Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Fitting In 

Post#121 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 3, 2014 12:05 am

NBA.com VIDEOS: Danny Granger 3PTA for 2013-14 Season

Jordan Conn, Grantland (11/1/13)
So, Granger’s thinking goes, now he can step easily into becoming just another very good player on a team full of very good players. And let’s not forget: When Granger last played a full season in 2011-12, he was arguably the best among Indiana’s crop of borderline All-Stars. He led the team with 19 points per game and was better than the league’s average in virtually every manner of scoring — from spot-ups to post-ups to coming off screens to isos. Now, Granger feels like his role has been boiled down to its essential element: “I’m a shooter,” he says. “That’s where it starts.” And in 2011-12, he did that better than almost anyone in the league, scoring off catch-and-shoot situations more efficiently than any high-volume shooter not named Kevin Durant or Klay Thompson.

Says an Eastern Conference scout: “We know he and George can play together. That’s not an issue at all.” Adds George: “When Danny’s out there, it frees everybody up. The whole court is just bigger. I have more room, George [Hill] has more room — everybody.”

All this talk of readjusting assumes one thing: Someday — possibly soon — Granger will be healthy. He insists that his knee feels good, that he’s back to his old self. Yet his health issues stem from tendinosis — a degenerative condition that can be managed but that tends to linger. When asked what to expect from Granger, the scout is noncommittal. “You’re asking me to give an opinion on a guy who no one has really seen in, what, almost two years?” he says, though at this point, it has only been about 17 months. “He could be an All-Star again,” the scout says. “He could be done. I end up sticking my foot in my mouth, whatever I say.” But if Granger is healthy, the scout sees him readjusting with no problem. “When they got David West they took on this physical identity,” he says, “and Granger can fit with that. He doesn’t change their identity at all.”

The X-Files: Danny Granger

Eric Patten, Clippers.com (2/28/14)
“I definitely have gotten healthy,” Granger said. “Now it was just a matter of getting my game back and getting my feel and I was on track. I’m still feeling good. So, I still feel like I have a lot to offer and I like the way I’m going.”

Granger has never been a high percentage shooter, but he’s also never played with a cast of offensive players around him like he will have with the Clippers. He’s a 38.2 percent shooter from 3-point range in his career, a number that has dipped since his knee troubles began.

But even still he is 12-for28 (42.9 percent) from the left and right corners, a spot he will likely receive plenty of open looks in the Clippers’ high-octane offense. It also helps that he has played up-tempo before, in 2009-10, when he averaged 24.1 points and attempted a career-high 7.1 3-poitners [sic] a game.

Granger on Clippers: ‘It’s Going to Be a Change, But I’ll Be Happy’

Arash Markazi, ESPN Los Angeles (3/2/14)
Rivers hopes Granger, who was an All-Star in 2009, can at some point this season work his way into being the team’s starting small forward to allow Matt Barnes to go back to his more natural role of coming off the bench. Barnes was thrust into the starting lineup after the consistent struggles of Jared Dudley, who is experiencing the worst shooting season of his career.

“He hasn’t played a lot over the last couple of years, but I thought before the trade he was starting to round into shape and starting to make shots,” Rivers said of Granger. “What I see in him is length. He’s a long small forward who has the ability to add a different dimension to us. The way I look at it is we can have a post game at the 3 spot as well now, which would be nice for us. If [sic] gives us another dimension.

"He can stretch the floor, and he comes from a defensive organization that runs a lot of the stuff that we run, so I thought defensively he would be the easier fit of the guys that were out there. He’s still coming back from the injury, so he still needs more time and minutes, and we’re trying to do that.”

Granger should help bolster thin front line
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Black9ne Highlight Video 

Post#122 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 3, 2014 7:04 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FNfkMozPLQ[/youtube]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Getting Granger? [UPDATE: Got Him!] 

Post#123 » by TheNewEra » Mon Mar 3, 2014 4:19 pm

Granger got the confidence vote from Doc that being a starter is very possible its all about him doing the work.
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#124 » by azncorruptedo17 » Mon Mar 3, 2014 4:26 pm

i think granger is a great fit... as long as he can make his shots...
Clipper fan since '95!!
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#125 » by Kelphus » Mon Mar 3, 2014 5:16 pm

Neddy wrote:big baby is already signed on for next year. not sure about granger's contract details but i like our chances retaining him especially once we get rid of ourselves dudley's contract.

I think Davis has a PLAYERS option on next year. If there is a market for him, he can go elsewhere
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#126 » by nickhx2 » Mon Mar 3, 2014 8:16 pm

welcome!
Ranma
RealGM

Still Likely to Opt Out 

Post#127 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 4, 2014 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#128 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Mar 4, 2014 5:01 pm

how much can we pay him for year 2?

i want to get young.
I want to be good for a while.
i don't want to blow our load in 2015 and 2016
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#129 » by TheNewEra » Tue Mar 4, 2014 6:31 pm

Unlike Davis I can't see Granger picking up the option while not getting back money from another team.
Ranma
RealGM

What ClipperBlog Envisions 

Post#130 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 am

Fred Katz, ClipperBlog (3/9/14)
How big of a role do you see Danny Granger playing in the Clippers’ postseason run?
@TheMiniCP3

And against what popular opinion may say, it’s still supremely possible that Granger becomes a major contributor for this team. But a contributor. Not a star. Not even a starter getting big-time minutes. Just a contributor.

One of the reasons Granger’s numbers plummeted so aggressively this past season in Indiana is that he’s essentially lost the ability to create his own shot. He’s a step slower. He’s not going to score off the dribble for this team. But in the end, does he have to?

If he gets minutes with the starters, Granger will share the floor with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Those guys are going to handle the ball. They’re two of the best passers at their respective positions in the league. So all the newest Clipper has to do is find space in the defense and spot-up shoot, a skill he still has in his arsenal.

With the reserves, it’s going to be a similar story. Do we really think Jamal Crawford or Darren Collison are giving up dribbles to Granger? His job is going to be simple, almost Dudley-like. In that role, the 36 percent field-goal percentage from Indi [sic] probably won’t carry over, and it’d probably be safe to bet that the career-high 42 percent three-point rate will either maintain or increase while playing the part of off-ball, spot-up shooter.

#ClipperBag: Streaks, Injuries and the Redick Fear
Ranma
RealGM

Playing Catch-Up 

Post#131 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Eric Patten, Clippers.com (3/11/14)
A week into his tenure with the Clippers, Granger is learning on the fly. He’s picking up the nuances of a new offense and defense. He’s improving his physical fitness. He’s adjusting to playing somewhere other than Indianapolis, a place he spent the first eight-plus seasons of his NBA life. And he’s doing all of it on a team bound for the postseason in a little more than a month.

“Just keep on building, that’s the goal,” he said. “Finding a rhythm. I’m understanding the way they play a lot more now, offensively and defensively. It’s a lot of fun.”

“[My conditioning]’s not there,” Granger said. “I didn’t play for a week and a half, so that will kind of set you back a little bit. But you’ve still got your basic conditioning, just got to get your wind back up; and I’m working on it, conditioning every day. Like I said, got some run in tonight, and I’ll get out and condition tomorrow.”

Granger Catching Up on the Fly with Clippers
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#132 » by Neddy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 am

I am glad that we have Granger healthy for month to get used to our scheme and improve his cardio before when it matters the most.
ehhhhh f it.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#133 » by TheNewEra » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:36 pm

It's about that time to start.
Ranma
RealGM

Gift for Half a Game? 

Post#134 » by Ranma » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Danny Chau, Grantland (3/13/14)
You’ve probably seen last night’s Danny Granger before. Maybe as early as 2005, when he was brought to the Pacers just as everything had fallen apart. Or maybe as recently as Monday night against the Suns, when, for a half, he gave Los Angeles its first glimpse of his old self, scoring 11 points in as many minutes. That Danny Granger came out to play again against the Warriors, when he erupted for 14 points on 6-for-7 shooting in the first two quarters. Spotting up, scoring off the dribble, bearing fruit off broken plays — it was all happening for Granger. For a half, it was amazing.

The hot hand is real, except when it’s not, maybe. All I know is, on Monday night, after he drained four of his five shots before halftime, I was ready for more. As the Clippers ran out of the tunnel for shootaround, my eyes darted to Granger, then promptly sank. He had two seven-pound, party-size bags of ice strapped to his knees. Old Danny Granger came back for a bit, but old Danny Granger was paying the price.

In the second half, Granger air-balled a jumper and committed a dumb continuation foul on Harrison Barnes. His finest contribution of the half was missing a 3-pointer so perfectly that it created an ideal platform for one of the best follow dunks I’ve ever seen. In the last two games, Granger has shot 10-of-12 in the first halves and 2-of-10 in the second. It’s a stark contrast, but one Clippers fans won’t mind much. There are fates much worse than being a peripheral one-half wonder on a team quickly gaining steam as a contender.

Granger’s nickname is “The Gift,” apparently because of how he fell all the way to the Pacers at 17 in the 2005 draft. In L.A., with expectations for Granger modest at best, it takes on a new meaning. No one is waiting by the door for a nightly delivery, but it’s pretty damn sweet when one arrives.

NBA Shootaround: The Flying Lion!
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#135 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 am

or maybe not lol
Ranma
RealGM

BG's New Sidekick? 

Post#136 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:20 am

Danny Granger may take after both Batman and the Lone Ranger, but he sure does a convincing job of playing the role of Dr. Drain as Blake Griffin's set-up man in recent games against the Warriors and Jazz.:biggrin:

TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#137 » by TheNewEra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Davis stay getting dunked on but love his effort and energy on d.lol
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#138 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:30 am

i just lol'd at ralph's reaction