[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Safeties

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

2014 Offseason: Safeties 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 3:34 pm

This kinda goes hand in hand with the corners. Our secondary is an absolute mess. Skins can do one of a few things:

1) Sign a top corner, and have a trio of Talib/Hall/Amerson.
2) Sign a 2nd or 3rd tier corner, move Amerson into the starting slot, and sign a big money free agent safety.

The current depth chart sits like this:

Strong safety:
Baccari Rambo
Phillip Thomas
Jose Gumbs

Free safety:
?

I would bring back Reed Doughty since he's good in run support, but I would definitely take Option 2 and sign a money safety. Jarius Byrd and TJ Ward are the two high profile guys at that position. If you sign Byrd, he becomes your immediate starter, same with Ward but Ward plays at strong safety.

Other options: Malcolm Jenkins, still young, a free safety and won't command as much money as Ward or Byrd.

Donte Whitner is another option, but he's creeping near 30 so it makes me wonder how much he still has left in the tank.

Louis Delmas was recently released by the Lions, has some injury issues but I'd take a look. Would probably come in on the cheap.

Antoine Bethea from the Colts. He's a Howard grad IIRC, but he is also 30 years old. Maybe a 2-3 year deal, no more than that.

Chris Clemons from the Dolphins is another guy, probably would come in on a one or two year deal.

Draft wise? Ha Ha Clinton Dix is the top free safety on the board, but there's no way he'll be around in the 2nd round.

Calvin Pryor is another guy to keep an eye on, free safety out of Louisville, but again, he could be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round.

Other safeties seem to have their flaws, and could go anywhere from rounds 3-6. I don't think the Skins will draft another safety unless it's Dix or Pryor, considering Thomas and Rambo were drafted last year. It's in the team's best interest to absolutely hit on a top free agent safety and go from there.

And bring back Doughty too! Underrated in run support, and a good teams player.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2014 Offseason: Safeties 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 7:58 pm

Forgot to mention that John Keim who covers the team for ESPN said they are interested in safety Mike Mitchell from the Panthers. Safety, 27 years old, only played for $1 mil last season so he's looking for that payday.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Latest on DBs that Washington is interested in:

The Redskins over the course of the past several days have expressed interest in Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd, Baltimore cornerback Corey Graham and Carolina cornerback Captain Munnerlyn.

Add those names to the list that already includes New England cornerback Aqib Talib and Carolina safety Mike Mitchell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... 4&hpid=z11
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:46 pm

John Keim reported on Twitter that they are keeping in contact with Mitchell. Seems like for right now, Talib and Mitchell are the two targets, rest will be figured out later.

It seems as though they are going with a combo of what I had suggested: top tier corner to pair up with Hall and Amerson. 2nd tier safety who won't break the bank, but will be an upgrade and immediate starter.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Yeah to say I'm a little disappointed that we whiffed on Ward, Byrd, and Mitchell gives me some concern. Our safety corps is absolute trash right now. Clemons would be an improvement but he's not a game changer like a Ward or Byrd.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Yeah to say I'm a little disappointed that we whiffed on Ward, Byrd, and Mitchell gives me some concern. Our safety corps is absolute trash right now. Clemons would be an improvement but he's not a game changer like a Ward or Byrd.

I'm actually glad we didn't put up $54M ($28M guaranteed) for Byrd. Ward only got half that in guarantees, so I'd rather have had him. Here's the latest on what's left:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... r-redskins
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:51 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Yeah to say I'm a little disappointed that we whiffed on Ward, Byrd, and Mitchell gives me some concern. Our safety corps is absolute trash right now. Clemons would be an improvement but he's not a game changer like a Ward or Byrd.

I'm actually glad we didn't put up $54M ($28M guaranteed) for Byrd. Ward only got half that in guarantees, so I'd rather have had him. Here's the latest on what's left:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... r-redskins

The $ is absurd, I agree, but it stings a little. I guess I'm so use to the spending spree that this financial restraint is confusing me.

BTW, Ryan Clark coming in for a visit today.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 5:55 pm

Ryan Clark signed to a 1 year deal. Still thinking they target a safety in the draft, but signing him and potentially signing Jackson gives them a lot of flexibility.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Mon May 5, 2014 5:59 pm

Tanard Jackson got reinstated, and Merriweather was signed to a 1 year deal. Still think the Skins look at the safety position in the draft.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Mon May 5, 2014 7:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Tanard Jackson got reinstated, and Merriweather was signed to a 1 year deal. Still think the Skins look at the safety position in the draft.

Ahhh, you beat me to it. LOL

Factor in that Philip Thomas is also coming back, I like the depth at safety:

Clark
Merriweather
Thomas
Rambo
Doughty
Jackson

No stars, but with an improved pass rush they could be more than adequate IMO. So I wouldn't reach for a safety in the early rounds. If there's a RT or ILB that's clearly better, I think we need to go that route.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Nevermind, we can forget about Jackson.

ASHBURN, Va. — Washington Redskins safety Tanard Jackson has been suspended for a fourth time for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The league announced Wednesday that Jackson has been suspended indefinitely without pay.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

:nonono:

Return to Washington Football Team