[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Offensive Line (Lauvao, Campbell signed)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

2014 Offseason: Offensive Line (Lauvao, Campbell signed) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 7:49 pm

So outside of Trent Williams, the rest of the 4 positions are up for grabs in my view. I have no doubt that Jay will look to improve the offensive line with bigger and stronger guys. One area they must improve on is right tackle. Tyler Polumbus was awful, probably one of the worse offensive linemen in the NFL last year. One name to keep an eye on in free agency is Anthony Collins.

Collins is a 28 year old offensive tackle who is familiar with Jay Gruden's scheme. He probably sees himself as a left tackle since that is where the $ is, but if he agrees to come in as the right tackle, we have our two bookend spots filled in.

Roger Saffold's agent has already come out and said he wants to be a guard or a left tackle. Well clear he won't be a left tackle here, but he could work out as a guard. Rams have exclusive rights of negotiation with him until Saturday, otherwise he hits the market. Definitely someone they should keep an eye on.

Michael Oher is another guy to keep an eye on, he wants to play right tackle but to me he's been far too inconsistent to pay big $ on.

Eugene Monroe is out of our price range, he's going to get big left tackle money from someone.

Brandon Albert, same situation as Monroe. We've got our left tackle, doubtful he comes here.

Offensive Guards/Centers:

Ironically enough, former Redskins player Chad Rhinehart has developed a niche for himself in the league. Could play guard or center, and wouldn't be as expensive as the tackles.

Brian de la Puente of the Saints is another guy I would look for, to play the center position. 6'3' 306 pounds, the type of lineman Jay would want for his running game. Only 28 years old as well.

Just like the other positions I've mentioned, if they can get their main target and then supplement that with other guys, then I think the offensive line will improve. They need an upgrade at every position but left tackle. Don't forget Compton will probably compete for the right tackle spot should they not address it in the draft or free agency.

Draft wise? Cyrus Kouandjio. Local kid, played at DeMatha (boo!), went to Alabama. Has major medical red flags apparently, but if he's still there in the 3rd round, grab him. 1st round talent, if he's not healthy have him sit out the year, but he could be a dominant run blocker in the pros. I'm always a sucker for drafting guys who fall b/c of medical concerns (as long as it's not career threatening or a degenerative condition).

Morgan Moses, OT out of UVA. Also a local kid (Richmond, Skins hold training camp in Richmond), could be an option in the 2nd round.

A name to keep an eye on, Cyril Richardson from Baylor. Protected RG 3's blindside at Baylor, then moved to guard. He is massive. 6'5'' 330 pounds. If he's there in Round 3, I think you have to take him.

Edit: BTW, there's a handful of guys I didn't mention, Beadles from the Broncos. He's a guy who might stay with his current team and won't bother hitting free agency, so I didn't mention them. I merely try to mention realistic targets, and also mention the top guys and why they will or will not go after that particular player. They have a ton of cap space, but they can't get the top guys, they sorta have to pick and choose where they want to get the premium free agent talent.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2014 Offseason: Offensive Line 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 am

Looks like Collins is going to sign with the Bucs with Saffold possibly going to the Raiders.

Edit: Shawn Lauvao has signed a 4 yr/$17 million deal. He's 26 years of age, 6'3' 315 pounds so he fits what Jay Gruden wants in a lineman (big, hefty). He graded out poorly in PFF though. One would assume he's going to be the starting right guard.

Signed Bruce Campbell to a 1 year deal. 19 games, never made a career start. Could just be training camp fodder/backup.
Cle_town_sports
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: 2014 Offseason: Offensive Line (Lauvao, Campbell signed) 

Post#3 » by Cle_town_sports » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 am

Shaun lavauo is not under rated. Big contract for someone who really should be a roster backup like he was when he got benched last year.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2014 Offseason: Offensive Line (Lauvao, Campbell signed) 

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 am

Cle_town_sports wrote:Shaun lavauo is not under rated. Big contract for someone who really should be a roster backup like he was when he got benched last year.

Never said he was underrated. It is an interesting signing because one could argue that he'd still be on the market if he wasn't signed by the Redskins. He played with a high ankle sprain last year so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.Who knows.

Return to Washington Football Team