ImageImageImageImage

2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Guess we never started one. At least I didn't see it.

Read on Twitter
Image
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:43 pm

That will free up some more cap space. I am surprised a little its taking so much time to let go some of the players we still do have. Like R. McClain, Sanchez, etc,.
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#3 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I think this free agency period will play out like last year's did. All of the big names will sign with other teams and then the Cowboys will look to sign young cheap guys. This off season will be all about the draft and resigning Zach Martin.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:14 pm

You guys know anything I don't on Alfred Morris. Christ we just signed the guy last year and I'm not sure what we are up to here. Cowboys are looking to trade him now. I wish I knew the game plan here.
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#5 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 3, 2017 8:35 pm

From what I was reading they just don't think he's a fit as as a backup. He's still very serviceable but is the type of back that needs a lot of carries to be effective. Since he won't be getting that here they would like to get a late round pick for him.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:57 pm

Does that mean McFadden and Dunbar are here to stay?
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 4, 2017 5:21 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Does that mean McFadden and Dunbar are here to stay?


Pretty much. I don't mind McFadden but can't see why Dunbar is on the team. I'm hoping a rookie comes in and beats out Dunbar.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 5, 2017 4:09 pm

And what is this garbage about a 3 way trade involving Romo going to Washington. Using Joe Biden's words, that's a bunch of malarky. No way that happens.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 5, 2017 6:14 pm

I don't mind trading Alfred Morris to free up some $$$ and perhaps get a draft pick or defensive help out of the deal. However I did hear a few weeks ago that things were looking that Dunbar was on his way out as well. You guys have any objections of bringing in Jamaal Charles as a back up if the price is right?
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:And what is this garbage about a 3 way trade involving Romo going to Washington. Using Joe Biden's words, that's a bunch of malarky. No way that happens.


First, there is no way this trade would ever happen but the proposed deal would be Cousins going to San Fran, Romo going to Washington, and picks coming to Dallas (including the 2nd overall pick).

If by some chance this actually did happen though I would be perfectly ok with sending Romo to the Skins if it meant we had a legit shot at getting Myles Garrett. Even if we didn't get Garrett then Jonathan Allen from Alabama would be perfect too. Romo only has a couple years left and Dallas would have the dominant pass rusher to get to him. Him playing in Washington wouldn't scare me.
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#11 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't mind trading Alfred Morris to free up some $$$ and perhaps get a draft pick or defensive help out of the deal. However I did hear a few weeks ago that things were looking that Dunbar was on his way out as well. You guys have any objections of bringing in Jamaal Charles as a back up if the price is right?


Charles is done. I'd prefer they bring in someone young and healthy.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:48 pm

Interesting? Hummm.
bluejerseyjinx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,138
And1: 531
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 7, 2017 10:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:And what is this garbage about a 3 way trade involving Romo going to Washington. Using Joe Biden's words, that's a bunch of malarky. No way that happens.


First, there is no way this trade would ever happen but the proposed deal would be Cousins going to San Fran, Romo going to Washington, and picks coming to Dallas (including the 2nd overall pick).

If by some chance this actually did happen though I would be perfectly ok with sending Romo to the Skins if it meant we had a legit shot at getting Myles Garrett. Even if we didn't get Garrett then Jonathan Allen from Alabama would be perfect too. Romo only has a couple years left and Dallas would have the dominant pass rusher to get to him. Him playing in Washington wouldn't scare me.

Based on our draft history over the years after the 2nd round, I'd like to have the sure thing. And Myles looks like the real deal to me. I think I would be happy if your scenario played out. You know me, been screaming D-line and defense for years.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Cowboys agree to 4-year deal to re-sign WR Terrance Williams
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/03/10/source-cowboys-agree-4-year-deal-wr-terrance-williams-add-former-browns-dt

The Cowboys saw four of their unrestricted free agents head for other NFL teams on Thursday, the first day they were allowed to sign.

On Friday, Dallas brought back one of its own -- wide receiver Terrance Williams. The Cowboys also agreed to terms with free agent defensive tackle Stephen Paea on a one-year deal for $2 million, sources said.

Williams, the Cowboys' No. 2 receiver from W.T. White who was a third-round pick in 2013 out of Baylor, was expected to command at least $6 million a season on the open market.

Instead, the Cowboys were able to re-sign Williams to a four-year deal for $17 million, sources said, with $9.5 million guaranteed. The Williams' agreement came a day after the Cowboys re-signed free agent receiver Brice Butler to a one-year, $1.1 million deal.


Plain and simple - I'm very happy with this signing. It's the right price point for a #2 receiver and insures continuity with the offense. Butler at $1.1M - same thing for the #4 guy.

Best thing - they have no reason to draft a WR. They can concentrate on the glaring needs on this team. CB... DE... DT...S...
Image
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Well - this changes things a little...

Read on Twitter
Image
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#17 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Well - this changes things a little...

Read on Twitter


It definitely affects depth but I think Chaz was already going to get a chance to beat out Free. Collins also has to be given a shot at RT even if Jerry doesn't want him there.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Well - this changes things a little...

Read on Twitter


It definitely affects depth but I think Chaz was already going to get a chance to beat out Free. Collins also has to be given a shot at RT even if Jerry doesn't want him there.


With Leary gone and no viable alternative at LG, I'm probably in agreement with Jerry. That would be a first.
Image
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 462
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#19 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Well - this changes things a little...

Read on Twitter


It definitely affects depth but I think Chaz was already going to get a chance to beat out Free. Collins also has to be given a shot at RT even if Jerry doesn't want him there.


With Leary gone and no viable alternative at LG, I'm probably in agreement with Jerry. That would be a first.


Jerry doesn't want to do it because he doesn't want to have to pay Collins a tackle. He wants him paid as a guard. I would expect that they will bring in another undrafted guard to compete for the LG spot. If they can find a guy that slipped through the cracks (like Leary did) he should have an easier transition considering he'll be playing between Smith and Fredrick. Collins to me just seems like a natural tackle (with his athletic ability) and should be given the chance to battle for the starting RT job.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:54 pm

I guess we'll see what they think of Green. Was he that mess against the Rams or the guy that seemed to improve as the games went on. I'm sure they have their fingers crossed that he's ready.
Image

Return to Dallas Cowboys