ImageImageImageImage

DeMarco Murray

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Schmoopy1000
Junior
And1: 18

DeMarco Murray 

Post#1 » by Schmoopy1000 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:36 am

Jerry Jones said he'd prefer to lessen DeMarco Murray's workload if the running back re-signs with Dallas.
The Cowboys repeatedly made allusions to this during the 2014 season as well. But Murray ended up with a franchise record 392 carries because he was so vital to their success -- they just couldn't take the rock out of his hands once in the heat of battle. Backing off workloads from great backs is far easier said than done.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Re: DeMarco Murray 

Post#2 » by Jarntt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 pm

One of the problems with trying to sit Murray was that he was also our only RB that could pass protect. We need t ofigure something out in that area going forward. If Murray got hurt last year it would have been open season on Romo or we would have needed to do something like putting Hannah back there as an H-Back and that obvioulsy limits what you can do out of those formations.
Schmoopy1000
Junior

Post#3 » by Schmoopy1000 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:14 am

Jarntt wrote:One of the problems with trying to sit Murray was that he was also our only RB that could pass protect. We need t ofigure something out in that area going forward. If Murray got hurt last year it would have been open season on Romo or we would have needed to do something like putting Hannah back there as an H-Back and that obvioulsy limits what you can do out of those formations.

not only that but the defense knows it is a pass play & can telegraph it. (If we had to use Hannah)
Think if he stays he may be used a little less, but we will still Larry Johnson him IMO.
Schmoopy1000
Junior

Post#4 » by Schmoopy1000 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:19 am

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones admitted talks with free agent DeMarco Murray have been "slow," and Murray will make it to the open market.
"[Murray] is probably going to, you know, get some peace and see what's out in the market and then we'll talk and see," Jones said. "I do believe deep down he'd love to stay in Dallas." The Cowboys couldn't reach a long-term deal with fellow free agent Dez Bryant and will be forced to tag him this week. Murray's days with Dallas aren't necessarily over, but the 27-year-old should chase the money.
Source: FOX Sports Southwest
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

DeMarco Murray 

Post#5 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:33 pm

He definitely should chase the money. This will be his only chance at a big money contract. I'd like to see him back in Dallas but fully understand that he has to get paid.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 3, 2015 7:18 pm

I would like to know the back up plan here because I think Murray would be a nice fit with the Colts or Cardinals and they have the cash to do it. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling we tagged the wrong guy. Historically, it has never worked out when WR and CB are able to hold organizations hostage.
Schmoopy1000
Junior

Post#7 » by Schmoopy1000 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:01 am

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, free agent DeMarco Murray will re-sign with the Cowboys if their contract offer is "equal or similar" to what he receives on the open market.
So basically, if Dallas matches Murray's best offer, the Cowboys would win the tiebreaker. He's also leaving room for a slight hometown discount. Murray has said he would like to play for a winner. That won't be guaranteed if he signs with Jacksonville or Tennessee, two teams with enough cap space to offer Murray a massive contract. The Colts, last year's AFC runner-up, could be a dark horse in the Murray sweepstakes.
Schmoopy1000
Junior

Post#8 » by Schmoopy1000 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:02 am

I think Murray should chase the money, but the fact he is willing to give a small home town discount speaks volumes to me. Hope his price doesn't get to far out there for the boys to counter bid.
Schmoopy1000
Junior

Post#9 » by Schmoopy1000 » Sat Mar 7, 2015 8:38 am

The Cowboys reportedly believe DeMarco Murray's 2014 performance was more a product of their dominant offensive line than Murray's talent.
The Cowboys "also believe that other teams believe it, too," per PFT's Mike Florio. The NFL's "legal tampering" period begins on Saturday, at which point Murray will be able to freely shop his wares. The Cowboys expect Murray to find a soft market, and we do too. If the contract offers Murray gets aren't to his liking, the chances of him returning to Dallas will increase.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Post#10 » by Jarntt » Sat Mar 7, 2015 1:32 pm

When Marshawn Lynch gets The deal he did and Spiller turns down $4.5M a year I start to doubt Murray coming back. I will never buy the idea that our OL made Murray. He made them just as much. BUT, yes we have a great young OL and they could certainly make a decent back good and a good back very good. So, we are lucky in that we can let our best player from last year go and hopefully still end up a better team next year if we use those dollars wisely. We are limited by the Cap and can't just go all in on every player
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

DeMarco Murray 

Post#11 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:41 pm

Considering the deal Lynch got I would expect Murray to get a deal in the $10 mil a year range. No way in hell the Cowboys will (or should) come close to matching that. This is a deep RB draft. I expect the Cowboys to draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round and have a committee of Rookie, Randle, and Williams this year.

Return to Dallas Cowboys