Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Game 1: Seahawks at Panthers 

Post#1 » by Danny Darko » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:13 pm

VS.

Season Opener!

Weird... because people are saying we could/should win a SuperBowl. We have our QB, we have depth and we are the champions of Preseason! Carolina has improved it's receiving options for Cam Newton and can be dangerous at home. Another concern: Seahawk injuries and suspensions affecting the D line and pass rush. They will need guys like Mayowa to continue their surprising play to limit Cam's time to make decisions or let guys like Ted Ginn and Steve Smith get down field with their speed.

Injury update:

Seahawks-

Out
DE Chris Clemons
OT Michael Bowie
DT Jordon Hill

Questionable
CB Brandon Browner (hamstring)

Probable
DT Tony McDaniel (groin)
DT Brandon Mebane (groin)
WR Sidney Rice (knee)
WR Stephen Williams (head)

Panthers

Doubtful
S Mike Mitchell (calf)

Questionable
WR Domenik Hixon (hamstring)
OG Amini Silatolu (hamstring)
DT Dwan Edwards (thigh)

Things to Watch:

1. Penalties
It's early in the season, we have been terrible about penalties and that spells danger.

2. Pass Rush
Why are we still saying this after getting multiple DE's and drafting Irvin? Injuries and suspension is the answer, but I think there is some chance O'Brien Schofield and Vincent Mayowa surprise some people.

3. Lynch vs the no leading with the helmet rules. Hopefully this is a non issue for the most physical runner in the league.

4. Backup RBs
Turbin clearly has the job for now, but Michael has the magic. I hope to see good things from both players.

5. Tate
No Harvin? Golden needs to be the player he started to be last year and keeps the chains lively with strong hands and quick feet.

Predictions-
Seattle 24 Panthers 14
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Game 1: Seahawks at Panthers 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 5:03 pm

Avril and Browner are both out, so Schofield and WTIII will get a lot of time today. I'm equally nervous and excited...it's time to get this season of destiny started off right.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 8, 2013 5:04 pm

And the Seahawks kick it off to begin the season. Go defense
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#4 » by Danny Darko » Sun Sep 8, 2013 5:27 pm

really would like us to go to the ground and stay there for a while. RW isn't looking sharp and has very little time to operate.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#5 » by TTown » Sun Sep 8, 2013 5:59 pm

clemons and irvin and avril are a lot of pieces to be missing. pass rush is non-existent.

the talking heads have a huge man crush on cam newton.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 6:19 pm

What a horrible first half of football for the Seahawks. No pass rush, no holes for the RBs, poor pass protection, and RW's holding on to the ball too long.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Sun Sep 8, 2013 6:40 pm

ok tough game... now and still time to get after the run and stay there
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:04 pm

I think part of the problem is that Wilson is not rushing the ball himself on occasion. When he runs with the ball it is backwards not forwards which is making him and the Seahawks easier to defend.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:15 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:I think part of the problem is that Wilson is not rushing the ball himself on occasion. When he runs with the ball it is backwards not forwards which is making him and the Seahawks easier to defend.

I want him to step up in the pocket, and I'd like more designed rollouts. Last year we used some read option and screen passes to help deal with the opposing pass rush, but we really haven't this year.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:25 pm

TOUCHDOWN KEARSE!!!!! What a fantastic grab!
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#11 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:31 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:I think part of the problem is that Wilson is not rushing the ball himself on occasion. When he runs with the ball it is backwards not forwards which is making him and the Seahawks easier to defend.

I want him to step up in the pocket, and I'd like more designed rollouts. Last year we used some read option and screen passes to help deal with the opposing pass rush, but we really haven't this year.

The offense today reminds me of the offense early last season. Very risk averse. I think we both agree the offense must be opened up more like it was late last season
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:37 pm

Bad time to have consecutive personal fouls and give up running yards up the middle.

FUMBLE!!!
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#13 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 8, 2013 7:52 pm

Well it was a win. Not a pretty win but a win
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Sun Sep 8, 2013 8:06 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:Well it was a win. Not a pretty win but a win

I'll take it. Carolina might have the toughest defensive line we'll play all year. They controlled the line of scrimmage but we still managed to hang on for the win.

Great job by our defense, essentially shutting down Cam Newton in spite of a ton of injuries and a sputtering pass rush.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#15 » by TTown » Mon Sep 9, 2013 2:34 am

spot on. if the defense only gives up 7 despite offering very little by way of pressure, that bodes well once we get some of these guys coming back.

i don't want to get russell killed out there or anything, but i would like to take advantage of his feet a bit more. seems like a weapon we ignored for most of the game, on an afternoon where they completely took away marshawn lynch and we could have used a boost.

the penalties drove me mad, but it's something i just need to accept given that i root for a pete carroll-coached team.

also, no browner today. WT3 did well.

we got a road win against a team that might very well finish .500 or better. kind of a frustrating game to watch, but obviously i'm happy with the end result. i want homefield this year.
ImageImageImageImage
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#16 » by Danny Darko » Mon Sep 9, 2013 7:11 pm

Post game thoughts:

1. Offensive Line- it's early in the season and the Panthers have a good D-Line, but obviously they cannot let RW get hit that much. Penalty-wise I thought they did ok, but the run game lacked punch and the protection was below the standard we need.

2. Running game- I noticed Lynch was back to dancing too much before hitting the hole. I do wonder if this isn't just early rust and also more concerning would be the Robinson affect. This could be a a combination of him not being their to lead the way and not being there to say "Marshawn stop dancing and hit the hole".

Our backs caught the ball well, but honestly I wished we would have gone to the ground game alot more and tried to establish that dominance. Also, would have loved for C-Mike to get a carry or two for the home run threat.

3. Receivers- Not much I could say that wasn't already obvious other than how glad I am that Baldwin looks like the man again, Tate is ready this season, Kearse looks legit, Rice doesn't look dominant anymore, and Coleman is actually a nice option coming out of the backfield. Wilson and Miller did their job.

4. D-Line- considering the injuries I was fairly pleased, but the lack of pressure when only rushing 4 isn't something we can get away with time and time again. I hope Jordan gets back healthy soon and provides a bit of interior pass rush.

4. Secondary- Wish Sherm had gotten that gimme int. Let's hope Thurmond stays health. What a luxury in terms of depth and at nickel would be perfect. I did think we missed Browner's ability to straight up piss off WR's. Smith would have been a little less affective with Browner knocking the snot out of him imo.

5. Special Teams- Hauscha really has improved his power. Loved the kickbacks and laser FG. Containment was also pretty good, which is why Farwell earns his money.

6. Russ- he was worrying me early and in fairness he did seem to take some risks. He also got banged around and hung in there. Really glad we have this guy... waiting for mid season form, though.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 am

My take on this game in terms of how it "felt?" RW had one of his lesser games, Newton was good, and we stopped the Panthers running game. In reality, RW passed for 300 yards for the first time in a regular season game, Newton was bottled up, and the Panthers averaged over 5 YPA on the ground. I don't know how to explain that...this was game that defied perception.

Danny Darko wrote:2. Running game- I noticed Lynch was back to dancing too much before hitting the hole. I do wonder if this isn't just early rust and also more concerning would be the Robinson affect. This could be a a combination of him not being their to lead the way and not being there to say "Marshawn stop dancing and hit the hole".

I'm not sure how much Mike Rob matters in the long run. If we used a fullback in 35% of offensive plays last year, and Lynch had a better YPA on runs out of single back formations, how important is the fullback? I thought Coleman looked pretty good as a blocker and pass catcher. Lynch will be fine...he just needs to have the line get him some holes.

Our offense was very "vanilla" in the first week. I think we'll see a lot more creativity in week 2.

Danny Darko wrote:3. Receivers- Not much I could say that wasn't already obvious other than how glad I am that Baldwin looks like the man again, Tate is ready this season, Kearse looks legit, Rice doesn't look dominant anymore, and Coleman is actually a nice option coming out of the backfield. Wilson and Miller did their job.

Baldwin looked incredible. Being fully healthy and having some time to practice with RW has done wonders.

Rice looked good considering he didn't practice much and played 0 snaps in the preseason. I think he'll get comfortable and begin to look a bit better. Or if he can just hold on until Harvin comes back, I think the team will be fine.

Danny Darko wrote:4. D-Line- considering the injuries I was fairly pleased, but the lack of pressure when only rushing 4 isn't something we can get away with time and time again. I hope Jordan gets back healthy soon and provides a bit of interior pass rush.

Oh, I was definitely pleased. No pass rush and we somehow still stopped the run just enough and controlled the line of scrimmage. Seriously, once Avril and Clemons come back on the line, and Irvin comes back as a LB, the pass rush will be insane. Throw Jordan Hill into that mix, too.

Danny Darko wrote:4. Secondary- Wish Sherm had gotten that gimme int. Let's hope Thurmond stays health. What a luxury in terms of depth and at nickel would be perfect. I did think we missed Browner's ability to straight up piss off WR's. Smith would have been a little less affective with Browner knocking the snot out of him imo.

It wasn't the type of game that made me feel we had to re-sign Browner though. I think Browner will be a huge asset against Boldin next week, but I wouldn't be shocked if Browner walks and the team focuses on keeping WTIII.

Danny Darko wrote:5. Special Teams- Hauscha really has improved his power. Loved the kickbacks and laser FG. Containment was also pretty good, which is why Farwell earns his money.

Don't forget Ryan. That punt out of the back of his own end zone was amazing. He kicked the ball nearly 70 yards and didn't outkick his coverage.

Danny Darko wrote:6. Russ- he was worrying me early and in fairness he did seem to take some risks. He also got banged around and hung in there. Really glad we have this guy... waiting for mid season form, though.

How amazing it is that, in a bad game, the put up 300 yards and leading a game winning drive late? Compare this game to our first game against Arizona on the road last year and the loss on the road to the Dolphins. This game very easily could have suffered the same fate, but RW's experience last season was huge. He put it all together when it mattered.

I'm so excited for next week's game against SF. The Niners looked pretty good against the Packers, but our secondary puts the Packers' secondary to shame. Boldin won't do to us what he did to Green Bay. I imagine our defensive strategy will be similar to Green Bay's [stop the run, make Kaep beat you with his arm] but we have the secondary to pull it off.

Return to Seattle Seahawks