upcoming '18 class will once again have great DTs at the top of the draft (Daylan Mack, Wilkens, Nnadi, etc.) and it will be surprisingly good at corner too (but nowhere near as much depth compared to 2017); but I see some great talent there --potential 1st rounders. Also the RB group could be descent compared to years past if players like Nick Chubb is 100% from his knee injury; and Royce Freeman has a bounce back year. I see the potential for the next draft to be a great one - b/c the QBs could push an elite player like Malik Jefferson or Iman Marshall (1st round picks most years) down the board to late first early second round range. QBs aren't afraid of getting that 1 year label being placed on them as a negative. I envision a player like Auburn's Jarrett Stidham entering the draft after just one season of starting if he's able to make noise in the SEC this year. He and Lock are my sleepers entering the season as this year's (Wentz and Trubisky type rise). I remember watching Corey Coleman a couple years ago tearing up secondaries, and Stidham as a true freshman stood out to me. I said to myself that this kid is a future top ten pick, now he's finally eligible and at Auburn he'll get his opportunity.

Return to San Francisco 49ers