ImageImageImageImageImage

Has Blake Already Lost Some of His Athleticism?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Has Blake Already Lost Some of His Athleticism? 

Post#21 » by mkwest » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:19 am

mike3 wrote:I think all in all we as fans just want an answer as to why he looks pretty poor this season (for his standards). We can debate all we want but I wish Clippers would release a statement if he was battling an injury or whatever it may be.

If there were an injury that was announced to the public, that would make it easier for his opponents to exploit.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#22 » by LACtdom » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:37 pm

I really like it when Doc played Blake 40+ minutes. Blake didn't look fatigued and a lot of the time he just stood on the court as a threat allowing our bench unit to run plays easier. He seemed more patient.
LoneyROY
Veteran
And1: 2,972

Post#23 » by LoneyROY » Thu Jan 1, 2015 1:15 am

Blake needs to find a way around the new HGH testing.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#24 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 1, 2015 1:57 am

I think it's been fairly evident that since his second year, blake's been willing to sublimate his game for the sake of re-inventing himself. This year's not really different, except he's doing it for the sake of long-term self preservation. Getting into the playoffs with major injuries hasn't done anything for him so I like his more toned down approach.

Of course I'm just speculating, but I'd like to think I'm more reasonable than people who think he's lost a foot off his vertical or that he's missed his steroids cycle.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Post#25 » by KyletheDingbat » Thu Jan 1, 2015 6:21 am

nickhx2 wrote:I think it's been fairly evident that since his second year, blake's been willing to sublimate his game for the sake of re-inventing himself. This year's not really different, except he's doing it for the sake of long-term self preservation. Getting into the playoffs with major injuries hasn't done anything for him so I like his more toned down approach.

Of course I'm just speculating, but I'd like to think I'm more reasonable than people who think he's lost a foot off his vertical or that he's missed his steroids cycle.

I don't want to think he's lost a foot off his vertical, I'd just like to see a play where he gets more than a foot closer to his highest leaps from last year. His best highlight has been that dunk in Phoenix and his head was closer to the bottom of the net than the rim. He'd regularly get head high to the rim every other year of his career.

Blake has 37 dunks in 33 games so far. He had 176 in 82 games last year, so he's getting less than half the dunks he got last year. I'm sad! SAD!
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#26 » by mttwlsn16 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:57 am

he will be fine
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Blake-esque 

Post#27 » by Ranma » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:18 pm

Maybe it all got transferred to this kid.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
LoneyROY
Veteran

Post#28 » by LoneyROY » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:44 am

KyletheDingbat wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:I think it's been fairly evident that since his second year, blake's been willing to sublimate his game for the sake of re-inventing himself. This year's not really different, except he's doing it for the sake of long-term self preservation. Getting into the playoffs with major injuries hasn't done anything for him so I like his more toned down approach.

I don't want to think he's lost a foot off his vertical, I'd just like to see a play where he gets more than a foot closer to his highest leaps from last year. His best highlight has been that dunk in Phoenix and his head was closer to the bottom of the net than the rim. He'd regularly get head high to the rim every other year of his career.

Blake has 37 dunks in 33 games so far. He had 176 in 82 games last year, so he's getting less than half the dunks he got last year. I'm sad! SAD!

You're right. I wish you weren't, but based on what we've seen this season it's true.

Look at a dunk from just last season:

His head is ABOVE the rim.

Blake hasn't had a dunk this season come remotely close to this level of athleticism. And if it does have something to do with the HGH testing, I hope he finds a way to beat the test. Dead serious. I want Super Blake back.

Blake with his explosion/athleticism from last season paired with his jumper and passing from this season is UNSTOPPABLE. That guy would be battling Kevin Durant for best player in basketball.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Post#29 » by KyletheDingbat » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:03 am

LoneyROY wrote:
You're right. I wish you weren't, but based on what we've seen this season it's true.

Blake hasn't had a dunk this season come remotely close to this level of athleticism. And if it does have something to do with the HGH testing, I hope he finds a way to beat the test. Dead serious. I want Super Blake back.

Blake with his explosion/athleticism from last season paired with his jumper and passing from this season is UNSTOPPABLE. That guy would be battling Kevin Durant for best player in basketball.

I can't give you a big enough And 1 for this. I even agree about the HGH thing lol. I wanna see Monster Blake continue his journey. This Blake is like an impostor; he's like his own Kobe to his own Jordan.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#30 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:28 am

KyletheDingbat wrote:
LoneyROY wrote:

I can't give you a big enough And 1 for this. I even agree about the HGH thing lol. I wanna see Monster Blake continue his journey. This Blake is like an impostor; he's like his own Kobe to his own Jordan.

hmmm I still think it's got more to do with his past injuries but if PED issue is true, wishing him to be back on seems... irresponsible. I'm sure the chemicals have been advanced since his time, but anyone remember the name Lyle Alzado?
ehhhhh f it.
LoneyROY
Veteran

Post#31 » by LoneyROY » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:36 am

KyletheDingbat wrote:
LoneyROY wrote:

I feel the exact same way, man. I guess at this point we just have to hope for the best.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#32 » by LACtdom » Sat Jan 3, 2015 10:42 am

When you build a franchise around a young superstar you naturally assume he will keep progressing. Even if Blake has peaked (athletically), He is still a star and may just be in the ugly transition phase from Dunk Star to Dirk-like jump shooter + some post moves. I also think all will be forgiven if he is just saving his body for the playoffs.
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Post#33 » by kylem4711 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:20 pm

Neddy
RealGM

Post#34 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:24 pm

kylem4711 wrote:Article that I came across.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2286 ... -declining

i dunno man, that article does omit a couple of things to make his argument sound better.

for one, Blake is having the best season of his career in terms of passing. he is averaging 5 assists per game. maybe somebody can correct me if Im wrong, but the last player i remember who played PF and averaged 5 or more was one young Larry Bird. Larry was the Celtics' PF for the first 5 years or so until Kevin McHale was able to secure the starter's job. as a SF Larry went off even more as a point forward but as a PF, he is the last one that i can remember who averaged 5 or more assists per game.
secondly, by running our offense through him when CP is either on the bench or resting a bit, we seem to have some good options open up by having the ball in blake's hand. him being away from the basket while doing so, and having Doc's system, it's no wonder his offensive rebounding is down significantly. Im not happy with his steals being down, as it may indicate not loss of athleticism but loss of effort. but then again, I don't want to see blake hitting the floor hard on his back or shoulder. he is not going to be young forever and won't be able to bounce back every time.

I'm not completely happy with Blake's style of play right now, but I would take healthy Blake comes playoff time over fancy Blake who is hobbling.
ehhhhh f it.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#35 » by QRich3 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:50 pm

Neddy wrote:for one, Blake is having the best season of his career in terms of passing. he is averaging 5 assists per game. maybe somebody can correct me if Im wrong, but the last player i remember who played PF and averaged 5 or more was one young Larry Bird. Larry was the Celtics' PF for the first 5 years or so until Kevin McHale was able to secure the starter's job. as a SF Larry went off even more as a point forward but as a PF, he is the last one that i can remember who averaged 5 or more assists per game.
secondly, by running our offense through him when CP is either on the bench or resting a bit, we seem to have some good options open up by having the ball in blake's hand.

Agree, and that's one of the reasons I don't think we need Jamal's creating shots off the bench as much as people think. You have Blake and Redick who can run an offense when Paul is on the bench, and you can just have Paul spoonfeed baskets to the bench players when they're taking a rest.

Also, I think blake's able to showcase his playmaking this year in part because he's popping out more and catching the ball in the high post, and that's another side effect from wanting to take more shots from outside. So not everything is bad.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,047

Post#36 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Jan 3, 2015 9:56 pm

QRich3 wrote:
Neddy wrote:Larry was the Celtics' power forward for the first five years or so until Kevin McHale was able to secure the starter's job. As a small forward, Larry went off even more as a point forward but as a PF, he is the last one that I can remember who averaged 5 or more assists per game.

Also, I think Blake's able to showcase his play-making this year in part because he's popping out more and catching the ball in the high post, and that's another side effect from wanting to taking more shots from outside. So not everything is bad.

I've always considered Larry Bird as a pure small forward, but it looks as if even he had to become a dual forward over time. That might explain why there have been no talks of trades within the Clippers camp. But I'm not sure if Blake Griffin can become a dual forward before the February 21 trade deadline, when Doc may be forced to give up players he truly loves for positions of necessary need.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#37 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 3, 2015 10:02 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
QRich3 wrote:
Neddy wrote:Larry was the Celtics' power forward for the first five years or so until Kevin McHale was able to secure the starter's job. As a small forward, Larry went off even more as a point forward but as a PF, he is the last one that I can remember who averaged 5 or more assists per game.

Also, I think Blake's able to showcase his play-making this year in part because he's popping out more and catching the ball in the high post, and that's another side effect from wanting to taking more shots from outside. So not everything is bad.

I've always considered Larry Bird as a pure small forward, but it looks as if even he had to become a dual forward over time. That might explain why there have been no talks of trades within the Clippers camp. But I'm not sure if Blake Griffin can become a dual forward before the February 21 trade deadline, when Doc may be forced to give up players he truly loves for positions of necessary need.

you were probably born around the time Larry was in his prime.
ehhhhh f it.
ratrac
Sixth Man
And1: 706

Post#38 » by ratrac » Sun Jan 4, 2015 2:22 am

Neddy wrote:

i dunno man, that article does omit a couple of things to make his argument sound better.

for one, Blake is having the best season of his career in terms of passing. he is averaging 5 assists per game. maybe somebody can correct me if Im wrong, but the last player i remember who played PF and averaged 5 or more was one young Larry Bird. Larry was the Celtics' PF for the first 5 years or so until Kevin McHale was able to secure the starter's job. as a SF Larry went off even more as a point forward but as a PF, he is the last one that i can remember who averaged 5 or more assists per game.
secondly, by running our offense through him when CP is either on the bench or resting a bit, we seem to have some good options open up by having the ball in blake's hand. him being away from the basket while doing so, and having Doc's system, it's no wonder his offensive rebounding is down significantly. Im not happy with his steals being down, as it may indicate not loss of athleticism but loss of effort. but then again, I don't want to see blake hitting the floor hard on his back or shoulder. he is not going to be young forever and won't be able to bounce back every time.

I'm not completely happy with Blake's style of play right now, but I would take healthy Blake comes playoff time over fancy Blake who is hobbling.

Kevin Garnett did this for a couple of seasons (01-02, 02-03, 04-05), Antoine Walker (00-01 and 01-02), Chris Webber (02-03), Barkley (91-92), Anthony Mason (96-97), Lamar Odom (00-01, 01-02 and 05-06) and Boris Diaw (05-06). Nevertheless, it's still very impressive.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#39 » by Neddy » Sun Jan 4, 2015 10:32 pm

ratrac wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Kevin Garnett did this for a couple of seasons (01-02, 02-03, 04-05), Antoine Walker (00-01 and 01-02), Chris Webber (02-03), Barkley (91-92), Anthony Mason (96-97), Lamar Odom (00-01, 01-02 and 05-06) and Boris Diaw (05-06). Nevertheless, it's still very impressive.

good job! thanks for correcting my error. i had a suspicion that i was probably missing a few.

out of that list tho, Anthony Mason is a surprise.
ehhhhh f it.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#40 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 5, 2015 8:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I'm not even trying to be a "doomsday poster." Blake is my favorite player on the team, I'm just at a loss to explain the sudden and sharp decline in his game. He went from being a beast with a nonstop motor who just needed some refined skills in his rookie year to being a soft perimeter chucker who never shows up against good teams now. It makes no sense.

Ideally Blake would expand his inside game and become a great back to basket player, then I think we would have seen him expand his game without any negative or mixed side effects. But I don't think his footwork is there, and it just doesn't seem to match his body type and the type of athlete he is. Plus his arms are short and his hands seem somewhat small, I guess he's like the anti-Elton Brand (in good and bad ways.)

So he's done it by expanding his midrange game. Which is fine, I'm glad he's putting in the work. But there are plenty of good midrange shooters so he's not unique when doing it, plus it takes him away from the basket, so the overall impact can be mixed.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers