Seahawks Draft Thread (Can You Ever Get Enough Of The Hawks?

Moderator: Cactus Jack

nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Re: Seahawks Draft Thread (Can You Ever Get Enough Of The Ha 

Post#41 » by nuke the whales » Sat May 10, 2014 5:31 pm

There's always 132
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#42 » by nuke the whales » Sat May 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Wasn't expecting a LB, but we're going to have to make some salary cap decisions in that group soon and might not be able to keep everyone.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#43 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 10, 2014 6:19 pm

You just can't have enough Pierre's on your team. :lol:

Boy, we didn't eff around when it came to the WR position this off-season. That's for sure. We...

--Resigned Rice
--Signed that Canadian guy whom I can't remember the name of
--Signed some other FA receiver whom I also can't remember the name of
--Used our top pick in the draft on Richardson
--Used our 4th pick in the draft on Norwwod

It's the PC "competition thing". They really wanted to get the WR position right this year. I'm beginning to think they intend on raising the percentage of the times they pass the ball next year. Not by a lot, of course, but up-it a bit nonetheless. In other words, give RW even more initiative, opportunities and weapons to work with in his 3rd season as our starting QB. This includes the resigning of Zach Miller and the further development of Lucas Wilson at the TE position, and, hopefully, the utilization of Percy Harvin's talents for a whole season.

I guess it's wait and see how this receiving corp shakes out, comes into better focus this summer and early fall.

I have to respectfullly defer...In PC and Schneider I trust. They've earned it.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#44 » by nuke the whales » Sat May 10, 2014 6:46 pm

So far we've gone WR x2, OL, DE, and LB. With 4 picks left it seems like we still need more at OL, DL, and CB.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Last year's draft class is one reason why I don't feel the need to freak out over losing guys in free agency or who we pick in this year's class. The Seahawks have entered a new reality. We're no longer a team that has to strike gold early in the draft, plug those players into the lineup immediately, and pray for production. We're good enough that we can often afford to redshirt draft picks so they can learn their role and what's expected of them before they are called on to produce.

It's so easy to forget the players we have redshirted from last year's draft, players like Jesse Williams (DT), Jordan Hill (DT), Tharold Simon (CB), etc...potential quality players who well might become regular cogs in our lineups/rotations.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#46 » by Sweezo » Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 pm

nuke the whales wrote:So far we've gone WR x2, OL, DE, and LB. With 4 picks left it seems like we still need more at OL, DL, and CB.

Looks like we grabbed another tackle: Garrett Scott out of Marshall.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Sweezo » Sat May 10, 2014 11:22 pm

So the draft's finished for us, and here's the final tally.

2: Paul Richardson: WR, 6'0, 170 lb.
2: Justin Britt: T, 6'6, 325 lbs.
4: Cassius Marsh: DE, 6'4, 252 lbs.
4: Kevin Norwood: WR, 6'2, 198 lbs.
4: Kevin Pierre-Louis: LB, 6'0, 232 lbs.
5: Jimmy Staten: DT, 6'4, 304 lbs.
5: Garrett Scott: T, 6'5, 295 lbs.
6: Eric Pinkins: S, 6'3 220 lbs.
7: Kiero Small: FB, 5'8, 244 (!) lbs

Some thoughts:

1. Other than the PAC-12 guys, I've heard of none of these guys. Such is life for a Seahawks fan...you're not going to see big names headed to your team more often than not. Getting prepped for the draft as a fan is an impossible task.

2. We got some offensive line depth. Again, none of the guys are big names but their athletic measurables are great. We're all used to this, right? I don't think Cable really likes getting polished big name offensive line. Cable was hired in January '11. In that time, we've drafted Carpenter, Moffitt, Sweezy, Bowie, Jared Smith, and Seymour Most of those guys were lower round picks. The only two that weren't are Carpenter and Moffitt, and given the timeframe in which Cable was hired there's a decent chance his role in the draft was still being decided. Of course, they also added Bailey as a UFA.

That's not a dominant group but it gets the job done. Sweezy's only getting better, and Carpenter finally seemed to find his way late last season. Bowie and Bailey look quite good. Cable comments after this draft show he's excited about the guys he's got, and I'm excited to see what he can do with them in as replacements for Giacomini and (especially) McQuistan.

3. We didn't draft a corner...but, yet we did. The Pinkins pick is interesting because the guy, presumably, seems like depth for Kam Chancellor given his size. But he ran a 4.4 40. And in his post-draft comments, Pinkins indicted the Seahawks have told him to get ready to play cornerback. Browner leaves, so we try to build a new one.

4. Making this team as a WR will be tough. Harvin, Baldwin, Rice, and Kearse probably aren't going anywhere assuming all are healthy. Lockette? He should probably worry. His straight-line speed is nice and he made a couple ST tackles, but doesn't offer much else. His offseason exploits also likely did little to ingratiate him amongst his bosses. We drafted some guys today who've already spoken about the need to make an impact on special teams. Plus, we signed Chris Matthews and Taylor Price. The former a big WR from the CFL, and the latter a workout warrior the team's always had it's eyes on.

5. The biggest surprise to me was seeing the team draft a fullback. I cannot think of a position that is less of a need than fullback. I assume Mike Rob's moving on, while Small gets to compete with Coleman and Ware. Maybe they decide to use Ware as more of a RB? Small doesn't seem like any sort of threat as a rusher or even a pass catcher. He's just a run blocker. But 5'8, 245 lbs? Seriously, what the hell? Who's built like that? The guy sounds like a bruiser, which is something Ware and Coleman probably are not.

Now, on to the UDFAs!
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 11, 2014 2:24 am

^^^Nice recap Sweez. More to come...but nice to read the thoughts of a knowledgeable and passionate Seahawk fan.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#49 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Oh Man... Your new right tackle?:

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Sweezo » Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 pm

What better way to stick it to the Niners than by drafting THAT guy and turning him into one of us.
Rusted
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Seahawks Draft Thread (Can You Ever Get Enough Of The Hawks? 

Post#51 » by Rusted » Sat May 2, 2015 7:58 pm

Am I in the right area? No one talking about the 2015 Seahawks draft?
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#52 » by TTown » Sat May 2, 2015 8:46 pm

i think this draft all comes down to what kind of contributions we get from poole and glowinsky. if they can make (quick) solid contributions on the interior, then huzzah.

clark looks like he'll be a good eventual replacement for avrill, and i've been high on tyler lockett for years. he's small, but he's a big play guy and he'll make a big impact on special teams. was anything more sad than our return game last year? lockett makes up for not re-signing golden tate. just for the cherry on top, he's an excellent gunner, too. if our 4th round OL'ers pan out, lots of potential for contributors this draft. looks like the front office didn't stray far from our needs.

cb tye smith (5th round) sounds interesting. i didn't watch the game, but the chatter is that he held kevin white (#7 overall) in check all game when towson played west virginia this year.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#53 » by TTown » Sat May 2, 2015 8:50 pm

obum gwacham is very intriguing at DE (6th round). i watched him play WR at oregon state, then switched to DE his senior year. he's got a learning curve ahead of him, but he's damn fast and plenty athletic. great project pick, and a name to remember a few year's down the line.
ImageImageImageImage
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#54 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 6, 2015 3:33 am

Solid draft, yet again.

Love the Lockett Pick! Dude's going to be a stud! Jury still out on the Clark pick.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#55 » by Yunsen » Wed May 6, 2015 9:06 am

Lockett seems a little small to be a gunner but we already have a few good (if a little boneheaded) ones anyways. Can't wait to see him return kicks.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#56 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 6, 2015 5:25 pm

New reports of Bennett wanting a trade :nonono:

Edit: Bennett is not asking to be traded. Wants a raise, however. :roll:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Rusted
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#57 » by Rusted » Sun May 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Lockett should really help open up the passing game with his speed. I just hope Poole and Glowinsky work out well.

Return to Seattle Seahawks