ImageImageImageImageImage

Will I get to see CJ Wilcox this year in a Clipper Uniform?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Will I get to see CJ Wilcox this year in a Clipper Uniform? 

Post#61 » by Forte IV » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 am

Something about that logo looks.... strange to me
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Talk About a Half-@$$ed Job 

Post#62 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:24 am

Forte IV wrote:Something about that logo looks.... strange to me

I noticed it too. They just removed the top half of the Hornets' logo and left the butt half (with stinger intact) while keeping the letter font and tweaking the color scheme a little. Talk about minimal effort. They must have gone to Gillian Zucker for design advice.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#63 » by nickhx2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:27 am

i like it. besides, still better than our logo.
Ranma
RealGM

Dawson Back to the D-League 

Post#64 » by Ranma » Mon Jan 4, 2016 1:20 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/clipperblog/status/683819081020125185[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/683820771626496000[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#65 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 1:31 am

i wonder if this means blake's progressing to readiness soon.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#66 » by QRich3 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 4:41 pm

Doc should just waive Wilcox and look into getting Elijah Millsap on a 10 day contract, who's just been released from the Jazz but is a really good guard defender.
Ranma
RealGM

Doc's Doghouse Gang 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 7, 2016 10:07 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Trisity_/status/685163720859729920[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/685163959138189312[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Russo Answers His Own Question 

Post#68 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 7, 2016 10:57 pm

Russo has been adamantly leading the call to play Josh Smith despite the fact that he's showing reasons why Smoove shouldn't be playing. I've said before that I'm not opposed to giving him another chance by playing him at PF with Cole Aldrich at C but I think Doc is in the right in this case in benching his butt. The team has been winning since his benching and it sends him and the rest of the team the right message.

Our win streak may be against lower-level competition but we're making progress on defense and doing more of playing the right way even if more work needs to be done. Personally, Smith is who he is; to expect him to have a light bulb go off in his head to stop playing lackadaisically is unrealistic. Dude is so perimeter-oriented that his shots on drives to the hoop are awfully awkward. Dude wants to be Kyle Korver when he's not anywhere close to being that effective.

Comparing him to D-Wade in 3-point accuracy to make the case for him makes little sense given the different styles and roles they respectively play. Plus, it only further drives home the point of how bad Smith really is. He's a lot worse than even notorious chucker Baron Davis and in the territory of Charles Barkley from beyond the arc. Josh Smith looks like a lost cause at this point.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/685165295950925824[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/685166569916256259[/tweet]
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#69 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 1:13 am

Well, we're making progress on defense for many reasons having nothing to do with josh smith's play. Having an actual C match up against opposing bigs is one, someone who can rebound and prevent us from getting blitzed all the time is another, getting paul pierce away from crawford yet another huge one. Playing against inferior competition is maybe the biggest reason. Smith was one of the team's best defenders until his benching and i believe his rim protection stats led the team. Was he crap on offense? Sure, but so was most everyone else off the bench.

And even then, who's to say that it wouldn't still be fine with smith's tendencies being mitigated by pablo? Let's be real here: austin and jamal (and smith) were all terrible on offense until pablo came in with aldrich to right the second unit. Now austin is scorching and jamal occasionally is not as bad. Meanwhile the entire second unit's offense has come together because it actually has a set function and structure. Smith's been tasked with doing things out of position as well without ANY structure and we've seen the results. If you don't put reins on a wild horse then you can't really expect him to do what you want. I'd say it's unfair for people to cite the bench unit's improved play as a function of smith/stephenson being benched. In fact, i'd say it's completely BS because it doesn't account for the myriad other factors that exist.

I imagine that when blake comes back and doc puts pierce back together with crawford, we're gonna see the same bleeding of points we used to see and forget all about any progression of defense the team's made. It's too bad because smith really should have the opportunity to play alongside a real center. And there's a real likelihood that the bench goes back to being dominated on defense and rebounds again when blake comes back, especially because pierce going back to the bench means phasing out wes johnson. Playing pierce/crawford/prigioni all at once seems like a certain death on defense.
Ranma
RealGM

Confirming Suspicions 

Post#70 » by Ranma » Fri Jan 8, 2016 11:48 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/684857231091744769[/tweet]
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#71 » by QRich3 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 11:50 am

Well, I think the same way you acknowledge that not everything that's going well right now is because Lance and Smith are on the bench, you'll have to acknowledge that when Blake comes back and things start going a little less well, it's not gonna be all because of Doc's rotations.

If you want to credit Austin's random hot streak and Pablo and Cole's strengths when the guys you like are not playing and things go well, I hope you're ready to account for the same things when Austin's shot inevitably comes back to earth and Pablo and Cole's weaknesses start to show against better teams, and not just get your hands in your head and start screamin at Doc for not playing exactly your favorite guys in your exact favorite line ups.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#72 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 6:08 pm

QRich3 wrote:Well, I think the same way you acknowledge that not everything that's going well right now is because Lance and Smith are on the bench, you'll have to acknowledge that when Blake comes back and things start going a little less well, it's not gonna be all because of Doc's rotations.

If you want to credit Austin's random hot streak and Pablo and Cole's strengths when the guys you like are not playing and things go well, I hope you're ready to account for the same things when Austin's shot inevitably comes back to earth and Pablo and Cole's weaknesses start to show against better teams, and not just get your hands in your head and start screamin at Doc for not playing exactly your favorite guys in your exact favorite line ups.

I'm not sure i understand your first statement clearly. Are you saying that when there are inevitable dips in team performance (even though we're playing more of the right guys) that now we can't cite rotations as an issue? Because if so I agree on one part in that there are always ebbs and flows, and an ebb will be coming at some point soon enough. I also would cite cole/pablo now being integrated as the basis of any arguments I made in favor of a rotational change, even though I'll be the first to admit I was far more fixated on reducing crawford and pierce's roles rather than increasing cole's/pablos.

I disagree in another part because again, I don't see how pierce/crawford/prigioni are going to handle anything on defense and rebounding but that's just a projection and i'm willing to withhold judgment on that. If they fail hard because of said issues then it becomes a rotation thing again. I will say though it's irritating if you truly believe that rotations were my only issues. I've said more than a few times that the team has weaknesses not having to do with such. And I've said more than once that just because I'm not as vocal about other issues doesn't mean they don't bother me.

This I think has a lot to do with your second statement. If anyone thought that I, and others who felt similarly to me, were looking for one magic bullet to save the team(i.e. better rotations), that is just not true. As such, when those guys' weaknesses inevitably start showing, those are things I'd have less gripes about. I care almost 100% about being on the right track and continued progress. To me, losing results in a vacuum hold far less weight if you feel your structure is solid. If more of the right guys are on the court and you've seen we can be good and get better with them, that is the overriding factor in everything.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#73 » by LACtdom » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:56 pm

I think Smith has unfairly been benched. I strongly believe that he is a PF and should be played alongside Cole. He has an incredible passing game for a big. Sure Smith CAN play C but doesn't mean it's his best position. JJ CAN play PG but if our team started losing you wouldn't think JJ was useless and should be benched. I dislike the excuse, "Yes he can defend but he can't shoot 3's so he shouldn't be on the floor". When we did play Smith at C, we normally played PP at PF (who historically can shoot 3's). If you really need all 5 players on the court to be 3-point threats then why do we play DJ? Your argument may be that DJ knows that he can't shoot 3's and therefore doesn't attempt them whereas Smith is trigger happy, which is quite acceptable but I put that onus on the coach. I think it's at least worth a try to put Cole and Smith together. Even though Smith doesn't have the range, he can still shoot long 2's similar to Blake's pick n pop.
Ranma
RealGM

Showcase for Trade? 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:48 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/685983310401519617[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bbnews_jp_bot/status/685929774192017408[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LAClippers/status/685987922592411648[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Doc Likes Wilcox Enough Not to Develop Him 

Post#75 » by Ranma » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/686262121902936064[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/686280158601326592[/tweet]
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#76 » by mkwest » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:10 am

D-League Trip Went Well For Wilcox

Wilcox played seven games for the Charge, getting 31.8 minutes per game and scoring 21 points each of his last two outings, including one matchup with six made 3-pointers.

“It went well,” Wilcox said. “The team was great, the staff was great. It’s always good to play.”

Wilcox said he expects to return to the D-League soon, but head coach Doc Rivers said he liked having Wilcox around whenever possible. Wilcox said part of the advantage of getting recalled is to be around the team so he’s not completely disconnected.

Rivers said he likes Wilcox’s development, and he credited the job general manager Dave Wohl and assistant general manager Gary Sacks have done in pinpointing places for Wilcox to go in the D-League where he’ll play and the style of play can translate to what he would be doing with the Clippers.

“They’ve done a great job of making sure they run stuff that we run, even though it’s not our team,” Rivers said. “That’s the most difficult part, and teams have done that. We’re really happy with it.”

“But for me personally, they put me into spots where I’m comfortable and similar spots where I’d play here,” Wilcox said. “It’s been great.”

Rowan Kavner, Clippers.com
Ranma
RealGM

Wilcox's 3-Point Shooting Percentage in the D-League 

Post#77 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rafael_uehara/status/690276294983028736[/tweet]
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#78 » by janmagn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:33 am

6 minutes, 4 points on 2-2 shooting against the Knicks. Box scores like, how about eye test?

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Dawson's Back 

Post#79 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Feb 1, 2016 2:10 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/693975977236393984[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Silver Working on Further Connecting NBDL to NBA 

Post#80 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:39 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/698689144466251776[/tweet]

Return to Los Angeles Clippers