ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers TV network thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Lakers TV network thread 

Post#1 » by USA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 pm

I was just told that the Lakers just signed a 20 year deal with Time Warner beginning in 12-13 season. No more KCAL or Fox Sports.

Has anyone heard about this? I wonder what will happen if you don't have Time Warner cable? They couldn't possibly be stupid enough not to show the games if you don't, could they?
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Re: Rumor? 

Post#2 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#3 » by Jetset » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 pm

Epic win.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#4 » by USA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 am

If it is 24/7 lakers, the world would be a better place.

This better be available in the basic cable package. I will be pissed if I have to pay for an extra channel.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#5 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 am

change thread title bro
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#6 » by Hunter103 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:30 am

This better be available outside of the LA area :banghead:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,463

Post#7 » by dockingsched » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:02 am

Hunter103 wrote:This better be available outside of the LA area :banghead:

it'll be available to all current lakers regions like socal, nevada, and hawaii.

“This long-term agreement represents a huge win for all Lakers fans, providing destination channels, more content and more platforms for the Lakers, one of the premier brands in professional sports today,” said Glenn Britt, Time Warner Cable’s Chairman and CEO.

There promises to be greater Lakers coverage with the new networks, which will be available to all providers in existing Lakers country, such as Southern California, Nevada and Hawaii. Besides the games, the networks would have other original Lakers programming.

Time Warner’s announcement promoted the following for Lakers fans:

* A single destination where Lakers fans can find all locally-televised home and away games and a variety of new and original Lakers’ content featuring behind-the-scenes, personality and classic programming.
* All Lakers games will be produced in high definition, with state-of-the-art technology and high production values in English & Spanish. The Spanish-language channel is a stand alone RSN with its own dedicated production of game telecasts and other unique content tailored to Spanish speaking Lakers fans – not SAP feed.

* All games will feature pre- and post-game shows produced separately in both English and Spanish.

* A Lakers news and magazine show throughout the season.

* Joint community-relations initiatives.

* New online and on-demand multi-platform content featuring the Lakers.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Re: Lakers starting new TV network in 2012-13 

Post#8 » by Hunter103 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:40 am

It better be, I'm dangerously close to GSW territory :(
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Post#9 » by KB24TBOTB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 am

Hunter103 wrote:This better be available outside of the LA area :banghead:

I better be availabe in Canada!
Saint18
Sophomore
And1: 0

Time Warner Cable 

Post#10 » by Saint18 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 am

Looks like the Lakers inked a deal with Time Warner before the loss :

Prior to the Lakers game against the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday at Time Warner Cable Arena, the team announced the deal with the network that will show all locally available pre-season, regular season and postseason Lakers games.

Finances of the deal were not released, per Lakers team policy. It undoubtedly promises to be a lucrative arrangement that will go into effect at the beginning of the 2012-13 season, when the current deals with broadcast partners KCAL Channel 9 and Fox Sports Net expire.
LA Forever
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#11 » by LA Forever » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 am

Freakin' awesome. My TV will be on this channel 24/7.
Basketball Reasons
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#12 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 am

Does this mean we get a real halftime show for away games? rather than 18 minutes of commercials and 2 minutes of norm and james for jack at the half?

regardless this is AWESOME
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#13 » by laduane1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 am

I just hope it will be a channel that will be able to get to without more price increases. Taking away from the free TV seems a little harse. Why can they not share it with the main channel. I have Time Warner so it is not a big deal unless it is on a high end tier.

Time will settle many questions.

What about Dish Network, AT & T and Virzon.. You can not cut that many systems off. Million of people will get shafted. More answers as they come I hope.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by dockingsched » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:40 am

laduane1 wrote:I just hope it will be a channel that will be able to get to without more price increases. Taking away from the free TV seems a little harse. Why can they not share it with the main channel. I have Time Warner so it is not a big deal unless it is on a high end tier.

What about Dish Network, AT & T and Virzon.. You can not cut that many systems off. Million of people will get shafted. More answers as they come I hope.

thats not really an issue. think of the new channel like tbs and tnt, channels also run by time warner.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
KingLakers
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#15 » by KingLakers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 am

This Lakers channel sounds like a west cost version of the Yes Network probably the other LA teams might eventually have all their games on it also. Also I guess this means Prime Ticket could be on its last legs after the Lakers move.
GO LAKERS
Flipdog69xxx
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#16 » by Flipdog69xxx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm

well thank goodness we have Time Warner in my house, now just gotta worry about possibly paying for an extra channel.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#17 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

dcash4 wrote:
laduane1 wrote:I just hope it will be a channel that will be able to get to without more price increases. Taking away from the free TV seems a little harse. Why can they not share it with the main channel. I have Time Warner so it is not a big deal unless it is on a high end tier.

thats not really an issue. think of the new channel like tbs and tnt, channels also run by time warner.

That's not really cool though. Away games used to be free to people without cable. It would be lame to force people to get cable to watch these.

It benefits most since most people probably have cable, but I think it could screw over several people too.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#18 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 pm

it was just reported, a 20 year deal with 30mil per?

wow, now thats a deal that cannot be turned down.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:it was just reported, a 20 year deal with 30mil per?

wow, now thats a deal that cannot be turned down.

nah, more like 150mil per. they're saying its worth 3 billion to the lakers and as a result allows the buss family to maintain ownership

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/billion-d ... mily-29495

Yesterday Joe Flint of the LOS ANGELES TIMES and this morning John Ourand of SPORTS BUSINESS DAILY reported the Lakers have agreed to a 20-year local broadcast rights agreement with Time Warner Cable for an eye-popping $3 billion.

Though Flint also reported that Time Warner officials “dismisssed” the $3 billion figure, I’ve been told by multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations today that that number is accurate, with one source noting to me that the reported $3 billion number “may actually be conservative.”

While this is big news for Lakers fans, the more important part of this story is what it will mean to the ownership of the team.

From Flint:

Witmer said the move to get into business with the Lakers is part of its overall desire to “control our economic destiny.”

Translation: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss now officially has the financial wherewithal to transfer the franchise to his children - who currently run the team’s day-to-day operation.

In 2009, Buss told L.A. Times Magazine:

“It’s a severe economic issue for me. It’s an ongoing one, and I’m addressing it as best I can. I’m prepaying the taxes, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I live long enough to accomplish the whole thing.”

Ironic in that, god forbid, had Buss died in 2010 there would’ve been no inheritance tax. But since that loophole has now closed, Buss needed TWC’s enormous cash infusion to ensure the Lakers would stay in the Buss family.

With that in mind, if paying a little more for cable means the Lakers live on as a Buss production, most Lakers fans I know here in L.A. view that as a bargain.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#20 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:09 pm

wow. financial woes taken care of.

MELO AND D12 HERE WE COME!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers