Lance Stephenson Opens Up: Hornets Fallout, Clippers Future and Big Contracts

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Lance Stephenson Opens Up: Hornets Fallout, Clippers Future and Big Contracts 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:32 pm

"He's got to shoot better, so it's focusing on making open shots in catch-and-shoots, coming off curl screens and one-to-two-dribble moves," said Andrew Moore, Impact's director of professional player development. "In that [Clippers] offense, there will be a lot of open shots on drives, kick-outs and swings. He's got a rare ability to be able to generate power without jumping; he can even shoot jump shots from half court and make it look effortless. The repetition now in training is just about getting his confidence back."

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/5FuHLIRUq1/[/instagram]

B/R: How did you first hear about the trade?

LS:
Just like this, (I was) working out (at Impact). And everybody in the gym was like, "Ooooh." They're like, "You're going to the Clippers." I was like, "What? Nah, let me check my phone." It was a surprise. I thought I was going to still be a Hornet. I was getting ready for the Hornets this year and out of nowhere I just heard I got traded. I'm very happy and blessed, and I think it's going to be a great year. Plus I'm in the West and they like to go up and down, and that's my type of game—grab the rebound and go and push it and find the open man. Just have fun.

B/R: How do you feel about starting or coming off the bench?

LS:
It doesn't matter, because it's all about winning—because on the Warriors, nobody cared about who was starting. It wasn't a one-man show; it was teamwork. Everybody was on the same page. It's not about who starts; it's about who finishes. If you finish a game and Coach trusts you on the floor, that's all that matters. I just want to win, so whatever it takes to win.

B/R: What was it like following the DeAndre Jordan saga?

LS:
When I heard he was leaving, I was about to cry. I'm like, "Come on, man." I get on a great team and then we lose one of the best big men in the league. So when he came back, I texted him, like, "We need you. We've got to get you back."

Jared Zwerling, Bleacher Report

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LAClippers/status/624242376639295488[/tweet]
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Re: Lance Stephenson Opens Up: Hornets Fallout, Clippers Future and Big Contracts 

Post#2 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:53 pm

it was an interesting read. kinda cringey though about him wanting to get all the rebounds though. i hope he can figure out how to do do that without tunnel visioning but i have doubts.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Lance Stephenson Opens Up: Hornets Fallout, Clippers Future and Big Contracts 

Post#3 » by Forte IV » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Hey after watching last year, I'm all for him hogging all the rebounds.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#4 » by BlzMwt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

nickhx2 wrote:it was an interesting read. kinda cringey though about him wanting to get all the rebounds though. i hope he can figure out how to do do that without tunnel visioning but i have doubts.

yea i read some analysis that a large percentage of the rebounds he grabbed in indiana were uncontested ones which inflated his numbers, probably a reason why hibbert's rebounds were so low for a big man as well.

hopefully there's no issues as the clipper philosophy apparently is to let DJ grab all the rebounds

i like his defensive mentality though
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#5 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm

honestly even if he is a stat whore, we haven't had a bench guy capable of snagging lots of rebounds since reggie evans, let alone a wing.

i'm sure most people remember but there were many distinct years where we had great rebounding only to be let down by our wings and guards who apparently thought rebounding might incur a virus. lance will do some good things for us on that end and hopefully him coming off the bench means he won't conflict with dj. blake will love playing with him regardless since there'll be less toll on his body throughout the season before he turns into playoff season god mode.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#6 » by mj_shoefanatic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 am

I hope he avg's a double double (10/10) off the bench.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mkwest » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:06 am

I welcome him wanting to put in an effort on the boards. Our 2-guards have been terrible rebounders over the years. Redick, Crawford, Green, Foye, Gordon, etc. are/were all pretty bad on the glass. Our 3's haven't been that much better. DJ and Blake are not going to pull down 30 boards a game. It has to be a team effort.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:25 am

gotta love this kid.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Bigger Expectations 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:26 am

I've never been a fan of Stephenson's and was fairly ambivalent when he was acquired. However, I've come around since then in now expecting him to make significant contributions for the team. At the time of the trade, I stated that the roster needed to be filled out more even if Paul Pierce signed on, which was even before DJ's initial intentions to depart for Dallas.

Not only did the Clips retain DeAndre Jordan and added the Truth, but they have packed the roster with depth. The current roster enables Doc to not place a heavy burden on Stephenson. Pierce, along with Paul and Griffin, will provide influential leadership. He's been working hard on and even acknowledged the importance of both improving and adapting his game to fit this team. While I make it a point to avoid him, I even agree with Stephen A. Smith when he said that this is practically Stephenson's last chance; if he can't play for Doc, there is little chance another team would give him the benefit of the doubt as a player to be counted upon.

I also agree that, regardless of his motivations, the Clippers could definitely use more rebounding from the wing position given our history of lackluster production in that area. The only thing that still needs to be done to prevent interference towards giving him a legitimate shot to acclimating to his new teammates and role would be the trading of Jamal Crawford. With so many new faces with roles to be determined, we can't really afford the time and resources to waste on a player who does not look to be in the long-term or even postseason plans of the team moving forward.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#10 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:25 pm

i'm pretty sure lance will be fine. his problems in charlotte stemmed from injuries, an unsettled role, and a mismatch with his teammates.

the clips will have far better spacing, far better synergy (the main thing guys like josh smith and austin rivers need is someone to take the ball out of their hands), and some very strong voices who can make him play to his potential.

oh yeah and it's virtually a contract year. i expect him to do well.
Ranma
RealGM

Lance Hangin' with the Turtles 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:48 am

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/5nfB66JGH2/[/instagram]
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/5nn8aYpGH5/[/instagram]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#12 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 am

those level boards seem pretty dope.

when would i use one?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:37 am

For a guy who has been a bit up and down in his career, he has some of the best highlight clips on Youtube. If he could ever get himself and his game collected, he is so smooth...
wassuphomeboy
Junior
And1: 236

Post#14 » by wassuphomeboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:12 am

Lance is misunderstood, he wants to do well, and Doc will help him buy into the team concept like he did on the Celtics. Not worried at all.
I root for players always, organizations sometimes.

I don't know how I'm ever going to forgive the Clippers' new front office.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mkwest » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 am

Stephenson Sees Right Pieces To Win A Ring

The middle of July is like Groundhog Day for Stephenson, who’s developed a daily ritual: Go to the gym at 10:30 a.m., stretch, get on the court, move around, shoot, play 1-on-1 against the players he’s working out with – which on July 20 happens to be Dahntay Jones and C.J. Watson – go upstairs, lift, return to the court, shoot more. Wake up and repeat, with minor tweaks each day.

Of course, the one main difference from the start of Stephenson’s workouts to now is the team he’s getting ready to play for when the 2015-16 season begins.

“I’m very excited,” Stephenson said. “I think we’ve got the pieces that can get us our ring. You’ve got coach (Doc) Rivers behind us. I think the sky’s the limit for us. We’ve got the talent, we’ve got the vets.”

Las Vegas’ Impact Basketball gym has been a popular offseason destination for many NBA stars looking to develop their training and conditioning. Walk into the gym, and Stephenson’s name hangs on a banner in between the names of John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins, who are among the many notable names to have gone through that gym.

If Stephenson can be mentioned among those names during the 2015-16 season, he knows it’ll be all worth it.

“I feel like this year I’m putting a lot of stuff behind. I’m grinding, and just a lot of positive stuff,” Stephenson said. “I’m just coming in the gym having fun, putting fun back into the game.”

Rowan Kavner, Clippers.com
Ranma
RealGM

Born Ready: Deadbeat Dad? 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 4, 2015 1:45 am

Christina Carrega-Woodby New York Daily News (9/3/15)
The exes, Stephenson and Feby Torres, both 24, were in Brooklyn Family Court Thursday, squabbling over how much the stay-at-home mom is entitled out of Stephenson’s $9 million salary from last season, as well as a base $9 million salary next season.

Torres is aiming for $12,000 a month and wants her ex-beau to help her move out of Chauncey St. in Bedford Stuyvesant.

NBA star Lance Stephenson in Brooklyn Court Over Child Support Battle with Ex – Who Wants $12K a Month
McAdoo
Junior
And1: 44

Post#17 » by McAdoo » Fri Sep 4, 2015 2:45 pm

Damn Lance, already with the Baby mama drama :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#18 » by Forte IV » Fri Sep 4, 2015 5:24 pm

Ehh if its the daughter he always shows on instagram he's not a dead beat dad. Just an ex who see's and opportunity to cash in.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM

Return to Los Angeles Clippers