ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Wrong With Blake?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

What's Wrong With Blake? 

Post#1 » by KyletheDingbat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Is he injured? Anyone have the inside scoop? It goes beyond all his jump shooting; he's just clearly not the same guy. He looks like he's lost half a foot at least on his vert, he's passive, his quickness has dulled, he's timid going for rebounds... I've never seen him like this. Cause to be concerned?
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Re: What's Wrong With Blake? 

Post#2 » by LACtdom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:10 am

I have noticed that if he makes a break up court and there is one defender near the rim he will stop and pass to a play maker where as before he would drive to the basket with footwork.
RiversideClips
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#3 » by RiversideClips » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm

i think it has to do w/ Matt lienhart's ex or Blake's Baby's Momma taking a big chunk out of his paycheck and he isn't there mentally yet. That girl is smart, 2 babies, 2 Daddy Athletes and a ton of monthly income and to boot she comes from a well off family.
mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#4 » by mike3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 pm

RiversideClips wrote:i think it has to do w/ Matt lienhart's ex or Blake's Baby's Momma taking a big chunk out of his paycheck and he isn't there mentally yet. That girl is smart, 2 babies, 2 Daddy Athletes and a ton of monthly income and to boot she comes from a well off family.

I can't tell if this is a serious comment. You think it's something to do with the real world? If so that makes sense. Mental stuff can change a lot for athletes etc. Hopefully it passes soon cause so far this season I hate seeing Blake like this.
RiversideClips
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#5 » by RiversideClips » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:05 am

of course my comment is serious. Has CLIPPER Nation ever seen the child? Does he talk about his baby? There has to be something going on especially that Barnes is feeling not having his twins around , but CP3 has Little Chris. I think this is the problem, he will work it out.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#6 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:53 am

well first of all I think it's potentially about his health. remember he had broken a piece of his vertebrae at the end of last season? even tho the clipper brass down played it it surely was from all the stress he puts on his body from high energy, high impact leaping and landing. but after seeing him in that one game where he was as physical as ever, not too sure if injury concern is really there or not.

mike3 wrote:
RiversideClips wrote:i think it has to do w/ Matt lienhart's ex or Blake's Baby's Momma taking a big chunk out of his paycheck and he isn't there mentally yet. That girl is smart, 2 babies, 2 Daddy Athletes and a ton of monthly income and to boot she comes from a well off family.

I can't tell if this is a serious comment. You think it's something to do with the real world? If so that makes sense. Mental stuff can change a lot for athletes etc. Hopefully it passes soon cause so far this season I hate seeing Blake like this.

i gave and1 for both of riverside's posts because this is something i never given any thought about, but if something personal is going on with the baby momma, it can impact a man's work greatly. as a father of two I can definitely vouch for this.

but the question remains, not that a man can be affected by his personal issues involving his child, but is it really about his child or a personal life at all that is slowing his performance down...

in the end I think it is more likely that he has yet to figure out how to put it all together. I think OG has mentioned that same sentiment before too. he wants to prove to the rest of the league that he has a mid range J and they should respect it, but it hasn't fully arrived yet. Frankly I want the old bullish Blake back. and I want that Bullish Blake to surprise the opposition with that mid range J when he gets tired and/or when we have a great deal of lead to catch the other team off guard when they are giving him that shot, rather than using that mid range J as his primary weapon which clearly is not. even if that was his weapon, everybody knows a long 2 is the worst shot to take in NBA.
ehhhhh f it.
mike3
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by mike3 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 4:49 am

Good thing is Blake knows he needs to attack more/mix up the J's and drives. I've read multiple quotes with him acknowledging that he doesn't want to fall in the trap of taking too many jumpshots. Plus I think we're all forgetting its only 15 games into a very long season. He'll work it out I hope.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by LACtdom » Mon Dec 1, 2014 1:37 pm

His FT% is greatly improved which is why i'm always in favour of him battling in the paint and attacking the basket.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#9 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:37 pm

LACtdom wrote:His FT% is greatly improved which is why i'm always in favour of him battling in the paint and attacking the basket.

Indeed
amcfad27
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,564

Post#10 » by amcfad27 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 6:49 pm

Settling for too many jumpers. Attack the basket, that's what makes you good...
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:06 pm

WC Player of the Week.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mike3
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by mike3 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 11:02 am

I was reading this article on Bleacher Report (not always reliable)

asked if Blake has decreased this season or still improving, I say it's an easy decrease.

But then it put out this scenario that he's battling injury as he has a lot of his career, he's lost a bit of explosiveness due to this reason, and he's settling for jumpers because of this. Anyway it went on like that, saying could his prime be ending at 25 and all this, I think it's just being blown out of proportion but it still got me thinking, what if this is actually the case? why isn't he dunking/attacking like he used to? why doesn't he play with as much energy as last year? why are his numbers down?

I tend to stress too much when it comes to Clippers but please convince me otherwise fellas haha.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#13 » by QRich3 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 12:27 pm

lol don't you worry, it's the beginning of December still. People love to point at all sorts of knee-jerk factoids that confirm their bias, like everyone was pointing at us at the start of the season as if we were going to struggle to make the playoffs. Like Warriors fans clog up this board with threads every day screaming for attention at how good they are now, and I guess like that Bleacher Report guy is doing with Blake. Again, it's November and we have a good record for the way we've been playing, Blake has good numbers for the way he's been playing, and as we learned a couple of seasons ago, there's no sense in peaking in December. I'd rather we have problems at the start of the season, we work through them as the season unfolds and we're peaking in April than the opposite. As long as he's healthy, Blake's gonna be alright, and the Clippers will too. No need to panic at all.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 3, 2014 4:28 pm

QRich3 wrote:lol don't you worry, it's the beginning of December still. People love to point at all sorts of knee-jerk factoids that confirm their bias, like everyone was pointing at us at the start of the season as if we were going to struggle to make the playoffs. Like Warriors fans clog up this board with threads every day screaming for attention at how good they are now, and I guess like that Bleacher Report guy is doing with Blake. Again, it's November and we have a good record for the way we've been playing, Blake has good numbers for the way he's been playing, and as we learned a couple of seasons ago, there's no sense in peaking in December. I'd rather we have problems at the start of the season, we work through them as the season unfolds and we're peaking in April than the opposite. As long as he's healthy, Blake's gonna be alright, and the Clippers will too. No need to panic at all.

Nah bro.

you're completely wrong.
by the time April comes around, I'm still gonna be upset with our Nov. 10 loss to the Spurs and our Nov. 17th loss to the injured Bulls.

Vinny years we had a 17 GWS in december
Warriors had a 10 GWS last December thru the new year.

those were early and premature

today is December effin 2nd.
lmao at anybody panicking on the Clippers or crowning the Warriors at this point….or panicking on Blake.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mike3
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by mike3 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 9:27 pm

You're both right. Guess I'm just pissed at the way Blake is playing and the lack of unbelievable plays we're used to seeing from him haha.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by LACtdom » Wed Dec 3, 2014 9:57 pm

As much as we hate to admit it, GS and Memphis are good and currently playing better bball than us. The good news is that we are on the rise and drastically improving from the junk we looked like at the start of the season. I agree that it is too early to predict who will be at the top come end of season. We've spent all our money on CP3/ Blake/ DJ and have tried to find a supporting cast who fit. A large part of our success will depend on Blake. We know what we are going to get from CP, however this year Blake's box score has become a bit more sporadic.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#17 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 4, 2014 3:29 am

great win by the Grizz tonight.

much impress. :o
KyletheDingbat
Veteran

Post#18 » by KyletheDingbat » Thu Dec 4, 2014 8:11 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomRsvleums[/youtube]

When will this guy be back? Check out that block at 1:45. YOWZA! Remember that feeling you used to get whenever Blake was in the game that something truly shocking could happen at any moment? NO ONE has put the league on notice in that way since Vince Carter. Not even Lebron. I want that Blake back!

But all things must pass away. Maybe he's graduated from phenom to being truly good. Maybe he'll never punch one on Pau Gasol again, but he'll make a nice drop step into a hook over him. Sigh. I'd honestly trade 10% of our team success for the thrill of watching Blake do things I'd never seen before. That last sentence is probably not actually true but it gets the sentiment across.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#19 » by QRich3 » Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:37 pm

KyletheDingbat wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomRsvleums[/youtube]

When will this guy be back? Check out that block at 1:45. YOWZA! Remember that feeling you used to get whenever Blake was in the game that something truly shocking could happen at any moment? NO ONE has put the league on notice in that way since Vince Carter. Not even Lebron. I want that Blake back!

But all things must pass away. Maybe he's graduated from phenom to being truly good. Maybe he'll never punch one on Pau Gasol again, but he'll make a nice drop step into a hook over him. Sigh. I'd honestly trade 10% of our team success for the thrill of watching Blake do things I'd never seen before. That last sentence is probably not actually true but it gets the sentiment across.

I wouldn't! As nice and exciting as it is to see him jump around and dunk all over people, I'd much rather have last year's version of Blake who is more poised and makes the correct play everytime, and knows how to take advantage of his own skills. Glad Paul's playing style has rubbed off on him.

We are playing great right now, and even though it's been against inferior opponents, we've been crushing them and giving them no chance. And some of those inferior teams have recently surprised teams that are above us in the standings. We have now a good test of where we're at, we play the Pelicans and the Suns and then we go on a mini road trip against some of the best defensive teams in the East. If we could come back with a 4-1 or a 5-0 record, I don't wanna hear any more about us playing bad. Even 3-2 would be ok I guess.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran

Post#20 » by KyletheDingbat » Thu Dec 4, 2014 4:26 pm

QRich3 wrote:
KyletheDingbat wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomRsvleums[/youtube]

I wouldn't! As nice and exciting as it is to see him jump around and dunk all over people, I'd much rather have last year's version of Blake who is more poised and makes the correct play everytime, and knows how to take advantage of his own skills. Glad Paul's playing style has rubbed off on him.

We are playing great right now, and even though it's been against inferior opponents, we've been crushing them and giving them no chance. And some of those inferior teams have recently surprised teams that are above us in the standings. We have now a good test of where we're at, we play the Pelicans and the Suns and then we go on a mini road trip against some of the best defensive teams in the East. If we could come back with a 4-1 or a 5-0 record, I don't wanna hear any more about us playing bad. Even 3-2 would be ok I guess.

Yeah last years Blake was definitely the best of the Blakes. But he was still doing that crazy stuff, much more so than he did during the 12-13 season even.

He also may have learned that for every Mosgov he gives someone he gets 10 flagrant fouls in return, so maybe he's cooled his jets a little. For a reasonable comp, Amare stopped punching it on everyone around year 5, though that was also when he came back from micro fracture. Maybe there's a 3 year window for superdunkers to go Peter Pan before they wise up and become Cpt. Hooks.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers