[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Receivers (Roberts, Moss, DJAX! signed)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

2014 Offseason: Receivers (Roberts, Moss, DJAX! signed) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

There's been a debate as to whether or not Garcon is a #1 receiver, or a #2. He put up #1 receiver type of numbers this season, being RG 3's primary target, but other than offensive line and maybe tight end, this is the biggest area of need for the Redskins.

Santana Moss probably won't be coming back. They've got Garcon signed, as well as Leonard Hankerson and I believe Nick Williams. Aldrick Robinson is a guy they should bring back, but probably shouldn't be making more than $1 million.

My targets? Eric Decker, 6'3 215 pounds, big target. Has put up crazy numbers in Denver, and he's probably priced himself out for them. He's my top target at the wide receiver position.

Jeremy Maclin - tore his ACL, basically admitted he'll be looking for a 1 year, incentive laden deal. I'd bite the bullet and give him guaranteed money to sign with the team over say...Philly.

Hakeem Nicks - has struggled with inconsistency with the Giants, only has had 3 touchdowns the last two years but he'd be an upgrade over what we had last season.

Andre Roberts - could be a slot guy, speedster who performed well despite having Carson Palmer as his QB.

Skins definitely need to get a top flight receiver to pair with Garcon, and probably a solid #3 receiver as well (I view Hank as a #4, and Nick Williams can be the slot guy).

Draft wise, I'm high on Kelvin Benjamin. I wish the Skins had a bottom half 1st round pick, b/c this guy was an absolute monster in college. Tall, 6'5'' and 240. Would be awesome in the red zone. But he might be a first round pick. If he's there in the second round, take him and don't look back.

Martavis Bryant is also a guy I would look at. Note, I'm targeting big wide receivers, because I feel this is something the team has been lacking for years. He's about 6'4'' 200 pounds, currently pegged to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: 2014 Offseason: Wide Receivers 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Rafael122 wrote:My targets? Eric Decker, 6'3 215 pounds, big target. Has put up crazy numbers in Denver, and he's probably priced himself out for them. He's my top target at the wide receiver position.

Jeremy Maclin - tore his ACL, basically admitted he'll be looking for a 1 year, incentive laden deal. I'd bite the bullet and give him guaranteed money to sign with the team over say...Philly.

Hakeem Nicks - has struggled with inconsistency with the Giants, only has had 3 touchdowns the last two years but he'd be an upgrade over what we had last season.

I wouldn't shell out the bucks for Decker. Yes, he was effective before Manning got there, but not the gaudy numbers freak he's been this year. Let somebody else overpay. We need our money for the defense.

Maclin could be a great value if Philly doesn't try hard to keep him. I'd go after him before Decker. Pass on Nicks.

One name that might be out there depending on what direction the team goes is Andre Johnson. He's not what he once was, but if nobody offers him big money I'd like the Skins to at least put in a modest offer. He could have a resurgent year next to a guy like Garcon IMO.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:My targets? Eric Decker, 6'3 215 pounds, big target. Has put up crazy numbers in Denver, and he's probably priced himself out for them. He's my top target at the wide receiver position.

I wouldn't shell out the bucks for Decker. Yes, he was effective before Manning got there, but not the gaudy numbers freak he's been this year. Let somebody else overpay. We need our money for the defense.

Maclin could be a great value if Philly doesn't try hard to keep him. I'd go after him before Decker. Pass on Nicks.

One name that might be out there depending on what direction the team goes is Andre Johnson. He's not what he once was, but if nobody offers him big money I'd like the Skins to at least put in a modest offer. He could have a resurgent year next to a guy like Garcon IMO.

Andre Johnson is still under contract, I think.

I agree money needs to go to defense, but we don't have receivers. We've got like 3 under contract. It's a big need, all they need is one big one, and get a #3 or #4 guy who won't cost as much, maybe even in the draft.

BTW, I also forgot about Kenny Britt. Underused in Tennessee, he is still around 25/26 years old. He would be a good get for this team.

If I had the choice, I'd go with Eric Decker or Kenny Britt + Andre Roberts combo.

Another name: Andrew Hawkins, was in Gruden's system in Cincinnati. There's talent there, money to spent, get your top guy, get a slot receiver/speedster.

1. Decker or Britt
2. Garcon
3. Hawkins or Roberts
4. Hankerson
5. Robinson
6. Williams

Maybe even draft a receiver and it pushes everyone down a spot.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Yeah, Johnson would have to be released. I was just thinking out loud in case the Texans decided to part ways with him and rebuild under their new coach.

And is Britt legitimately healthy? He's got the size we need, but he had that horrible knee injury not too long ago. I remember watching it live on Red Zone - took a helmet right to the knee cap.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#5 » by verbal8 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

I think the Skins might be a good destination for a guy like Maclin who wants to prove he is a #1 receiver. Garcon is good enough that the defense can't completely focus on the other top receiver. However the other top receiver should get a decent number of targets. A similar scenario to the 2011 Eagles.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I forgot to add Dexter McCluster. He's a hard guy to figure out, b/c he can be used as a receiver or a running back, or he can be on teams. Talented player, but how much money would you be willing to give him?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I forgot to add Dexter McCluster. He's a hard guy to figure out, b/c he can be used as a receiver or a running back, or he can be on teams. Talented player, but how much money would you be willing to give him?

I've always liked McCluster, but didn't we go this route the summer we signed all those ex-Jets about 10 years ago? We signed Coles, the kicker, and that other guy that had been one of the top return guys but he ended up being a bust as I recall.

Still, with the things that Gruden was able to do with a guy like Giovanni Bernard, McCluster on a reasonable deal could make sense.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 2:24 pm

Aldrick Robinson signed a 1 year $570K contract this week per reports on Twitter.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 6, 2014 6:27 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Aldrick Robinson signed a 1 year $570K contract this week per reports on Twitter.

Can't find any fault with that. If he decides to start hanging onto the ball, that's a bargain IMO.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Kelvin Benjamin measured in at 6'5'' 240. Dude is a freak of nature.

Martavis Bryant measured in 6'3'' 211.

I doubt Benjamin is there in the second round, but Bryant is definitely a guy to keep an eye on.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Nate Burleson on the cheap? Anyone?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Nate Burleson on the cheap? Anyone?

Nah, he's at the end of the line.

BTW, Maclin back to Philly on a one year deal. Eagles were smart enough to prevent him from going to free agency.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:01 am

What about Devin Hester? Still a decent to good returner, and Jay Gruden could find interesting ways to work him into the offense. Would have to be a bargain type of deal though.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:21 am

LyricalRico wrote:What about Devin Hester? Still a decent to good returner, and Jay Gruden could find interesting ways to work him into the offense. Would have to be a bargain type of deal though.

As purely a punter/kick returner, sure. But as a receiver, no way.

BTW, there's reports out there that Hakeem Nicks might settle for a 1 year deal. I would definitely be interested if that were the case. Seems as though he wants to rehab his value.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 pm

RUMOR that I read on Twitter: Andre Roberts has an offer from the Redskins.

He'll fit in as the slot guy.

Washington Post has confirmed it, Roberts to the Skins. Very good signing.

4 yr/$16 million deal, with $8 mil being guaranteed. Dude played for about half a mil the last 3 seasons, so good for him for cashing in.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2014 Offseason: Receivers (Roberts, Moss signed) 

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 pm

PFT reporting Santana Moss has been re-signed on a 1 year deal. Meh. I mean he gave us some great years and I will always remember that catch on MNF against the Cowboys, but he's done.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Rafael122 wrote:PFT reporting Santana Moss has been re-signed on a 1 year deal. Meh. I mean he gave us some great years and I will always remember that catch on MNF against the Cowboys, but he's done.

Yeah, not expecting much from him. Depending on who else they bring in, he might not even make the team.

Sounds like Roberts will be the new Santana. If Hankerson is healthy and Robinson gives us something, we're already improved.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Wow, DET overpaid for Golden Tate.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Any takers for a Mike Wallace trade? Of course, it would have to be a low round pick (6 or 7) and he would have to agree to a restructured deal.

Jackson from Philly is supposedly also available, but he'll cost more and might not be good in the locker room.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 5:50 pm

A week ago I would have laughed at the notion of Desean Jackson. Now? Holy ****...if we get this guy, the talent on offense would be insane.

Return to Washington Football Team