ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood (UPDATE: And A New Logo To Go With It)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Props to Ballmer 

Post#21 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Re: Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood 

Post#22 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:26 am

Other NBA owners probably won't be too happy, especially if they planned to go ask for public money for new stadia.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#23 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 am

BUT BALLMER IS GOING TO MOVE THE TEAM TO SEATTLE

Some people need a few marketing and finance classes.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Props to Ballmer 

Post#24 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

In fairness, this isn't unprecedented. The San Francisco Giants did it seventeen years ago when they built AT&T Park. Kroenke's new stadium in Inglewood is going to be privately financed. So will the Warriors' new arena in SF. IIRC, the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis was almost entirely privately financed - the only areas where the city pitched in were infrastructure around the development site and a small tax on tickets.

It can be done, it just doesn't happen more often because most owners are either looking for a handout or legitimately can't afford to build one on their own.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#25 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Whoa...

Getting a new facility as well?
Can't wait for this thing to get built.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Unanimously Approved 

Post#26 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Poop Party at the Forum 

Post#27 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#28 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm

they mad lol
Ranma
RealGM

Fading Forum 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:27 pm

The Madison Square Garden Company should have sold the Forum to Ballmer when they had the chance. If and when Ballmer's arena comes to full realization, its business goes down the toilet with prospective customers more interested in going to the new state-of-the-art venue.

This should speed up the demolition of the Lakers' old stomping grounds, so at least we'd have that symbolic feather in our cap.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#30 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43 pm

That's the old Forum where the Lakers used to play?

It's still open for concerts or something?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#31 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 pm

ya

so a new state of the art facility replacing the old forum will take its business
wco81
RealGM

Post#32 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 am

Read somewhere that Ballmer said they will be in Staples until 2024. Maybe he could try to break the lease if they manage to start construction sooner than later, after any kind of legal disputes are settled?

It could be a good idea to bridge a winning team into the new arena, where I'm sure ticket prices will take a jump.

Otherwise, 7 years from now, it could be an entirely different team, both on the court and in the front office.
Ranma
RealGM

Ballmer Avoiding Legal Hazard 

Post#33 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 am

I thought the same thing too but he'd potentially put himself in legal jeopardy if he announced that he planned to break his lease with Staples Center by leaving in 2023 a year before its expiration in 2024. Remember, Ballmer is currently negotiating with AEG about extending the team's lease or at least contingencies in case the Inglewood project is delayed indefinitely for whatever reason. His own public comments would be used against him in court proceedings where he'd be accused of not intending to fulfill his current legal commitments or is not negotiating in good faith.

Ballmer also mentioned before that he does not want to enter into talks with AEG regarding the team's Staples Center scheduling and lease without having the leverage of having an arena plan in his pocket. Now he has that leverage. The Inglewood project is not a sure thing at this point though it is very likely to happen, so in the meantime, it can be used to negotiate better future scheduled dates as well as serve as a backup plan if the primary objective of our own arena falls through.

Maintaining good relations could also help us negotiate a suitable early-termination option should the Inglewood project open in 2023. Otherwise, we'd risk adding another legal fight to our docket when our full attention and efforts should be put into exploring the realization of the Inglewood arena project. Just look at how the MSG Company is throwing a hissy fit upon our glorious announcement.

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#34 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:04 am

What an awasome day it was, 14th of June... Hallelujah!!

The day i started my 27th age, we got freaking "the logo" and have announced moving the team to our own place and there was another thing in my private life that to crown it all. 8-)

I'm just sooooo happy with Ballmer being the owner. We're always on the edges when it comes to owners :lol:
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#35 » by WC NBA Fan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 pm

@wco81

Yes, MSG bought the old Forum and renovated it for around $25 million. It's one of the top concert only facilities in the country. Personally, I don't think they will be effected that much. I could see Ballmer's place being host to in season college bball games, a conference tournament and maybe even NCAA tournament games along with WWE, MMA and Boxing while the Forum holds concerts.

@Ranma

Yes and I brought this up on another Clipper board as well. For legal reasons, Ballmer has to keep saying that he'll honor his lease during this ENA process. If all goes according to plan, he'll do his best to get the arena done by 2022 and buyout the last 2 years of the lease.

Buying out the lease makes all the financial sense in the world. He stands to make roughly an extra $20-$30 million more per season controlling the revenue in his own building while AEG stands to only lose around $10-$15 million and that's assuming they stay dark for every night the Clippers aren't there which won't happen because they'll easily fill at least 10 of those dates. Just come to a number between AEG's high end $15 million loss and Ballmer's low end $20 million gain and you have a deal. Make it $17.5 million or something. If they have the arena done by 2022, double $17.5 to $35 million since it will be 2 years early and get it done.
Ranma
RealGM

Ballmer's Arena Will Not Be Sports-Only 

Post#36 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:09 am

WC NBA Fan wrote:@wco81

Yes, MSG bought the old Forum and renovated it for around $25 million. It's one of the top concert only facilities in the country. Personally, I don't think they will be effected that much. I could see Ballmer's place being host to in season college bball games, a conference tournament and maybe even NCAA tournament games along with WWE, MMA and Boxing while the Forum holds concerts.

I have a hard time thinking Ballmer will only be going after sporting events given the amount of money he'd invest in the project. As such, A-list performers will want to headline at the latest and greatest venue to imply that they're first-class events worth the money they'd be charging. That's just how Hollywood works (image and perception are priorities) and will especially be true 5-7 years from now. Of course, two sets of artists can play on the same night at the different venues, but would you really want to be the one competing against the draw of a newer facility?

That doesn't even take into account the increased traffic in the same area from Ballmer's newer arena whether it's a sporting event or concert, plus, whatever else the Rams' complex may be hosting. That would make it even more difficult for those who want to attend Forum gigs. Not to mention that they're all right next to LAX airport. Would that be something you want to deal with as an organizer?

Maybe MSG Company wants to negotiate with Ballmer about only holding sporting events for the first couple of years in exchange for letting his project proceed smoothly, but I don't get the impression that they're in a position to really stop the project despite their legal letter and vociferous protests.
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Re: Ballmer's Arena Will Not Be Sports-Only 

Post#37 » by WC NBA Fan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:27 am

Ranma wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:@wco81

I have a hard time thinking Ballmer will only be going after sporting events given the amount of money he'd invest in the project. As such, A-list performers will want to headline at the latest and greatest venue to imply that they're first-class events worth the money they'd be charging. That's just how Hollywood works (image and perception are priorities) and will especially be true 5-7 years from now. Of course, two sets of artists can play on the same night at the different venues, but would you really want to be the one competing against the draw of a newer facility?

That doesn't even take into account the increased traffic in the same area from Ballmer's newer arena whether it's a sporting event or concernt, plus, whatever else the Rams' complex may be hosting. That would make it even more difficult for those who want to attend Forum gigs. Not to mention that they're all right next to LAX airport. Would that be something you want to deal with as an organizer?

Maybe MSG Company wants to negotiate with Ballmer about only holding sporting events for the first couple of years in exchange for letting his project proceed smoothly, but I don't get the impression that they're in a position to really stop the project despite their legal letter and vociferous protests.

I'll clarify a bit. I'm not suggesting that Ballmer's arena will have ZERO concerts but rather that there won't be enough concerts to really make the Forum start losing money or be an overall unsuccessful venture. If it's really that big a deal to them then they always have the option of selling the land and the Forum to Ballmer in which case he would tear it down then build a better arena in it's place. In the meantime, they still have a few years to max out as many concerts before Ballmer starts getting close to buyout his lease at Staples time.
Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#38 » by Akklaim1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Remember when AEG was thinking about not renegotiating with the Clippers when the first lease was about to expire in the mid-2000s? AEG said thar concerts would generate more revenue than Clipper games. Can you imagine how Ballmer would've responded to that?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#39 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Forum Files Lawsuit 

Post#40 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 pm

I have to say that Inglewood's handling of matters is really shady. I want our own arena but I've already had some concerns over the surrounding area and the logistics it would entail. In any case, I hope something can be worked out amicably and legally where the Clippers buy out the Forum to move forward with the project.

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers