ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Idea Thread II

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Re: Trade Idea Thread II 

Post#861 » by Don Tommy » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:00 pm

So a friend at work (Laker fan) asked me about a trade, I punched it into the trade machine, and it actually worked. What do you guys think about this?

DJ - Bullock - Dudley to IN for Hibbert?

We get rid of Dudley at the cost of Bullock (I'd rather they add Wilcox but it wasn't my idea) we get Hibbert. DJ may be too expensive when his contract expires whereas Roy is locked up. We don't need scoring from the 5, so Hibbert wouldn't have to be counted on like he would in IN.

For IN they get a starting SF (not every player does good when they return home. See, Andre "The A-Hole" Miller) They get a starting 3 and replace Hibbert at the 5 with DJ.

Personally, DJ is still my favorite player on the team so I vetoed it, but I thought I would run it by you guys anyways.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ldcf6bs
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#862 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:14 pm

Absof**kinglutely not
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#863 » by Neddy » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:27 pm

Don Tommy wrote:So a friend at work (Laker fan) asked me about a trade, I punched it into the trade machine, and it actually worked. What do you guys think about this?

DJ - Bullock - Dudley to IN for Hibbert?

We get rid of Dudley at the cost of Bullock (I'd rather they add Wilcox but it wasn't my idea) we get Hibbert. DJ may be too expensive when his contract expires whereas Roy is locked up. We don't need scoring from the 5, so Hibbert wouldn't have to be counted on like he would in IN.

For IN they get a starting SF (not every player does good when they return home. See, Andre "The A-Hole" Miller) They get a starting 3 and replace Hibbert at the 5 with DJ.

Personally, DJ is still my favorite player on the team so I vetoed it, but I thought I would run it by you guys anyways.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ldcf6bs

Im sorry bro, but that is a big fat NO.

Hibbert had his PER around 13 last season, DJ was better than 18. both have around 16 career per, DJ is not any worse than Hibbert. in fact, as of the latest evidence, DJ is a head and neck better than regressed Hibbert. you can't trade the better player away with other assets for lesser player who simply has a longer contract.
ehhhhh f it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,040

Post#864 » by og15 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 9:12 pm

What in the world just happened? Did we just see DJ for Hibbert? Hibbert makes more, has a longer contract, is too slow to play the kind of defense we play, while DJ has been used to it for a year already. Please no.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,076

Post#865 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:09 am

The guys who come up with these trades are in the mindset that teams need superstars in the playoffs. Each superstar would represent an automatic pass into the next round. If you have one superstar on your team, you'd be guaranteed a second round appearance. Two superstars, conference finals. Three superstars, NBA Finals. Let's look at the Laker fan's thinking:

"Jordan had honorable mentions for Defensive Player and NBA All-Star last season. He failed to scratch considerations for MVP or All-NBA Teams. His farthest playoff appearance is the second round."

"Hibbert is a 2x All Star, Defensive Player award winner, and an All-NBA Defensive Team selection. His farthest playoff appearance is the conference finals."

Don Tommy's friend's thinking is based on the accolades principal. The guy with the gold is the proven commodity. This has been the way of the Lakers for years: if your team wants to go deep into the playoffs, look for the player who has advanced the farthest and/or is a consistent All Star or All NBA Team selection. The player with an honorable mention is believed to be "just not that good enough."

Since becoming a Clipper coach, Doc has targeted coaches instead of players, save for a position of need in Spencer Hawes, system familiarity in Glen Davis, and a player who defeated Doc's Big 3 Celtics in former Laker Jordan Farmar. Doc idolizes chemistry to the point where even a meaningless salary dump could damage their playoff chances. Forget about the small forward spot: that's going to be a wild card position for 1s, 2s and 4s. Blake Griffin might have to become the Clipper's proverbial small forward, especially when we start seeing the Griffin-Hawes-Jordan lineup being tested come preseason.

Having said all that, DeAndre Jordan must make the All-Star Game this season.
Don Tommy
Senior

Post#866 » by Don Tommy » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:42 pm

Wammy, you nailed what I said almost exactly! Hibbert is the bigger name, and the Lakers always go for the big name over the actual player (3 first round picks for Nash in his very late 30's?)
If you watch ESPN, all DJ does is dunk. He can't be counted on in the fourth quarter... all that same old stuff. It's amazing what happens when you actually watch an entire game! I love DJ, I have since he was a rookie. When people complained about his contract the Warriors signed him to, I defended it.
This to me is the difference between the Lakers and the Clippers now. The Clippers went after Hawes to fill a need. The Lakers went for LeBron and Melo, ended up with Nick Young and Carlos Boozer. We still have to settle the DTS stuff and in dying for a better starting SF but I'm proud to be a Clippers fan.
One last thing. Small forward is our biggest weakness and he wanted us to give up our wing depth only to fill a hole that the trade created. No no no!
Don Tommy
Senior

Post#867 » by Don Tommy » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:44 pm

Click on the trade machine link... ESPN says we'd win that trade. Careful what you read on the internet guys!
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,076

Post#868 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:01 pm

As far as small forward is concerned, there's nothing they can do to fix it. It's gonna take a team effort. Point guards, shooting guards and power forwards will have to take turns guarding opposing 3's. Blake Griffin may have to slide over to the small forward spot. Remember that he needs to improve his shooting to the point where he can make 3s at a consistent level. Karl Malone had to do this.

Why is a small forward Griffin important? It has to do with Doc's hope that Kevin Garnett gets bought out, and he joins the Clippers after the trade deadline. A lineup of Paul-Redick-Griffin-Garnett-Jordan will be a huge improvement come playoff time.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#869 » by LACtdom » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:07 pm

Griffin's strength is his speed, handling and agility to get around PF defenders. Put him at small forward and you take away one of our best weapons. Griffin is not going to be a better 3pt shooter next season than Barnes/Dudley. If anything it will be like the Pistons with Josh Smith crowding the paint because they can't spread the floor. Blake will only have an advantage at the SF if he posts up a smaller guy (which will be likely at SF). However on D Blake will struggle to keep up and will most likely pick up fouls. Blake was 3rd in MVP voting, why do you guys want to put him out of position? Of course I still want him to improve his J and 3pt shooting but lets stick to our strengths.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#870 » by Neddy » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:30 am

Don Tommy wrote:Click on the trade machine link... ESPN says we'd win that trade. Careful what you read on the internet guys!

ahhhh... I'm sorry again, bro. the ESPN trade machine says we lose 3 games from this trade, and the Pacers gain 4 games.

you know I love ya, but just had to point it out.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#871 » by Neddy » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:32 am

LACtdom wrote:Griffin's strength is his speed, handling and agility to get around PF defenders. Put him at small forward and you take away one of our best weapons. Griffin is not going to be a better 3pt shooter next season than Barnes/Dudley. If anything it will be like the Pistons with Josh Smith crowding the paint because they can't spread the floor. Blake will only have an advantage at the SF if he posts up a smaller guy (which will be likely at SF). However on D Blake will struggle to keep up and will most likely pick up fouls. Blake was 3rd in MVP voting, why do you guys want to put him out of position? Of course I still want him to improve his J and 3pt shooting but lets stick to our strengths.

this is right on. the best analysis we can all agree. Griffin at SF can only be feasible depending on the match up, and there are very few that favors Blake around the playoff bound teams in both conferences.
ehhhhh f it.
Don Tommy
Senior

Post#872 » by Don Tommy » Tue Aug 5, 2014 2:18 am

Neddy wrote:
Don Tommy wrote:Click on the trade machine link... ESPN says we'd win that trade. Careful what you read on the internet guys!

ahhhh... I'm sorry again, bro. the ESPN trade machine says we lose 3 games from this trade, and the Pacers gain 4 games.

you know I love ya, but just had to point it out.

LOL you're right! After work I was in the parking garage checking it out on my phone, I did see it wrong. Also, don't worry about saying no the first time, it was a trade brought to me that I laughed at. Like Wammy said, it shows the difference between Lakers fan and the rest of reality. He tried selling me on getting rid of Dudley, and saying DJ would be too expensive when his next contract came up. I didn't even mention him saying we should throw in a first round pick!
I'm not opposed to trading DJ if it brings in a superstar (the LeBron rumors earlier) but that's it. He fits in LA, he fits in with our team that needs defense more than scoring and he is a home grown second round pick that has been here for the good and the bad. I'm not letting go of him that easily!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,040

Post#873 » by og15 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 7:25 pm

LACtdom wrote:Griffin's strength is his speed, handling and agility to get around PF defenders. Put him at small forward and you take away one of our best weapons. Griffin is not going to be a better 3pt shooter next season than Barnes/Dudley. If anything it will be like the Pistons with Josh Smith crowding the paint because they can't spread the floor. Blake will only have an advantage at the SF if he posts up a smaller guy (which will be likely at SF). However on D Blake will struggle to keep up and will most likely pick up fouls. Blake was 3rd in MVP voting, why do you guys want to put him out of position? Of course I still want him to improve his J and 3pt shooting but lets stick to our strengths.

Yea, this is correct, and if I'm a team and you put put a lineup of Blake/KG/DJ, I'll guard KG with my SF because I know you're trying to use him on the perimeter and have Blake kill my SF in the post. Now of course kG can go in post, but your spacing is even worse than trying to use Blake in the post vs my SF with KG as a floor spacer.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#874 » by LACtdom » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:27 pm

I actually really like Matt Barnes as our SF. He can defend and puts in 100% effort. We have the best point guard, a sharpshooter in JJ, a star PF and a C who averaged a double double while being the leading rebounder. IMO we don't need to shuffle our players around, what we need is them to put in a solid off-season building chemistry and buying into defensive schemes.

Last season we opened up the year with an embarrassing loss to the lakers. Let's be a bit more ready this time round.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#875 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 8, 2014 1:51 am

Don Tommy wrote: it shows the difference between Lakers fan and the rest of reality.

speaking of the devil, I wonder how they feel right about now that their "guaranteed" arrival of Kevin Love is... hmmm....... where is Carmelo the fall back plan? you don't say....... :lol:
ehhhhh f it.
Angel strike1
Lead Assistant
And1: 641

Post#876 » by Angel strike1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 am

Neddy wrote:
Don Tommy wrote: it shows the difference between Lakers fan and the

rest of reality.

speaking of the devil, I wonder how they feel right about now that their "guaranteed" arrival of Kevin Love is... hmmm....... where is Carmelo the fall back plan? you don't say....... :lol:

lebron will opt out in 2 years for lakers.

and at worse durant/westbrook are already lakers. you know the drill lol
:crazy:
Neddy
RealGM

Post#877 » by Neddy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 am

Angel strike1 wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Don Tommy wrote: it shows the difference between Lakers fan and the

rest of reality.

lebron will opt out in 2 years for lakers.

and at worse durant/westbrook are already lakers. you know the drill lol
:crazy:

Yo where have you been? long time no see man
ehhhhh f it.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#878 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:34 pm

If Budinger is a available perhaps they should pursue him. I don't know what the Clips could offer the Wolves though that they would want.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#879 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:If Budinger is a available perhaps they should pursue him. I don't know what the Clips could offer the Wolves though that they would want.

Is he better than anything we currently have though?
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#880 » by Forte IV » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 pm

He's a better shooter. I don't know much about his defense though.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM

Return to Los Angeles Clippers