ImageImageImageImage

The 3 guys I cut before 2015.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

ncmalko1
Junior
And1: 0

Re: The 3 guys I cut before 2015. 

Post#81 » by ncmalko1 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:11 pm

My bad on the end of the previous post. There is no interior DLineman in the league better then Suh at destroying a pocket. It doesn't lead to the same number of sack stats but most believe sacks stats are overrated. Watt is the best outside lineman in collapsing pockets, Suh is the best inside lineman in breaking down pockets.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Post#82 » by Jarntt » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:12 pm

Suh is a very good player, but no way is he as good as Watt. Watt does EVERYTHING. I've never been a stat guy, but the first numbers are Watts (in 1 less year) and the second are Suh:
Sacks: 57/36; Forced Fumbles: 12/2; Fumbles recovered: 11/1; Tackles: 241/180; passes defensed: 37/15. I know the positions are different, but Watt isn't exactly in a high stat position either and again it is in one less season. Plus one guy is known as the dirtiest player in the league and the other is a class act. There is no way I give Suh the money that is being talked about, no way.
ncmalko1
Junior
And1: 0

Post#83 » by ncmalko1 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:16 pm

Jarntt wrote:Suh is a very good player, but no way is he as good as Watt. Watt does EVERYTHING. I've never been a stat guy, but the first numbers are Watts (in 1 less year) and the second are Suh:
Sacks: 57/36; Forced Fumbles: 12/2; Fumbles recovered: 11/1; Tackles: 241/180; passes defensed: 37/15. I know the positions are different, but Watt isn't exactly in a high stat position either and again it is in one less season. Plus one guy is known as the dirtiest player in the league and the other is a class act. There is no way I give Suh the money that is being talked about, no way.

I agree with the money part cause of cap restrictions. If I could have any non QB in the NFL I'd go with Watt. The guy is a beast. I dont follow the pulse of the Lions and I dont know if Suh's dirty play had any impact on his teams harmony. I do know that next to QB the most important thing is to have someone that can collapse a pocket and they are 1 and 2 in the NFL in that ability. A DT will never have the numbers of a DE. Back when the Eagles were #1 against the run and the pass I'd watch the games and think Jerome Brown might be better then Reggie White even though White would have 20 sacks to Browns 5. 36 sacks by a DT is incredible but the chaos he creates is a notch below Watt. If Dallas got Suh they'd be my pick to represent the NFC as long as the find someone to replace Murray. But he represents a win it all right now philosophy and if that doesnt happen then there would be some ramifications. I like the idea of Ngata much more at a 1/4 to a 1/3rd the price of Suh. Suh's gonna wind up on one of those lower level teams that HAVE to spend I would imagine.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#84 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:14 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I guess I'm so desperate to fix our biggest need. I just think we are a lot closer to the super bowl than most of you realize. Can't we take a couple conservative shots right now if it presents itself? After suffering 15 of the last 17 years, we are finally close, so close. We finished one play and a bad reverse call away from the championship game with a so-so defense last year. Neither super bowl team had a better record than us going into the playoffs. Add a bad tie-breaker in there to go along with it. Barring health and injuries, we a few nice pieces, we could be bad asses next year, lookout Malco.

Hopefully, we all realize how close we are.

Because - we are incredibly close with a team that got significantly younger last season and stands to get even younger this season while still being able to maintain the high level of performance from last season. And - we have the front office structure in place that looks to be able to add pieces which will foster the type of team we want here. I'm more than willing to give them that leeway as a fan. Sure beats the hell out of what we were handed in those years before Will McClay started to have a more predominant voice in things.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#85 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 9, 2015 10:56 pm

Jarntt wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Jarntt wrote:"I just think Suh would be a huge upgrade for the DL and solidify a much needed or the most important need IMHO we have. If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears."

Continuing to do exactly what we have the last few years. Sign smart FA contracts and build through the draft. I don't see any way that giving Suh over $20M per year, including over $50M in guaranteed money is the best way to help this team. We could get Haloti Ngata (once released), Murray and some secondary help for that.

Is he the Dt from the Ravens? If so, that would be a very nice upgrade. I would be in favor of that. I did not know he was on the market. By the way, I really don't disagree with you guys on building through the draft. I just think if we are to spend on a couple free agents though, I want an impactful DT SO MUCH. I have no problem using most if not all of our cap space in this area.

Yes, that's him. Love that guy and it he is not free, but is expected to be cut for cap reasons. I'm not really saying we should sign him, Murray and a corner...my point was more comparing what else we could do with the money instead of signing Suh. Here is a question. Everyone is expecting Suh to be this dominant pass rush presence. How many career sacks would you guess he has? He is going to get paid similar to Watt, but he has been nowhere near the player Watt is...

To be honest, I really don't care what Suh's sack totals are compared to Watt or anyone. What I'm looking for here is a dominate DT that controls the run game, dominates the line of scrimmage that requires 2 or 3 blockers to account for him while freeing up our pass rushers and linebackers.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Post#86 » by Jarntt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:39 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Jarntt wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Is he the Dt from the Ravens? If so, that would be a very nice upgrade. I would be in favor of that. I did not know he was on the market. By the way, I really don't disagree with you guys on building through the draft. I just think if we are to spend on a couple free agents though, I want an impactful DT SO MUCH. I have no problem using most if not all of our cap space in this area.

Yes, that's him. Love that guy and it he is not free, but is expected to be cut for cap reasons. I'm not really saying we should sign him, Murray and a corner...my point was more comparing what else we could do with the money instead of signing Suh. Here is a question. Everyone is expecting Suh to be this dominant pass rush presence. How many career sacks would you guess he has? He is going to get paid similar to Watt, but he has been nowhere near the player Watt is...

To be honest, I really don't care what Suh's sack totals are compared to Watt or anyone. What I'm looking for here is a dominate DT that controls the run game, dominates the line of scrimmage that requires 2 or 3 blockers to account for him while freeing up our pass rushers and linebackers.

Yeah, but that is NOT worth $20M per year...
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#87 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 am

I'm afraid I have to agree. 20 million is too much.
Schmoopy1000
Junior
And1: 18

Post#88 » by Schmoopy1000 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 am

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer believes the chances are "very good" that the Cowboys release CB Brandon Carr if he refuses a pay cut.
Carr is due an $8 million salary and scheduled to count $12.7 million against the cap in the third year of a five-year, $50.1 million contract. The Cowboys can clear $8 million in cap space this season by making him a post-June 1 cut.

Sounds like they would be willing to carry dead money the following year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#89 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Great. If that holds true, so much for me wanting to totally focus on DT and LB at the draft. That just went out the window. I hate being held hostage by CB's and WR's. It never works out for any team that allows it. I'm beginning to be very uncomfortable with things lately. This and franchise tagging Dez, we could be heading for trouble.

Return to Dallas Cowboys