And1: 5,390

Game 16: Seattle vs St Louis 

Post#1 » by Danny Darko » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 am

VS.

1 Big Game for the Division

Injury update:

Seahawks-

Out: LB K.J. Wright (foot)

Did Not Participate: WR Percy Harvin (hip), WR Jermaine Kearse (ankle), DE Red Bryant (knee)

Lambs

Out:
Chris Long
Tavon Austin

Danny's .02:

1. Rubber Russ.
I very much doubt Russell is stymied two weeks in a row. Look for the bounce back.

2. re-Thurmond
Walter is back. Should be interesting to see if he's still fluid and how many snaps he gets vs Maxwell snaps.

3. Beast mode
Pete sounds set on getting Lynch reps. Hopefully we see balance all game, but with heavy ground doses to loosen everything up.

4. Those other teams
Of course we need this one, but which grudge match might we get out of SF vs Arizona?

Predictions-
Rams 0 Seattle 17
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Re: Game 16: Seattle vs St Louis 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 pm

While the defense has been great the last few weeks the offense has been mediocre at best. The team must use this game to get the offense back in synch
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm

First possession was not good. Offense looked confused
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Malcom Smith the with the pick 6 to give the Seahawks the lead
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#5 » by Sweezo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 pm

YES!!! Malcolm Smith!

Brandon-Clyde wrote:First possession was not good. Offense looked confused

Russell's accuracy has been a tad off the last couple games. He seemed to find it later on in the game last week. I wonder if he's struggling since it's colder?
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Sweezo wrote:YES!!! Malcolm Smith!

Brandon-Clyde wrote:First possession was not good. Offense looked confused

Russell's accuracy has been a tad off the last couple games. He seemed to find it later on in the game last week. I wonder if he's struggling since it's colder?

It's not just Wilson. the whole offense seems off kilter. Dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, Houschka's missed fg last week, unforced turnovers(Turbin's untouched fumble on the kickoff return last week) etc..
It appears to me to be a case of the offense expecting to turn it on when needed but not really able to do so.
And as I type this another 3 and out
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:It's not just Wilson. the whole offense seems off kilter. Dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, Houschka's missed fg last week, unforced turnovers(Turbin's untouched fumble on the kickoff return last week) etc..
It appears to me to be a case of the offense expecting to turn it on when needed but not really able to do so.
And as I type this another 3 and out

Each play seems to feature one big problem. Either RW's accuracy is off, or the pass pro completely breaks down to give him no time, or the run blocking doesn't exist. There are very few plays where everyone accomplishes what they need to in order to succeed. I don't mean to blame RW...it just seems like he's not getting it done right now in those rare instances where the pass pro gives him a chance.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Sweezo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Chris Myers and Tim Ryan aspire to incompetence. And they're achieving everything they aspire to be.
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#9 » by nuke the whales » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 pm

A credible drive gets 3, another pick, the offense needs to capitalize and... a dropped pass and a 3 and out.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Wow...Langford imploded. Flags everywhere!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Sweezo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 pm

This is the best division in football. There's not one opponent in this division that you can take lightly. With the slew of picks the Rams have next year, I could see any of the four teams winning the division next year and expect 3 teams from the division to make the playoffs.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#12 » by TTown » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 am

crazy seeing the nfc west so formidable after what we all witnessed in the 2000s. hell, 2010 and our 7-9 championship team wasn't too long ago...

alright, sports fans. 2005 vs. 2013. i want to hear your comparisons/thoughts. not necessarily who will win, but your thoughts on each team, and where they stack up in seattle lore.
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#13 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:36 pm

It seems like just about everything boils down to two things going forward into the playoffs in terms of getting our Super Bowl. Our passing game, and cutting back on stupid, momentum-killing penalties on both sides of the ball. Our defense is probably the best in the league, easily top three. Our special teams are near the top of the league all around, with kickoff returns being our weakest element at present. Our running game is also near the top of the league, and Marshawn Lynch is running as good as ever now, though RW has had fewer opportunities to make hay in the past few weeks.

It seems that teams are crowding the box/line against us now, concentrating on not letting us get much yardage on first or second down with the run, making us beat them with the pass. Teams of late are also being more effective in containing RW in the pocket, not letting him pick up yardage on the run, or making something happen by extending the play. These are fairly recent developments. I must admit that Percy Harvin's absence has been more painfully present the last month or so in this regard.

I don't quite know what to make of it. It seemed just a little over a month ago that I was pretty confident in our offense picking up 3rd down conversions, as long as they weren't long conversions. Now I'm a little wary of that. I'm also becoming a bit disconcerted by our red-zone offense in recent weeks. We're kicking too many field goals, not getting into the endzone enough.

I still think we're the team to beat in the playoffs, especially with our home field advantage. I've just become increasingly uneasy that our margin for error has narrowed in the last month.

We've got to get a better short-passing-game rhythm going again. We need this to open up the running game more, shorten up 2nd and 3rd conversion situations, get defenses a little more off-balance in their defense of us. I sometimes wonder if when RW is contained in the pocket more if his height becomes more of a problem in the short passing game? Are those quick-slant routes over the middle harder for him to see and convert?

I admit to dreaming about Percy Harvin now a bit too much. Those quick-outs/bubble screens to him, reverses, even using him in the backfield, his mere presence on the field opening things up more for us on offense, always giving the defense more to think about than they want to.

That's kind of my take right now.

And please cease with the stupid penalties, as well as cut down on most of the "I'm the man" stuff. It's playoff time. Keep your eyes on the prize now. Please.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by TTown » Sun Jan 5, 2014 4:24 am

saints beat the eagles. saints coming our way next weekend!
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#15 » by Bulltalk » Sun Jan 5, 2014 5:05 am

The Saints might come marching in, but they're going to be crawling out.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by TTown » Sun Jan 5, 2014 6:32 pm

had the eagles won, a niner/seahawk game in the divisional round would have seemed almost anti-climatic. glad these two will (likely) meet in the nfc title game. despite records, the two best teams in the nfc this year were both in the west...

i also don't mind that the niners have to play in inhumane conditions today, then have to play a super physical game at carolina next week while we've got the saints.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 8, 2014 11:08 pm

TTown wrote:had the eagles won, a niner/seahawk game in the divisional round would have seemed almost anti-climatic. glad these two will (likely) meet in the nfc title game. despite records, the two best teams in the nfc this year were both in the west...

i also don't mind that the niners have to play in inhumane conditions today, then have to play a super physical game at carolina next week while we've got the saints.

I still rooted passionately for the Niners to lose that game. I want the Seahawks to be the team that beats them and sends them home for the year, but...oh, how glorious it would have been if the Packers bounced them in the 1st round.

Bulltalk wrote:The Saints might come marching in, but they're going to be crawling out.

How scared are we of the Saints? And how scared should we be? I'm really not worried about losing this week. While I feel like I'm selling them short, and they'll make adjustments based on the last game, I think their strength is negated or minimized by our strength. Their defense is decent but still a welcome reprieve from the defenses we've faced recently [SF/ARI/STL]. About the one thing I think they could do to try and make life miserable for us is just keep hitting Sproles and Graham in the short game. Our LB corps is good but our secondary is better, and the line's been very good against the run.

Return to Seattle Seahawks