2016-17 Media Day/Training Camp News

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,158

Bench Rebounding and Starting SF 

Post#21 » by og15 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Doc mentioned better rebounding, and I looked at it last season and the rebounding issue last season was 100% the bench. The starters were actually very good when it came to rebounding. If the bench frontcourt is Bass/Speights, I think the rebounding issue should not be such an issue.

I saw the stuff about the starting SF position. I guess Anderson is getting a real shot at it, so that should be nice for him. I know Luc has likely been working on his corner 3PT shot, so we'll see how that continues to progress. I wonder if Dorell Wright even has a chance.

If Anderson wins out as the starting SF over Luc and Wesley, all I'd have to say is props to him.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: 2016-17 Media Day/Training Camp News 

Post#22 » by mkwest » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by mkwest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Possible Hope for the Rooks 

Post#24 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:38 am

I'm attributing a lot of whatever progress we make in terms of building up our scouting, developing our rookies, and the subtle change in attitude towards giving young players more of an opportunity to play and contribute to Lawrence Frank's increased influence in the organization. Yeah, Doc brought Frank in and says he worked to convince Ballmer to implement these programs, but the noticeable progress being made seems to be tied directly to Frank's presence. Whether Doc actually gives Brice or Diamond a chance when the regular season rolls around remains to be seen.

Read on Twitter

Dan Woike, Orange County Register (9/28/16)
Johnson and fellow rookie Diamond Stone will get a chance to assimilate quickly with the Clippers sharing reps in training camp, and Coach Doc Rivers is hopeful one of them can show him something.

“I’ve not met a coach yet that won’t play the players to help them win. If one of those two can break through, I’m all for it,” Rivers said Wednesday. “I’m not going to hold them back. And, I think, I don’t know if it’ll be early, but one of them has a chance.”

Johnson could have the early edge because of his quickness and leaping ability, but Stone, who left Maryland after one season, has also impressed his new coach.

“Diamond can really shoot the ball,” Rivers said. “He was on the post in college, but when you watch him shoot, he wins more of the shooting drills. He can shoot the ball. They both have the chance. ... I think Diamond shoots it better from the 3 than Brice does. What Brice has is speed. Brice is an athletic freak. He just needs to get a little stronger physically and mentally, and he’ll be a better player.”

... Johnson said trying to add weight to his 6-foot-10, 230-pound frame isn’t a top concern. “I’m just trying to get stronger all over,” he said. “I’ll gain weight eventually.”

Clippers Notes: Rookies Brice Johnson, Diamond Stone Get Chance to Contribute
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

Post#25 » by Worm122 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Any news about the point guard that we draft in second round?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#26 » by og15 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:41 pm

He was not signed, he's back in Europe

Didn't know Stone even shot three's. While it would be nice for one of Stone or Johnson to see minutes, they would really have to impress and positive because they're just so much talent in front of them.

Dorell Wright as a possible addition still intruiges me, but doesn't make sense as to how he would make the team.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by mkwest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Clippers' Marreese Speights finds a new home with an old rival

Today, thanks to the magic of free agency and the power of forgiveness, the two are happily teammates, further proof that harmony can be found in something as small as a dribbling basketball.

“He wasn’t one of my favorite people, obviously, when he played with Golden State,” Paul said, smiling. “But that’s maturity. That’s growth. He’s been really great for us.”

So it was significant when, during the free-agency process, DeAndre Jordan and Jamal Crawford reached out to Speights and assured him everything would be fine.

Still, after he agreed to join the Clippers at the bargain price of the veteran’s minimum, Speights found himself double-checking with his common sense.

“At first, I was sort of like, ‘What’s going on? I really just signed with the rival team?’” he said. “At the end of the day, it’s really just about what’s happening on the court. All that beef was on-the-court stuff.”

“Our fans, I think, will probably like him once they get past all the other stuff,” Paul said, knowing fans – like players – can forgive. “He’s going to add a lot for us. ‘Mo’ is one of those guys you love to have as your teammate, but you don’t like to play against.”

Jeff Miller, OC Register

Clippers focused on rebounding, pushing the ball upcourt faster

“The first 30 games,” Rivers said Wednesday, “we were awful.”

But, the Clippers eventually picked up the changes and finished tied for the fourth-best defense in the league, using points per 100 possessions (defensive rating) as a metric.

“I forgot we totally changed our defense last year,” Chris Paul said, a promising sign because it must feel like second nature. “It does feel like we’ve come in this year with more understanding and knowing what we need to get better at. There’s a lot more conversation. Guys know what to expect, and we’re talking a lot more. That comes with maturity and leadership.”

“We were a pretty good defensive team,” Paul said. “But our rebounding needs to get better. That’s something we’ve been playing a lot of attention to.”

Rivers said the Clippers are trying to get the ball into the offensive end faster (they were second-slowest a year ago), and they’re trying to add even more motion to their offense.

“... We just have to trust the pass more, overall, as a whole group. And, we can’t stand as much. We do move the ball, but we don’t move bodies. We have to move both.”

Dan Woike, OC Register

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by mkwest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by mkwest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Clippers Look To Add Movement To Offense

When Rivers talks about getting past half court, it’s less about pace and more about getting into the offense sooner.

“The year before, we did that, and we were No. 1 in offense,” Rivers said. “So, we have to get back to doing it.”

Griffin’s absence didn’t help in that regard, since it eliminated another ball-handler and someone else other than Chris Paul to bring the ball past half court and get into the offense.

“That may have been that,” Rivers said, “and then post cuts. We post the ball, but we never cut, so we have to do that better.”

Despite a slow start, the moves paid off in the end. The Clippers tied with the Warriors and Celtics for the fourth best defensive rating in the league.

“The first 30 games we were awful,” Rivers said. “To make that type of run tells you we were really good, and we would like to start that way this year. If we can start the way we ended defensively, we’re going to be really good.”

To make that happen, Rivers believes it’s less on Jordan and the bigs and more on his backcourt.

“The guards have to get into the ball more,” Rivers said. “CP and Austin (Rivers), they’re naturally physical guards, so it wasn’t an issue for them, but everyone else it was. This year, they all have to do it.”

Rowan Kavner, Clippers.com

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#30 » by og15 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:17 pm

So I guess KG is an unofficial coach for the team
Ranma
RealGM

Benefiting from Championship Experience 

Post#31 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Man, I absolutely love having Kevin Garnett tutor our guys. Hopefully, he'll take on a more permanent role as mentor. His experience and motivational skills are invaluable to teams chasing championships. Blake, Diamond, and Brice getting tips from KG is a godsend, but DJ would benefit the most from his wisdom, especially after playing under Coach K for the Olympics team.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:17 am

Clippers' Blake Griffin ready to extend range, shoot more 3-pointers

“I want to be someone who shoots from there confidently, for sure,” Griffin said after Thursday’s practice at UC Irvine’s Bren Events Center. “A lot of us power forwards, our strength is inside or our versatility. You look at the best power forwards, Anthony Davis, LaMarcus (Aldridge), Draymond (Green) ... they can all shoot but they can all put the ball on the floor and they can all score inside. I don’t necessarily think falling in love with the 3-point shot is a good idea, but shooting it confidently from there is great.”

“Blake is Blake. We’re going to tell him to shoot it damn near every time he catches it,” Paul said earlier this week. “It’s one of those things I’m sure we’ll see when the games come how comfortable he is with it. But, we’ve had the confidence in him for awhile.”

That confidence should be increasing.

Griffin said he shot more 3’s than he’s ever shot before during the offseason, nearly mirroring his work from the long mid-range.

“The further out I can stretch, the more I can help open up the floor,” Griffin said, acknowledging that he’ll have more room to put the ball on the floor and make plays that way if he can hit open 3-point attempts.

Dan Woike, OC Register

Doc Rivers said he doesn't foresee KG accepting a coaching job this season: "I don't think he wants to coach. He's not that crazy. Who would ever want to do that? ... There's no way that's going to happen. I think he has a teaching future. This [situation] is as organic as it could be. I just told him to come around and figure it out. Do whatever you want. Whatever he does, I'm good with, because I do think he can have a very positive impact on us."

Jovan Buha, ESPN

Doc Rivers on Kevin Garnett's presence at Clippers training camp: "KG was phenomenal today. This morning, before practice, he had a teaching clinic that you would pay a lot of money to see. It was great. It was great for Blake [Griffin] and [DeAndre Jordan] and the young guys as well. It's great to have him around. He's a great teacher. We know him as a great player. I knew him as a great teacher. He'll be really good for us."

Jovan Buha,ESPN

Paul Pierce believes anyone -- even established stars like Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan -- can learn from Kevin Garnett: "Anybody can pick up something from an all-time great. He is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. So, whenever you've got somebody that can come in and share some valuable experience, it's a plus. Unless you're already sitting on the sidelines with five championships and 15 All-Star [appearances], and stuff like that, you probably don't want to hear nothing. But, when you have a guy like Kevin who was the greatest at his position, when he talks, you want to listen."

Jovan Buha, ESPN

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 am

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:25 am

Class in session: Kevin Garnett delivers hoop lessons to Clippers

Kevin Garnett, who announced his retirement from the NBA after 21 seasons last week, surprised the team and showed up to work with their crop of big men.

First, one-on-one post moves against All-Star power forward Blake Griffin, with Garnett using his lanky 6-foot-11 frame and defensive savvy to bother Griffin’s face-up jumper.

Then, battling rookie forward Brice Johnson and rookie center Diamond Stone on the block, showing them how to deny entry passes and then, as an offensive player, how to counter those very denials.

Garnett’s guidance was far more productive than anything the players could have learned in practice, and head coach Doc Rivers wasn’t afraid to admit that.

“KG was phenomenal today,” Rivers said of Garnett’s appearance. “This morning, before practice, he had a teaching clinic that you would pay a lot of money to see. It was great. It was great for Blake [Griffin] and [DeAndre Jordan] and the young guys as well. It’s great to have him around. He’s a great teacher. We know him as a great player. I knew him as a great teacher. He’ll be really good for us.”

“He has so much to share, and it’s good to see him come in here and share some of the things he knows with some of our guys. Especially with DJ and Blake. He’s working with them right now. All that helps. Every little thing helps.”

Jovan Buha, ESPN
Ranma
RealGM

Video of KG School 

Post#35 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:34 am

I absolutely love what I'm seeing from Kevin Garnett in the video below. He's enthusiastic and into teaching the nuances of playing the post position. That up-and-under he had Blake execute would be a lethal option instead of Griffin always resorting to the fall-away when he initially can't get a step on his defender.

I'm a little concerned about Griffin's demeanor but it could just be his reserved nature. A lot of us had been harping on both Griffin and Jordan to seek tutelage from Hakeem Olajuwon when he did his camps in the offseason, so getting knowledge and demonstrations from KG is an incredible benefit. Blake did those Red Bull videos last year where he went to handball, MMA, and track athletes to help improve elements of his game, so he should be all ears and grateful for whatever Garnett is providing. I'm just a little concerned that pride may be keeping Griffin from getting the most out of this unexpected advantage.

mkwest wrote:
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#36 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:02 am

i'm usually ambivalent about this kind of stuff but you get the feeling kg can really, really show these guys something. can't wait for the season to start
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Video of KG School 

Post#37 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:22 am

Ranma wrote:I'm a little concerned about Griffin's demeanor but it could just be his reserved nature. A lot of us had been harping on both Griffin and Jordan to seek tutelage from Hakeem Olajuwon when he did his camps in the offseason, so getting knowledge and demonstrations from KG is an incredible benefit. Blake did those Red Bull videos last year where he went to handball, MMA, and track athletes to help improve elements of his game, so he should be all ears and grateful for whatever Garnett is providing. I'm just a little concerned that pride may be keeping Griffin from getting the most out of this unexpected advantage.

I don't know how long or how often KG will be around the team, but I think that something can be gained from even a few brief encounters (if that's all that he gets). Blake was around Team USA for a short period of time before getting injured, but did manage to incorporate what Melo taught him into his game.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 am

Clippers Of All Ages Soak Up Garnett’s Teaching At Camp

“You see Kevin Garnett here,” Crawford said. “I couldn’t stop watching him, to be honest with you. Like, he’s one of my 10 favorite players ever. I’m watching him now, as I talk to you guys. It’s unbelievable.”

And Griffin was all ears soaking in the advice, which Stone noticed.

To see how much Griffin cared about what Garnett was saying showed the rookie how dedicated Griffin was to getting better, and it also showed the magnitude and significance of getting to absorb advice from someone like Garnett.

“KG’s a great teacher,” Stone said. “He’s really passionate about the game, as everybody knows, but just to be able to hear him and talk to him about different tricks, different ways you can get open, different ways you can get your teammates open, I’m just soaking it all in.”

Rowan Kavner, Clippers.com

Kevin Garnett becomes 'teacher' for Blake Griffin, L.A. big men

“I couldn’t stop watching him,” Clippers guard Jamal Crawford said. “... That’s one of the best players to ever play the game. Every second you’re around a player like that, you listen to every single thing he’s saying. You’re a sponge.”

Garnett, who has a home in Malibu, has an open invitation to work with Rivers and his players throughout the season.

Paul Pierce said the Clippers’ continuity in the starting lineup has shown through in the first three days of camp. Now, it’s on the bench players to find that too. “They’re far ahead of the second unit and the third unit. That’s good. The rest of us have to catch up because we’re here to help them. We’re here to help push them everyday, to help push them over the top,” Pierce said. “The first team has never been the issue. We have to provide, the second team and the guys on the bench, and give those guys a lift when they don’t have it.”

Dan Woike, OC Register

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by mkwest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 pm

In the interview in the previous post, DJ said he would take a paycut for KG to come on board. Obviously, that's not legal, but I love the sentiment. It's great that he's stopped by for a second day in a row.

Even outside of the influence that he can have on Blake and DJ, I'm thrilled that there is the opportunity for him to make an impact on our young bigs. In the past, that wasn't a luxury that we had. It's one thing to listen and learn from guys like CP, Chauncey and even Hill, but picking up tidbits of wisdom from one of the all-time greats that has played your position is huge.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers