ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 1 Game 3: LA Clippers (2) vs Portland Trail Blazers (0)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Who will win game 3?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:49 pm

LA Clippers
80%
Portland Trail Blazers
20%

Total votes: 10

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Why Even Bother with the Facade? 

Post#81 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 am

og15 wrote:
Dynamix wrote:It's ok guys, this loss just means an extra game for Blake to get in better shape for GS.

If we're trotting out lineups that can't rebound, Blake isn't in more than just "better shape", but in excellent shape, we're still doing full bench for 5 minutes, and Jeff Green is absolutely useless, we're not doing anything vs GS.

Plus, if we're going to roll over with lackluster effort with a throwaway game in a hostile environment, we might as well sit Redick in order for him to recuperate from his ailing heel. Basically, if we're going to go through the motions without competing as a team, why bother playing our guys who are hurt? Might as well play Paul Pierce for the entirety of the game while we're at it.

p.s. We had 7 votes in favor of winning tonight in the poll with 0 for losing before and during the game. Why do people bother voting for the loss option after-the-fact?
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Re: Failure To Sweep Could Be Their Demise 

Post#82 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:37 am

Quake Griffin wrote:The last time they relied on a fall back, they went to Houston in Game 5 and laid an egg. Nobody is a mind reader but it felt like they were saying, "it's all good. We got this in 6 at home." One of the more frustrating playoff games I've watched as a Clipper fan. IIRC, I think Ranma is the other guy who was equally as dissatisfied with me at their output in Game 5.

Game 6 will always be the signature choke game for this team but I smelled a rat in Game 5.
Just my take on that.

I chose the Grizzlies series as my fall back example because the Clippers had recently beaten Memphis a year before in the lockout playoffs. "If they can do it once, they can do it again" mantra. Had they beaten Memphis in their home floor for Game 3, it would have been an automatic series win, since no team ever recovers from a 3-0 deficit. It was only about two days ago that I finally learned about the Clippers never winning a series in a sweep. In hindsight, that first round exit and their missed opportunity to get Game 3 and either sweep or go into the second round looks even more worrisome.
Ranma
RealGM

Still in Disbelief 

Post#83 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:45 am

Quake Griffin wrote:IIRC, I think Ranma is the other guy who was equally as dissatisfied with me at their output in Game 5.

Oh, I was certainly upset with that effort, but it had less to do with fearing a collapse against the Rockets than unnecessarily taxing our players after the grueling series against the Spurs with Chris Paul ailing and Blake Griffin gassed. Admittedly, I was looking forward more towards our matchup with Golden State, but at the same time, I wanted us to focus on beating the Rockets as soon as possible. I said it throughout that series versus Houston that we were hurting ourselves the longer that series went on.

Another admission is that I couldn't fathom losing to a dysfunctional Rockets team lacking in leadership at the time and it resulted in one of the most historic choke jobs in sports. I still have a hard time believing it, but given the way Doc has conducted business and the attitudes of some of our key players, I guess it really shouldn't be that surprising.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Off-the-Charts Sarcasm 

Post#84 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 am

Maybe we're better off not going up 3-0 and risking making history again in shameful fashion. Plus, Tricky Dick Butcher (not a misspelling on my part) is conveniently ignoring that Paul arguably played better than Lilliard with less turnovers, more assists and steals tonight while putting up similar points and shooting similar percentages from the field and free-throw line. The difference was Lilliard had McCollum, Plumlee, and key contributions from his other teammates. Paul was practically alone and saddled with the monkey wrench that is DeAndre Jordan. Even 1-on-1, CP3 could school Dame at any and, dare I say, most moments.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/724110332797575168[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/724109658953142273[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/724109948121026561[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/724110166270988290[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Slacking on Effort Continues to Be Team Habit 

Post#85 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/724118284195393536[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/724119312147963905[/tweet]
DLaren
Pro Prospect
And1: 748

Re: Round 1 Game 3: LA Clippers (2) vs Portland Trail Blazers (0) 

Post#86 » by DLaren » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 am

4-seeds don't sweep 5-seeds...the Blazers did what they were supposed to do; win a home game.

You guys have had to hold-in all of your "I hate Doc & Jamal" posts for a couple weeks, so I guess you have to use this opportunity to get them all out now.

We'll take the next 2-games and move on to the second-round.
1.Jordan 2.Kareem 3.Lebron 4.Magic 5.Bird 6.Russell 7.Duncan 8.Wilt 9.Kobe 10.Shaq
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,290

Post#87 » by nickhx2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20 am

please.

this team is clearly superior to the blazers. it should have been a sweep because the clip's strengths are exactly what the blazer's weaknesses are.

it's just too bad the hole in doc's brain leads him to think that the all bench lineups somehow contribute anything other than risk of disaster
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#88 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20 am

Ric Bucher is a grade A ****.

In terms of this series though, this game really concerned me. When the Clips were up by 4 I really thought they were going to win. McCollum hit a really big shot there. If only it had missed. All hopes went out the window when JJ's 3 hit every part of the rim but just wouldn't go in. I really hope that the Clips win game 4. If they lose I'm very worried that they will lose 4 straight. It just seems like when the ball starts rolling down hill for the Clippers in the playoffs in the past couple of years that it just keeps going. The Spurs series was really the only exception.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#89 » by nickhx2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:22 am

not sure if he's an **** but he's definitely an idiot lol
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: Failure To Sweep Could Be Their Demise 

Post#90 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:25 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:The Clippers are still relying on security blankets. Even if the Clippers fail to achieve a 3-0 and automatic win, they'll have home court advantage in Game 5, then win in either Game 6 or 7. It's that feeling of insurance which is ruining their competitiveness.

The last time they clung on to fall backs, they got eliminated in the first round to the Grizzlies in 2013.

Let me remind you of the following:

1. The Paul-Griffin-Jordan Clippers have never won a series in less than seven games. All their series wins came in decisive fashion.
2. The Clippers have never won a series with a sweep.
3. The Brand-Cassell Clippers of 2006 are the only team in franchise history to win in less than seven. In the first round vs. the Nuggets, it took a mere five games.

Even as the Buffalo Braves, they still relied on a winner-take-all match to win the series. It was in the 1976 NBA Playoffs, winning against the Philadelphia 76ers 2-1, the equivalent of a 4-3.

This is incorrect.

The last time they relied on a fall back, they went to Houston in Game 5 and laid an egg. Nobody is a mind reader but it felt like they were saying, "it's all good. We got this in 6 at home." One of the more frustrating playoff games I've watched as a Clipper fan. IIRC, I think Ranma is the other guy who was equally as dissatisfied with me at their output in Game 5.

Game 6 will always be the signature choke game for this team but I smelled a rat in Game 5.
Just my take on that.

I predicted we were going to lose the series on the GB after seeing how the team came out in Game 5. Took a lot of **** for it until the fourth quarter of Game 6 and all of Game 7 happened.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they manage to blow this series, too. Clearly nothing's changed. Doc's still sticking with his terrible lineups, the players are still choking and vanishing in must-win games. Why should anyone expect a different result?
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: RE: Re: Round 1 Game 3: LA Clippers (2) vs Portland Trail Blazers (0) 

Post#91 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:03 am

og15 wrote:Well at least now if we want to re-sign Jeff Green we can bring him back for the minimum

This made me laugh
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#92 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Saw that we were close at the end, I really thought we would win game 3. Guess we'll have to win Monday.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#93 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:39 pm

The only bright side to the game 3 loss is that the Clippers can't become the first team ever to blow a 3-0 lead. They better win game 4 or else I'm going to get very nervous.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,139

Post#94 » by og15 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Now, though we all wanted staggered lineups, and certainly it should happen, it's not going to do much if Blake is playing this poorly.

We do still have to highlight that for 5 minutes last night we played: Rivers/Crawford/Pierce/Green/Aldrich, they were -7. Sadly for Pierce, any time he steps on the court, bad thing seem to happen.

Sadly for us as fans, Jeff Green is the most non-contributory guy ever. Isn't this guy on a contract year? I would imagine there would be some fire or something, but he's just floating around trying to figure out how he can play worse than last seasons playoffs.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#95 » by nickhx2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 pm

lol

that last statement made me kind of sad. but it's still funny. oh well

Return to Los Angeles Clippers