[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Quarterbacks

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

2014 Offseason: Quarterbacks 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 am

Gonna try and do a feature on this forum, going position by position. Redskins are expected to have around $33 million in cap space and will have a pick in every round except the first round.

Jay Gruden already said RG 3 will be the starter, and Kirk Cousins is entrenched as the back up. My hope was that Kirk would have shown enough in his 3 games that they could flip him and get a second round pick but that doesn't seem likely now.

That leaves the the third spot. With a new coaching staff, and a new system, having Grossman around is a waste of a roster spot. I could see them going after a QB in the draft, maybe a Zach Mettenberger (LSU), Aaron Murray, who tore his ACL and would b e worth the flier in the later rounds as someone they can develop. I just don't think they are going to after a vet QB. There's no point, he won't start and he won't be a back up.

QB Depth Chart:
1. RG 3
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Rookie QB/Vet QB
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: 2014 Offseason: Quarterbacks 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 am

Rafael122 wrote:Gonna try and do a feature on this forum, going position by position. Redskins are expected to have around $33 million in cap space and will have a pick in every round except the first round.

Great idea! Let me know if you need me to do any promoting for you.

I agree that Cousins' value is lower than it was before so holding onto him makes sense. If he can have a really good preseason next year maybe the value goes up again. Also, keeping him means they don't have to spend several million on a backup and can use their cap space to fill other holes. At this point I'd be surprised if he isn't the backup next year.

For the #3 guy, though, I don't know that I want another young guy they have to develop. I'm thinking more of an over-the-hill vet on a minimum salary contract that doesn't really need any of the new staff's time and can also be a non-coach voice in RG3's ear. If they want a project in the pipeline, they can sign a UFA to the practice squad.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Gonna try and do a feature on this forum, going position by position. Redskins are expected to have around $33 million in cap space and will have a pick in every round except the first round.

Great idea! Let me know if you need me to do any promoting for you.

I agree that Cousins' value is lower than it was before so holding onto him makes sense. If he can have a really good preseason next year maybe the value goes up again. Also, keeping him means they don't have to spend several million on a backup and can use their cap space to fill other holes. At this point I'd be surprised if he isn't the backup next year.

For the #3 guy, though, I don't know that I want another young guy they have to develop. I'm thinking more of an over-the-hill vet on a minimum salary contract that doesn't really need any of the new staff's time and can also be a non-coach voice in RG3's ear. If they want a project in the pipeline, they can sign a UFA to the practice squad.

I was looking at the free agent class for QBs and nothing stuck out. Either its guys who could be a legit #2 on another team or guys who are a waste of a roster spot and no better than a guy who the Skins could draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 3:24 pm

Team has signed Colt McCoy. As of now he's probably the 3rd string QB, unless Cousins gets traded. McCoy as the back up is a scary thought.

Return to Washington Football Team