Quick Question(Settles an argument)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Re: Quick Question(Settles an argument) 

Post#21 » by LACtdom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
LACtdom wrote:In Paul's defense, Durant has never had post season success either. I don't think either player will lose any respect if they go their whole career without winning it all.

Kevin Durant is fine; he made one Finals appearance. Paul is the only superstar of the LeBron era to have never reached the conference level. If he doesn't reach it, even if it means having to sit out like Tracy McGrady for the entire playoffs, his entry to the Hall Of Fame could be compromised.

Another superstar has never made the conference level, Dominique Wilkins. 10 playoff appearances, lost three second rounders in a row (1988-89, 1991). In the lockout season with the Magic, he played in just one game for only 3 minutes. Paul could end up like Wilkins.

IMO finals appearances mean nothing. It doesn't matter if you get knocked out in the first round or conference finals, you still lost. I think both Nash and CP3 (barring injury) are guaranteed to be HOFers.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Post#22 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Secondly, trading for Griffin AND Paul is out of the question. The Clipper fans here can give you lots of reasons, but I'll stick with "They saved the Clippers from irrelevancy and deserve a ring for their valiant efforts" (even though championships aren't won this way).

Hey, Wammy Giveaway.

I wanted to reply to your PM'ed proposal and thoughts but it said that your account has disabled private message receipt. If you like, I can reply to your PM in this thread. Just let me know.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Post#23 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Go ahead, I won't mind. All I ask is that you briefly mention what I said in the PM before you get to answering directly so that the people will understand what I'm trying to convey.
JHack25
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#24 » by JHack25 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I think I'd rather have Blake & CP3 rather than KD + whoever. Blake and CP3 are top 10 players, arguably top 5.
Andre Drummond Fan
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#25 » by illastrate » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Kevin Durant is fine; he made one Finals appearance. Paul is the only superstar of the LeBron era to have never reached the conference level. If he doesn't reach it, even if it means having to sit out like Tracy McGrady for the entire playoffs, his entry to the Hall Of Fame could be compromised.

Another superstar has never made the conference level, Dominique Wilkins. 10 playoff appearances, lost three second rounders in a row (1988-89, 1991). In the lockout season with the Magic, he played in just one game for only 3 minutes. Paul could end up like Wilkins.

:lol: Good ol' Wammy with the obligatory shock value post. CP3 is a HOF. End of story.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#26 » by Forte IV » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 pm

I still remember the post he made where he was almost certain the Clippers would trade for Gay
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Post#27 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Forte IV wrote:I still remember the post he made where he was almost certain the Clippers would trade for Gay

It's either they trade for an existing superstar, or they hope another Clipper makes the All Star game this season. They need an All Star Center. DeAndre Jordan needs to make the game this year.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#28 » by illastrate » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Forte IV wrote:I still remember the post he made where he was almost certain the Clippers would trade for Gay

Or how Granger completed the "big 3"?
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Reply to Wammy Giveaway's PM 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Ranma wrote:The Clippers do lack that third for a solid "Big 3", but hopefully our depth can make up for that. Otherwise, a trade of Crawford, Barnes, and possibly even DJ may be necessary.

I know that fans are tied to players for what they've done, but the latter two are special. Barnes started his NBA career as a Clipper before testing the field. Jordan has been a life-long Clipper and a close friend of Griffin's. The fans would be heart-broken to see any of these players traded for a superstar to complete the Big 3, or for improved depth. But the NBA is a business, meaning you must leave behind all emotional attachments. Steve Ballmer decreed that the Clippers had to be bold and willing to take risks, otherwise, not being bold is to be timid. This includes having to make changes, such as trading Jared Dudley. It could even mean doing what Danny Ainge did in 2007 to get Doc's first ring. Remember the Kevin Garnett trade? It took five players, draft pick, and cash. This is a proposed scenario which mirrors that trade:

DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Reggie Bullock, C.J. Wilcox, rights to Cenk Akyol, 2nd round draft pick, $3 million cash for Dwight Howard

D12 would give the Clips a true superstar. Howard has played with J.J. Redick, Hedo Turkoglu, Big Baby Davis and Barnes before, so the transition could seem seamless. For CP3, he would finally have an All Star Center, somebody he's never had in his career. For Doc, he gets the guy who defeated his Big 3 Celtics in the 2009 NBA Playoffs. For DJ, he gets to go home to Houston.

For me, I think the Clippers season hinges on DeAndre Jordan making the All Star Game. When the media talks about Big 3s, they talk about three individual superstars who have an All Star resume (players who have appeared in multiple ASGs). DeAndre not making an ASG appearance may be the media's reluctance into putting the Clips in the title contender slot. DJ would have to put up All Star numbers and possibly a triple double in one game. DJ in the All Star Game would force the media to accept the Clippers Big 3 as legitimate, seeing that Paul and Griffin have participated in it. He can get in by vote or by coach's choice.

This might be a long shot, but I also think that Australian rookie Joe Ingles is going to be huge for them. The Clippers need a Manu Ginobili-type player, a new glue man, and Ingles could be that guy. Having him in the training camp puts the other wings in check. The Boomer could put the Clips into the Spurs trajectory, with a little Laker flavor mixed in for pizazz.

What do you think of this Dwight Howard trade? Could this be something the Clips may be forced to doing this season, sacrificing loyalty and chemistry for invincibility? Maybe they don't trade for D12, maybe it's for a superstar wing like DeMar DeRozan, James Harden, Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay? If they trade for those guys using DJ, who will be their new center - Hawes, Udoh, Griffin? Could a superstar trade open the door to Doc finally getting one of his Big 3 guys back in Ray Allen, Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett?

Lots of questions to be asked this season. It's critical that these questions be answered soon, with a motive in place.

The Dwight Howard trade is unrealistic from practically any level. First, the ESPN trade machine would not allow for it as currently constructed but that is a technicality with only $532,169 standing in the way of salary cap compliance. Second, the Rockets are all in on D12 and trying to add to the core of Howard & Harden with the aim of playing in the postseason. Third, if Houston were to go the rebuild route, the package offered is not really that appealing. Jordan's development and value would decrease once he leaves the Clippers as a still unfinished product, Crawford's age and long-term contract demands aren't appealing for a team starting over, and neither Bullock or Wilcox are considered premium prospects. Such a return package does not hold much appeal from the Rockets' perspective in giving away a superstar.

For the sake of argument, yes, I think the Clippers could use another superstar for a legit big 3, but so could many other teams. Those players just are not available and we really don't have the ammunition to acquire a third superstar. The best hope to acquire such a player would be to identify one in the draft who has fallen under the radar like Paul George (whom we passed over for Aminu) or Kobe Bryant (whom the Lakers got for Vlade Divac).

DeAndre Jordan presents a dilemma for the Clippers as his next contract would likely make him overpaid when we're right up against the salary cap limit. He's an integral part of the team who's made significant progress but I am less concerned about his making the all-star team--since he'd have an easier time in the East than the West--than I am with him solidifying his defensive play with continued improvement and establishing consistency in that area.

With both Chris Paul and Blake Griffin more inclined towards facilitating for others, I personally think we need a shot-creating playmaker who is not only inclined to score but also willing to pass to open teammates as well as play defense. In any case, both CP3 and BG need to be more aggressive in taking over games and looking for their shots more often. We could obviously use length at the 3 spot, so ideally, this player would be a small forward.

However, there doesn't look to be anyone available. I don't want to settle for anyone just for the sake of getting someone to fit the job description. You also mention leaving emotional attachments when considering deals, but while I agree with that for the most part, I think there is a place for keeping long-tenured players in the fold who've served as the face of the franchise a la Cal Ripken, Jr. for the Orioles as long as it is applied judiciously.

In the case of DJ, I agree that we and Doc should take a clearer look at him without emotional attachment since, like I said, his value as a player would be less if and when he leaves the team, so I'm not inclined to overpay on his next contract while he's still a work-in-progress. The funny thing is I feel a healthy Eric Gordon on a reasonable contract would have served us well in our aforementioned need for a big 3. While he was not a superstar, he did show himself to be an up-and-coming star, who was not only a staunch defender despite his lack of height, but also capable of creating shots not only for himself but for others as well. Obviously, that is wishful thinking at this point with the train already leaving the station regarding EJ, but basically, that is the type of player I feel could fill a void for us.

Yes, we should be on the lookout for someone to become available but I feel it would be more realistic to go after burgeoning star players as opposed to the rare and expensive superstar players. I'd like to think this team is being built along the lines of a better Sacramento Kings team of the 90's with their controlled fast-paced offense with passing and perimeter shooting coming from all over, but hopefully with better defense and clutch play from our lead superstars.

I expect Crawford to eventually be traded, so I hope we can parlay him for someone who fits the aforementioned description. Another deal that seems realistic and has some appeal is an Iman-Shumpert-for-Matt-Barnes swap. The two were almost exchanged for each other the previous trade deadline but this time we wouldn't have to take on Raymond Felton (or hopefully any other bad contract) but NYK is probably still looking for a first-round pick as well. Shumpert's fit in the triangle remains to be seen, but while he is an consistent scorer particularly from the perimeter, he's displayed athleticism, energy, and ball-handling to create for others, finish plays off, and play defense. New York supposedly wants to have him play the big point guard in Phil's triangle as Tim Hardaway, Jr. has outplayed him at the SG spot. However, the organization is also leery of extending him with an eye towards 2015 and 2016 salary cap flexibility. The 2015-16 team options for Barnes's contract--and Crawford's, for that matter--should be of appeal in that regard.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip

Return to Los Angeles Clippers