Game 3: Seahawks vs Packers mnf

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Game 3: Seahawks vs Packers mnf 

Post#61 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 am

I don't think it makes up for theSuper Bowl since, you know, we didn't get a ring and a victory parade for this one. But I get the idea. How about we all agree this makes up for the old Vinny Testaverde head TD from way back when?

The game was poorly refereed for both sides. We just happened to be on the winning side. For once.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#62 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 am

Sweezo wrote:I don't think it makes up for theSuper Bowl since, you know, we didn't get a ring and a victory parade for this one. But I get the idea. How about we all agree this makes up for the old Vinny Testaverde head TD from way back when?

The game was poorly refereed for both sides. We just happened to be on the winning side. For once.

That's true about the Super Bowl. It just felt like that tonight. At least a little bit.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 am

Now that post-game emotions have cooled...

Holy ****, we are 2-1 with wins over the Cowboys and Packers! The defense looks stellar. The run game looks good. I don't know what to make of the passing game. Is Wilson acting indecisive? Are the WR/TE failing to run the right routes or get separation downfield? Is the playcalling just poor? I really don't know, but whatever is it needs to get better soon if we're going to have a legitimate shot at contending.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am

Sweezo wrote:Now that post-game emotions have cooled...

Holy ****, we are 2-1 with wins over the Cowboys and Packers! The defense looks stellar. The run game looks good. I don't know what to make of the passing game. Is Wilson acting indecisive? Are the WR/TE failing to run the right routes or get separation downfield? Is the playcalling just poor? I really don't know, but whatever is it needs to get better soon if we're going to have a legitimate shot at contending.

It's really hard to say until we start passing on first and second down more. At some point we're going to have to take the training wheels off Russell a bit more. We're passing almost entirely in passing situations now. Our D is just playing so dominantly now (especially with the pass rush tonight...I was salivating in the first half LOL) that it really hasn't made a difference yet.

We just have to wait and see if they open the passing game some more as the season progresses. I just don't think we can make any proper judgments about it as of yet.

Agree?

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 am

Bulltalk wrote:
It's really hard to say until we start passing on first and second down more. At some point we're going to have to take the training wheels off Russell a bit more. We're passing almost entirely in passing situations now. Our D is just playing so dominantly now (especially with the pass rush tonight...I was salivating in the first half LOL) that it really hasn't made a difference yet.

We just have to wait and see if they open the passing game some more as the season progresses. I just don't think we can make any proper judgments about it as of yet.

Agree?

Agreed. Especially with regards to the first part. Bevell loves the 'run, run, pass' style of playcalling. I don't expect any QB, rookie or veteran, to constantly step up on 3rd and long and make something happen on an obvious passing down with pressure coming.

BTW speaking of play-calling...that option play? WHAT THE HELL? Don't get cute...we succeed with a power running game, so use the power running game.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 am

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:

Agree?

Agreed. Especially with regards to the first part. Bevell loves the 'run, run, pass' style of playcalling. I don't expect any QB, rookie or veteran, to constantly step up on 3rd and long and make something happen on an obvious passing down with pressure coming.

BTW speaking of play-calling...that option play? WHAT THE HELL? Don't get cute...we succeed with a power running game, so use the power running game.

The neighbors could probably hear me shriek when that play that was called unfolded. :lol: Just hand him the effing ball for Christ's sake!

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am

PS> I'll be interested to hear Mitch-in-the-morning basking in the afterglow of our pass rush tonight. If you follow his show at all, you know what I mean. :lol:

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#68 » by bennith13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 am

Sweezo wrote:I don't think it makes up for theSuper Bowl since, you know, we didn't get a ring and a victory parade for this one. But I get the idea. How about we all agree this makes up for the old Vinny Testaverde head TD from way back when?

I agree with all of that. I just do not feel bad about winning. The refs were terrible for both teams. I thought they were holding us on our pass rush TD drive greenbay had. Not to mention that phantom PI call that kept their drive alive.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#69 » by TTown » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm

i actually liked the option call.......... had it been called on a different down. that was a rough time to bust out something creative.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm

So many things have come out since the game...good points from Twitter, etc. that are certainly worth bringing up here...

[1] Many of the Packers players have really let loose on the NFL and the officials, especially the offensive linemen. The LINEMEN? You give up 8-9 sacks and feel you were let down?

[2] This shows why everyone why you knock the ball down on the last play of the game. If Jennings knocks the ball down, there's no controversy.

[3] As much as Brandon Browner frustrates me with his penalties, he is just a beast. He just blew up a running play [almost for a safety] when the Packers looked poised to run out the clock. He bullied Greg Jennings constantly, and when Jennings got fed up and charge at Browner...Browner picked hip up and suplexed him. And then Jennings offered up a weak punch to the face, and both men were flagged.

Browner's response? He got up and flexed.

Jennings' response? He got up, yelling, and was visibly frustrated on the sidelines.

The Seahawks defensive backfield as a whole did a great job containing the Packers' main weapons.

[4] The only question I have with our starting/primary DB rotation right now is Trufant. I'd seen people point out elsewhere that Trufant seemed to be caught trailing his man on several completions so far this season, and I think the same thing happened last night on the play that was a TD [but was spotted at the 1.5 yard line after review]. Maxwell and WTIII need to get healthy because I think Tru's lost a step.

[5] For once, I think our coaching staff was 'out-adjusted' in the second half. The Packers immediately came out running in the ball in the second half, especially on stretch runs to get away from the middle of our run defense, and it was fairly effective. I feel like we used the bandit package to great effective in the first half, but overused it in the second half as the Packers worked on their ground game.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Bulltalk wrote:PS> I'll be interested to hear Mitch-in-the-morning basking in the afterglow of our pass rush tonight. If you follow his show at all, you know what I mean. :lol:

I only caught part of it...all I heard was a lot of focus on the QB situation, which I agree is a concern at the moment but I still don't enjoy hearing non-stop complaingin about it on the radio if that makes sense. It may be the QB, the play-calling, the WR...no one seems to know. The coaching staff probably has an idea so they'll have to sort it out.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#72 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm

About the Superbowl loss to be fair I do remember reading a fair number of columns from national media that criticized the officiating of that game
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#73 » by Danny Darko » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm

I agree this was our first really bad D adjustment at half. We should have stuck to our guns instead of trying to get fancy.

Penalties are our biggest enemy... wth Okung?

Why no Turbin, as well?
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:About the Superbowl loss to be fair I do remember reading a fair number of columns from national media that criticized the officiating of that game

There's a little difference between some criticism here and there and outrage. 8-)

As for the game last night, there's hardly a mention of the horrible calls made against the Seahawks on the Packers' touchdown drive. Without those bad calls, that last play at the end of the game never happens, it never gets to that point.

The bad officiating was throughout the game, on both sides. The focus is all on the one last play. I can understand why from a certain standpoint; but when you stop and think about the game as a whole, the officiating during it, not just the last play, it puts it all in better perspective.

If the Packers win the game, was there going to be any great outrage about the bad officiating that cost the Seahawks the game?

I think not. Or at least barely a blip from the national media in comparison. That's why I don't give a crap about the poor Green Bay Packers. Game over. We won. And hopefully this officiating thing gets worked out soon for all involved.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
If the Packers win the game, was there going to be any great outrage about the bad officiating that cost the Seahawks the game?

I think not. Or at least barely a blip from the national media in comparison. That's why I don't give a crap about the poor Green Bay Packers. Game over. We won. And hopefully this officiating thing gets worked out soon for all involved.

After seeing the coverage of the situation, the reaction of a healthy portion of the Packers fanbase, and the reaction of a healthy portion of the Packers themselves...I don't really feel so bad about this now. The unstemmed flow of vitriol directed at the Seahawks franchise, their players, and their fans is out of control.

I admire guys like Golden Tate who've had a stream of insults directed at them that are completely over the line, and are able to basically shrug it off.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Bulltalk » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:21 am

Sweezo wrote:
After seeing the coverage of the situation, the reaction of a healthy portion of the Packers fanbase, and the reaction of a healthy portion of the Packers themselves...I don't really feel so bad about this now. The unstemmed flow of vitriol directed at the Seahawks franchise, their players, and their fans is out of control.

I admire guys like Golden Tate who've had a stream of insults directed at them that are completely over the line, and are able to basically shrug it off.

What do you expect out of those from "Entitled Town". Our defense beat them senseless. This was the football gods telling them they didn't deserve to win just because we had a rookie QB trying to beat a title contending team.

I actually think this is going to inspire and motivate OUR TEAM more, that us vs. them mentality that this is creating.

I'd play them again tomorrow at home, and I think we'd beat them more convincingly. This beating them was no fluke. Had we but a little more from a weak passing game, we would have dominated them.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Sweezo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:13 am

My goodness...did anyone see the interview Pete did on the NFL Network? The "reporter" more or less asked Pete if he felt he had a responsibility to let the league know he didn't think it was a catch.

This is a watershed moment, folks...the first time a mistake by the refs may have cost a team again. This is uncharted territory! What do we do!

I don't recall anyone ever asking the Patriots if they felt the need to apologize at the 'tuck rule' game. Or whether the Steelers felt the need to apologize about their Super Bowl victory. Why is it so different when a break goes the Seahawks way?

Holy **** do I hope we come out and beat the Rams senseless.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Bulltalk » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 am

I liked Richard Sherman's tweet towards the Packers...

"...hey maybe u should worry about how to keep your qb from getting sacked 8 times in a half instead of worrying about the refs!"

lol

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#79 » by wiff » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 am

Sweezo wrote:I don't think it makes up for theSuper Bowl since, you know, we didn't get a ring and a victory parade for this one. But I get the idea.

Hey guys, I haven't been around the computer the last couple games but I have been watching them. I couldn't agree more with you Sweezo but I do think this game might make up for this game Dec 6th 1998.

This bad call that was on the last play of the season and dropped the Hawks to 7-9 and bounced the Hawks out of the playoffs and Dennis Erickson lost his job all because the refs claimed that Vinny Testaverde had scored a touchdown.

So depending how this season shapes up i can see it making up for the bad Jets call but Superbowl....mmmmm not so much.

That being said go Hawks bring on the lambs! And damn how good did the "D" look against the Pack! Now if Wilson can find a decent comfort zone they should keep on rolling. Funny how that loss to Arizona looks a lot better after week 3 then it did after week 1.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

wiff wrote:
This bad call that was on the last play of the season and dropped the Hawks to 7-9 and bounced the Hawks out of the playoffs and Dennis Erickson lost his job all because the refs claimed that Vinny Testaverde had scored a touchdown.

THIS I agree with. [Although in hindsight seeing Erickson get sacked and Holmgren come in wasn't all bad ;) ]

Return to Seattle Seahawks