Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120501/SPORTS18/205010424/michigan-state-kirk-cousins-nfl-draft?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it the most controversial fourth-round NFL draft pick ever?
That's what many pundits were making Washington's choice of Michigan State's Kirk Cousins sound like, since the Redskins already had used the No. 2 overall pick on Baylor's Robert Griffin III:
Cousins, on Dan Patrick's show Monday morning, said he is ready to make the best of the situation and avoid the dreaded quarterback controversy some are predicting.
"My job is to help the Redskins win football games, so whatever that may be, I'm going to keep an open mind, and I know my opportunity will come sooner or later," he said.
• Peter King, SI.com: "Worst pick, offense: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State."
• Don Banks, SI.com: "I keep trying to discern the master plan, but I just can't see the wisdom of it. It strikes me as the wrong move, at the wrong time, by the wrong team."
• Will Brinson, CBSSports.com: "Unless the NFL is suddenly going to start using the same rules as a two-quarterback fantasy league, the decision to grab Kirk Cousins doesn't make any sense."
• Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: "The Redskins believe Cousins can be a good backup. That's not a luxury in today's NFL; it's a requirement."
• Todd McShay, ESPN Radio, thinks Cousins could end up as one of those coveted backup QBs down the road: "This might be the best thing that ever happened to Kirk Cousins' career."
My opinion: I believe in generating as much positive energy as possible. Cousins want an opportunity but he won't get it in Washington. "RG III is the quarterback", said by Shanahan says that because the Redskins evaluated him so
, he's going to be handed the starting QB. I think the young man is a rookie who is full of unknowns and he has not proven a thing in the NFL.
Also, "RG III is the quarterback", says to Cousins "You are not." But when is the opportunity going to come? When Griffin gets hurt. The Redskins seem to be implying there is no possibility Griffin struggles at all. Even if he does, the QB that Shanahan said is too good to pass up isn't the man, right?
Besides, Griffin will get the snaps in practice and Cousins won't. Right?
To me it is beyond stupid to draft a young man and extinguish his dreams, or, to make Griffin look over his shoulder at another rookie.