[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Defensive Line

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

2014 Offseason: Defensive Line 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Adam Carikker has already been released.

Chris Baker was re-signed to a 3 year contract, and from what I read he will most likely be the starting right defensive end.

I'm sure Barry Cofield will be back, but Stephen Bowen could be the odd man out. He had microfracture surgery, and could be cut soon.

Don't forget about Jarvis Jenkins, who battled injuries and a suspension last year. Hopefully he puts it all together this upcoming season.

As far as free agency is concerned, they have been linked to Linval Joseph of the NY Giants. He's 25 years of age, and is a pretty solid run stopping defenseman. Not sure if he will fit into the Skins' price range though.

They have also been linked to Arthur Jones of the Ravens. He could be cheaper alternative than Joseph, but is 2 years older. Random note, but he is the brother of UFC fighter Jon 'Bones' Jones, so his family is pretty athletic. I wouldn't mind this signing.

Former Terp Randy Starks has also been mentioned as a possibility for the Skins. But he's getting up there in age, anything longer than a 3 year deal is a mistake.

Prior to Red Bryant signing with the Jaguars, he mentioned the Redskins had contacted him. So clearly the team is looking to upgrade the defensive line. Personally, I think they need a big fat defensive lineman. Not the slow, plodding one, but an anchor on the line that can stuff the run. We seem to be too light on both sides of the ball so hopefully that will change with the new regime.

Draft wise? Not a clue. I would love to get Louis Nix from Notre Dame, but he's a first round talent. If we had our first round pick, I would not be surprised if that were taken on Clowney, and would solve a ton of our defensive line issues. But I think if they can get a couple of players along the defensive line, then the issue would more or less be solved. They still have Chris Neild, and I believe Kendrick Golston is still under contract so they have some depth, but it would be great if they came away from free agency with two starting players for their defensive line.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2014 Offseason: Defensive Line 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Jones is going to the Colts, per reports on Twitter, so one target is off the board.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Jared Allen maybe to the Broncos. Probably wasn't on our radar, though. I'm also hoping with don't give up assets for Julius Peppers (rumored to be on the trade block).
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Wow, DeMarcus Ware getting $30M over 3 years ($20M guaranteed over the first 2). Elway basically trying to win the 2015 Super Bowl.

Based on that, younger guys like Allen/Peppers have to be licking their chops. Good thing they don't fit in our 3-4 or I'd be worried. LOL
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:25 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins

The Redskins have signed former Dallas defensive lineman Jason Hatcher, his agent tweeted and the team confirmed. The four-year contract is worth $27.5 million, according to sources. It's the biggest deal handed out this free agency by Washington, which sought to bolster its pass rush.

<snip>

A source said the Redskins are also trying to finalize a deal with another Cowboys' free agent, defensive end Anthony Spencer.

Always have mixed feelings when the Skins go after ex-'Boys, but I think we're better on D-line after this.

Wave goodbye to Bowen! LOL
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 am

Apparently Bowen and Hatcher are good friends, so I'm not sure if Bowen is cut just yet. But this was a terrific signing. Even though he's 32, he's only started for less than a handful of years so not a lot of miles on those tires. Great signing by this team.

Return to Washington Football Team