Moderator: Cactus Jack

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Preseason Game 3: DangeRuss takeover 

Post#1 » by Danny Darko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

VS.

Game thread sponsored by: The Lollipop Guild Strikes Back!

Russ Wilson announced as the starter for this game.

Injury update:

Seahawks-

Most notably and new... Doug Baldwin had a "procedure' on his hamstring.

Chiefs

we care not

Things to Watch:

1. QB's again
It's show up or shutup time for the debate on if Wilson's success was greatly magnified due to poor quality of opposing 2nd and 3rd string defenses.

2. Rice
Rice is going to play and test out his new shoulders. I like our depth at wr, but not as much as I would like him to have a big year.

3. TO vs Edwards
Edwards has the edge in on field production and age right now. It's probable that TO needs to show something here to stay in the hunt for a spot. Also linked to this... I don't think Durham will be with us much longer if he doesn't turn his preseason around.

4. Bruuuuuuuce
Got a good lick on Manning, but Pete seems to be keeping his real plans for Bruce and Clem secret i the preseason rarely playing Bruce on passing downs. I'm curious to see if they get passing down burn this game.

Predictions-
I don't see Russ being shaken by starting, so I'm guessing he takes the reigns, but i just hope the backup line play doesn't get Flynn knocked silly.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Preseason Game 3: DangeRuss takeover 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 pm

My level of excitement for this game absolutely dwarfs any excitement for the last two games combined. How big is this game? This PRESEASON game? What happens if Wilson puts up the same numbers he has been...against starters...on the road...in KC?

I've spent the past day wondering what Pete's doing, flipping between wanting Flynn to get as many reps as needed and wanting to see what Wilson can do. But after reading Rob Staton's take at Seahawks Draft Blog I think he summarized the rationale for starting Wilson fairly well. If PC just names Flynn the starter, it undermines his process and leaves fans wondering if it was the right decision. Doing things this way seems to make the process pretty transparent.

I want Wilson to tear the roof off the place, and I want Flynn to respond in kind with the time he gets with the 1st/2nd team. I want PC to know he has two great QB options instead of one horrible one like last year.

Danny Darko wrote:2. Rice
Rice is going to play and test out his new shoulders. I like our depth at wr, but not as much as I would like him to have a big year.

I want to see Rice healthy and doing well, along with seeing what Tate can do. Tate's mostly been invisible despite much praise this camp for his improved route running. The QB decision is huge, but so is the decision about not only which WR to keep but which ones actually see time on the field. There needs to be some semblance of chemistry between QB and WR.

I think Durham is a camp casualty, along with Lockette. Which is extremely disappointing as I expected good things out of them this season.

Owens? He'll have a huge game, because that seems like what he would do just so the decision making process ends up being that much harder than it needs to be.

Danny Darko wrote:4. Bruuuuuuuce
Got a good lick on Manning, but Pete seems to be keeping his real plans for Bruce and Clem secret i the preseason rarely playing Bruce on passing downs. I'm curious to see if they get passing down burn this game.

Hey...how about seeing something other than a simple bull rush move to the outside? PC/JS have earned my trust, but boy is it hard seeing Quentin Coples and Chandler Jones explode while Irvin just hasn't...yet.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#3 » by Bulltalk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah, the excitment of Wilson starting under the "competition" mantra of Carroll makes this game highly intriguing. I read one writer who said that this, in a way, truly lends transparency and legitimacy to this Carroll competition thing. It honestly does seem like if RW has an undeniably strong 1st half, he could well win the starting role. At the very least, it will put Flynn on a shorter leash at season's start if he is named the starter.

This is some drama unfolding here. :lol:

I was internally screaming for the Hawks to draft Coples before I knew that Bruce Irvin even existed. His existence was proven to me when it was announced that he was the Hawks 1st round pick. With Irvin, the athleticism is surely there, and he seems to really want to be good. I just don't think he's had much quality coaching at all, and is lacking in technique. He can't simply out-athletic such quality opponents all the time at this level. We'll just have to wait and see with him, how he improves in this regard, how he will end up being utilized.

Can we please get some kind of definition with our receiving corp soon. For heaven's sake, with all this competition thing, and our nursing of receiver's injuries this preseason, we're going to need a "bye-week" the 1st week of the season. I think Carroll's got a lot of faith in our D and our running game to be playing it the way he's playing it now. He seems to think that a decent passing attack will just be a bonus the first half of the season, rather than any kind of necessity. Strange attitude in this pass-happy league now. Carroll is either going to look good or questionable in this regard with the passage of time this season.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 am

As much as I wish our QB situation was settled, boy am I glad we're not dealing with what Arizona is. Their offensive line is crumbling and Skelton/Kolb look just terrible.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Bulltalk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 am

Sweezo wrote:As much as I wish our QB situation was settled, boy am I glad we're not dealing with what Arizona is. Their offensive line is crumbling and Skelton/Kolb look just terrible.

Kolb and his contract is making it look like we picked Flynn up at the Goodwill. Think of the GM's who are thinking my God, we dodged a bullet there.

I keep thinking...can RW really be our guy (eventually if not now) at his height? Hugh Millen has got me kind of spooked about it. :lol:

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:20 pm

But look at Millen's frame of reference. Millen's frame of reference is that of a not very good pro-QB who got shuttled around and played the game in a different era. He seems as bent out of shape now as he did when he was defending every little thing Hass did even though his career was on the decline. Millen's about convention, and Wilson is the absolute opposite of that. I don't type that to take a shot at Millen, so much that I feel Millen too often identifies with certain types of QBs, and puts himself in their situation.

I was listening to Brock & Salk this morning; Robbie Tobeck was filling in for Brock, and Tobeck/Salk were basically making the point that what the Seahawks QBs are going through right now is more or less what every other position player goes through during camp: Competing for a spot, getting shuttled for reps, etc.

Far too many of the media personalities seem to make the mistake we make as fans. The coaching staff keeps saying "it's an open competition" and we tend to think "no, it's not...it will be Flynn." I've certainly thought the same if you look at my posts. But at this point, hearing guy on the radio tell me that it's still going to be Flynn that starts the season seems needlessly stubborn.

Some of the people decrying the decision to start Wilson for a half tonight make it seem as if doing this destroys the whole season which is just absolutely bonkers. If Wilson succeeds and he outperforms Flynn in the preseason, I'm not so certain he needs to wait on the bench behind Flynn.

This has a chance to be a special season.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:46 am

got here for the end of the 1st. Looks like Wilson is doing pretty well, but haven't seen a passing play yet
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#8 » by Danny Darko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 am

and just like that the he burns the blitz with a big run!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:08 am

So I haven't been watching as I was at a work function. But I was constantly checking my phone for updates. I'm going to watch it on DVR, but it sounded like Wilson was just dominant. I feel bad for Flynn, but good for Seahawks because I think we've found our guy.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Danny Darko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:23 am

this is the guy. I was impressed. just as cool and confident against the starting D as he was against the backups.

How does Flynn respond for the rest of the year?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 am

Danny Darko wrote:this is the guy. I was impressed. just as cool and confident against the starting D as he was against the backups.

I'm amazed how in control Wilson is. This is a young man who's never played at this level, getting the play-call from the sidelines, lining up the offense quickly, and executing. So often I felt like Tarvaris wasn't truly in control, and that really showed when the team needed a drive to put points on the board quickly.

His poise is remarkable. He doesn't seem scared out there, and rarely indecisive. It doesn't seem to matter who his receivers are either. Whether he's throwing to presumed starters like Rice or a guy who likely won't make the roster like Martin, he just seems to have a knack for finding them.

As a scrambler, he isn't running scared. He picks his spots, uses his blockers, and darts out of bounds within taking any punishment. Remarkable.

The guy led 6 scoring drives in a row tonight, and the team never punted with him at the helm. When T-Jack came in, Jon Ryan got about as much action over the course of those drives as T-Jack did.

In Flynn's performances, you saw some potential for a a game manager QB. "Well, if that WR runs that route right...if the line doesn't fall apart there..." In Wilson's performances, we've seen performance, not potential.

If Carroll doesn't name Wilson the starter, he'd seem to undermine everything he preaches. There's no further competition to be had.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Bulltalk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:30 am

Sweezo wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:this is the guy. I was impressed. just as cool and confident against the starting D as he was against the backups.

I'm amazed how in control Wilson is. This is a young man who's never played at this level, getting the play-call from the sidelines, lining up the offense quickly, and executing. So often I felt like Tarvaris wasn't truly in control, and that really showed when the team needed a drive to put points on the board quickly.

His poise is remarkable. He doesn't seem scared out there, and rarely indecisive. It doesn't seem to matter who his receivers are either. Whether he's throwing to presumed starters like Rice or a guy who likely won't make the roster like Martin, he just seems to have a knack for finding them.

The guy led 6 scoring drives in a row tonight, and the team never punted with him at the helm. When T-Jack came in, Jon Ryan got about as much action over the course of those drives as T-Jack did.

In Flynn's performances, you saw some potential for a a game manager QB. "Well, if that WR runs that route right...if the line doesn't fall apart there..." In Wilson's performances, we've seen performance, not potential.

If Carroll doesn't name Wilson the starter, he'd seem to undermine everything he preaches. There's no further competition to be had.

Oh. My. God. I agree with both of you. How can one not? Sure, it's still a small sample size, three small sample sizes; but he has delivered on all of them. How can you deny him what he's earned, if this truly is a competition? I can't put it any better, Sweezo. You hit most all the marks. I would add one more to the list off the top of my head. RW attempts (and oftentimes completes) DOWNFIELD STRIKES! I've been so bored with our offense in recent years by the lack of true downfield attempts in the passing game. Yes, I love the high percentage short passing and check down passing gig. But for heaven's sake, I am so sick of our QB's seemingly timid reluctance to go for big chunks of yards downfield. What a breath of fresh air to see RW so willing to give our receivers a chance to make a play downfield. I want to see a QB with some confidence in this regard, some real faith in his receivers.

Much more to say, but mostly just so satisfied by tonight's performance all the way around that I feel I have to belch from it. And I do feel for Flynn in this drama. But my wanting of exciting football trumps such a feeling in the end. I want to win. This guy seems like a winner from what I've seen so far. I want to see more. And I don't want to have to wait for it. I think the feeling is going to be mutual amongst the majority of Hawk fans who have been following this drama closely.

I am starting to get confident that we're going to win more games than we're going to lose this year, barring a slew of significant injuries. I'll leave it at that for now. The feeling I got from watching the game tonight is that the players are really buying into this team, feeling that something special, exciting and fun is developing. It's palpable.

Go Hawks!

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:29 am

Bulltalk wrote:I would add one more to the list off the top of my head. RW attempts (and oftentimes completes) DOWNFIELD STRIKES! I've been so bored with our offense in recent years by the lack of true downfield attempts in the passing game.

And if I could add one more qualifier to that: He likes to put those passes in places where only his guy can make the play. The TD to Martin, the completion(s) to Edwards, etc. He gives his receivers a chance to make a big play, and so far he's done it in a way where the potential reward is great than the risks. Compare that to Tarvaris who certainly has the strongest arm on the team, but is either afraid or unable to use it effectively/consistently.

Tonight, Wilson's the headline, but there was a lot to like. Specifically Turbin. With Lynch on the bench we got to see Turbin used both outside [where he showed he has the speed to break the run outside] and inside [where he refused to go down, broke some tackles and high-stepped over others]. How can you not love the idea of using this guy to spell Lynch? Some teams like to use change of pace backs, trading speed for power, but our approach seems unrelenting. The Seahawks used their running game to wear teams down last season, and they did so without really having anyone to effectively rotate with Lynch. You can also safely use Turbin on 3rd downs as he adds a passing threat that Lynch really doesn't.

I like Edwards' chances of making this team. He's made some big catches when given the chance to do so [and almost pulled in a great one-handed catch on a deep ball along the sidelines], and take a look at what he does on Turbin's TD run. He seals off the CB on the outside, allowing Turbin to get into the endzone at the end of his run. I hadn't expected Edwards to be much other than a potential big play guy, but it looks like he's with the program and willing to use his size to block downfield. That's huge.

As for T.O.? He had two more drops, but he made a play on a deep pass that only a handful of WR can make. How do you streak downfield, keeping your eye on the ball as you fall backwards? For all his faults, I still maintain Owens makes this roster because no one else on the roster can make that play. And because keeping Terrell Owens is also SUCH a Pete Carroll thing to do, isn't it? We're not supposed to keep Owens, ergo we will keep him.

The pass rush also looked much improved tonight. Irvin's not there but he's getting closer; Scruggs looks like a nice find in the 7th round [and every thing I read about him makes me like him more...guy has a great attitude]. Law came up with a delightful strip-sack that shows everything you want out of a defensive end. As roles become clearer and the blitz/stunt packages start to be utilized, I think we'll see a demonstrable improvement out of last season.

My level of excitement is getting out of control. Every facet of the game tonight, from the pass rush, passing game, rushing attack, special teams, pass defense...everything looks better than the week before, right? I don't see an area of play so far where I think the team is worse off than it was the season before.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Bulltalk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:43 am

I didn't even touch the defense. There was too much good, and potential to be better about it that I didn't know where to begin. :lol: We're pretty damn deep on the defensive line now, all things considered. And Irvin was much more effective this week than the last two weeks. I saw them *stunt* him a few times, have him move laterally on the snap and take a more inside rush tact. It was nice to see him utilized a different way those times. Keep the opposing OL wondering.

Give me some Turbin. I love this guy. The thought of keeping the beast fresh and hungry seems tantalizing to me.

Great catch by TO. I wonder if it's too-little-too-late, or not? The only thing that might go against your speculation about keeping both Edwards and TO is the idea that the 4th, 5th, and 6th receivers are oftentimes needed on special teams. I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the team, however. We'll find out soon enough. Edwards definitely seems a keeper. Oh, and Winslow could prove to be quite an interesting addition as well.

And then there's PC, the Tony Robbins of coaches. He is fun to watch. This is a big legacy year for him. For my sake, I hope his style well succeeds this year.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
buckybadgerfan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#15 » by buckybadgerfan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:34 am

Hey Congrats again to Russ and all Seahawks fans. Great show tonight.
To those who still claim it's a "small size sampling" and yet think Flynn has had so much more experience with his two starts, LOL. Flynn had better timing with our Packer's wideouts and more familiarity with our system. Don't know if he could build that same chemistry with players as quickly as RW did there in Seattle but hey RW3 is the exception. What people don't realize is that RW is very prepared and sees the field well. He has quickness but what many don't realize is that it's his quick release and arm strength that allows him to make many great plays.
Some say he's like Fran Tarkington. IMO, Russell Wilson has the poise, pocket presence and playmaking ability of a young Brett Favre with the running ability of Vick. Like those guys he's tough as nails and a leader to boot. And I wouldn't worry about durability. His college career saw him get plastered many times behind inferior offensive lines and yet the guy just keeps getting up to move the chains.
buckybadgerfan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by buckybadgerfan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 am

by the way... I like the white on gray unis.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Bulltalk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:07 am

buckybadgerfan wrote:Hey Congrats again to Russ and all Seahawks fans. Great show tonight.
To those who still claim it's a "small size sampling" and yet think Flynn has had so much more experience with his two starts, LOL. Flynn had better timing with our Packer's wideouts and more familiarity with our system. Don't know if he could build that same chemistry with players as quickly as RW did there in Seattle but hey RW3 is the exception. What people don't realize is that RW is very prepared and sees the field well. He has quickness but what many don't realize is that it's his quick release and arm strength that allows him to make many great plays.
Some say he's like Fran Tarkington. IMO, Russell Wilson has the poise, pocket presence and playmaking ability of a young Brett Favre with the running ability of Vick. Like those guys he's tough as nails and a leader to boot. And I wouldn't worry about durability. His college career saw him get plastered many times behind inferior offensive lines and yet the guy just keeps getting up to move the chains.

My thoughts about RW are a work in progress. I can't remember seeing him play at all in college (didn't watch the Rose Bowl last year). I'm just going with what I'm seeing, and I keep liking what I'm seeing. I want more of it. I'm digging on RW.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#18 » by wiff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 pm

I watched the 1st half last night then hung out with a friend from out of town.

Obviously Wilson stole the show again. I think it's safe to say that he's the best QB on the roster. If he doesn't get the start against AZ it'll be a crime. And for once I'll actually have faith in the Hawks back up if Russ get's dinged up at some point this season. I can't remember the last time I have actually felt this way.

The Hawks "D" played really well, Cassel couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. Funny thing is that the Chief's have kind of been a sexy pick this year. The Hawks made them look horrible last night. Well at least during the 1st half when I watched and by the looks of it, the second half wasn't much better for them.

I agree that the one, two punch of Lynch and Turbin should be punishing for the opposing teams. I'm still scratching my head thinking are the hawks actually going to have a good running game and a good passing game? Shocking!

I haven't been this excited for the Hawks in freakin years.

If the Hawks can avoid the injury bug fairly well I can actually see them winning 10 games for the wild card.

Go Hawks!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Great catch by TO. I wonder if it's too-little-too-late, or not?

Looks like it was. Per T.O.'s twitter account, he's been notified of his release.

I've never been a fan of T.O., but given his pedigree and how much people trash him I was hoping he could make the roster and be a contributor. I think he'll latch on somewhere else.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Also, sounds like we've traded Tarvaris Jackson to the Buffalo Bills. That makes some sense for both teams; Tarvaris had no role here, and the Bills couldn't have been pleased with the performances of Tyler Thigpen and Vince Young.

Return to Seattle Seahawks