ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: Wolfay, MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#81 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB - Crimson Tide

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Alabama junior DB Minkah Fitzpatrick No. 2 overall on his first 2018 big board.

"There is some projection here because Fitzpatrick (6-1, 195) has played both corner and safety and appears likely to stick at safety in 2017. But the versatility is a plus, and he could be really good at either spot," Kiper wrote. Over the past two seasons, Fitzpatrick has eight interceptions and four pick-sixes. "I also like that Fitzpatrick will get after it on special teams," Kiper wrote of a player who logged 11 special-teams tackles last year. The 6-foot-1, 201-pound Fitzpatrick ran a 4.44-second 40-yard dash this spring. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom slotted Fitzpatrick No. 5 to the Bears in a recent 2018 mock draft.
Source: ESPN

May 11 - 2:51 PM
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#82 » by NinerSickness » Fri May 12, 2017 3:46 am

A lot is being made of Jake Browning's noodle arm, but I'm actually higher on him than most prognosticators I don't think his arm is as bad as people say. And arm strength is something that you can actually improve with weight training (although you have to be careful not to over-do it and get injured).
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#83 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 13, 2017 2:01 am

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has thrown the ball 85 yards and run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds.

Allen planned to declare for the NFL Draft after last season before a change of heart. The B/R profile also notes that the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Allen may grow to be 6-foot-6 by the fall. Wyoming's coaching staff molded Carson Wentz at North Dakota State. "You got a dude who’s 6’5", 235 pounds and can also run a 4.6 rolling down on ya? His arm strength is on par with Peyton Manning," said HC Craig Bohl. Allen is working with QB coach George Whitfield. "His talent is mythical," says Whitfield. "He’s Cam’s frame, but he can stop, start and has the antenna of a Manziel. It’s not a referendum on talent. It’s flight hours. He’s a young, talented pilot. He just needs more hours in the plane." About Allen's draft decision, Whitfield added: "Every quarterback in this draft should exhale. I think he would have been the first quarterback taken. ... I don’t think any one of those guys comes in with the skill set or nuclear element that he comes in with."
Source: Bleacher Report

May 12 - 2:03 PM
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#84 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 15, 2017 4:51 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has thrown the ball 85 yards and run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds.

Allen planned to declare for the NFL Draft after last season before a change of heart. The B/R profile also notes that the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Allen may grow to be 6-foot-6 by the fall. Wyoming's coaching staff molded Carson Wentz at North Dakota State. "You got a dude who’s 6’5", 235 pounds and can also run a 4.6 rolling down on ya? His arm strength is on par with Peyton Manning," said HC Craig Bohl. Allen is working with QB coach George Whitfield. "His talent is mythical," says Whitfield. "He’s Cam’s frame, but he can stop, start and has the antenna of a Manziel. It’s not a referendum on talent. It’s flight hours. He’s a young, talented pilot. He just needs more hours in the plane." About Allen's draft decision, Whitfield added: "Every quarterback in this draft should exhale. I think he would have been the first quarterback taken. ... I don’t think any one of those guys comes in with the skill set or nuclear element that he comes in with."
Source: Bleacher Report

May 12 - 2:03 PM


He's an intriguing prospect, but he threw 15 picks in 14 games last year. If that doesn't come WAY down this year, I wouldn't even consider him. More than a pick a game is unacceptable at the college level. Wonder if there's a way to determine how many were his fault...
I_am_1z
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 35
Joined: Aug 22, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#85 » by I_am_1z » Mon May 15, 2017 3:11 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has thrown the ball 85 yards and run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds.

Allen planned to declare for the NFL Draft after last season before a change of heart. The B/R profile also notes that the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Allen may grow to be 6-foot-6 by the fall. Wyoming's coaching staff molded Carson Wentz at North Dakota State. "You got a dude who’s 6’5", 235 pounds and can also run a 4.6 rolling down on ya? His arm strength is on par with Peyton Manning," said HC Craig Bohl. Allen is working with QB coach George Whitfield. "His talent is mythical," says Whitfield. "He’s Cam’s frame, but he can stop, start and has the antenna of a Manziel. It’s not a referendum on talent. It’s flight hours. He’s a young, talented pilot. He just needs more hours in the plane." About Allen's draft decision, Whitfield added: "Every quarterback in this draft should exhale. I think he would have been the first quarterback taken. ... I don’t think any one of those guys comes in with the skill set or nuclear element that he comes in with."
Source: Bleacher Report

May 12 - 2:03 PM


He's an intriguing prospect, but he threw 15 picks in 14 games last year. If that doesn't come WAY down this year, I wouldn't even consider him. More than a pick a game is unacceptable at the college level. Wonder if there's a way to determine how many were his fault...


No way he can throw it 85 yards in the air. I don't think we've seen anything like that before
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#86 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has thrown the ball 85 yards and run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds.

Allen planned to declare for the NFL Draft after last season before a change of heart. The B/R profile also notes that the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Allen may grow to be 6-foot-6 by the fall. Wyoming's coaching staff molded Carson Wentz at North Dakota State. "You got a dude who’s 6’5", 235 pounds and can also run a 4.6 rolling down on ya? His arm strength is on par with Peyton Manning," said HC Craig Bohl. Allen is working with QB coach George Whitfield. "His talent is mythical," says Whitfield. "He’s Cam’s frame, but he can stop, start and has the antenna of a Manziel. It’s not a referendum on talent. It’s flight hours. He’s a young, talented pilot. He just needs more hours in the plane." About Allen's draft decision, Whitfield added: "Every quarterback in this draft should exhale. I think he would have been the first quarterback taken. ... I don’t think any one of those guys comes in with the skill set or nuclear element that he comes in with."
Source: Bleacher Report

May 12 - 2:03 PM


He's an intriguing prospect, but he threw 15 picks in 14 games last year. If that doesn't come WAY down this year, I wouldn't even consider him. More than a pick a game is unacceptable at the college level. Wonder if there's a way to determine how many were his fault...


His decision making is definitely his biggest issue. He puts a lot of trusts his arm, perhaps a little too much. Part of it is because he feels the need to try to do extra to lift his team to victory. There's not much NFL talent around him at the skills position, maybe his TE?
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#87 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 am

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks writes that Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen "struggles with his accuracy and ball placement at times" and "isn't the connect-the-dots passer that some teams prefer at the position."

While Brooks lauds Allen's "A-plus arm talent, gunslinger mentality and experience directing a pro-style offense," he says the prospect's 56-percent completion rate must be improved upon and his 15 interceptions must be cut down on. "As a fastball pitcher with unlimited range and outstanding velocity, he can make tight-window throws without flinching," Brooks wrote. "While that is certainly a positive aspect of his game, particularly in dire situations, Allen's tendency to 'throw it up' without regard is also a huge concern." Allen enters the season as a consensus top-10 overall prospect; Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom projected Allen as the No. 6 pick in a 2018 mock draft and wrote that Allen "isn’t quite the gun-slinging risk-taker that Pat Mahomes is, but Allen wouldn’t be out of place playing craps at Mahomes’ table in Las Vegas." Concluded Brooks: "Although he still has time to refine his passing skills and master the management part of the g
Source: NFL.com

May 17 - 5:27 PM
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#88 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 am

Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#90 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm



Dude's stock will tumble just like we saw with Tim Williams this year. Even as talented as he is I don't see how he'll continue to remain on all of the teams draft boards.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#91 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Drew Lock - QB - Tigers

Missouri junior QB Drew Lock completed 8-of-14 passes for 63 yards during the team's spring game.

Lock was only in for a few series, hence the lack of more robust statistics. He won't be receiving the same kind of pub as, say, Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason or Shea Patterson, but the 6-foot-4, 205-pounder is quietly one of the more interesting quarterbacks in the SEC. Last season, Lock threw for 3,398 yards with a 23/10 TD/INT ratio in 12 games played. Those numbers marked a respectable improvement off his work as a true freshman. Next step: More consistency. He completed just 54.6% of his passes and posted a 10/10 TD/INT ratio against SEC competition in 2016. He has more than enough arm strength to compete against elite defenses if he can improve on his decision-making.
Source: Rock M Nation

May 22 - 8:11 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#92 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Lamar Jackson - QB - Cardinals

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks writes that Louisville junior QB Lamar Jackson is closer to Robert Griffin III than Marcus Mariota at the moment.

Brooks believes that the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Jackson will be compared by scouts to RGIII and Mariota, both of whom were No. 2 overall picks. Griffin and Mariota were both far better in the pocket in college than L-Jax has been so far, but it's imperative to keep in mind that Jackson has only started for a year-and-a-half and has two seasons of eligibility left. While Jackson remains raw, he has NFL arm strength and a QB guru for a coach in Bobby Petrino. "In the passing game, Jackson is more of a thrower than passer," Brooks wrote. "Despite having a 'big' arm (outstanding arm strength, zip and velocity), he lacks the polished footwork and fundamentals to efficiently work from the pocket. He fails to consistently step into his throws, which leads to struggles with his accuracy and ball placement." The analyst concluded: "[Jackson] has the athletic talent to be a be a game changer at the next level, but he needs to refine his overall game (pocket poise, footwork
Source: NFL.com

May 24 - 3:32 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#93 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has "ridiculous arm strength" and plays with a "ultra-aggressive" style and a "gunslinger mentality," writes ESPN's Matt Bowen.

Allen also can create both inside and outside of the pocket in Wyoming's pro-style offense. "Allen can get downhill on QB counter and power schemes, plus he becomes a threat to opposing defenses when he pulls the ball down to scramble," Bowen wrote. The analyst echoes the consensus belief that Allen is "still very raw" but boasts more "upside than any QB in this class." Earlier this week, NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah stated a belief that Allen is a better NFL prospect than Patrick Mahomes.
Source: ESPN

May 24 - 2:25 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#94 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 27, 2017 1:58 am

This story sounded fishy from the onset. Between he and Calloway, not sure who's doing the best job in hurting their own stock:

Arden Key - DL - Tigers

LSU DC Dave Aranda said that the coaching staff will try to clarify the playing future of junior edge rusher Arden Key when they meet next week.

"Arden's looking good. We get back together next week with a full staff. ... I anticipate at that time that we'll hear about Arden's direction and where he's going and whether he'll be with us or not," Aranda said. He added, "I'm very hopeful he will be." The 6-foot-6, 255-pounder -- a potential top-10 pick next spring -- left the team for personal reasons in mid-February. He tweeted in late April that he had no plans of sitting out the 2017 season and his father indicated that his absence is not due to injury. "I think we have a defense with Arden and a defense without Arden. There's two very separate entities there," Aranda said. "I'm pulling for the one with."
Source: AL.com

May 26 - 6:37 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#95 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 am

Royce Freeman - RB - Ducks

The Oregonian's Andrew Greif observed that during spring practice, Oregon senior RB Royce Freeman was putting in work out wide.

"Throughout practice 11-on-11 periods in spring, sure-handed backs Kani Benoit and Royce Freeman often were split wide behind a trips formation of receivers who turned into blockers upon a quick screen pass to the running back," Greif writes. Freeman has caught 65 passes during his Oregon career, including at least 20 in each of the last two seasons. He is looking to bounce back from a lost 2016 season in which he rushed for 945 yards in 11 games -- the first season in his career in which he failed to surpass 1,350 yards on the ground.
Source: The Oregonian

May 26 - 8:23 PM
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#96 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 27, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm very conflicted about Bradley Chubb, DE NC State.

Positives: Dude appears to have a long reach & a strong upper body (Aldon, Justin Smith). Very good run stopper.
He looks pretty quick for a dude listed at 275 pounds. He's a pure, pass-rushing DE and not a DE / DT like Thomas, and the Niners need a pure LEO, not a guy who plays all along the line. Also, I always like drafting bigger guys who might could possibly shed 10 pounds rather than smaller guys who might need to gain; Chubb could lose 15 pounds & still be more than big enough to play LEO.

Negatives: All that said, Chubb was not highly recruited in high school at all, and there's always the risk that he's just 'roided out to get on NFL radar (Vernon Gholston). He also clearly isn't the next Myles Garrett, and I don't see him as a guy NFL tackles are going to fear. He strikes me as a guy who could be a great value pick near the top of the 2nd round or maybe after a trade up in the 1st. There's also the fact that he got 3 sacks in pouring rain, which may have inflated his stats undeservedly. I've also seen TEs & RBs pick him up with a high rate of success, which is worrisome.

Overall: I could be wrong, but Chubb isn't very high on my wish list. I don't see an elite pass rusher like Aldon was. He's a guy you snatch up if he slides further than you thought he would, IMO, but he's not a guy you target in the top 10. Realistically, I see an Olivier Vernon or a Demarcus Lawrence in him (if he pans out at all). If he really works his a** off, maybe a Carlos Dunlap. But I don't think he's going to. His personality doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#97 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 27, 2017 9:58 pm

NinerSickness wrote:I'm very conflicted about Bradley Chubb, DE NC State.

Positives: Dude appears to have a long reach & a strong upper body (Aldon, Justin Smith). Very good run stopper.
He looks pretty quick for a dude listed at 275 pounds. He's a pure, pass-rushing DE and not a DE / DT like Thomas, and the Niners need a pure LEO, not a guy who plays all along the line. Also, I always like drafting bigger guys who might could possibly shed 10 pounds rather than smaller guys who might need to gain; Chubb could lose 15 pounds & still be more than big enough to play LEO.

Negatives: All that said, Chubb was not highly recruited in high school at all, and there's always the risk that he's just 'roided out to get on NFL radar (Vernon Gholston). He also clearly isn't the next Myles Garrett, and I don't see him as a guy NFL tackles are going to fear. He strikes me as a guy who could be a great value pick near the top of the 2nd round or maybe after a trade up in the 1st. There's also the fact that he got 3 sacks in pouring rain, which may have inflated his stats undeservedly. I've also seen TEs & RBs pick him up with a high rate of success, which is worrisome.

Overall: I could be wrong, but Chubb isn't very high on my wish list. I don't see an elite pass rusher like Aldon was. He's a guy you snatch up if he slides further than you thought he would, IMO, but he's not a guy you target in the top 10. Realistically, I see an Olivier Vernon or a Demarcus Lawrence in him (if he pans out at all). If he really works his a** off, maybe a Carlos Dunlap. But I don't think he's going to. His personality doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.



If you're looking for a "pure LEO" than Marquin Haynes and Byron Cowart are the prospect you need to pay attention to.
NinerSickness
Analyst
Posts: 3,030
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
 

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#98 » by NinerSickness » Sun May 28, 2017 3:19 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:If you're looking for a "pure LEO" than Marquin Haynes and Byron Cowart are the prospect you need to pay attention to.


You mean Marquis, right? I'll be sure to watch out for him. Cowart, on the other hand, was beaten out for a starting job by a freshman, and he's yet to record a single sack; I'm not sure what he's done to warrant any attention besides having tons of high-school hype.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#99 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 28, 2017 5:07 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:If you're looking for a "pure LEO" than Marquin Haynes and Byron Cowart are the prospect you need to pay attention to.


You mean Marquis, right? I'll be sure to watch out for him. Cowart, on the other hand, was beaten out for a starting job by a freshman, and he's yet to record a single sack; I'm not sure what he's done to warrant any attention besides having tons of high-school hype.


Yes, Marquis -- I use my mobile phone to access this site and as a result I am more susceptible to have more typos nowadays. Not sure how you guys do it but I prefer laptops / computers.

Cowart is the next T.J. Watt in terms of motor, athletic ability and his projection as a rush specialist in the league. Similarly, he'll explode next year and his first full season, and also please note that the one of the reasons why he hasn't been able to see the field is due to punitive measures levied against him by position coach or DC for his sh8tyy attitude from what I've gathered. It has nothing to do with his talent but not being receptive to hard coaching for lack of better words. Having said that the MAIN reason why he has not seen the field other than his attitude is because of medical reasons (several nagging injuries); most recently an appendectomy.

If his attitude changes for the better, and most importantly is able to remain healthy, he has the tools / talent to climb all the way in the top 15 IMO.

He's now playing a different position on the DLine, so it's a moot point. The dude is still explosive as phuck.
Bingo_AlphaMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,842
And1: 57
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
     

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#100 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Javaris Davis - DB - Tigers

Auburn redshirt sophomore CB Javaris Davis led the team during spring testing with a 4.24s 40-yard dash.

This wasn't a hand-timed result either, as Auburn uses the Zybek timing system (ala the NFL Scouting Combine). Davis showed potential as a redshirt freshman last year, and he spent the spring with the first-team defense. Two of his cousins -- brothers Vontae and Vernon Davis -- played in the NFL.
Source: NFL.com

May 29 - 3:20 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers