Blake May Start Retaliating

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Blake May Start Retaliating  

Post#1 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:46 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... m%2F%22%7D

"I was going to, but then I thought, 'It's preseason,'" Griffin said when asked about retaliating. "It's not worth it. That's not the person I want to waste it on."

^my favorite line in the article^ haha
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Re: Blake May Start Retaliating 

Post#2 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

When DeMarcus Cousins said he was going to try and keep his technical foul count down to five, I feared that somebody else will take his place. If what Griffin said in his article is true, I think he and Cousins may have traded places. This could be the season the Clippers will be the league leader in technical fouls and ejections.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#3 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:When DeMarcus Cousins said he was going to try and keep his technical foul count down to five, I feared that somebody else will take his place. If what Griffin said in his article is true, I think he and Cousins may have traded places. This could be the season the Clippers will be the league leader in technical fouls and ejections.

True. He does need to retaliate on someone though imo to send a message. Do it early in the season so whatever the consequences are won't really hurt us. But a message needs to be sent that he won't put up w that crap anymore.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Post#4 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:13 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:True. He does need to retaliate on someone though imo to send a message. Do it early in the season so whatever the consequences are won't really hurt us. But a message needs to be sent that he won't put up w that crap anymore.

But what if he does it too late, as in close to the playoffs? This could end up being another excuse when the Clippers really have none now that Donald Sterling is gone. The only excuse left will be, "They just aren't good enough." Not good enough on defense, overcoming pressure, or controlling their emotions.

Somebody should look up the Bad Boy Pistons and their count of technical fouls, ejections and suspensions. Who was the most volatile team in the NBA that, despite their inability to temper themselves, ended up winning a championship anyway?

And what of Matt Barnes? Has he given up protecting people just like he said on his Twitter account a year ago? If Barnes has quit enforcing (especially since he's going through a divorce with Gloria Govan as of this writing), who will end up being the enforcer? They have too many nice guys on this team. Griffin is at the brink of venting his pent-up rage. DeAndre Jordan has never been ejected from a game before (Chris Paul has).

This is why the Clippers need one more superstar. In the event that Blake Griffin is suspended for a good deal of games, who else is going to take his place? Chris Paul can, but he's vulnerable now because of his Game 5 blunders; I could see a Jordan Rules redux taking place on him. Jamal Crawford, inconsistent. J.J. Redick hasn't been himself lately. I could see Spencer Hawes, but is he the one?

All the answers keep pointing back to DeAndre Jordan. It is of the greatest importance that he makes the All Star Game this season.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#5 » by Clemenza » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Good its time for him to punch somebody in the f*cking mouth. He can absorb a fine with the money he makes. Just do it in the regular season so when the playoffs start teams will think twice before trying to start some sh*t.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#6 » by Clemenza » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:True. He does need to retaliate on someone though imo to send a message. Do it early in the season so whatever the consequences are won't really hurt us. But a message needs to be sent that he won't put up w that crap anymore.

But what if he does it too late, as in close to the playoffs? This could end up being another excuse when the Clippers really have none now that Donald Sterling is gone. The only excuse left will be, "They just aren't good enough." Not good enough on defense, overcoming pressure, or controlling their emotions.

Somebody should look up the Bad Boy Pistons and their count of technical fouls, ejections and suspensions. Who was the most volatile team in the NBA that, despite their inability to temper themselves, ended up winning a championship anyway?

And what of Matt Barnes? Has he given up protecting people just like he said on his Twitter account a year ago? If Barnes has quit enforcing (especially since he's going through a divorce with Gloria Govan as of this writing), who will end up being the enforcer? They have too many nice guys on this team. Griffin is at the brink of venting his pent-up rage. DeAndre Jordan has never been ejected from a game before (Chris Paul has).

This is why the Clippers need one more superstar. In the event that Blake Griffin is suspended for a good deal of games, who else is going to take his place? Chris Paul can, but he's vulnerable now because of his Game 5 blunders; I could see a Jordan Rules redux taking place on him. Jamal Crawford, inconsistent. J.J. Redick hasn't been himself lately. I could see Spencer Hawes, but is he the one?

All the answers keep pointing back to DeAndre Jordan. It is of the greatest importance that he makes the All Star Game this season.

I've always said this.. we need a couple of goons on this squad. I was happy we had TJax on the squad for that brief amount of time last year but we ended up releasing him. Yeah he's fallen off talent wise and wasn't in the best of shape but dude is always ready to scrape at the drop of a dime. Also teams weren't trying to f*ck with us when we had Keyon Martin, Reggie Evans, and Chauncy Billups. That's why I made the thread that Doc should've kept that big Euro Raduljica from the Dudley trade just to come in the game and throw a few elbows in the paint or something to that effect. But nobody around here wanted to hear that, they were happy we resigned Big Baby and Hedo :banghead: But yeah we've needed a goon for the past two years
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Have you guys seen the thread about this fight in the General Discussion?

lmao...strong Blake hate.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#8 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Have you guys seen the thread about this fight in the General Discussion?

Ha, not surprised. I'll check it out tonight after work
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#9 » by 2Mas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Clemenza wrote:Good its time for him to punch somebody in the f*cking mouth. He can absorb a fine with the money he makes. Just do it in the regular season so when the playoffs start teams will think twice before trying to start some sh*t.

I agree 100% & I hate Blake. But he needs to punch someone in the face for it. That'll def stop the being punked.

But he even says he may/might start retaliating. So that means no he won't. Just more tough guy frontness.

Come out say next person is gonna regret it. When it happens, Blake kills em, gets a 5 game suspension or whatever & its done with.

But saying he might start is just more softness. Do it & face the punish & get the respect, or shut up & take it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#10 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm

2Mas wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Good its time for him to punch somebody in the f*cking mouth. He can absorb a fine with the money he makes. Just do it in the regular season so when the playoffs start teams will think twice before trying to start some sh*t.

I agree 100% & I hate Blake. But he needs to punch someone in the face for it. That'll def stop the being punked.

But he even says he may/might start retaliating. So that means no he won't. Just more tough guy frontness.

Come out say next person is gonna regret it. When it happens, Blake kills em, gets a 5 game suspension or whatever & its done with.

But saying he might start is just more softness. Do it & face the punish & get the respect, or shut up & take it.

i lol'd.

who is doing this "punking" of Blake?
please lettuce know
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Post#11 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Which thread is it? The one where the Griffin hate is being discussed?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#12 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Which thread is it? The one where the Griffin hate is being discussed?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1350001

it's a good thing I can't post there because of cuss words i used over a year ago (go figure).
you get the feeling in that thread that Blake got pushed off a cliff playing basketball, half of them would applaud and say he deserves it because of flopping or locking arms with ibaka, the man who has punched him in the nuts twice.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Post#13 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

2Mas wrote:But saying he might start is just more softness. Do it & face the punish & get the respect, or shut up & take it.

That's the problem. Griffin is afraid of the punishment that goes with retaliating. If he did do it, his nice-guy image would be ruined. He would even get traded. This actually happened to Ron Artest, the Malice At The Palace incident.

But now I can tell you the cause of not wanting to fight. His father told him. From the Los Angeles Times

L.A. Times wrote:Later, Tommy, who coached Blake and his older brother Taylor in high school, talked about Blake's rookie season. He may not have been surprised but was impressed how Griffin handled taking hard fouls and some cheap shots in his first NBA season.

They had covered that ground when Blake played college basketball at Oklahoma.

"I told him, there's going to be some people that are going after you to get you," Tommy said. "When Taylor graduated, we had a private moment. All the really bad things… Welcome to Taylor's world. They're going to happen to you. Don't fall for it [and retaliate]. Don't let them win.'"

And another from Reuters, via The Chicago Tribune:

Chicago Tribune wrote:Blake Griffin said he frequently fought his older brother Taylor as a kid. Taylor Griffin used to knock him around on the basketball court, and Blake would often retaliate.

Blake Griffin responds differently now.

"When I was little and I would play my older brother and he was whipping me and I couldn't do anything, I used to fight," Griffin said. "I used to get mad, I used to grab him, I used to swing on him, I used to do all of this stuff.

"Now, it's not really that frustrating. You just take it as another tactic and you move on. Sometimes that's what it comes down to."
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Have you guys seen the thread about this fight in the General Discussion?

Not a surprise. From what I can tell from years of lurking, the General Board is a cesspool. Unless you're a fan of a "small-market" team (i.e. Grizzlies, Warriors, Pacers) or a historic bandwagon team (i.e. Lakers, Bulls, Celtics) you might as well just avoid it entirely if you don't want to read saltiness and blind hate.
clip set
Junior
And1: 402

Post#15 » by clip set » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:37 am

He doesn't need to straight up get in a fight or clock somebody, but it would help if he started dishing out some hard fouls himself. That'd be the most reasonable way to push back without exposing himself to unavoidable ejections and suspensions. It might create more tension, but so would getting into altercations. At least he could put other players on notice that they'd get it back on the other end if they come at him.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#16 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 am

clip set wrote:He doesn't need to straight up get in a fight or clock somebody, but it would help if he started dishing out some hard fouls himself. That'd be the most reasonable way to push back without exposing himself to unavoidable ejections and suspensions. It might create more tension, but so would getting into altercations. At least he could put other players on notice that they'd get it back on the other end if they come at him.

he can't do that. the hard-foulee is not supposed to be the dude dishing back out hard fouls to the hard-foulor because the hard-foulor is usually trash and not worthy of it.

it truly is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

you foul trash hard in retaliation? ha ha, we got in his head.
you fight? what a POS flopper. now he wants to fight people for normal hard fouls?
square up to fight but don't fight? fake tough guy.
walk away? soft punk. everybody in the league who isn't from the suburbs and has a mean scowl all of a sudden has a black belt in street fighting and you were right to not try and fight them.

the only true solace Griffin has is to just be himself and nothing other than that....that includes picking one of the above options (i dunno if there are any more than that) and accepting the criticism for it.

but fouling people hard back?....not a good look for him or the league to have their stars fouling hard back.

oh and just in case people don't think he's ever done that.
this was a response to a hard foul from Trevor earlier in the game.
More context: Blake had received a number of hard fouls that year....this was one of his first responses ever.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-qHDsvRRc[/youtube]
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#17 » by NBAfan3024 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 am

Blake saying this means teams will try and wind him up even more now.
clip set
Junior
And1: 402

Post#18 » by clip set » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
clip set wrote:He doesn't need to straight up get in a fight or clock somebody, but it would help if he started dishing out some hard fouls himself. That'd be the most reasonable way to push back without exposing himself to unavoidable ejections and suspensions. It might create more tension, but so would getting into altercations. At least he could put other players on notice that they'd get it back on the other end if they come at him.

he can't do that. the hard-foulee is not supposed to be the dude dishing back out hard fouls to the hard-foulor because the hard-foulor is usually trash and not worthy of it.

it truly is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

you foul trash hard in retaliation? ha ha, we got in his head.
you fight? what a POS flopper. now he wants to fight people for normal hard fouls?
square up to fight but don't fight? fake tough guy.
walk away? soft punk. everybody in the league who isn't from the suburbs and has a mean scowl all of a sudden has a black belt in street fighting and you were right to not try and fight them.

the only true solace Griffin has is to just be himself and nothing other than that....that includes picking one of the above options (i dunno if there are any more than that) and accepting the criticism for it.

but fouling people hard back?....not a good look for him or the league to have their stars fouling hard back.

oh and just in case people don't think he's ever done that.
this was a response to a hard foul from Trevor earlier in the game.
More context: Blake had received a number of hard fouls that year....this was one of his first responses ever.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-qHDsvRRc[/youtube]

I get your point, but it's kind of a self perpetuating cycle. If everyone assumes that the Matt Barnes types are supposed to be the only ones getting physical and precluding everyone else, it's really only like that for its own sake. Other than not wanting to risk flagrants or technicals, there's nothing inherently wrong with good players pushing back.

It's not like these are all scrubs that are coming down on Blake either. He's getting tied up/cheap shotted/fouled hard by Ibaka and Bogut types as much as anyone else.

All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with him dishing out some hard fouls of his own because that's basically the only feasible way he can brush other players back at this point. It's not a perfect solution, but neither is taking a beating even if he does still play to his standards in spite of it. Who cares what people say as long as it deters some of the contact that's getting under his skin and doesn't constitute an explicit violation that'll get him suspended
mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#19 » by mike3 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 am

Whoever said he needs to do hard fouls back, that Ariza example is perfect. I'd much rather him take out a few players that way (so what if he gets an unsportsman like, better than a suspension)

I'd love Blake to retaliate THAT way, still show's you're not gonna take crap from players, just shows you're not out to fight, but you'll hit hard on the basketball court.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#20 » by mttwlsn16 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Return to Los Angeles Clippers