2016 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,238

Re: 2016 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread 

Post#141 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just have no comment on our defense. I have been bitching about it for how long now, 7 or 8 years. I'm sick of sounding like a broken record.

I can definitely understand that. There are some bright spots though. The he DT position is actually in pretty good shape. Thornton looks like a beast and I'm encourage by the young guy Jenkins they picked up from Denver. Byron Jones looks really good this year, especially
Now that he can focus and strictly playing safety. And the young CB Deji Olatoye looks like he has something to him too. He's big for a CB and plays aggressive which I really like. Mo actually looks good so far too. His thing will be if he can stay healthy.

With the offense being so dominant the defense should be able to play from ahead going into the 4th quarter in most game. If they can make the opposing offense one dimensional late in games it's really going to help our defense. Very much like they did in 2014 when they were able to get a lot of turnovers.

And if Dak can continue to progress they can go into the next draft FINALLY focused on drafting the best defensive player. If they end up drafting in the mid/late 20's I still think the best value will be at LB or secondary. I personally would prefer they draft a stud MLB. Move Jaylon out to Sam and find your future MLB in the 1st round.
For our defense to make another's offense one dementional, we have to be dominate vs. the run. Not ready to commit to that yet. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago, our strength on defense might be our secondary. I believe these guys could get some much needed turn overs. And we will need them. But Jesus Christ guys, I just don't see the help with our D-line the way it is. And if we continue to let teams run down our throats it won't matter.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#142 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just have no comment on our defense. I have been bitching about it for how long now, 7 or 8 years. I'm sick of sounding like a broken record.

Focus on the offense BJJ.
I guess we have no choice. !2 penalties the other night and horrid tackling as usual. Once again, we severely lack the basics and discipline. I don't like the signs and culture on this one, sorry. If Garrett has any balls as a coach, now is the time to stand up to Jerry on this one. But the pussy won't. Landry and Jimmy would have never put up with this kind of effort in the tacking department.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#143 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah - the penalties and the tackling gotta be fixed. But once again - look at what's happening on offense. Because with the exception of Chaz Green (as long as he's here he is the new Phil Pozderek of our team), this offense has a chance to be pretty damned special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#144 » by Mr B » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I can definitely understand that. There are some bright spots though. The he DT position is actually in pretty good shape. Thornton looks like a beast and I'm encourage by the young guy Jenkins they picked up from Denver. Byron Jones looks really good this year, especially
Now that he can focus and strictly playing safety. And the young CB Deji Olatoye looks like he has something to him too. He's big for a CB and plays aggressive which I really like. Mo actually looks good so far too. His thing will be if he can stay healthy.

With the offense being so dominant the defense should be able to play from ahead going into the 4th quarter in most game. If they can make the opposing offense one dimensional late in games it's really going to help our defense. Very much like they did in 2014 when they were able to get a lot of turnovers.

And if Dak can continue to progress they can go into the next draft FINALLY focused on drafting the best defensive player. If they end up drafting in the mid/late 20's I still think the best value will be at LB or secondary. I personally would prefer they draft a stud MLB. Move Jaylon out to Sam and find your future MLB in the 1st round.
For our defense to make another's offense one dementional, we have to be dominate vs. the run. Not ready to commit to that yet. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago, our strength on defense might be our secondary. I believe these guys could get some much needed turn overs. And we will need them. But Jesus Christ guys, I just don't see the help with our D-line the way it is. And if we continue to let teams run down our throats it won't matter.

If the offense is able to get a huge lead going into the 4th quarter they will be able to run the ball down teams throats and milk the clock. That will force the opposing offense to pass to catch up (making them one dimensional).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#145 » by Mr B » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:Yeah - the penalties and the tackling gotta be fixed. But once again - look at what's happening on offense. Because with the exception of Chaz Green (as long as he's here he is the new Phil Pozderek of our team), this offense has a chance to be pretty damned special.

I thought Chaz fairly well against the Dolphins. Much better than he did against the Rams. Hopefully he'll continue to get better as the preseason goes along.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#146 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:50 pm

In can and will fully blame Jerry for the culture and the draft selections along with the horrible rades, etc. But the penalties, effort and lack of discipline must be put on the players and coaching staff. Even when we had decent defenses we always got killed in this department.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Mr B
RealGM

Post#148 » by Mr B » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:03 am

No kidding, dudes a piece of ****. Good riddance.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#149 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I can and will fully blame Jerry for the culture and the draft selections along with the horrible trades, etc. But the penalties, effort and lack of discipline must be put on the players and coaching staff. Even when we had decent defenses we always got killed in this department.

Aside from that, I just got done catching up and saw the replay of the Cowboy- Dolphin game. I know things are quite vanilla in pre season, but the offense, WOW!!!!! Barring injury, we more than look like a top 3 offense. Loved what I saw from Morris and Prescott. I won't be as worried if Romo misses a game here and there. Prescott seems to fit our system just fine. He was very accurate, on time and looked like a experienced 3 year veteran out there.
Defense, well I have some mixed feelings at the moment. I know I have been hard on our defense for many years now. Scandrick looks like his old self which was extremely great to see. Jones looks great at safety. The biggest surprise for me was Claiborne. Now that he is healthy, I was almost floored to see the gains he made this offseason. The secondary is a lot better than I thought it would be. Hopefully these guys can stay healthy and get us some much needed turn overs, which we will need till we get everyone back. Dolphins are not a very prolific offense so I wasn't impressed at all with the D-line and LB's. Hardly no pressure most of the night. 3 major penalties that led to a touchdown really pissed me off. And the LB's still havinga hard time covering up the middle and taking bad angles when tacking in the run game. Hopefully when we get our suspended DL players back from suspension, we can get a better idea over all regarding the defense. The grade so far, after 2 preseason games, pleasantly surprised.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#150 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 am

You forgot, Wilcox really sucks. I do think the DT's are going to be pretty solid this year though. The LB's too I think will be ok but they need Damien Wilson and Nzeocha to step up.

Prescott is shocking how good he's played. He has outplayed every QB in preseason (rookie or vet). The preseason he's having reminds me of Russell Wilson's rookie preseason. Their games are very similar too. Dak is bigger though. Because of that he also reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. What's helped him is all the reps he's getting. Even during the season he's going to get a good number of reps when Romo takes his day off.

As for the rest of the offense, look at how awesome the played, and remember they did all that without Zeke. This offense is going to take a lot of pressure off the defense.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Mr B wrote:...Prescott is shocking how good he's played. He has outplayed every QB in preseason (rookie or vet). The preseason he's having reminds me of Russell Wilson's rookie preseason. Their games are very similar too. Dak is bigger though. Because of that he also reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. What's helped him is all the reps he's getting. Even during the season he's going to get a good number of reps when Romo takes his day off...

Gosselin said the other day - I don't care who he was playing against or what level the defense was. He's never seen a QB have back-to-back games that were two dropped passes short of being 158.3 for both.

He's impressive. Looking forward to see what he does tonight with the scrub squad.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 am

Quincy Carter arrested for failure to appear in South Texas.

I got nothing.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#153 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 am

Romo hurt again. Looks like he strained his lower back. He's trying to go back in the game. There is no way Romo makes it through the whole season.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:31 am

Mr B wrote:Romo hurt again. Looks like he strained his lower back. He's trying to go back in the game. There is no way Romo makes it through the whole season.

Love how Zeke and Dak responded. Good stuff between Zeke and Kam.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#155 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:44 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Mr B wrote:Romo hurt again. Looks like he strained his lower back. He's trying to go back in the game. There is no way Romo makes it through the whole season.

Did someone miss a blocking assignment or did Tony pull something running around like an old man?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

Did someone miss a blocking assignment or did Tony pull something running around like an old man?

Running to the left out of the backfield and Cliff Avril hit him from behind. Landed on his clavicle.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#157 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:49 am

They're saying a tweeted back. The way he landed though I would not be surprised if he ends up with a bulging disc. The hit wasn't dirty or even bad. Just looks like an old man playing with boys.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:49 am

Looks like he's trying to keep it loose in the sidelines. He did try and talk his way back into the game for the second series but Garrett wasn't having any of it.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#159 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:50 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:

Me too! They ran it right down that Seattle defense throats.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#160 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:54 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

Running to the left out of the backfield and Cliff Avril hit him from behind. Landed on his clavicle.

Romo has been having a hard time the past few years picking up the blind side blitzes pre snap. he should be much better than that with his experience. After all these no pick ups on his part has cost him injury and games.

Return to Dallas Cowboys