[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Cousins 

Post#341 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Higga wrote:
TGW wrote:
Higga wrote:I think Cousins at least deserves a full 16 game season. After that, we'll re evaluate.

IMO Cousins doesn't "deserve" anything. Maybe if he showed that he was progressing in the right direction, then the case could be made. He really hasn't done anything to deserve a shot other than being an alternative to a guy the coach doesn't like. He's already been benched for being terrible...so to say he deserves 16 games is just not reasonable IMO.

Well, my reasoning is:

1. He's shown enough good that I'd like to see if he can improve over the course of a season. Its not like he's been John Beck awful all the time. The offense was at its most productive with Cousins starting last year. And its hard to really develop as a young QB when you get a couple starts here, then a few starts a year later. No real consistency there.

2. We know what we have in the other QBs. RG3 simply can not run an NFL offense and McCoy has no upside, he's a guaranteed 5-11/6-10 type starter. With Cousins there might be a chance(small chance, maybe less than 5%)that he could pan out to be a real good QB. So lets give him a season and see if by season's end he shows improvement.

Its very likely though that the QB of the future isn't on the roster right now, although I hope McLoughan takes a Ravens/Steelers like approach and continues to build up the rest of the team first instead of trying to go out of your way to get the golden goose QB.

Yeah, I think both of us are saying - We don't know if he's the answer, and we know he has to improve, but he's clearly the only one of the 3 that has a chance to be the Skins QB of the future, so we should give him every opportunity to prove himself.

We want to have the OPTION of not having to use next year's first rounder on a QB - and taking the years to develop the new QB - because there really is no consensus top QB like Luck or Cam Newton or Rodgers. I'd rather use the pick to find the next AJ Green or Julio Jones.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#342 » by Higga » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Yeah I'd love a dominant WR. I think we have some nice young WRs that would be good complimentary pieces but we could really use that one guy that could single handedly take over a game(although maybe Jordan Reed can be that guy but he has low football IQ and is injury prone).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#343 » by TGW » Thu Oct 1, 2015 2:24 am

Well, we'll agree to disagree. I saw Griffin run an NFL offense in 2012, and it was the last time the Redskins actually played like an NFL team. Cousins has looked terrible in about half the games he's started, looked average in 1/4th of those games, and very good in those other 1/4th.

Cousins has 4 games with QBR over 100. He has 3 games between 80-99 and 7 games under an 80. He's looked terrible in a majority of his starts. The numbers don't match the narrative that he is the best option on this team. At this point, it's just pure emotion and supposition that Cousins is the best option.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#344 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Oct 1, 2015 4:22 am

Gruden is hardheaded and the Cousins start all games is going to backfire. You don't even need to be a professional NFL analyst to see that Cousins is not going to magically improve and be even near some insert decent QB name.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#345 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 2, 2015 3:56 am

TGW wrote:Well, we'll agree to disagree. I saw Griffin run an NFL offense in 2012, and it was the last time the Redskins actually played like an NFL team. Cousins has looked terrible in about half the games he's started, looked average in 1/4th of those games, and very good in those other 1/4th.

Cousins has 4 games with QBR over 100. He has 3 games between 80-99 and 7 games under an 80. He's looked terrible in a majority of his starts. The numbers don't match the narrative that he is the best option on this team. At this point, it's just pure emotion and supposition that Cousins is the best option.

Unfortunately, that's irrelevant, because of 3 things:
1. Griffin was the one who said he didn't want to run that offense anymore,
2. He doesn't have the running ability he used to have, and
3. We're in 2015.

And I didn't even get into how injury-prone he is. I would LOVE to see Griffin succeed, but when a QB shows such the almost comical lack of ability to simply move in the pocket that Robert's shown - and it was his decision to be a pocket passer - it was up to him to learn to play in the offense and it never happened. He regressed. If I was going to make an emotional decision, I'd go for Robert.

Do I believe Cousins will succeed? I don't know. He certainly moves in the pocket much better and has the physical ability and smarts to run the offense, and releases the ball much quicker. Imo, it's clear Griffin has no chance here, and I'll give Cousins half a season - so 5 more games - before making a decision.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#346 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:25 am

Hidden Eye wrote:Gruden is hardheaded and the Cousins start all games is going to backfire. You don't even need to be a professional NFL analyst to see that Cousins is not going to magically improve and be even near some insert decent QB name.

I'm glad to see it backfire for how smug and hateful Gruden was toward RG3.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Cousins 

Post#347 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:28 am

Ruzious wrote:
TGW wrote:Well, we'll agree to disagree. I saw Griffin run an NFL offense in 2012, and it was the last time the Redskins actually played like an NFL team. Cousins has looked terrible in about half the games he's started, looked average in 1/4th of those games, and very good in those other 1/4th.

Unfortunately, that's irrelevant, because of 3 things:
1. Griffin was the one who said he didn't want to run that offense anymore,
2. He doesn't have the running ability he used to have, and
3. We're in 2015.

And I didn't even get into how injury-prone he is. I would LOVE to see Griffin succeed, but when a QB shows such the almost comical lack of ability to simply move in the pocket that Robert's shown - and it was his decision to be a pocket passer - it was up to him to learn to play in the offense and it never happened. He regressed. If I was going to make an emotional decision, I'd go for Robert.

Do I believe Cousins will succeed? I don't know. He certainly moves in the pocket much better and has the physical ability and smarts to run the offense, and releases the ball much quicker. Imo, it's clear Griffin has no chance here, and I'll give Cousins half a season - so 5 more games - before making a decision.

Griffin won as a rookie before he got hurt.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000134287/article/robert-griffin-iii-wins-offensive-rookie-of-the-year

NEW ORLEANS -- Choosing your favorite rookie quarterback in 2012 is like choosing your favorite flavor of ice cream. You really couldn't go wrong, but The Associated Press voters for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year ultimately got the choice right.

Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins won the award Saturday night at "NFL Honors" over the Seattle Seahawks' Russell Wilson and the Indianapolis Colts' Andrew Luck in one of the best rookie crops of players in NFL history. Running backs like Washington's Alfred Morris and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Doug Martin would have been in the mix to win most years.

What has Kirk done? Throw just as many picks as Robert in HALF the attempts.

I know he puts up more yards and at times Kirk plays TERRIFIC. He's well spoken and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the Bible. I think I see exactly why Shanahan and Gruden love him so.

I am torn.

I KNEW three years ago Kirk was going to be groomed as a starter. (Back when folks laughed at my Kirk Cousins thread!). What Griffin did in the meantime was be damned good from the start. Twenty-five TDs and 10 picks as a rookie IIRC. Could Kirk do that???? But that was 2012.

Now, all of a sudden the narrative is Griffin can't learn Gruden's West Coast offense. Griffin stabbed Shanahan in the back. Griffin got Shanahan fired. Griffin wouldn't come out when he was injured. Griffin doesn't get along with teammates. Griffin says he's the best.

I wish RG3 would tell everybody "I get paid. I earned it. I lost big time after the Seattle playoff game. I'm losing now and it's as if I've lost my mojo. I understand if people want me cut or traded. That said, my enemies can pick a number to line up to kiss my behind."

Dude gets vilified either way. He should become an O.G.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:06 am

Griffin had arguably the best rookie season in NFL history - playing a very different offense and playing with very healthy legs. He out-played Discount Doublecheck Rodgers - who might go down as the greatest QB ever. Things have changed - to say the least - and he hasn't adjusted well - to say the least. Who's to blame is another issue; the situation is what it is.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#349 » by Higga » Fri Oct 2, 2015 1:49 pm

RG3 was incredible as a rookie, but that RG3 is gone for a number of reasons:

1. He doesn't have the speed/athleticism to be a run threat anymore. He can't even outrun D-Linemen. Read option doesn't work if your QB isn't a legit run threat.

2. He has stated many times he doesn't want to run that offense anymore.

3. He is injury prone. Putting him in read option just increases his chances of being hurt even more, especially since his body type is so frail and he has no clue how to minimize damage when he does get hit(everytime he gets hit he looks like a rag doll getting hit by a train).

4. Opposing defenses have mostly figured out read option. Just hit the QB and concede the handoff. The only team team that really runs it with any consistency now is Seattle and thats because Wilson is a better runner(quicker than RG3, more evasive, and less injury prone)and their offense only needs to put up ~17 PPG because of their D.

Now we've seen RG3 the last couple of years in a real NFL offense, without the gimmicks, and he's been exposed. He is way too slow at reading defenses and he can't even do the basics right like dropping back/footwork, adjusting line protections, etc. Everyone talks about the OL giving up a lot of pressure but most of the time he creates his own pressure by holding the ball too long or running right into guys(funny how the sack rate drops tremendously when Cousins is in the game).

And also everyone bashes Cousins for the interceptions but doesn't mention how RG3 fumbles a LOT. Sacks/fumbles/consistent 3 and outs basically are equivalent to interceptions if not worse. With Cousins the offense resembles a functional, professional NFL offense. I'm not saying he's a star, hell he may be no better than league average, but RG3 is a bottom 3-5 QB in the league.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#350 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:01 pm

Higga wrote:2. He has stated many times he doesn't want to run that offense anymore.

And that's the biggest thing for me. The fact that he ONLY wants to play a style that he ISN'T GOOD AT means he's a lost cause IMO. Not just here, but anywhere. Maybe if he goes to a place like Green Bay where he can sit for the next 5 years and be tutored by a HOFer, he could have a shot at developing. But other than that...
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#351 » by Hidden Eye » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Hidden Eye wrote:Gruden is hardheaded and the Cousins start all games is going to backfire. You don't even need to be a professional NFL analyst to see that Cousins is not going to magically improve and be even near some insert decent QB name.

I'm glad to see it backfire for how smug and hateful Gruden was toward RG3.

Maybe it would help if there was a QB coach for the team last season? Gruden doesnt like RG3 but he should of altered his offense for Robert to shine. Last year was a disaster but RG3 has to start some games before the team moves on. RG3 starting isn't going to change how the team wins because a game manager isn't hard to do.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Ruzious » Sat Oct 3, 2015 10:11 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Higga wrote:2. He has stated many times he doesn't want to run that offense anymore.

And that's the biggest thing for me. The fact that he ONLY wants to play a style that he ISN'T GOOD AT means he's a lost cause IMO. Not just here, but anywhere. Maybe if he goes to a place like Green Bay where he can sit for the next 5 years and be tutored by a HOFer, he could have a shot at developing. But other than that...

And that put the onus on him to learn to play in the pocket, but he is absurdly stiff in the pocket. Joe Freakin Flacco - who probably can't run the 40 in less than 6 seconds - moves better in the pocket than Robert does - a lot better. And from what "experts" say, this is an instinctual thing that you can't learn as an adult - much like sliding, btw - another major problem he has that Russell Wilson doesn't. Put Russell Wilson's head on Robert's body, and you'd have a 1st ballot HOFer.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:40 pm

90 yard drive capped by perfectly thrown TD pass to Garcon to win the game. Solid with a capital S was Cousins' performance today. Made a ton of 3rd down conversions for 1sts, moved really well in the pocket.

Btw, officiating was terrible - but nearly equally bad for each team.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#354 » by LyricalRico » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:90 yard drive capped by perfectly thrown TD pass to Garcon to win the game. Solid with a capital S was Cousins' performance today. Made a ton of 3rd down conversions for 1sts, moved really well in the pocket.

Yep, and most importantly - no picks. Let's see if he can build on it next week (against a team that should know him well since Kyle is the OC).
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#355 » by FreeBalling » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:25 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:90 yard drive capped by perfectly thrown TD pass to Garcon to win the game. Solid with a capital S was Cousins' performance today. Made a ton of 3rd down conversions for 1sts, moved really well in the pocket.

Yep, and most importantly - no picks. Let's see if he can build on it next week (against a team that should know him well since Kyle is the OC).

Cousins played with confidence today and the team got a solid victory. Hopefully The momentum can be carried into next week.

I wonder how RG3 feels about changing his playing style? That decision got his ass benched and rightfully so. In his last preseason football game in the first quarter he had a total of -1 total passing yards as a professional quarterback. However, Robert got paid lots of money and now he can work on his brand awareness even more than before. He should've been studying the new playbook and working on his pocket awareness. He's a professional athlete without a clue how to get down safely.

The sad thing about Robert is you can't even trade him for a bag of chips.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
RealGM

Post#356 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:39 am

Wha happened?

Am I dreaming? Need meds?

Seriously, I don't care WHO QBs, I'm happy as hell when the Redskins win. I hope Gruden wins all the rest even though I don't like him one bit. It's not about anybody but the team.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#357 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:41 am

FreeBalling wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Cousins played with confidence today and the team got a solid victory. Hopefully The momentum can be carried into next week.

I wonder how RG3 feels about changing his playing style? That decision got his ass benched and rightfully so. In his last preseason football game in the first quarter he had a total of -1 total passing yards as a professional quarterback. However, Robert got paid lots of money and now he can work on his brand awareness even more than before. He should've been studying the new playbook and working on his pocket awareness. He's a professional athlete without a clue how to get down safely.

The sad thing about Robert is you can't even trading for a bag of chips.

Robert needs to bring some pom poms and cheer for Kirk. Give everybody a laugh and be a team player. Show you're mature in your manhood. Break the ice. Seriously high five Kirk Cousins and wish him well. Tell the media when Kirk plays well the team seems to win. That makes everybody happy. HTTR. Now get the freaking camera out my mutha ... JUST KIDDING. :)
Bye bye Beal.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#358 » by FreeBalling » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

The sad thing about Robert is you can't even trading for a bag of chips.

Robert needs to bring some pom poms and cheer for Kirk. Give everybody a laugh and be a team player. Show you're mature in your manhood. Break the ice. Seriously high five Kirk Cousins and wish him well. Tell the media when Kirk plays well the team seems to win. That makes everybody happy. HTTR. Now get the freaking camera out my mutha ... JUST KIDDING. :)

I believe rule 62 applies here.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#359 » by Higga » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:14 pm

Cousins has played well in 3/4 games. The one bad game he had was at the Meadowlands, where every Redskin QB in the history of time including Super Bowl winners have struggled, and on short prep week to boot.
RealGM

Post#360 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:33 pm

The Skins might just make the playoffs and Kirk might stick.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Football Team