ImageImageImageImageImage

C.J. Wilcox

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: C.J. Wilcox 

Post#41 » by TucsonClip » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:27 pm

I am not holding my breath at Doc playing Wilcox much this season, nor am I that Bullock wins the starting SF spot. Unfortunately, we really need both these guys to develop to help supplement our core moving forward. We dont exactly have a stash of picks (we owe potentially 2 firsts) in the near future.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#42 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Well I hope at least one of them can step up and play this season. Since Doc doesn't play rookies much we probably won't see much of Wilcox, unless he shows that he's a special talent somehow.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#43 » by LACtdom » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 pm

TucsonClip wrote:I am not holding my breath at Doc playing Wilcox much this season, nor am I that Bullock wins the starting SF spot. Unfortunately, we really need both these guys to develop to help supplement our core moving forward. We dont exactly have a stash of picks (we owe potentially 2 firsts) in the near future.

Could have kept Dudley and a future pick.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#44 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:00 am

now more than ever I think both Bullock and Wilcox are simply assets for doc to facilitate a mid season trade.
ehhhhh f it.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#45 » by Clemenza » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:32 pm

LACtdom wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:I am not holding my breath at Doc playing Wilcox much this season, nor am I that Bullock wins the starting SF spot. Unfortunately, we really need both these guys to develop to help supplement our core moving forward. We dont exactly have a stash of picks (we owe potentially 2 firsts) in the near future.

Could have kept Dudley and a future pick.

Lets face facts. Doc is a hell of a coach but a terrible GM. Neil O'Shay should've been the GM still if that dumb f*ck Donald Sterling would've given him a real contract :banghead:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#46 » by Clemenza » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Neddy wrote:now more than ever I think both Bullock and Wilcox are simply assets for doc to facilitate a mid season trade.

There's no value in these two right now especially in Bullock. Doc inherited Blake, CP3, DJ, Crawford, and Matt Barnes. I l love him as a coach but his GM moves are absolute trash. He screwed up the Bledsoe deal, drafted yet another shooting guard, the Dudley deal made no sense- Dudley actually looks back in form in Milwaukee, resigned Big Baby and Hedo???? Big Baby is already hurt :noway: :noway:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#47 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:44 pm

what move this offseason makes I'm a bad GM?

lost dudley.
lost a 1st rounder.
drop the deadweight of the deals acquired.
acquire CD Recordable and big man depth.

thought we had a great offseason tbh.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#48 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Neddy wrote:now more than ever I think both Bullock and Wilcox are simply assets for doc to facilitate a mid season trade.

There's no value in these two right now especially in Bullock. Doc inherited Blake, CP3, DJ, Crawford, and Matt Barnes. I l love him as a coach but his GM moves are absolute trash. He screwed up the Bledsoe deal, drafted yet another shooting guard, the Dudley deal made no sense- Dudley actually looks back in form in Milwaukee, resigned Big Baby and Hedo???? Big Baby is already hurt :noway: :noway:

there might not be much value by themselves standing alone, but in a packaged deal that might include likes of DJ (hypothetically speaking) they will be a cheaper alternative to a draft pick. there is a value for them in a package and they are more than just fillers because they are young unproven recent first rounders.
ehhhhh f it.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by LACtdom » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Are you guys saying that Doc has made our roster worse? or that simply you guys would have gotten better players?

Before people start complaining here's a few things I have to say:

We all thought Mullens and Dudley would be better than they were and JJ was a great pickup.
We all complain about how badly we need to get rid of Dudley and then when Doc does, we complain about Dudley improving.
If all we can complain about is Doc's choice of 3rd string players like Hedo then really he has done a great job. The reality is we didn't have the money for any SF that would make us fans happy.
No GM wins all the recruitment battles and as long as Doc keeps slowly making this team roster better each year then I am happy. Look at the OKC GM, their roster gets worse each year.

Hopefully the new TV deal means that we will be able to sign DJ and also get a SF.
adiedanny
Senior
And1: 5

Post#50 » by adiedanny » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

LACtdom wrote:Are you guys saying that Doc has made our roster worse? or that simply you guys would have gotten better players?

Before people start complaining here's a few things I have to say:

We all thought Mullens and Dudley would be better than they were and JJ was a great pickup.
We all complain about how badly we need to get rid of Dudley and then when Doc does, we complain about Dudley improving.
If all we can complain about is Doc's choice of 3rd string players like Hedo then really he has done a great job. The reality is we didn't have the money for any SF that would make us fans happy.
No GM wins all the recruitment battles and as long as Doc keeps slowly making this team roster better each year then I am happy. Look at the OKC GM, their roster gets worse each year.

Hopefully the new TV deal means that we will be able to sign DJ and also get a SF.
wow! Thank you! Bunch of chicken Littles It's just preseason and you're absolutely right. So far I'm loving the Hawes pick up. Things will work out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Neddy
RealGM

Post#51 » by Neddy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 am

Not sure what you two are fumigating about, but the reality is to some of us it seems that Doc is gathering his assets for a trade. I believe this upcoming first half of the season is the live audition for DJ to prove that he is worthy of a max or near max contract. If he underperforms, Doc will probably use the cheap quality assets he has accumulated around DJ to make a deal to bring in a legit third star a la 2008 Boston Celtics.

so, who's bashing what now? I am not sure other than Clemenza, who else falls under your so called you guys?
ehhhhh f it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,167

Post#52 » by og15 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 am

Mullens was a bad signing from the start, at least to me it was. There was nothing proving he was a useful NBA player on either end before the team got him.

Dudley was bad luck due to injury timing and will most likely be much better this season.

This off season was good also, especially based on the limited resources the team had.

Sent from my LG-E970 using RealGM Forums mobile app
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by LACtdom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:59 am

I have to admit I was excited by the idea of Mullens being able to space the floor and was happy that we acquired Dudley so I can't bash Doc for making those moves. Hawes is everything that Mullens was meant to be and more. I do think Doc needs to make a trade as our 3 position is pathetic.

When I used the collective 'guys' my arguments were clearly against the few people i've seen arguing that Doc is one of the worst GMs.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#54 » by Neddy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 am

LACtdom wrote:I have to admit I was excited by the idea of Mullens being able to space the floor and was happy that we acquired Dudley so I can't bash Doc for making those moves. Hawes is everything that Mullens was meant to be and more. I do think Doc needs to make a trade as our 3 position is pathetic.

When I used the collective 'guys' my arguments were clearly against the few people i've seen arguing that Doc is one of the worst GMs.

i dunno if he is one of the worst GMs, but he is a much better coach than he is a GM. and he is probably a below average GM compared to say, Neil Olshey. it's no knock on Doc, I have always said he is the best field general aka leader of men i have ever seen.

I didn't really like Doc signing back Davis, Hedo or Farmar, as the first two are no longer relevant basketball talents and the last is a lesser version of Crawford. but i do believe Doc has a plan and that is to install a championship swagger and know-how to our young stars. I didn't like Doc maxing out guaranteed contract to 15 at first but it only now solidifies my belief a trade is coming regardless and we will take less players than we give out.
I have done some research on Joe Ingles and after watching him play in Mandalay Bay up close and personal, I think he is a keeper and better than a couple of guys at his position already.

I dunno, i guess I am only elaborating on my opinions to make a guess, don't take it as a prediction but I get a strong feeling that the roster that will open the season will not be the roster that will end the season with.
ehhhhh f it.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by LACtdom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 am

Neddy wrote:
LACtdom wrote:I have to admit I was excited by the idea of Mullens being able to space the floor and was happy that we acquired Dudley so I can't bash Doc for making those moves. Hawes is everything that Mullens was meant to be and more. I do think Doc needs to make a trade as our 3 position is pathetic.

i dunno if he is one of the worst GMs, but he is a much better coach than he is a GM. and he is probably a below average GM compared to say, Neil Olshey. it's no knock on Doc, I have always said he is the best field general aka leader of men i have ever seen.

I didn't really like Doc signing back Davis, Hedo or Farmar, as the first two are no longer relevant basketball talents and the last is a lesser version of Crawford. but i do believe Doc has a plan and that is to install a championship swagger and know-how to our young stars. I didn't like Doc maxing out guaranteed contract to 15 at first but it only now solidifies my belief a trade is coming regardless and we will take less players than we give out.
I have done some research on Joe Ingles and after watching him play in Mandalay Bay up close and personal, I think he is a keeper and better than a couple of guys at his position already.

I dunno, i guess I am only elaborating on my opinions to make a guess, don't take it as a prediction but I get a strong feeling that the roster that will open the season will not be the roster that will end the season with.

As I previously said I'm not too concerned with 3rd string players like Hedo because they won't get many minutes. Big Baby has played poorly but I believe spencer hawes will play a lot of minutes and Big Baby will act like a 3rd string player anyway. What concerns me is the moves he will make to fill our SF void and this will determine how I rate him as a GM. I am such a big fan of Hawes that under the right circumstances I would be willing to give up DJ in some kind of deal instead of overpaying him.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#56 » by Neddy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:05 am

LACtdom wrote:
Neddy wrote:

As I previously said I'm not too concerned with 3rd string players like Hedo because they won't get many minutes. Big Baby has played poorly but I believe spencer hawes will play a lot of minutes and Big Baby will act like a 3rd string player anyway. What concerns me is the moves he will make to fill our SF void and this will determine how I rate him as a GM. I am such a big fan of Hawes that under the right circumstances I would be willing to give up DJ in some kind of deal instead of overpaying him.

yes Hawes is a very important signing. as you have already mentioned, in case DJ is traded out and we don't get a center back, Hawes can step in as the starter and that would give us a stretch 5 that gives more room for Blake to operate and aside from spacing, very competent offensive starting 5.

Although as i said I am not counting on Glen Davis to do much, i am not worried because we have Udoh. even if DJ is traded for a star SF I would think Blake - Hawes - Udoh would be enough 3 bigs come playoff time.
ehhhhh f it.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by LACtdom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 am

Neddy wrote:
LACtdom wrote:
Neddy wrote:

yes Hawes is a very important signing. as you have already mentioned, in case DJ is traded out and we don't get a center back, Hawes can step in as the starter and that would give us a stretch 5 that gives more room for Blake to operate and aside from spacing, very competent offensive starting 5.

Although as i said I am not counting on Glen Davis to do much, i am not worried because we have Udoh. even if DJ is traded for a star SF I would think Blake - Hawes - Udoh would be enough 3 bigs come playoff time.

I'm interested in your preferences/thoughts on a realistic SF that would fit in if we were to lose DJ.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#58 » by og15 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Of course the issue with Hawes as the safety net for DJ is that the advantage gained on offense might be lost defensively. Also if DJ is traded and no big comes back, the team is back to square one in terms of being like last season where the backup big men were very weak.

Lastly, we do have to remember that Hawes has struggled with consistency (not game to game, longer term consistency) over his career.

Do I think DJ's role could be partially filled / filled well enough by a lesser player? Yes, I do. Do I think that if the team sees that financially it is or will just be too much to keep him, that they should trade him or think about trading him? Yes, yes I do, but it's never easy to get just the right pieces.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#59 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 am

LACtdom wrote:
Neddy wrote:
LACtdom wrote:

I'm interested in your preferences/thoughts on a realistic SF that would fit in if we were to lose DJ.

of course my preference is to have DJ become the player he wishes to be paid at. I like CDR and Kangaroo Joe tandem but on this team the 3 spot is the weakest and there is no debate about it. so if DJ gets traded, of course I want a SF in return along with a replacement for DJ but it is unlikely a team will trade a good center for another so the centerpiece of the return would most likely be a SF. do i have a specific player in mind? not really but i do have a batch of players we could potentially look at, but the best scenario is for DJ to work out. that doesn't mean a reasonable person should not have a backup plan ready, just in case. and this is exactly that i think doc is doing right now. Doc wants to see DJ succeed, but just in case, he has gathered some other assets for a deal if needed.

I don't see nothing wrong with that.
ehhhhh f it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#60 » by og15 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:45 am

LACtdom wrote:
Neddy wrote:
LACtdom wrote:

Honestly this team could have used Gee. Should have picked him up before Denver who already has a lot of wings.

He's nothing great, but this team just lacks the kind of player, strong, athletic defender (only okay shooter though). Sadly he became available so late, September 25th after the team had already made certain moves.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers