Around the NBA

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Around the NBA 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 am

This thread is for any comments/discussions concerning the other 29 NBA teams. You can talk about games, players, trade rumors or whatever else is going on in the NBA.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#2 » by mkwest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 am

It may not mean much of anything if we don't learn how to win on the road, but Phoenix, Golden State and Portland all lost tonight. However, Memphis and Houston both won.

1.5 games behind Warriors
2.5 games behind Houston
3.0 games behind Phoenix
4.0 games behind Memphis
6.5 games behind Portland
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#3 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Here's something that I want to bring to everyone's attention. The San Antonio Spurs are 38-7 and no one is talking about them. They are 6 games ahead of the Lakers and the Celtics are the next closest team with 33-10. 38-7 is a crazy record. I would not want to play the Spurs right now and I hope we catch them at a time when they are slipping. (Not likely though)
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mkwest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:Here's something that I want to bring to everyone's attention. The San Antonio Spurs are 38-7 and no one is talking about them. They are 6 games ahead of the Lakers and the Celtics are the next closest team with 33-10. 38-7 is a crazy record. I would not want to play the Spurs right now and I hope we catch them at a time when they are slipping. (Not likely though)

Definitely the most consistent team throughout the season. It feels great to have been one of those 7 teams to give them a loss, especially considering our record against the Spurs over the years. I would love to see Timmy and the Spurs match up with the Celtics in the finals.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mkwest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 pm

What's Deron Williams thinking these days?

But is Utah as good defensively as it used to be? And does this team have the luxury of working all those new players in?

"Not really," Williams said. "My contract's up in two years. It's a now or never situation. I don't know what I'm going to do after this one."

Gulp.

Williams has not said what he will do in the summer of 2012, only that he won't have a half-hour program to announce his intentions. But he paid attention to what happened last offseason, when James, Chris Bosh and Wade teamed up and went to Miami as a package deal.

"Of course," Williams said. "You've got to. It's a different state. Guys are doing different things now. They're trying to change that with the CBA, that's for sure."

That may be Utah's biggest edge going forward. Regardless of what changes are made to the next collective bargaining agreement, it's almost a certainty that a new deal will still allow the incumbent team to pay more than other teams. It's been a hallmark of the Commish's desire to make sure that smaller markets have a chance to field competitive teams. And Williams will give the Jazz every chance to improve the roster further between now and '12.

But the clock is ticking, as of right now.

David Aldridge, NBA.com

Could Deron Williams be the next Carmelo Anthony situation?

That is not quite a Carmelo Anthony level warning, more like a pre-warning that things are headed that direction. More Chris Paul telling the Hornets to get it together or he would push his way out.

Next season Williams could do what ‘Melo has done this year — tell the Jazz that he will opt out and will not re-sign in Utah. He’ll be low key if he does, but he is too big a star for something like that to stay low key. So could Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard has an early termination option on his deal. In an era where superstars are trying to combine and work some of that out themselves, there is a lot in play.

The warning should scare Utah to its core. This is a small market franchise that does not have the money to spend to build a Lakers-like team. They couldn’t keep Carlos Boozer last summer. They lost Kyle Korver and Wes Mathews. And while the roster has been rebuilt with some decent players — Al Jefferson, rookie Gordan Haywood — they are not the same.

What may be Utah’s one ace in the hole the new Collective Bargaining Agreement — nobody knows what it will look like, but there could be things that help Utah. The money for a max deal may be so much less than the $17.8 he is scheduled to make that he decides to stay for at least another year. Maybe there are franchise tags. Maybe a lot of things.

But right now, D-Will is not thrilled with his team and that could be the first steps in a long, painful march for the Jazz and its fans.

Kurt Helin, NBC Sports

Deron, Paul and Howard have all made these kind of sentiments. Then of course there's whole Melo drama that is going on right now. Everybody's talking about Blake potentially leaving when that is 4 years away and he would have to pass up an extension and avoid restricted free-agency (taking the qualifying offer) to get to that point. These other guys will have to make a decision in the next 2 years. Do they force a trade or wait until free-agency to opt out if they aren't satisfied with the way the direction that their teams are heading?

Orlando can be a contender, but have some heavy competition in the east. I would think that Dwight would want to stay, but I think Orlando has to contend to be appeased.

Paul has been vocal, but not really in a position where he has a ton of leverage right now. Next season could be a different story as he can opt out at the end of the year.

Williams has seen his team change drastically in the last year and is probably frustrated that the team has struggled in the past few games after the hot start.

There is the threat of a lockout next season and the owners are clearly going to push for more rights to their own free-agents. If the whole season was lost, all of these guys could be exiting the lockout with new homes. There has been talk of a franchise tag similar to what the NFL has. Owners do not want to see what happened in Miami happen again. The small market teams or teams in undesirable locations have a hard enough time as it is without the threat of their star leaving to join up to form a super team elsewhere. As a Clipper fan, seeing western stars move east isn't such a bad thing for our playoff hopes. If the front office does right by our core guys, we could theoretically be in play for these disgruntled stars when the time comes.
mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#6 » by mike3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 am

I dont like all these superstars moving, i mean its exciting but i still like the stars that you think of as there franchise in a way, like ive never been a fan of kobe, but hes always stayed there. I like that, obviously cause hes had a lot of success so my point may not be relavant but still
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mkwest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 am

mike3 wrote:I dont like all these superstars moving, i mean its exciting but i still like the stars that you think of as there franchise in a way, like ive never been a fan of kobe, but hes always stayed there. I like that, obviously cause hes had a lot of success so my point may not be relavant but still

Well he did have his public tantrum. Pierce made his comments to the FO to get him some help or trade him. Both organizations eventually got their star players some talent. Orlando has tried to shuffle the deck some and are spending money. Is it enough to win a championship? I think it's close, but not enough.

New Orleans is a little confusing. They dumped players in recent years to avoid luxury and financial commitments, then they trade for long term players with sizable contracts. Right now it's working for them (9 in a row). It's not a championship team though.

Utah downgraded in talent. They did a fair job in replacing Boozer, but what about Brewer and Matthews? It could just be my perception of him, but Deron comes off kind of pouty. There's rumors that he doesn't care for Sloan too much. He has made comments in the past regarding the length of his contract, so the recent news isn't really that shocking.

I don't really like guys bailing on their teams, but it works both ways. I love seeing guys play their entire careers with one team, but guys want to play for hardware as opposed to just playing for pride. Then you have media and fans comparing players and judging their careers based on their rings, which isn't always fair. Only 8 teams have won a championship in the past 30 some-odd years (Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, Pistons, Rockets, Heat & 76ers). The odds are against winning a championship unless you have quality talent around you (multiple HOF-caliber players, multiple all-stars, etc.). Nobody wins alone, but that's how the media make it when they feel like bashing a player for not getting it done. Today's players would rather take the heat and leave to win a title then be criticized for not winning one like their predecessors (e.g. Barkley, Malone & Stockton, Ewing, Reggie, etc). Magic, Jordan and Bird didn't have to leave to play with each other, because they played with Hall-of-Famers (Kareem, Worthy, Pippen, McHale, Parish, Johnson, and so on).
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by mkwest » Tue Feb 8, 2011 4:00 am

Dallas narrowly defeats the Cavaliers 99-96 to hand the Cavs their all-time record 25th consecutive loss :( The Cavs had numerous attempts, but fumbled on getting off one last attempt by throwing an extra pass. We have these guys (Cavs) coming up on Friday. Our guys better bring it.

Also, Ray Allen aka Ray Ray aka Jesus Shuttlesworth, is only 1 3-pointer away from tying the All-Time NBA League Record for 3-pointers (2560) that is currently held by Reggie Miller. His next chance to break the record will be on Thursday against the Lakers on TNT at the Garden.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Feb 8, 2011 4:24 am

I was watching the Cavs and Mavs, I was really hoping that the Cavs would win. We actually play the Cavs on Friday, let's not be the team that loses to them .
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by mkwest » Tue Feb 8, 2011 4:35 am

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I was watching the Cavs and Mavs, I was really hoping that the Cavs would win. We actually play the Cavs on Friday, let's not be the team that loses to them .

Same here. I was rooting hard for them. We're still a team that other teams circle on the calendars as potential wins.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 am

Cavs lost again tonight, we have to beat them at all costs on Friday
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Jerry Sloan "steps down" as head coach of the Utah Jazz. There are reports that he and Deron Williams have had several blowups over the past few weaks regarding rotations and play-calling. Deron allegedly let it be known that he would only consider re-signing if Sloan was out of the picture. :nonono:

Aside from Ralph calling Clipper games, Jerry Sloan coaching the Jazz has been one of the few constants in the league since I was a kid watching NBA basketball. I couldn't even imagine the Jazz without Sloan and this is sad to see. He shouldn't be forced out by some whiny player, but allowed to bow out gracefully for what he has given of himself to that organization.

I don't know if he's going to move on to another team. He may be done as a coach, but there will be about 29 teams calling for his services if he does decide to take his coaching talents to another franchise. I know that I would love to have him. This is a black day for the NBA as far as I am concerned.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Yeah, that one is crazy. And in the middle of the season too...
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9tvpiJkBgA[/youtube]

Good to see that Fields has a good sense of humor.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 am

I didn't expect Sloan to step down, I was really surprised when I heard the news.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by mkwest » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 am

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I didn't expect Sloan to step down, I was really surprised when I heard the news.

madmaxmedia wrote:Yeah, that one is crazy. And in the middle of the season too...

That's the thing. End of the season with a proper sendoff would have been better imo. We don't know the full story yet, just the rumors. The thing is Sloan just signed an extension the other day. I don't think he was expecting to hang it up 4 days later.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by mkwest » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 am

Ray "Jesus Shuttlesworth" Allen breaks Reggie Miller's Career NBA Record of 2560 3-pointers against the Celtics arch-nemesis, the Lakers. He needed 1 to tie and 2 to break the record coming into tonight's game. He drained 3 for good measure. Reggie was on hand to call the game and watch his record change hands.

Congrats to Ray Ray for his phenomenal feat. :clap: He still has a couple more years left in him, so this record very well be over 3000 by the time he is done with it.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#18 » by Det the Threat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I didn't expect Sloan to step down, I was really surprised when I heard the news.

Yeah, to me Jerry Sloan = Utah Jazz

Got a lot of respect for him, even though I've always hated the Jazz(while routing for the Sonics) and their pick & roll, pick & roll, pick & roll, send someone to the hospital, pick & roll....kind of style...when Malone and Stockton were still playing.

BTW: Congrats to Ray on breaking Miller's record.
He very much deserves it. :clap:
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

The Lakers have agreed to a 20-year deal with Time Warner Cable to create two regional sports channels that will use the two-time reigning NBA champions as their backbone.

The agreement is a major blow to Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV, the two current rights holders for the Lakers.

Starting with the 2012-13 season, all Lakers games except for national telecasts will be available on cable only. That includes preseason, regular season and playoff games.

One of the two as-yet unnamed cable channels will be Spanish-language network.

Under its current deal with Fox Sports West, the Lakers were getting about $30 million a year in rights fees, people familiar with the situation said. Some industry observers pegged the 20-year pact at a value of $3 billion, a figure dismissed by Time Warner Cable.
Via Los Angeles Times

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1E4j0ie74

Although I'm not a Lakers fan I don't like the idea of having their games cable only. I know some teams are com Comcast Sports Net, but I just don't like the sound of this. This sounds like something the NFL would do. I'm hoping that this doesn't start a trend where more NBA teams do this.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by mkwest » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:38 am

Most teams in the NBA are only on cable now. Local stations have been phased out for the most part.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers