Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Clipper 2015 Offseason 

Post#321 » by Forte IV » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:don't worry, guys. doc is the ultimate in getting the maximum out of untapped player potential.

wes johnson, gerald green, and lance stephenson. future 3 and D all-stars!

I know you're being sarcastic but he is the reason DeAndre got better.

Not really. He inflated DJ's stats by not sitting him in the fourth quarter like Vinny did or making him come off the bench like Dunleavy did. It's not like DJ magically got a post game, a jump shot, free throw shooting, or the ability to guard skilled bigs like Horford or Gasol.

DJ wouldn't have led the league in rebounds with Vinny. Stop with your hate for once and actually acknowledge truth.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#322 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:49 pm

Forte IV wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
I know you're being sarcastic but he is the reason DeAndre got better.

Not really. He inflated DJ's stats by not sitting him in the fourth quarter like Vinny did or making him come off the bench like Dunleavy did. It's not like DJ magically got a post game, a jump shot, free throw shooting, or the ability to guard skilled bigs like Horford or Gasol.

DJ wouldn't have led the league in rebounds with Vinny. Stop with your hate for once and actually acknowledge truth.

He was top 25 in rebounds in 2011-12 under Vinny despite not getting to play in fourth quarters. He was averaging more boards than guys like Tristan Thompson and Omer Asik who are known for their rebounding. When adjusted to rebounds per 48 minutes, he averaged more rebounds than guys like Tyson Chandler and Al Jefferson.

Again, Doc gave him more volume, but that's about it. If he thinks he can carry a team or even be a second option and take on more of an offensive load, he's delusional and his contract is going to look even worse than it already does.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#323 » by Forte IV » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:53 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:He was top 25 in rebounds in 2011-12 under Vinny despite not getting to play in fourth quarters. He was averaging more boards than guys like Tristan Thompson and Omer Asik who are known for their rebounding. When adjusted to rebounds per 48 minutes, he averaged more rebounds than guys like Tyson Chandler and Al Jefferson.

Again, Doc gave him more volume, but that's about it. If he thinks he can carry a team or even be a second option and take on more of an offensive load, he's delusional and his contract is going to look even worse than it already does.

Asik known for rebounding in 11-12? Maybe by his per 36 numbers. Tristan Thompson has only recently been known for his rebounding. Before he was simply a hustle guy who averaged less then 10 with starters minutes.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#324 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:09 pm

kylem4711 wrote:its getting kinda sad. People are signing stars and we are reaching out to Willie Green, Caron Butler, and Jeremy Lin.

Those are the only guys we can afford right now.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#325 » by Forte IV » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:17 pm

Chandler to Phoenix. Maybe they'll want to do a sign-and-trade with Brandan Wright

EDIT: Nvm Suns must renounce Wright to sign Chandler
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#326 » by Hadley » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:21 pm

Whoever loses the Deandre Race now is pretty much ****. I expected DAL to S&T Chandler to the Clippers if Deandre joins the Mavs and if not, just re-sign Chandler. Now, its all or nothing. :o
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#327 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:32 pm

Hadley wrote:Whoever loses the Deandre Race now is pretty much ****. I expected DAL to S&T Chandler to the Clippers if Deandre joins the Mavs and if not, just re-sign Chandler. Now, its all or nothing. :o

Yeah we're pretty much screwed if he leaves. This is why I wanted to wait to trade Hawes, in case DJ left we still had someone. So if DJ leaves maybe we can trade Jamal for a big.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#328 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:47 pm

We're not screwed at all if DJ leaves. Our salary-cap woes are done with starting next summer if he walks.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#329 » by Forte IV » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:55 pm

With Amir Johnson heading to Boston I could see Bass leaving
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#330 » by QRich3 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:01 pm

Hadley wrote:Whoever loses the Deandre Race now is pretty much ****. I expected DAL to S&T Chandler to the Clippers if Deandre joins the Mavs and if not, just re-sign Chandler. Now, its all or nothing. :o

At least you'll have capspace to get whatever peanuts are in the table tomorrow...
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Post#331 » by kylem4711 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:11 pm

holy crud man. clippers aren't getting anything.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,059

Post#332 » by og15 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:25 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:We're not screwed at all if DJ leaves. Our salary-cap woes are done with starting next summer if he walks.

Next summer is a fairly un-inspiring summer of free agents outside of KD. So unless the Clippers have somehow or will somehow become his favored destination, and his foot issues aren't worse than presumed, then the Clippers will have to make some signings and be back in the world of salary cap woes. Considering Carroll got $15 million, Green about $10 million, etc.

Al Horford is probably a guy you would have to spend the lower max to get next off-season. Outside of him you have Hibbert who would command a similar amount, of course we're assuming the Clippers are somehow convincing them to leave their teams who will likely be good teams. At SF, I think the best bet is Batum, but Charlotte will likely give him a sizable contract, so again, depends on him. After that, I'm not sure there's anyone specifically exciting. You have guys like Chandler, J.Green etc who you will likely have to give about $13 million a year themselves.

If the Clippers don't like their options, then the team either has to fill out the roster with the good but not necessarily "high" impact FA players on larger short contracts. Overpay a guy for one year so that you can give him a team option for year 2, then jump back into the market in 2017. You don't want to essentially waste two seasons in Blake and Paul's prime's chasing after cap space and "potential" signings.

So we do have to also consider the downside of not really getting much from this off-season, it's not going to necessarily be easy peasy to just fix it all. Now, the cap space does open up some trade avenues that the Clippers could work with, so there are options, but certainly no guarantees.

-----------------

In terms of this off-season, Clippers are over the cap even without DJ. The cap is projected up to $69 million, Clippers will have like $71 million or something in contracts. This gives the MLE, but if that is used, Clippers are hard capped, but the team should be well off, I think the hard cap number will go up to about $88 million.

Probably harder to get a competent C for the minimum than a competent enough SF. So Biyombo for MLE, probably have to re-sign Austin, minimum players for the most part, then hope to trade Crawford for a useful player.

Paul / Redick / ???? / Griffin / Biyombo

Watson? / Rivers / Stephenson / ???? / ????

Insert minimum player or guy Crawford is traded for. Maybe McGee is an option instead?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#333 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:45 pm

have to think that doc goes after javale mcgee to jasave some mcface. can't say i hate it at this point but i'd rather just tank the season if we lose dj.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#334 » by QRich3 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:01 pm

Tanking sounds like an idea if you could just flip a switch and do it, but realistically any D-League team with Paul and Blake is gonna be around 50 wins if they're healthy. Not very likely it happens.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#335 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:03 pm

DeAndre.

if you leave us, please lettuce S&T and get a pick for you…particularly if it's to the Mavs.
that team isn't all that.

We could use a pick in the teens.

or or or…
go to the Knicks.
we could use the lottery pick fam.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#336 » by Forte IV » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:11 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:DeAndre.

if you leave us, please lettuce S&T and get a pick for you…particularly if it's to the Mavs.
that team isn't all that.

We could use a pick in the teens.

or or or…
go to the Knicks.
we could use the lottery pick fam.

Unfortunately the Knicks don't have a lotto pick.

I think at the very least we should gets a trade exception for him. That will allow us to trade for someone. Maybe like Roy Hibbert (sigh) or something.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#337 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:47 pm

wright down. 3/18 to griz. damn they are kinda tough now.

gasol/wright/barnes/allen as good to great defenders.

they'll be scary once they add a real shooter to the lineup.
mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#338 » by mike3 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:24 am

nickhx2 wrote:wright down. 3/18 to griz. damn they are kinda tough now.

gasol/wright/barnes/allen as good to great defenders.

they'll be scary once they add a real shooter to the lineup.

Still can't believe Matt Barnes will play for Memphis, I'd imagine he dislikes them greatly :o

I can't see Jamal, Stephenson, and Austin all working together, as much as I love Jamal, hopefully we can trade Jamal for some big man depth/wing depth, David West is a name that's been thrown around.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Package Junior Rivers and Crawful for Something Useful 

Post#339 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:50 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/616297269562839040[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#340 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:10 am

who did it have to do with then lol

Return to Los Angeles Clippers