Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Stein: Kaman Available for the "Right" SF 

Post#1 » by loflin3hree5ive » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 pm

STEIN_LINE_HQ http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Another rumble from Showcase: Sensing optimism among rival teams for first time that rise of DeAndre Jordan will lead Clips to shop Kaman 3:14 PM Jan 13th via ÜberTwitter

Follow to earlier tweet: Told again Clips open to moving Kaman but only IF they can upgrade w/right 3-man. More on way in Weekend Dime about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

It looks like we now know what Olshey is looking for in return for Kaman. I'm thinking Jeff Green and Morris Peterson' expiring contracts may be a nice fit for both teams. It also doesn't sound like the Clippers will juts give Kaman away either.
Leor_77
Analyst
And1: 533

Re: Stein: Kaman Available for the "Right" SF 

Post#2 » by Leor_77 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 pm

No doubt that Kaman is "trade-able," however I hope that we don't end up getting little value from him. There are very few skilled centers in the league, and they are all in high demand. His current injury shouldn't deter other teams, as it's not something that will likely linger throughout his career.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#3 » by mkwest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm glad he doesn't want to just give him away either. Green could work, but I don't know how much I like the idea of us having to deal with a lockout and negotiating with at least 3 players this offseason (DJ & Green are RFA's and Gordon should be extended).

I love the avy btw :wink:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,602

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:42 am

A trade built around Jeff Green makes sense for OKC, I think the Thunder would be improved with more size but still keep their big 2.

Green is okay but not great, his shooting has been off this year. If he was a good defender that would be much better, but I don't know if he is or not. So then you wonder if how much of an upgrade he is, compared to what we lose. IIRC correctly he looked good during their playoff run last year.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#5 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 am

loflin3hree5ive wrote:
It looks like we now know what Olshey is looking for in return for Kaman. I'm thinking Jeff Green and Morris Peterson' expiring contracts may be a nice fit for both teams. It also doesn't sound like the Clippers will juts give Kaman away either.

I would really like Jeff Green on the Clippers, but I'm not sure that a SF is really what we're looking for.
Aminu has shown some promise and trading for a guy at his positon would mean he'd be a backup for pretty much his whole rookie contract.

And yeah, the Clips won't just give Kaman away(for say someone like Prince, who could walk away at the end of the year), because bigs are coveted around the league and they're not dying to save some money on his contract.

BTW: I'd rather trade for Krstic(could be a solid back up big for us) or even Nick Collison(who I really like), instead of trading for Mo Pete, who's done.

madmaxmedia wrote:A trade built around Jeff Green makes sense for OKC, I think the Thunder would be improved with more size but still keep their big 2.

Green is okay but not great, his shooting has been off this year. If he was a good defender that would be much better, but I don't know if he is or not. So then you wonder if how much of an upgrade he is, compared to what we lose. IIRC correctly he looked good during their playoff run last year.

Trust me, Gree is indeed a good defender.
He can play both forward spots, but is better used at the sf spot(not possible with Durant around) and can defend the sf spot pretty well.
He's also pretty versatile as he can either post up, shoot it from deep or create for others.

Still, having two guys that will need to be re-signed and another one waiting for an extansion isn't the greatest thing for Clippers fans, as we do remember that good D-Miles, Q-Rich, Odom etc. team, that played very well, but fell apart, thanks to the Clips not re-signing them and having nearly everyone on one year contracts.

BTW: If we do trade for "the right small forward" then it should be pretty clear that Gomes would have to be on his way out as well.

So here are some ideas:

OKC:
Kaman, Gomes for Krstic, Peterson, Green
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812136

or

Kaman, Gomes for Krstic, Green, Cook, Aldrich
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812143

or

Kaman, Gomes, Foye for Collison, Green, Cook
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812134

PHI:
Kaman, Gomes for Igoudala, Hawes
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812137

CHA:
Kaman, Gomes for Wallace, Mohammed
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812139

Though, Green would make the most sense for us, as he's the right package with his defense and ability to hit the outside jumper.
connseanery
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#6 » by connseanery » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 pm

They need to trade Kaman and some scrub like Butler to the Knicks for Gallinari, Mozgov, and the expiring Curry contract.

Gallinari can start at SF and help keep the double and triple teams off blake with his 3pt shooting.

Mozgov can be used as a prop for Griffin to practice his all-star game dunks.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#7 » by MaceCase » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Iguodala could be a possibility given the Sixers lack of size and young and cheaper depth on the wings with Louise Will, Jrue, Turner and Young. Be nice for Elton to reunite with his old frontcourt mate too. The move would tank cap flexibility for the foreseeable future and Iggy won't help spread the floor with the starters though. Gerald Wallace is also available but I believe that Charlotte's idea to move him deals more with getting cap savings in return. Granger may be similarly available but doubtful that Indiana sees Kaman as the best deal with Hibbert already there. If Melo officially gets out of the picture then Kaman may be a possibility for NY considering their thirst for size. He may not be a perfect fit for D'antoni's uptempo system but he rebounds and can shoot, he also preserves their capspace by expiring in the same summer Chris Paul may be available. Another RFA like Green in Wilson Chandler and maybe either of Anthony Randolph or Bill Walker could be added to Eddy Curry in return. Plenty of possibilities out there depending on what Olshey is looking for.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
#1 pick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by #1 pick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Philly not trading Hawes but Iggy a possibility. I don't know about OKC trading Green but we will see.
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 226

Post#9 » by myrak433 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 pm

How about Marvin Williams and ZaZa for Kaman?
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#10 » by The J Rocka » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Question, what is the "right" SF you are looking for? A decent backup to AFA or somebody better than him (for now) to start for your team?
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#11 » by mj_shoefanatic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Where's the Granger trade scenario?
:nonono:
#1 pick
Banned User

Post#12 » by #1 pick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 pm

mj_shoefanatic wrote:Where's the Granger trade scenario?
:nonono:

Why would Indy do that?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#13 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Det the Threat wrote:CHA:
Kaman, Gomes for Wallace, Mohammed
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=5812139

I'd be happy with Wallace for Kaman straight up.

I might even be happy with Wallace and Nazr for Kaman and Smith.

But I wouldn't be so hot on Wallace and Nazr and Kamn and Gomes.

The Gomes contract is kind of stinky!!
B B M F 'ers
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 pm

myrak433 wrote:How about Marvin Williams and ZaZa for Kaman?

How's 12 point, 5 rebound Marvin Williams an upgrade over Ryan Gomes?
Especially if you're taking his contract into account.

Sorry, but the Hawks aren't a good trading partner as they can't offer an upgrade at small forward.

J_Era_3 wrote:Question, what is the "right" SF you are looking for? A decent backup to AFA or somebody better than him (for now) to start for your team?

Clippers are said to be interested in an upgrade at the small forward spot, as Marc Stein puts it.

So it would have to be someone better then Gomes and good enough to justify taking away minutes from Aminu.

BigSlam wrote:I'd be happy with Wallace for Kaman straight up.

I might even be happy with Wallace and Nazr for Kaman and Smith.

But I wouldn't be so hot on Wallace and Nazr and Kamn and Gomes.

The Gomes contract is kind of stinky!!

If we're trading Kaman for a small forward we need to trade Gomes, as he'd be at the end of the bench making $4 mil a year, cause Aminu will receive playing time as well.

I also don't know how Gomes contract should be "kind of stinky", as he's a solid small forward, who defends, hits some open shots and will be able to play some power forward as well for $4 mil a year till 2013.
That's a solid backup or even starter, if you'd like to keep Jackson at shooting guard.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#15 » by Hoopz Afrik » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 pm

what would be your ideal trade given the circumstance? I personally don't think yall could go wrong with any of Iguodala, Wallace, or Tayshaun Prince.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:what would be your ideal trade given the circumstance? I personally don't think yall could go wrong with any of Iguodala, Wallace, or Tayshaun Prince.

Wallace can't shoot(something we'd need at sf, next to Griffin and Gordon, with Baron around as well) and has some injury problems as well as Kaman.
Prince is someone folks bring up all the time, but to mee he does not fit because of his age and the fact that he's an expiring contract, which means he could leave or we could just sign him this summer, without giving Kaman away.

Igoudala is the most talented of those three, but he's got a huge contract and would make it hard for us to keep Gordon(will look for an extension this summer), Griffin(same as Gordon but just one year later) and Jordan(RFA this summer).
Still, with Baron coming off the books in 2013 we could keep all those guys, but would have to really get lucky on cheap vets and guys on rookie contracts to fill the bench and be productive.
Though, out of those three I'd still go for Iggy, even with that contract.

Another guy I'd really like is Jeff Green out of OKC, who's redundant with Durant around, while they're looking for an upgrade at the center spot.
Though, he'll be a RFA this summer as well and certainly would command something about $8 - $10 mil a year, to be re-signed.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#17 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Det the Threat wrote:I also don't know how Gomes contract should be "kind of stinky", as he's a solid small forward, who defends, hits some open shots and will be able to play some power forward as well for $4 mil a year till 2013.
That's a solid backup or even starter, if you'd like to keep Jackson at shooting guard.

I think Coach Silas would start Gerald Henderson at shooting guard and move Jax down as our starting small forward (where he is better suited anyways).

I like Gomes, but we have a few too many $3-$5 million dollar role players on our roster as is. I don't think we need any more.
B B M F 'ers
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:42 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:I also don't know how Gomes contract should be "kind of stinky", as he's a solid small forward, who defends, hits some open shots and will be able to play some power forward as well for $4 mil a year till 2013.

I think Coach Silas would start Gerald Henderson at shooting guard and move Jax down as our starting small forward (where he is better suited anyways).

I like Gomes, but we have a few too many $3-$5 million dollar role players on our roster as is. I don't think we need any more.

Yeah, but we would need to not crowd that position, cause Aminu should still get some minutes and trading Gomes would mean saving some money for this summer, when we need to re-sign Jordan and will try to extend Gordon.

Gomes is also solid and not one of those Matt Caroll or DeSagna Diop kind of guys, which wouldn't hurt you.

Anyways, I'll be watching your game against NOH, and take a close look at Wallace.
Maybe he'll be a Clipper at some point, even though Stein seems to think we're not that interested in him.
nets4nets
Sophomore

Post#19 » by nets4nets » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:46 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To IND:
Kaman
Clippers first
rights to Minnesota's unprotected first

To LAC:
Granger
future 1st

LAC does it because they need a upgrade at the SF. Danny is a All-star talent who would benfit playing with Blake and Eric Gordon would make him more effective. Plus Blake doesnt play well with Kaman they are not a good fit. Chris requires to many touches. Unlike Deandre Jordan who is the perfect fit for Blake.

Pacers do it because we need to rebulid the right way with a young core and high draft picks. We could trade Hibbert for more assets that help our rebuliding process.

I live in Indy and am a Pacers season ticket holder. we need to rebulid the right way with youth. Are Franchise tried to skip the rebuliding process after the brawl with the Murphy Dunleavy trade which was a mistake we cant afford to keep having 35 win seasons we need to rebulid totaly. With that being said I watch every Clipper game and have for the past 3 yrs on LP they are my second favorite team(Love Eric Gordon) and Kaman needs to go and Danny would be the perfect solution to their needs at the 3.

Would u guys consdier this deal?? I think value is pretty fair this would make my Clipps deadly and my Pacers would be heading in the right direction.
jgustav1
Analyst
And1: 21

Post#20 » by jgustav1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:11 am

LAC won't include the Minny pick in a package for Granger.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers