ImageImageImageImageImage

Doc adds Woodson to staff, but also after Frank and Cassell.

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Doc adds Woodson to staff, but also after Frank and Cassell. 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 9, 2014 10:05 pm

Not overly excited about Sam Cassell but Lawrence Frank would be a great get.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/486989285598724096[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/486989906246647809[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Re: Doc adds Woodson to staff, but also after Frank and Cass 

Post#2 » by LACtdom » Wed Jul 9, 2014 10:40 pm

A year ago I would have preferred Woodson over Gentry so i'm excited to see what he will add to the Clippers.
Method28
Junior
And1: 356

Post#3 » by Method28 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 11:33 pm

Frank would be an awesome add

Sent from Donald Sterling's plantation
All-Fav Team
PG: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio
SG: Marcus Thornton, Tony Allen
SF: Nick Batum, Luol Deng, Danillo Gallinari
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin
C: Demarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan
Cheerleader: Ryan Gomes
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#4 » by CoolKids » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:27 am

LACtdom wrote:A year ago I would have preferred Woodson over Gentry so i'm excited to see what he will add to the Clippers.

woodson is a good guy who the players get along well with. horrible offensive mind. over rated defensively too. with the right players he could be a good defensive coach but his entire scheme is basically to switch at every opportunity leading to alot of mismatches and a ton of second chance points. a really bad head coach honestly but this limited role is probably perfect for him.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#5 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:04 am

The trio of Woodson, Frank, and Cassell would be nice. Let's see what happens.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Ranma
RealGM

Larry Drew also in the mix. 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:46 am

As long as he doesn't bring his overrated son with him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/486998648236933120[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 am

All black urrthing
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#8 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:11 am

Quake Griffin wrote:All black urrthing

We must hire Frank to be the token white guy on the bench, and all problems solved :wink:
ehhhhh f it.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#9 » by QRich3 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 am

CoolKids wrote:
LACtdom wrote:A year ago I would have preferred Woodson over Gentry so i'm excited to see what he will add to the Clippers.

woodson is a good guy who the players get along well with. horrible offensive mind. over rated defensively too. with the right players he could be a good defensive coach but his entire scheme is basically to switch at every opportunity leading to alot of mismatches and a ton of second chance points. a really bad head coach honestly but this limited role is probably perfect for him.

He's not gonna come here to install his system, he's gonna be coaching Doc's/Thibs' strong side defense. I'm guessing the offense will be entirely Doc's too.

Ranma why don't you like Sam Cassell? he's been credited a lot for the Wizard's young guys development, specially Wall. Not to mention he's one of the greatest, most successful and ballsiest Clippers of all time

Much rather have him than Tyron "multimillion $ contract" Lue
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Post#10 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Woodson is an iso-heavy offensive coach. With him around, he can create plays for not only Chris Paul and Jamal Crawford, but for Blake Griffin as well. There will be games where Paul and Crawford are unavailable and the rest of his teammates are shut down defensively, and it will be up to Griffin to manufacture a game-winning buzzer beating shot on his own. Griffin has yet to have those kind of games where he needs to be clutch and cold-blooded like Paul is. Having clutch games will further improve his resume and his superstar status.

Some additional facts:

1. Crawford played for Woodson (and Larry Drew) before:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7N2nr2ifG4[/youtube]

2. Mike Woodson, Larry Drew and Sam Cassell all played for the Clippers. If Drew and Cassell join the team, we'll basically have an All-Clippers coaching team. Lawrence Frank will be the odd man out.

3. Crawford will not be traded. He, C.J. Wilcox, Spencer Hawes and owner-to-be Steve Ballmer all have ties to Seattle. Doc believes in connections like this.

4. Sam Cassell was also a member of the 2008 Celtics championship team; another Doc connection. This means we could be even closer to a Paul Pierce-Kevin Garnett reunion.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#11 » by mj_shoefanatic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Would love to see ET back on the Clippers sidelines. I'm like whatever with adding Frank.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#12 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:40 pm

why in the world would we want to give crawford more isos?

anyway i think woodson is a good addition. i hope we get frank and cassell also.
Angel strike1
Lead Assistant
And1: 641

Post#13 » by Angel strike1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 am

i always liked sam. he always had that swag that you cant teach. him being around wont be a bad thing
RiversideClips
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#14 » by RiversideClips » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:13 pm

I think it would be hard for Sam to leave DC (he is from Bmore) b/c of the good work he has done w/ the Wiz'x young back court.
I am a big Frank fan. but I thought his wife was sick and he didn't want to coach until she was healthy. is she now healthy? Frank would be an upgrade from Lue
I thought Scalabrine was coming to Clipper Nation.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#15 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 am

Woodson really likes Sheed. Hopefully Woodson can convince Doc to hire Sheed to basically be a big man coach. He was one of the post post players on offense and defense when he was focused. Could teach DJ and Griffin a thing or two
Ranma
RealGM

Holding a Grudge 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:16 pm

QRich3 wrote:Ranma why don't you like Sam Cassell? he's been credited a lot for the Wizard's young guys development, specially Wall. Not to mention he's one of the greatest, most successful and ballsiest Clippers of all time

My apologies for the extended delay in responding, QRich3.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've been pre-occupied and only followed and contributed to a few threads these past few months. To address your question, while I acknowledge and value Cassell's contributions to the Clippers, I tend to think his accomplishments with the club were over-rated. I was not a fan of his competitive push with Shaun Livingston for the starting PG role even as I understood where it came from. I blame his lackadaisical 8-second violation during the 2005-06 playoffs for our loss in that series when, as a savvy veteran, he should have known better. He was also Jeff-McInnis-esque in his tendency to take too many shots.

So I guess I held a bit of a grudge carrying over from the aforementioned issues. Having said that, I've accepted his addition to our coaching staff and am optimistic that he can help our team as a part of Doc's staff. Speaking of which, I also blamed Doc's flop in the 1991-92 playoffs for costing the Clips victory in that series as well. In light of Doc's contributions as coach and face of the franchise post-Sterling, I've obviously let bygones be bygones in that respect, so the same applies for Cassell. Not to mention, Chris Paul's brainfart in our most recent playoff series against the Thunder.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#17 » by NBAfan3024 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Pretty good assistant lineup.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: Holding a Grudge 

Post#18 » by QRich3 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Ranma wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Ranma why don't you like Sam Cassell? he's been credited a lot for the Wizard's young guys development, specially Wall. Not to mention he's one of the greatest, most successful and ballsiest Clippers of all time

My apologies for the extended delay in responding, QRich3.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've been pre-occupied and only followed and contributed to a few threads these past few months. To address your question, while I acknowledge and value Cassell's contributions to the Clippers, I tend to think his accomplishments with the club were over-rated. I was not a fan of his competitive push with Shaun Livingston for the starting PG role even as I understood where it came from. I blame his lackadaisical 8-second violation during the 2005-06 playoffs for our loss in that series when, as a savvy veteran, he should have known better. He was also Jeff-McInnis-esque in his tendency to take too many shots.

So I guess I held a bit of a grudge carrying over from the aforementioned issues. Having said that, I've accepted his addition to our coaching staff and am optimistic that he can help our team as a part of Doc's staff. Speaking of which, I also blamed Doc's flop in the 1991-92 playoffs for costing the Clips victory in that series as well. In light of Doc's contributions as coach and face of the franchise post-Sterling, I've obviously let bygones be bygones in that respect, so the same applies for Cassell. Not to mention, Chris Paul's brainfart in our most recent playoff series against the Thunder.

No worries, I'm still here so... :D Yeah I get what you're saying and I was really mad at him for a while about all that too, but it's absurd to hold a grudge on a guy for something he probably regretted more than you or me ever did. We all f*ck up, I f*ck up at my job regularly and I consider myself to be very good at it. Paul f*cked up on the OKC game and I'm sure he's punished himself for it more than we'll ever do. That doesn't mean Cassell can't help us win next season does it :)
Ranma
RealGM

Auld Lang Syne 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:13 pm

QRich3 wrote:No worries, I'm still here so... :D Yeah I get what you're saying and I was really mad at him for a while about all that too, but it's absurd to hold a grudge on a guy for something he probably regretted more than you or me ever did. We all f*ck up, I f*ck up at my job regularly and I consider myself to be very good at it. Paul f*cked up on the OKC game and I'm sure he's punished himself for it more than we'll ever do. That doesn't mean Cassell can't help us win next season does it :)

By no means do I hold Cassel in the same contempt as Elton Brand or Danny Ferry. It was a lingering resentment that I'm pretty much over now. Now that he's a Clipper, I'm looking forward to see what he can bring to the team given his reputation around the league. [joke]He has plenty of time to make up for his previous transgressions.[/joke] :wink:
Ranma
RealGM

Frank and Drew 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 am

Larry Drew was added to the Cavs' staff and is no longer a consideration for the Clips, thankfully; I don't want to even entertain the remote possibility of bringing his son aboard in the future.

The Associated Press (8/19/14)
First-year Cavaliers coach David Blatt has hired former Milwaukee Bucks coach Larry Drew as one of his assistants.

Blatt will have Drew, Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier and James Posey on the bench with him along with Tyronn Lue, who was named an associate head coach in June.

Cavs add Larry Drew to staff

But it looks like the hold-up with Lawrence Frank is that the Nets are angling for compensation, most likely in the form of second-round pick(s).

Net Income, NetsDaily.com (8/4/14)
Lawrence Frank wasn't named to Lionel Hollins staff last week, leaving him once again in limbo ... And in receipt of a seven figure salary. The Nets front office directory still lists him as an assistant, in fact the first assistant. How long can this go on? Apparently through 2019, when his six-year deal runs out. The last two years reportedly guarantee him a front office position.

...sounds like the Nets want something, perhaps a pick, for Frank, who is after all a former head coach...

The Nets are known to want to build up their stockpile of second rounders. They bought three on Draft Night and got two from the Bucks, in 2015 and 2019, for Jason Kidd. The Clippers have the right to swap second rounders in 2016 under certain circumstances.

Do Brooklyn Nets want compensation for Lawrence Frank?

Dan Woike, Orange County Register (8/4/14)
The Clippers would like to add Frank to Rivers’ coaching staff, though they’d prefer not to send Brooklyn compensation.

Assistant coaches Armond Hill and Brendan O’Connor remain on staff.

Clippers close to adding Cassell to coaching staff

Return to Los Angeles Clippers